The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#316 Post by J.J. Walters »

Well, I just sat through The Hardy Boys "Wipe Out" (1977). No Anderson Estate.

Boy was that painful! Horrible script, horrible acting, horrible show! I even had to watch Shaun Cassidy sing two Beach Boys songs ("Fun, Fun, Fun" & "Surfin' USA")! I love the Beach Boys, but Shaun Cassidy just totally trashed those songs and made an absolute mockery of them! :evil:

There were a few positives in the experience, however - a couple of decent surfing shots, a cool early '70s Volkwagen 181 ("Thing") was used quite a bit, and Patch MacKenzie. :)

Next!...
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Kimbosan
Captain

Search Light on the ocean side

#317 Post by Kimbosan »

I was watching “two Birds of a Feather” series 3, where a plane crashes into the tidal pool, during that evening the lads were disturbed and Magnum and Higgins run out to the ocean side of the estate and turn on a huge search light…..is that still there or was it a prop?

Kimbosan…..
:?: :?:
Kimbosan

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#318 Post by J.J. Walters »

Pahonu continues to amaze!...

:shock:

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#319 Post by 308GTS »

Wow, I can't believe that this thread is still going - nearly 3 years on!
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#320 Post by steveadl »

RC,

Sorry as I'm sure you've been asked this before - but I've just gotta know how you find all the locations you do. ie. you grab the screen shots from the episodes, but without something like Google Street View (which only just uploaded Oahu in Nov.) - how do you find the locations in "today's" world?

Also, you linked to your location guide recently so I've been checking it out on GE, but can't find the thread where you update the locations and post the latest file (searched for it to no avail).

Cheers
Steve

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#321 Post by J.J. Walters »

steveadl wrote:RC,

Sorry as I'm sure you've been asked this before - but I've just gotta know how you find all the locations you do. ie. you grab the screen shots from the episodes, but without something like Google Street View (which only just uploaded Oahu in Nov.) - how do you find the locations in "today's" world?

Also, you linked to your location guide recently so I've been checking it out on GE, but can't find the thread where you update the locations and post the latest file (searched for it to no avail).

Cheers
Steve
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=908
http://magnum-mania.com/A_Rubber_Chicken_Guide.html

Paging rubber chicken...

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#322 Post by steveadl »

Thanks for the links JJ.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#323 Post by rubber chicken »

steveadl wrote:Sorry as I'm sure you've been asked this before - but I've just gotta know how you find all the locations you do. ie. you grab the screen shots from the episodes, but without something like Google Street View (which only just uploaded Oahu in Nov.) - how do you find the locations in "today's" world?
I've learned many tricks of the trade, so to speak. I try to squeeze every possible clue out of what the show offers, and then if I need to I try to use all the internet has to offer to investigate those clues. It often boils down to having a good feel for different parts of the island, and being able to picture the scene from above in order to work with aerial photos. For the more difficult locations it can involve a considerable amount of time simply searching large areas that I think are good candidates. Fortunately I've gotten to the point where finding locations is often the shortest part of completing a placemark in Google Earth. Google street view does help to confirm some locations now that it's available for most of Oahu, but sometimes it feels a bit like cheating compared to using aerial photos. Luckily it's only useful if I'm able to get to that location in the first place.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#324 Post by rubber chicken »

OK, I've really been slacking on adding pictures of the estate to this thread. I apologize for that!

The reader should be advised not to get too excited, but I have the screenshots from the Murder She Wrote episode Death in Hawaii. It's the forth episode in season 11, and originally aired on October 16th, 1994.

The letdown is that the estate wasn't actually used as a filming location in this episode. It is seen however, for literally about two and a half seconds, via stock footage taken from a Magnum P.I. episode!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the show didn't even go to Hawaii for this episode. I watched it a few months ago now, but if I remember correctly there isn't a single shot proving that Angela Lansbury was actually on Oahu. Stock footage (possibly more from Magnum) is used as establishing shots, but outside shots made for this episode appear to me to have been shot in California, not on Oahu.

In the show, the estate footage is supposed to show Jessica Fletcher and a lady police officer in between leaving the police station and arriving at the "Kinkaid sugar mill". (I didn't really check, but I believe the Waialua Sugar Mill is seen in stock footage.) The estate footage shows the Audi on the driveway quickly leaving the estate, err... police station. It doesn't really make sense.

This might make for a good game though. Can anyone name the episode? It would be an episode where Higgins or someone else driving the Audi is leaving the estate, needing to get somewhere quick. And judging by the dust already over the driveway, it appears that another car had just recently driven down it. The three screenshots below show the beginning, middle, and end of the 2.5 second clip seen in Death in Hawaii.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#325 Post by J.J. Walters »

Well that's a bummer! :x

My first thought was "No Need to Know", but, really, it could be dozens of others.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#326 Post by Steve »

I can't help out there either, other than to offer my sincere condolences that you had to endure a "Murder She Wrote" episode.........The horror!!!!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#327 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks Steve. :) It wouldn't have been that bad if it was actually shot on Oahu, but I made it through ok regardless. I used to have to watch the show at my grandmothers house, and that was pretty tough, but now I'm not as negative about it.

James - I thought of No Need to Know as well, but then I thought Higgins doesn't drive away quickly at the end. I scanned though the episode and I didn't see the MSW clip anywhere.

Someone here has to know this though. How many times did the Audi drive away so fast, soon after another car had used the driveway and kicked up dust?

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#328 Post by MACattack »

Man I wish I could win the lottery and buy that house/estate!
I just don't give a damn!

gmt16750
Captain

#329 Post by gmt16750 »

Has anyone ever got an idea of Robin nest value?
How much would it cost?
(no i didn't win the lottery but i always wondered about the price and i am curious to compare it with what we can find in here, on the Côte d'azur ;) )
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#330 Post by Sam »

Zillow now estimates its value at 4.3 million,down from a high of 6.7 million in Jan 2008.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/41-50 ... 5637_zpid/