Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1306 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:21 pm Was out for a few weeks with back problems.

Deadly Courier

MartinHafer loathes the episode.

I thought it was alright.

6/10

Another hypnosis type storyline though?

There were some okay things about it.

Having Danno about to kill McGarrett was fun.

MPI: Stephen Elliott, Irene Yah-Ling Sun, Winston Char, Patricia Herman,
One of my favorites from season 11! I don't get the hate for it at all. Mike hates this one too. Oh well. I love hypnosis type stories. Irene Yah-Ling Sun was good as the evil hypnotizer woman. Felt sorry for Danno when he was being brainwashed/tortured. Very good John Cacavas score too. Mike says it sounds like John Barry, especially at the beginning. I have to agree. I love Barry!

Fleet Admiral

#1307 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:45 pm The Case Against Philip Christie

The Boo-Birds on IMDb hated this one too.

I liked it.

I like courtroom stuff and thought McGarrett on jury duty would be cool.

The reviewers get so bogged down with this is too far fetched, McGarrett never would be chosen for jury duty, etc.

I try to take it as is.

I thought it was entertaining.

Doubt the judge would ever show up at the murder scene but l liked "Lt. Tanaka" being there at the end a la Magnum Tanaka.

MPI: Joe Moore, Kwan Hi Lim (as Judge Kwan Hi Lim which was cool), Madeline Press, Earl Kingston, Edward Sheehan, Fred Ball, Krash Kealoha
Yep, I like this one too. I like courtroom/jury dramas. This was basically FIVE-O doing 12 ANGRY MEN with McGarrett playing the lone dissenting juror a la Henry Fonda. Guest star Janis Paige was playing the Lee J. Cobb role, locking horns with McG. All good fun. So what if it's unlikely that McG would ever be picked for jury duty? Doesn't bother me at all. I just go with it...

P.S. I always thought of the blond and toothy Lou Richards (playing the titular character here) as a poor man's Jameson Parker (A.J. on SIMON & SIMON). :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1308 Post by T.Q. »

I liked them both just fine.

Certainly not 10/10s but good.

Reviewers going on how they're the worst of the season. Worst of the series. Later seasons are terrible... I just don't get.

Season 10 and 11 (so far) are fine to me.

Sure I can see episodes not as great as earlier seasons but the "drop off" is not as catastrophic as people go on and on about.

Still pretty good to me.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#1309 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:35 pm I liked them both just fine.

Certainly not 10/10s but good.

Reviewers going on how they're the worst of the season. Worst of the series. Later seasons are terrible... I just don't get.

Season 10 and 11 (so far) are fine to me.

Sure I can see episodes not as great as earlier seasons but the "drop off" is not as catastrophic as people go on and on about.

Still pretty good to me.
Well said. There's a drop off in quality after season 9 but it's not as catastrophic (as you put it) as they say. Still better than whatever was on television at the time. I'd rather watch latter-day FIVE-O than CHARLIE'S ANGELS or STARSKY & HUTCH or CHiPs or DUKES OF HAZZARD or whatever else was on during that late 70s time period.

And seriously... "Deadly Courier" worst of the series??? :shock: Have they missed the one about the kanaka boy and haole girl running away from home? Or any number of very "routine" episodes that left you shrugging your shoulders? Or the 2 horoscope episodes? Or the one about the Jesus figure and his followers named after some constellations? :?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1310 Post by T.Q. »

Small Potatoes

Very weak episode.

Kinda cool the grudge between McGarrett and the Fed and how he got swept up in the raid.

The lead actress was annoying as heck.

Wasn’t a good one.

MPI: William Bryant, Seth Sakai, Danny Kamekona
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1311 Post by T.Q. »

Forgot to include.

I was flipping channels tonight and the ‘new’ Hawaii Five-0 was on.

Just happened to stop it on the channel and it was the scene with the CGI Jack Lord.

Man it was bad CGI. Looked really bad. :shock:

Fleet Admiral

#1312 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:32 am Small Potatoes

Very weak episode.

Kinda cool the grudge between McGarrett and the Fed and how he got swept up in the raid.

The lead actress was annoying as heck.

Wasn’t a good one.

MPI: William Bryant, Seth Sakai, Danny Kamekona
Agreed again! One of the weakest of the season. But go figure... Mr. Mike and some others think it's one of the stronger ones of the season. But the ones you and I liked (especially "Deadly Courier") they think are terrible. :roll: I don't get it. And I totally agree with you on Zohra Lampert's performance as the scatter-brained Gloria - annoying as heck!! But Mr. Mike liked her performance. Again, go figure. Different strokes for different folks. In fact she acted more "mentally challenged" than "scatter-brained" in my opinion. I just don't get her "performance". :?

The one thing I remember about this episode is Danny Kamekona taking a plunge off the roof after neatly folding his suit jacket. The rest is just annoying banter between Gloria and her boyfriend Johnny Noah.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1313 Post by T.Q. »

In case you missed it.

Awful CGI.

