MGI Has Died and Gone to Heaven

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#31 Post by golfmobile »

Outhouse,

Here's the background on MGI:

Roaming Magnum G.I.

Blogs are in reverse chronological order, remember, so to get past posts you will need to go to the Archives in the lower left column, and there you can find "adventures" by date. Go all the back to the first one, and you'll find out how he started. He hasn't been doing much for the last few months, as I haven't been doing anything to take him anywhere. He's making up for it now, but I've been so busy posting his current travels here that I haven't added them to his very own web page. I may do that on the airplane going home, when I'll have lots of time . . . .

Off to edit pictures from today to post. BRB

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Zeus73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#32 Post by Zeus73 »

Thanks Golf!

Actually I'm thinking about to go to Paradise...next year...

It's quite a long trip from Italy! Do you think August is good month to visit Hawaii since I'll hardly have the chance to go there in another period of the year

Ciao
I say...Magnum

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#33 Post by SelleckLover »

Zeus73 wrote:
Do you think August is good month to visit Hawaii since I'll hardly have the chance to go there in another period of the year
I've always found it to be more advantageous to visit Oahu in the off-season. (March-April-May) But, if August is the only time you will have off, then try not to spend too much time in Honolulu. It is very crowded in the summer. I would stick to the other side of the island. (The Kanehoe side is my favorite!) There is still much to see and do there and the crowds are much smaller and sparse. But if you like the tourist-ish sort of experience, and don't mind the crowds, you can spend a whole week in Honolulu and be entertained quite nicely.

The above is just my personal preference and is based on my own experiences there. There may be someone who has a different recommendation, and maybe they can offer some advice...anybody care to add anything? :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#34 Post by golfmobile »

I agree with SelleckLover. It was crowded enough in Waikiki for the one night that we were there that I NEVER want to have to stay there. We're on the windward side, as suggested by SL, though we are in Waimanalo, which is probably about 5-7 miles southeast of Kaneohe. But even here, the beaches can get crowded, and we picked this time so it wouldn't be as bad, since at this time most of the kiddies have gone back to school; however, it's not so much the beaches that are crowded but the parking lots for the beaches. That can create a bit of a challenge.

However, if the only time you can get here at all is not the most ideal time for a visit with respect to the tourist hoards, go whenever you can. Better to have been here at least once under any circumstances than not to have been here at all.

More later,

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:I was at the gate facing the pool and heard dogs barking behind me at the gate. Of course, one thinks, “The lads!” But it was a black retriever and a white (or cream, not really very golden unless he’s just very old) retriever. I heard a voice call them back and through the foliage could see a white-haired lady walking along and she raised her arm and waved. I hung around for a few minutes to see if she would come speak to me, but she did not.
I think it's hilarious that two dogs are still roaming the grounds of the estate. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Steve »

James J. Walters wrote:
golfmobile wrote:I was at the gate facing the pool and heard dogs barking behind me at the gate. Of course, one thinks, “The lads!” But it was a black retriever and a white (or cream, not really very golden unless he’s just very old) retriever. I heard a voice call them back and through the foliage could see a white-haired lady walking along and she raised her arm and waved. I hung around for a few minutes to see if she would come speak to me, but she did not.
I think it's hilarious that two dogs are still roaming the grounds of the estate. :)
It seems as though a good time to visit The Tidal Pool is early in the morning to get a glimpse of and hopefully a chat with the Dowager Lady Anderson.......

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#37 Post by golfmobile »

You would hardly believe it, but IT GETS BETTER!!! Yesterday we met with CM for five hours! We met him at his storage facility and he showed us a magnificent portion of his collection, probably the best part. But after spending so much time with him and seeing what he has, Larry and I have no doubt that he is who he claims to be. I don’t have time to tell you the full story right now, but I will do so when I have hours to tell you about it – probably on the flight home. Trust me, I will tell all! He was gracious enough to spend about two hours with us with the “stuff,” and we took pictures. And HE asked if I had MGI with me because he thought MGI should be in the pictures with the “stuff.” Therefore:

Show above with MGI are such things are pieces of Higgins’ Bridge on the River Kwai, Larry Manetti’s first team ring (he lost it and they had to replace it and then it was found, a story I will get to later), TM’s MIA bracelet (costume duplicate? I thought the original was in the Smithsonian or something like that? TS kept? Of course, I’m sure lots of props used frequently had duplicates. Still . . . one from the show . . .). Also a brass version of the team ring used by stunt doubles, pocket knives used in various episodes (CM didn’t recall which episode, and I don’t know, but someone probably will), the dried out rubber chicken whose head was cut off!!!! The body was stuffed into a bag, so over the last 20 years in storage, it “petrified” into a rather stiff gobble-dee-gook lump, so I doubt it could be straightened out or it would fall apart. But to have both pieces anyway??!! The one with the tape on his neck was one that was complete and they just taped his neck to look as though the head had been cut off.

That’s a close up of the rings (Larry got to put them on!): the pinkie ring worn by Alan Hales in “All Thieves on Deck,” (and he had the tube of film out of the tiki idol from this show too), Manetti’s, and the brass stunt one.

Above is the shirt from “Memories are Forever.”

And, yes, he has the license tags! The real one (metal with trimmed edges so the corners of the tag wouldn't show at the corners of the Ferrari’s license plate frame), a dummy duplicate that was actually used the most because the real one kept getting stolen, or attempts were made every time they parked the car at a public venue, someone would sneak up and try to steal it, and the original was an official Hawaii car tag, so they ended up using a mock-up, plus a third one that was another “back-up” legitimate Hawaii tag.

Larry and I took dozens and dozens of pictures, but I can’t get them all uploaded to the internet with this lousy internet connection I have here, but I will as soon as I can so you can see close-ups of everything we saw.

Examples of other samples: the hospital tag from Limbo (I’m going to spot using quotes for now, too much hassle), cough drop wrappers from once when TS was semi-sick and had to keep sucking cough drops (SL, these and the wrist tag are for you!), a commando military knife used in some episode (I’m sure someone here can ID it, I can’t), two versions of the necklace with a gold leaf on it (I don’t know episode, someone will [IDKESW]) and a duplicate with glued sand so it would look like it was pulled up from the surf/shore, crew end-of-season gifts such as a MGI baseball cap with the MPI show name and cross of L, a MPI watch, belt buckle (like the one recently sold on eBay), key ring; show props such as hockey mask from I Never Wanted to Go to France Anyway, 1930s brass lighter used by TM to light his cigar in Murder by Night, TM’s wallet (with some of TS’ actual gas cards as filler, plus his Blue Cross-Blue Shield health insurance card), Mac’s military ID, a key ring with a white plastic basketball player throwing a ball up (IDKESW) and back-up dupe, the Treasure paperback (filler is Joyce Brothers book), broken Ray-Bans from Solo Flight, AAPI award – broken stump and full glass (not broken but with lines of glue on back used in the episode after the episode in which TM got the award and it appeared to get broken at the end of the episode – CM suggested using the back-up awad with glue on it to look as though TM had found all the pieces and glued them back together and it was used in the following episode – anyone remember seeing the “repaired” one on display?), the earring Linda Lee Ellison retrieved from the gutter, etc.

Many original shooting scripts with different revision page colors and hand-written notes (probably crew scripts, not the cast’s, but still original scripts), such as Murder by Might, Murder 101, PhotoPlay, Professor Jonathan Higgins, Little Games, Kiss of the Saber, Luther Gillis: File 1001 (I may not remember that number correctly), Way of the Stalking Horse, Laura (!!!), Solo Flight, Panioli, Old Acquaintance, This Island Isn’t Big Enough, Compulsion – these are just the ones he showed us.

What all he showed us was just some of the contents of one or two boxes he had pulled out. He worked on the show for the last six seasons. Long story, will get to that later too. But I wanted to get all this out to you now. There also some VHS tapes of behind the scenes stuff (we saw one tape, for example, with preparations with Frank Sinatra and Carol Burnett), there are others but he just wanted to show us this one. Betamax tapes of “dailies,” some 35mm negative film (I believe that’s what it was), other VHS takes taken by different folks, some by TS, just fooling around on the set filming, like "home movies."

