Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1321 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:56 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:13 pm
T.Q. wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:44 pm Death Mask

MartinHafer 2/10. :shock:

I actually liked it. :lol:

I mean it was quite predictable but I like the heist and switcheroo stories.

Me thinks McGarrett needed a warrant for hacking up the sculpture at the end. :P

Hope you’re doing okay Ivan.

MPI: Robert Ellenstein (Saul), Richard Vales, Beau Vanden Ecker
Yep this was a pretty good heist caper. Not a great episode but not bad either. Certainly nowhere near 2/10. You'll see (and probably already seeing) some really low numbers/ratings for many of these episodes. All of a sudden people are nitpicking things that they didn't nitpick about the earlier season episodes. I liked the Egyptian flavor to the proceedings.

Yes, Saul Greenberg was in this one. Also some big "old Hollywood" names like Cyd Charisse and Rory Calhoun. I remember being really shocked/surprised many years ago when I first saw this episode when the stolen mask ended up being under that lion sculpture that she was sculpting (was it a lion?) - I remember thinking that was a genius hiding place!
Not really. Bucha massacre. Genocide in Ukrainian towns. When will it end?
I’m so sorry Ivan. The war crimes are only mounting and Bucha is just horrific. My thoughts are with you, your family, all Ukrainians, and as a teacher, the children suffering through this atrocity.
Thanks Pahonu. When traveling from Kyiv to Lviv some years back we passed through towns exactly like Bucha and Irpin and Hostomel. Peaceful, hardworking people living there. Just living their lives and raising their children. What in the world did they do to deserve such a fate? Innocent civilians tortured and executed, women and girls raped and killed, children with their legs shot off and killed (the bastards were playing "hunting Safari games" with them). It staggers the mind!! There needs to be a complete cleansing of the Kremlin and of the Russian mindset as a whole. Russia in its current state will ALWAYS be a threat to Ukraine and the West. It's not just a matter of taking out Putin. It's the whole culture he breeds and those who idolize him and who think Putin's Russia is the way forward. God help us all. The fact that 80% of Russians support this war is beyond scary and we're not talking about some old fogies who don't have access to the internet who fondly long for the Soviet times and only have access to TV and the brainwashing that they get from the state-controlled TV. We're talking about the younger generation too (most who were born after the fall of the Soviet Union) who do have access to outside sources (or at least did prior to this war) who still blindly follow their murderous scumbag leader and chant his name like some zombies in a trance. It's truly scary. There's something seriously wrong when those living in Ukraine call their family members in Russia and tell them what's going on but they still choose to believe Russian propaganda over their OWN FAMILY!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

What was it that Goebbels said? If you repeat a lie often enough people will accept it as the truth. Even if they have access to true sources. Funny how the Russians (who are on a mission to "de-Nazify Ukraine") are following the Nazi playbook step by step. The lies, the exterminations. History repeating. Nothing new under the sun, as it says in Ecclesiastes.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1322 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:52 pm

Me thinks McGarrett needed a warrant for hacking up the sculpture at the end. :P

Yep this was a pretty good heist caper. Not a great episode but not bad either. Certainly nowhere near 2/10. You'll see (and probably already seeing) some really low numbers/ratings for many of these episodes. All of a sudden people are nitpicking things that they didn't nitpick about the earlier season episodes. I liked the Egyptian flavor to the proceedings.