Was 10 years ago though. At least the thought was there to pay homage.

youtu.be/Ya_YCuRJyZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_YCuRJyZ0

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1314 Post by T.Q. »

A Distant Thunder

NAZIS in Hawai'i. :shock:

Good luck purging non-white people from Hawai'i. You picked a bad place for that. White people are like 25%. :P :P :P

Super cheesy but I liked it.

James Olsen did a good job.

They should have been more careful with Danno undercover.

Some of the dialogue (lines) and the written slogans were pretty jolting.

They should have brought the black cop back into the story at the end.

Sidenote: McGarrett at end says there will always be crazy people out there. "Nazis, Communists, Anarchists". Thought to myself, why does it seem in 2022 that Communists and Anarchists are okay now? :lol:

MPI: Elissa Dulce Hoopai, Harold J.K. Isekem, Sam Peters, Haku Kahoano (my friend's brother),

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1315 Post by T.Q. »

Death Mask

MartinHafer 2/10. :shock:

I actually liked it. :lol:

I mean it was quite predictable but I like the heist and switcheroo stories.

Me thinks McGarrett needed a warrant for hacking up the sculpture at the end. :P

Hope you’re doing okay Ivan.

MPI: Robert Ellenstein (Saul), Richard Vales, Beau Vanden Ecker

Fleet Admiral

#1316 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:24 pm In case you missed it.

Awful CGI.

Was 10 years ago though. At least the thought was there to pay homage.

youtu.be/Ya_YCuRJyZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_YCuRJyZ0
Oh yeah, that CGI McGarrett was a complete travesty! No idea what they were thinking or what the point was. So this modern McGarrett meets an alternate universe McGarrett (with a British accent???) and receives some guidance? :shock: Talk about random stuff that does nothing to respect the original McG.

Fleet Admiral

#1317 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:56 pm A Distant Thunder

NAZIS in Hawai'i. :shock:

Good luck purging non-white people from Hawai'i. You picked a bad place for that. White people are like 25%. :P :P :P

Super cheesy but I liked it.

James Olsen did a good job.

They should have been more careful with Danno undercover.

Some of the dialogue (lines) and the written slogans were pretty jolting.

They should have brought the black cop back into the story at the end.

Sidenote: McGarrett at end says there will always be crazy people out there. "Nazis, Communists, Anarchists". Thought to myself, why does it seem in 2022 that Communists and Anarchists are okay now? :lol:

MPI: Elissa Dulce Hoopai, Harold J.K. Isekem, Sam Peters, Haku Kahoano (my friend's brother),
This was a VERY good episode, my second favorite of the season! I have long-standing memories of this one. It was probably the first time I saw James Olson in anything (the first time I saw him on Five-O too) and he did a great job as the Nazi nutsy, as Danno says. :lol: Love that line! I really like the fact that Stoner was basically a loser in his regular life, working menial jobs as a window washer I believe. But he thinks he is somebody when he puts on that Nazi uniform. It gives him some kind of power. Very effective. I loved Mr. Mike's comment that at the end it looks like McGarrett wants to dance with Stoner when he tries to get him to give up his gun. :lol:

I guess Hawaii was swarming with Nazis because then they popped up again on MPI 2 years later. :)

Fleet Admiral

#1318 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:44 pm Death Mask

Me thinks McGarrett needed a warrant for hacking up the sculpture at the end. :P

Yep this was a pretty good heist caper. Not a great episode but not bad either. Certainly nowhere near 2/10. You'll see (and probably already seeing) some really low numbers/ratings for many of these episodes. All of a sudden people are nitpicking things that they didn't nitpick about the earlier season episodes. I liked the Egyptian flavor to the proceedings.

Yes, Saul Greenberg was in this one. Also some big "old Hollywood" names like Cyd Charisse and Rory Calhoun. I remember being really shocked/surprised many years ago when I first saw this episode when the stolen mask ended up being under that lion sculpture that she was sculpting (was it a lion?) - I remember thinking that was a genius hiding place!
Not really. Bucha massacre. Genocide in Ukrainian towns. When will it end?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1319 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:13 pm All of a sudden people are nitpicking things that they didn't nitpick about the earlier season episodes.
Absolutely 100%. Big time. The reviews have really changed. Really picky indeed. Every detail scrutinized all of a sudden.

Hang in there Ivan.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1320 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:13 pm
T.Q. wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:44 pm Death Mask

Yep this was a pretty good heist caper. Not a great episode but not bad either. Certainly nowhere near 2/10. You'll see (and probably already seeing) some really low numbers/ratings for many of these episodes. All of a sudden people are nitpicking things that they didn't nitpick about the earlier season episodes. I liked the Egyptian flavor to the proceedings.

Yes, Saul Greenberg was in this one. Also some big "old Hollywood" names like Cyd Charisse and Rory Calhoun. I remember being really shocked/surprised many years ago when I first saw this episode when the stolen mask ended up being under that lion sculpture that she was sculpting (was it a lion?) - I remember thinking that was a genius hiding place!
I’m so sorry Ivan. The war crimes are only mounting and Bucha is just horrific. My thoughts are with you, your family, all Ukrainians, and as a teacher, the children suffering through this atrocity.