Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1606 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:30 pm Red Faced Thespian made a huge impact on me as a child, and not just because of June Chadwick's rockin' bikini scene! :lol: Magnum's feeble attempt at dressing like Dashiell Hammett eventually led me to that author's work, not to mention the Thin Man films. That episode also directed me toward the 1920s, an era which fascinates me in part due to the "Lost Generation" writers. Magnum has had quite an impact on me.
Garwood,
This is spooky. :shock: The episode led me to Dash Hammett as well! I remember going to the library in early high school and finding a collection of short stories with the Continental Op and The Maltese Falcon. It lead me to other hard-boiled detective fiction and the many film adaptations.

Margaux in Italian Ice even mentions Myrna Loy. Bellisario must have been a fan.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1607 Post by T.Q. »

Bonus episode.

Hawaii Five-O 1997

Yikes. :shock:

:lol:

Were they having an exhibit at a Museum and somehow Chin Ho Kelly's skeleton came into contact with The Shroud of Turin and he was resurrected?

The first 7 minutes were actually not bad. Boy, the rest was bad. :shock:

4/10 just because the old team were in it.

MPI: Branscombe Richmond, Harry Endo, Kam Fong, Moe Keale, Herman Wedemeyer, Zulu
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#1608 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:06 pm Garwood,
This is spooky. :shock: The episode led me to Dash Hammett as well! I remember going to the library in early high school and finding a collection of short stories with the Continental Op and The Maltese Falcon. It lead me to other hard-boiled detective fiction and the many film adaptations.

Margaux in Italian Ice even mentions Myrna Loy. Bellisario must have been a fan.
During the late '90s I obsessed over Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels and read them so often that I burned myself out on the genre. I've never set foot in California, but Chandler's work described a vivid Los Angeles that has stayed in my memory ever since. I especially love Farewell, My Lovely; The Big Sleep; and The Lady in the Lake. I didn't "connect" with The Long Goodbye but appreciated it a lot more after having watched the Altman film.

Offhand, I can't think of any Five-O episodes that did hardboiled Noir, but they did do a few "drawing-room mystery" kind of things (one with the Lou Richards and his teeth), but the show covered just about everything else.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1609 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:51 pm Bonus episode.

Hawaii Five-O 1997

Were they having an exhibit at a Museum and somehow Chin Ho Kelly's skeleton came into contact with The Shroud of Turin and he was resurrected?

MPI: Branscombe Richmond, Harry Endo, Kam Fong, Moe Keale, Herman Wedemeyer, Zulu
Wow, so those first 7 minutes that you said were good is what I saw and thought the same - hey, not bad. But if the rest is as bad as you say then I can just relax and not bother with the rest of it. I thought about seeing the rest of it some day but I guess it ain't worth it. :)

Fleet Admiral

#1610 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

And to just wrap up season 12 with my ranking:

1. Though the Heavens Fall (a sort of low-rent Mother’s Deadly Helper)
2. Image of Fear
3. The Flight of the Jewels
4. Use a Gun, Go to Hell
5. Labyrinth
6. Woe to Wo Fat
7. Who Says Cops Don’t Cry?
8. Voice of Terror
9. A Shallow Grave
10. School for Assassins
11. The Golden Noose
12. A Bird in Hand...
13. Clash of Shadows
14. Good Help is Hard to Find
15. A Lion in the Streets
16. For Old Times Sake
17. Sign of the Ram
18. The Kahuna
19. The Moroville Covenant

The last 3 just suck! "The Kahuna" is crappy (but it does have Don Knight) while "Moroville" is a true cure for insomnia so that’s why I’m putting it dead last. Worst episode of the entire series!

Ok, T.Q. your turn. Batter up. :) Just one more list and we're done. :lol: No more lists, yay!!! This will make Pahonu happy.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1611 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:18 pm And to just wrap up season 12 with my ranking:

2. Image of Fear
4. Use a Gun, Go to Hell
5. Labyrinth
6. Woe to Wo Fat
8. Voice of Terror
9. A Shallow Grave
10. School for Assassins
11. The Golden Noose
12. A Bird in Hand...
13. Clash of Shadows
16. For Old Times Sake
17. Sign of the Ram
18. The Kahuna

The last 3 just suck! "The Kahuna" is crappy (but it does have Don Knight) while "Moroville" is a true cure for insomnia so that’s why I’m putting it dead last. Worst episode of the entire series!

