Help! Going to Hawaii for the first time...

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Dwayne Dailey,Esq.
Ensign

Help! Going to Hawaii for the first time...

#1 Post by Dwayne Dailey,Esq. »

Great forum here! I've been a longtime lurker and have just got around to registering. Anyway,i'm going to visit Hawaii for the first time in a couple of weeks. I want to take a day and do a "Magnum Tour". Besides the Estate of course,can anybody give me their top 10 must see Magnum sites? It's been a couple of years since i've watched the show on a regular basis and not everything is fresh in my mind,etc. I won't have time to do it all,so I thought a best of 10 sites or so would be great to do. Any help I could get on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Cheers!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Greetings Dwayne! Welcome!

I would say start with these two pages:

http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/On_Location.html
http://magnum-mania.com/A_Rubber_Chicken_Guide.html

My top locations would be:

The Estate & Tidal Pool
Hawaii Film Studio
Waialae Beach Park
Elks Honolulu Lodge
Marks Estate
Byodo-In Temple
St. Andrews Cathedral & The Parke Chapel
Walker Estate
Alexander Estate
Makai Research Pier
Chinatown/Hotel Street
Outrigger Canoe Club
Haleiwa
Makapuu Point
Round Top Drive
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I wouldn't miss the Kahala beach resort.
You can see it in most of the epiodes at the beginning (Magnum jogging, meeting the guys in the KKC.

Edit: realize, that Waialae beach is the Kahala beach....

Dwayne Dailey,Esq.
Ensign

#4 Post by Dwayne Dailey,Esq. »

Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it...

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"Waialae beach is the Kahala beach" nope. Kahala beach extends much beyond Waialae beach. The minor is a small part of the major.

Jaybird
Admiral

#6 Post by Jaybird »

A drive from Waikiki to Kailua will have you recognizing many locations including the pier where a number of episodes were filmed. You can stop at Waimanalo Beach Park just past the estate and wade or swim around to the estate's tidal pool. I recommend checking the tide charts and avoiding high tide as you'll find no beach left! The beach park is lovely.

To find the estate reference off the mountain across the street and the big macadamia nut tree. You'll see the gate but fencing won't allow you to peek into the grounds.

Another route would take the tunnel from Honolulu and reversing the route but then you would always be looking to your left and you might risk a head-on collision.

One of the world's nicest beaches is right in Kailua and Lanikai. Lanikai is more private, romantic and all that. Rent a kayak from Twogood's and paddle over to the Mokes'!
Enjoy.