And I thought being at the tidal pool was heaven for MGI. This was THE most mind-boggling, exciting, totally unique experience I have ever had. Everyone of you should be pea green with envy.

Now I just have to say ‘THANK HEAVEN FOR MAGNUM-MANIA!!!’ Without it – and James – and everyone here – I would never have had this experience, as I wouldn’t have been able to get in touch with this wonderful, generous, gracious, charming, entertaining, delightful man. I wouldn’t have known what I was looking at – I can’t express adequately what a very unique time this was, so special.

But more detail when I have more time. OH, and by the way, CM took us to lunch at Sam Choy's seafood restaurant after our viewing. So much to tell you and so little time right now to tell it all. Again, I promise a blow-by-blow when I have the time to tell it all with all the correct detail. I'm sure this is enough excitement for now. I'm still high on the experience!!

And he never would tell me his real name, but that's his choice, so I just called him "Michael." He was kind enough to say I look a little like Hope Lange (I wish!)

the euphoric golf (forgive any typos or mistakes, I'm trying to hurry to get this posted for you)
Last edited by golfmobile on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Portside, buddy."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#38 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

That is awesome Golf! I have loved living vicariously through your trip!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Steve »

Wow.....I am speechless! Talk about breaking thru the fourth wall. I can't wait to hear the stories he had and what he is going to do with the treasure......

Sparkle & Fizz
Rear Admiral

#40 Post by Sparkle & Fizz »

Oh my! This is incredible! Don't you feel like you know all of these items after so many years of viewing?

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Thanks again for your posts.

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MPS »

Amazing, Golf, just amazing!!! I'm am so happy that you were able to meet CM and check out just a fraction (??) of the memorabilia that he has.

Thanks for sharing with us! Can't wait for the rest of the story! Enjoy the rest of your vacation. :D
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

VM02
Rear Admiral

#42 Post by VM02 »

Echoing: Wow. Color me Jealous

VM02 (traveling Vicariously through Golf)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#43 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:You would hardly believe it, but IT GETS BETTER!!! Yesterday we met with CM for five hours! We met him at his storage facility and he showed us a magnificent portion of his collection, probably the best part. But after spending so much time with him and seeing what he has, Larry and I have no doubt that he is who he claims to be. I don’t have time to tell you the full story right now, but I will do so when I have hours to tell you about it – probably on the flight home. Trust me, I will tell all! He was gracious enough to spend about two hours with us with the “stuff,” and we took pictures. And HE asked if I had MGI with me because he thought MGI should be in the pictures with the “stuff.” Therefore:

:shock:

Yes!! My "little voice" was right! I just had a feeling this guy was legit! :)
I'm so glad you had an enjoyable time with him golf! This is fantastic. MGI truly has died and gone to heaven!
golfmobile wrote:the dried out rubber chicken whose head was cut off!!!! The body was stuffed into a bag, so over the last 20 years in storage, it “petrified” into a rather stiff gobble-dee-gook lump, so I doubt it could be straightened out or it would fall apart.
LMAO!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#44 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow golf! Your last post was SPECTACULAR! You've found the "holy-grail" of Magnum fans everywhere! What a treat!! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to future posts!!!! This is so VERY COOL!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Zeus73
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#45 Post by Zeus73 »

SelleckLover wrote:Zeus73 wrote:
Do you think August is good month to visit Hawaii since I'll hardly have the chance to go there in another period of the year
I've always found it to be more advantageous to visit Oahu in the off-season. (March-April-May) But, if August is the only time you will have off, then try not to spend too much time in Honolulu. It is very crowded in the summer. I would stick to the other side of the island. (The Kanehoe side is my favorite!) There is still much to see and do there and the crowds are much smaller and sparse. But if you like the tourist-ish sort of experience, and don't mind the crowds, you can spend a whole week in Honolulu and be entertained quite nicely.

The above is just my personal preference and is based on my own experiences there. There may be someone who has a different recommendation, and maybe they can offer some advice...anybody care to add anything? :D
Thank you so much!
I say...Magnum