Yes, Saul Greenberg was in this one. Also some big "old Hollywood" names like Cyd Charisse and Rory Calhoun. I remember being really shocked/surprised many years ago when I first saw this episode when the stolen mask ended up being under that lion sculpture that she was sculpting (was it a lion?) - I remember thinking that was a genius hiding place!
I’m so sorry Ivan. The war crimes are only mounting and Bucha is just horrific. My thoughts are with you, your family, all Ukrainians, and as a teacher, the children suffering through this atrocity.
Thanks Pahonu. When traveling from Kyiv to Lviv some years back we passed through towns exactly like Bucha and Irpin and Hostomel. Peaceful, hardworking people living there. Just living their lives and raising their children. What in the world did they do to deserve such a fate? Innocent civilians tortured and executed, women and girls raped and killed, children with their legs shot off and killed (the bastards were playing "hunting Safari games" with them). It staggers the mind!! There needs to be a complete cleansing of the Kremlin and of the Russian mindset as a whole. Russia in its current state will ALWAYS be a threat to Ukraine and the West. It's not just a matter of taking out Putin. It's the whole culture he breeds and those who idolize him and who think Putin's Russia is the way forward. God help us all. The fact that 80% of Russians support this war is beyond scary and we're not talking about some old fogies who don't have access to the internet who fondly long for the Soviet times and only have access to TV and the brainwashing that they get from the state-controlled TV. We're talking about the younger generation too (most who were born after the fall of the Soviet Union) who do have access to outside sources (or at least did prior to this war) who still blindly follow their murderous scumbag leader and chant his name like some zombies in a trance. It's truly scary. There's something seriously wrong when those living in Ukraine call their family members in Russia and tell them what's going on but they still choose to believe Russian propaganda over their OWN FAMILY!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

What was it that Goebbels said? If you repeat a lie often enough people will accept it as the truth. Even if they have access to true sources. Funny how the Russians (who are on a mission to "de-Nazify Ukraine") are following the Nazi playbook step by step. The lies, the exterminations. History repeating. Nothing new under the sun, as it says in Ecclesiastes.
Yes, I’ve read about and seen interviews of several individuals describe how their own families back in Russia won’t believe what’s happening to them in Ukraine. I particularly recall an interview with one mother, who had fled west with her children while her husband stayed behind to fight. This woman’s own parents in Russia refused to believe the violence she had personally experienced with THEIR grandchildren. It’s hard to even understand and tragic on so many levels. Be safe.

Edit:

I’m watching an interview right now on CNN with a young Ukrainian woman Anastasia Belomytseva who is describing exactly this phenomenon. She also describes her family as being fearful of writing anything negative on Instagram.
Last edited by Pahonu on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1323 Post by T.Q. »

The Pagoda Factor

And... MartinHafer liked it (though still trashing Season 11)... I didn't. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Found this one semi-boring.

I liked Joey Lee, his desire to get out of gang life, and the last scene with McGarrett after his beating.

Sergeant Riley was good.

Liked the old Bruce Lee style gang fight too.

Just wasn't that interesting to me.

Pointless anecdote: I have a Hawaiian friend (surrogate Makua Kāne) who often says "I have to go visit my Chinese cousin Toy Lee" when he has to go to the bathroom. So got a kick out of the gang named "Toy Lee".

MPI: Roland Nip, Soo Yong, Michael Hasegawa
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1324 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:28 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:52 pm

Yes, I’ve read about and seen interviews of several individuals describe how their own families back in Russia won’t believe what’s happening to them in Ukraine. I particularly recall an interview with one mother, who had fled west with her children while her husband stayed behind to fight. This woman’s own parents in Russia refused to believe the violence she had personally experienced with THEIR grandchildren. It’s hard to even understand and tragic on so many levels. Be safe.

Edit:

I’m watching an interview right now on CNN with a young Ukrainian woman Anastasia Belomytseva who is describing exactly this phenomenon. She also describes her family as being fearful of writing anything negative on Instagram.
Yes it's unimaginable how cold and detached these people have to be. To not believe their own family about what's happening to THEIR OWN GRANDCHILDREN. God! Are you even a human or an actual zombie????? There was a 16-year-old I think her name was Katya and she lived in Mariupol. She contacted her family in Russia and told them that basically her whole family was killed - she watched her mother die in a basement. The reply from her "family" back in Russia? Katya? Who's Katya? We don't know any Katya. How devastating! You think it's because they are so terrified back in Russia? I don't think so. I think it's just pure callousness and unwillingness to embrace the truth. Basically if I deny these atrocities are actually happening then I'll sleep better at night. Plus Big Comrade who's always watching will leave me alone. I could maybe understand if these were total strangers but these are YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS!!!!!! That's what I can't comprehend. To just deny you even know that person??? How do you sleep at night????

Fleet Admiral

#1325 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:02 am The Pagoda Factor

And... MartinHafer liked it (though still trashing Season 11)... I didn't. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Found this one semi-boring.

I liked Joey Lee, his desire to get out of gang life, and the last scene with McGarrett after his beating.

