40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#856 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:31 pm
Just curious what you found confusing about it. Seems pretty straight-forward, with an excellent twist. Though maybe that's me looking at it through adult eyes. I never watched the show as a kid.
I was 10 when it aired. May have seen it then. Or a few years later in syndication.

Just remember not following the story very well. Not knowing what Mau Mau was or history or anything. I was a little kid.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#857 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:28 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:31 pm
Just curious what you found confusing about it. Seems pretty straight-forward, with an excellent twist. Though maybe that's me looking at it through adult eyes. I never watched the show as a kid.
I was 10 when it aired. May have seen it then. Or a few years later in syndication.

Just remember not following the story very well. Not knowing what Mau Mau was or history or anything. I was a little kid.
Just a leetle keed, eh brah? :D

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#858 Post by Chris109 »

And lest we forget the TOMYTRONICS PAC-MAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czi9_g7rP1M

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#859 Post by Mark de Croix »

@Chris109, thanks for posting the Pacman pic.

Episode Black on White: A scriptwriting triumph. It was shaky at first, seemingly a farfetched story at first but came to be neatly tied together. I thought the acting was particularly good in this episode. And I enjoyed the continued inclusion of Hawaii scenery including unusual shots of Robin's Nest (presumably).

Coincidentally, it was just a day ago I watched Ian McShane in Cuban Fury, knowing a familiar face but not the name. When his face appeared in MPI 40 years earlier in Black on White, despite his then-youthful looks, I knew it was him. Talented he is.

In this episode the main actors seemed to have a lot of fun with each other, which was probably how they felt working together. One other observation is the subtlety of the story being sexual but only implicitly so. Another plus for the scriptwriting.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#860 Post by eagle »

I watched this with my sons on Friday night. It's a strange but enjoyable episode. Then we went back to watching their stretch of the series -- several episodes in season 2. They just might catch up to the 40th anniversary watch party to then be watching it for the first time - so fun!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#861 Post by 308GUY »

I like this episode very much, have from the first time I watched it.

Trying to keep JQH in the dark, letting us at first, assume that Bibi Kiamani) is, or at least could be....the Mau Mau, just good writing, in my opinion.

As Mark de Croix points out, the interaction between the guys is "just great" in this one.

Agatha showing up as "Agatha"...another first in the series.

I think one of my favorite aspects of this one is TC's infatuation with BiBi ("Ain't that pretty!") and Thomas making the "deal" to help him locate her at the end.....classic TM!

This one's at least a 9 for me....quite possibly one of the few 10's! :lol:

On to the future!.....oh wait....the past?....dreamland? Next up "Flashback" :magnum: :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#862 Post by T.Q. »

November 4th, 1982

Magnum, P.I.
Flashback
Episode Number: 47
Season Number: 3.7
Air Date: 11/4/1982

Magnum dreams he's in 1936 - populated with versions of his friends - where he's working for a young woman whose father, a union leader, has been accused of the murder of a construction magnate.

Guest Stars: Anne Lockhart (Brenda McCutchen), Irene Yah-Ling Sun (Marissa), Rosemary Murphy (Marion Danforth), Lee Patterson (Drew Danforth), Robin Strand (Young Drew Danforth), Michael Hasegawa (Ito), Earll Kingston (Maitre'd)
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#863 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I think this 4-episode stretch of "Past Tense", "Black on White", "Flashback" and "Foiled Again" are the absolute best stretch of consecutive episodes in the entire series! These 4 would make my top 5 for this season, with #1 of course being "Did You See the Sunrise?"

Anyone agree? Very strong 4 episodes in a row.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#864 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:46 pm I think this 4-episode stretch of "Past Tense", "Black on White", "Flashback" and "Foiled Again" are the absolute best stretch of consecutive episodes in the entire series! These 4 would make my top 5 for this season, with #1 of course being "Did You See the Sunrise?"

But... you... haven't... watched... the... entire... series... yet... :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#865 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:08 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:46 pm I think this 4-episode stretch of "Past Tense", "Black on White", "Flashback" and "Foiled Again" are the absolute best stretch of consecutive episodes in the entire series! These 4 would make my top 5 for this season, with #1 of course being "Did You See the Sunrise?"

But... you... haven't... watched... the... entire... series... yet... :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Completely valid point! :lol:
Priorities Ivan, priorities. :magnum:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#866 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:19 pm

Completely valid point! :lol:
Priorities Ivan, priorities. :magnum:
Dogging him over this needs to become our sole purpose in life. :lol: :lol: :lol:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#867 Post by charybdis1966 »

This is one of my favourites and I often put this one on when I want something to cheer me up - the scene where TM wakes up and confronts Higgins on the lawn is hilarious and another appearance for Anne Lockhart (I will always think of her as Lt Sheba from classic Battlestar) in the series, although briefer than in "Lest we forget". In this she is doing less of the weepy-face acting she did previously, which is preferrable.

I recall when I saw it first time round I was less than impressed as there was no Ferrari and to my young eyes the Laurel and Hardy car he got instead looked feeble in comparison and I didn't appreciate the humour and just saw it as pointless goofiness.

Just goes to show how your view changes from being a teenager to a fifty something.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#868 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:10 am This is one of my favourites and I often put this one on when I want something to cheer me up - the scene where TM wakes up and confronts Higgins on the lawn is hilarious and another appearance for Anne Lockhart (I will always think of her as Lt Sheba from classic Battlestar) in the series, although briefer than in "Lest we forget". In this she is doing less of the weepy-face acting she did previously, which is preferrable.

I recall when I saw it first time round I was less than impressed as there was no Ferrari and to my young eyes the Laurel and Hardy car he got instead looked feeble in comparison and I didn't appreciate the humour and just saw it as pointless goofiness.

Just goes to show how your view changes from being a teenager to a fifty something.
I think the car is a Grand Prix racer, Bugatti. If I recall, it was a replica though. It was a pretty good choice for a flashy sports car of that era, and Ferrari didn’t exist as a car company yet, just Enzo the racing driver. I wonder if Enzo ever drove a Bugatti. I think he drove for ALFA at one point.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#869 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:45 pm
I think the car is a Grand Prix racer, Bugatti. If I recall, it was a replica though. It was a pretty good choice for a flashy sports car of that era, and Ferrari didn’t exist as a car company yet, just Enzo the racing driver. I wonder if Enzo ever drove a Bugatti. I think he drove for ALFA at one point.
I guess that Bugatti is the nearest equivalent to the Ferrari that was time consistent. Whenever I see cars of that vintage I imagine Stan and Ollie trying to start their car up by twisting a metal pole in the front radiator with that goofy music of theirs playing. 😃

Fleet Admiral

#870 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

But I'm willing to make a bet, even without seeing the rest of the series, that this is the finest 4-episode stretch in the series! :D Somehow I doubt I would lose this bet.