Sergeant Riley was good.

Liked the old Bruce Lee style gang fight too.

Just wasn't that interesting to me.

Pointless anecdote: I have a Hawaiian friend (surrogate Makua Kāne) who often says "I have to go visit my Chinese cousin Toy Lee" when he has to go to the bathroom. So got a kick out of the gang named "Toy Lee".

MPI: Roland Nip, Soo Yong, Michael Hasegawa
Same here. Never cared about this one. Don't understand the title of the episode either. The Chinese gang stuff just wasn't interesting. Funny how people trash episodes that are actually good but then like those that are very average. The "Toy Lee" anecdote was funny. :)

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1326 Post by T.Q. »

A Long Time Ago

This one was pretty decent.

Danno and his ladies. :P

Bad guy, a murder, $1M cash, ex-felon girlfriend, shady local, a hooker, chickens, a big set-up. What's not to like? :lol:

Kept me guessing what Melissa was up to. Bringing the death of her baby into was a good storyline.

Sad when it was explained at the end.

MPI: Katherine Cannon, Burr DeBenning, Rodney Philip Aiu, Walter Chotzen (original Icepick?), Moe Keale, Bill Bigelow, Debi Parker,
Beau Vanden Ecker
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#1327 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:32 pm A Long Time Ago

This one was pretty decent.

Danno and his ladies. :P

Bad guy, a murder, $1M cash, ex-felon girlfriend, shady local, a hooker, chickens, a big set-up. What's not to like? :lol:

Kept me guessing what Melissa was up to. Bringing the death of her baby into was a good storyline.

Sad when it was explained at the end.

MPI: Katherine Cannon, Burr DeBenning, Rodney Philip Aiu, Walter Chotzen (original Icepick?), Moe Keale, Bill Bigelow, Debi Parker,
Beau Vanden Ecker
Yep, a pretty good one. Certainly superior to the previous one. The story with the baby was really heartbreaking. Burr DeBenning played a real scumbag here! First of 3 scores by Dick DeBenedictis (of COLUMBO and MATLOCK fame). All 3 of his scores are very good, with the best one yet to come - "The Skyline Killer".

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1328 Post by T.Q. »

Why Won't Linda Die?

Bad.

Weird episode. Weird story. Weird pacing. Weird music. Weird acting. :lol:

A Diane/Deirdre Dupres (Sharon Stone) Echos of the Mind type story poorly executed.

Didn’t like it.

MPI: Geoff Heise, Howard Kaohi,

Fleet Admiral

#1329 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:05 pm Why Won't Linda Die?

Bad.

Weird episode. Weird story. Weird pacing. Weird music. Weird acting. :lol:

A Diane/Deirdre Dupres (Sharon Stone) Echos of the Mind type story poorly executed.

Didn’t like it.

MPI: Geoff Heise, Howard Kaohi,
I guess this is another one for me that I don't think is as terrible as people make it out to be. It's better than a handful of season 11 episodes, including "The Pagoda Factor" with the Toy-Lee gang. Yes the whole story is weird but that's because the main character is seriously sick and as a result lets off some weird and creepy vibes. You can see at the very end just how disturbed she really is. I agree that the score by John Cacavas is weird and doesn't sound anything like Five-O (though to be fair we haven't really heard a good Five-O sounding score in a while) but then it sorta fits the weird stuff going on in this episode. Again, nowhere near a great or even particularly good episode but not totally terrible either.

I'm sure the MPI episode that you mention with Sharon Stone (which I am looking forward to seeing!) is superior to this, as it has a pretty high ranking in the fan base and was a 2-parter that kicked off the 5th season. So it better be better! :)

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1330 Post by T.Q. »

The Miracle Man

7/10 on IMDb??? :shock:

I was praying for it to be over.

Didn't like it at all.

And there was no crime committed.

Yikes. Bad episode for me.

Danno seemed really off this episode. Was this the start of the time period I read James MacArthur was unhappy?

MPI: Harry Chang, Peggy Anne Siegmund, Ed Fernandez,

Fleet Admiral

#1331 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:05 pm The Miracle Man

7/10 on IMDb??? :shock:

I was praying for it to be over.

Didn't like it at all.

And there was no crime committed.

Yikes. Bad episode for me.

Danno seemed really off this episode. Was this the start of the time period I read James MacArthur was unhappy?

MPI: Harry Chang, Peggy Anne Siegmund, Ed Fernandez,
"Praying" for it to be over? :) I mean it is an episode about a preacher. Yeah, it's not a very good one. Like you said, no crime was committed. It's basically about a church scandal so you have to wonder why Five-O is even involved. :shock: It's a sleeper of an episode for sure. Not sure I have anything else to add. James Sikking is back again. And the guy who threatens the reverend is played by Pepper Martin who is probably best remembered as the bully who beats up Superman in SUPERMAN II. He was a pro wrestler who later became an actor and he just passed away very recently.

About JMac, I can't remember how he was in this episode. It's not an episode I recall very well. I know that he was becoming increasingly burnt out by this point in the series so I wouldn't be surprised if you can see him phoning it in through many episodes. Once the season ended he went on vacation in South America I believe and one day he just had his agent call them up and tell them that he wasn't coming back. He said it was as simple as that. No big revelation, nothing. Just decided he didn't want to do it anymore. I guess he wasn't bound by any contract to do another season? Or maybe he was but decided to break it anyway. Not sure.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1332 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
Just an aside, perhaps many of you knew the following but it's the first I heard.

Kam Fong(Chin Ho Kelly) was a cop in Honolulu before he became an actor.
And he was at work in the Pearl Harbor shipyards on Dec. 7, 1941 when the Japanese attacked.

I have yet to find any in depth interview with Fong, it would be interesting to get his take on
how the police were portrayed on the show, and what exactly happened to him on Dec. 7.

Jack Lord and his wife gave big donations to charity their whole lives. Countless kids in
need in Hawaii benefited from their generous natures. When Jack died he left a $40 million
estate to his wife, and according to both of their wishes, when she passed everything they
owned went to charities.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1333 Post by T.Q. »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:13 am Hi Guys,
Just an aside, perhaps many of you knew the following but it's the first I heard.

And he was at work in the Pearl Harbor shipyards on Dec. 7, 1941 when the Japanese attacked.

I have yet to find any in depth interview with Fong, it would be interesting to get his take on
how the police were portrayed on the show, and what exactly happened to him on Dec. 7.

Jack Lord and his wife gave big donations to charity their whole lives. Countless kids in
need in Hawaii benefited from their generous natures. When Jack died he left a $40 million
estate to his wife, and according to both of their wishes, when she passed everything they
owned went to charities.
Very interesting.

Yeah, be interesting to read his story if he had ever put it out there.

Great story about the charities.

Mahalo

Fleet Admiral

#1334 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

owned went to charities.
Yes I think it's pretty well known that he was with the HPD before he became an actor. In fact the moment he walked into the casting room and Leonard Freeman saw him he exclaimed "That's my Chin Ho!". Lenny said he just looked like a cop, exactly the type he was looking for. It's also well documented (don't know if you read this too) that he suffered a devastating tragedy in 1944 when 2 B-25 bombers collided in mid-air right over his Honolulu home, destroying the house and killing his wife, their 4-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son. I can't even begin to imagine his loss! :cry: How do you pick up the pieces after something like that???? He later remarried and had 2 sons and 2 daughters, one of those sons being Dennis Chun who of course played Duke on the new Five-0 reboot.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1335 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:25 pm

owned went to charities.
Yes I think it's pretty well known that he was with the HPD before he became an actor. In fact the moment he walked into the casting room and Leonard Freeman saw him he exclaimed "That's my Chin Ho!". Lenny said he just looked like a cop, exactly the type he was looking for. It's also well documented (don't know if you read this too) that he suffered a devastating tragedy in 1944 when 2 B-25 bombers collided in mid-air right over his Honolulu home, destroying the house and killing his wife, their 4-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son. I can't even begin to imagine his loss! :cry: How do you pick up the pieces after something like that???? He later remarried and had 2 sons and 2 daughters, one of those sons being Dennis Chun who of course played Duke on the new Five-0 reboot.
Wow. Very interesting.

Didn't know Dennis Chun was his son. Very cool. I like him.