Ok, T.Q. your turn. Batter up. :) Just one more list and we're done. :lol: No more lists, yay!!! This will make Pahonu happy.
I think your #1 pick Though The Heavens Fall is probably right.

Going with this for Top 10.

1. Though the Heavens
2. Labyrinth
3. Woe to Wo Fat
4. Image of Fear
5. The Flight of the Jewels
6. Good Help is Hard to Find
7. A Shallow Grave
8. Voice of Terror
9. The Golden Noose
10. The Kahuna

P.S. Yes, I liked The Kahuna . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#1612 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:51 pm Bonus episode.

Hawaii Five-O 1997

I read that it was awful and never bothered to search for it.

Pahonu

#1613 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:19 pm
Pahonu wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:06 pm Garwood,

During the late '90s I obsessed over Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels and read them so often that I burned myself out on the genre. I've never set foot in California, but Chandler's work described a vivid Los Angeles that has stayed in my memory ever since. I especially love Farewell, My Lovely; The Big Sleep; and The Lady in the Lake. I didn't "connect" with The Long Goodbye but appreciated it a lot more after having watched the Altman film.

Offhand, I can't think of any Five-O episodes that did hardboiled Noir, but they did do a few "drawing-room mystery" kind of things (one with the Lou Richards and his teeth), but the show covered just about everything else.
That’s too bad you’ve never been to California. There’s so much to see. I’ve been lucky enough to visit every state but four, Alaska, Maine, New Hampshire, and West Virginia. Several were only one visit, but I have family in about a dozen states in the West, South, and Northeast and have traveled multiple times exploring the environs.

There’s a well-known old Hollywood restaurant my wife and I enjoy called Musso and Frank. It opened in 1919 and I think you might appreciate its heritage. Not only did Hollywood celebrities like Chaplin, Valentino, Garbo, and Bogart dine there, but it became a hangout for authors turned screenwriters. From their website:

With the Screen Writers Guild just across the street, the writers — tired of working under the execs’ watchful eyes began to spend time at the restaurant.

If they weren't in Musso’s Back Room, they could be found at the Stanley Rose Bookshop, which at the time was Musso’s neighbor to the east. Working late into the night under the comforting amber glow of the great chandeliers in the famous Back Room, writers like literary greats F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner and Raymond Chandler would have considered Musso’s a second home.

Fitzgerald was known to proofread his novels while sitting in a booth at Musso’s. Faulkner met his mistress of 20 years here, and was so chummy with the bartenders in the Back Room, that he used to go behind the bar to mix his own mint juleps. Raymond Chandler wrote several chapters of “The Big Sleep” while sipping drinks in the Back Room.

T.S. Elliot, William Saroyan, Aldous Huxley, Max Brand, John Steinbeck, John O’Hara and Dorothy Parker also made their home at the Musso bar.

The amazing part is that the old red leather booths and the wood bar are still there! Almost nothing has changed in over a century.

Fleet Admiral

#1614 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:49 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:18 pm And to just wrap up season 12 with my ranking:

2. Image of Fear
4. Use a Gun, Go to Hell
5. Labyrinth
6. Woe to Wo Fat
8. Voice of Terror
9. A Shallow Grave
10. School for Assassins
11. The Golden Noose
12. A Bird in Hand...
13. Clash of Shadows
16. For Old Times Sake
17. Sign of the Ram
18. The Kahuna

1. Though the Heavens
2. Labyrinth
3. Woe to Wo Fat
4. Image of Fear
7. A Shallow Grave
8. Voice of Terror
9. The Golden Noose
10. The Kahuna
Hey, our top 5 are almost identical. :) He have the same 4 in there, except for "Woe to Wo Fat". I have "Use a Gun, Go To Hell" instead which you didn't care for. Actually I'm surprised that you have "Woe to Wo Fat" so high. You said you were kinda disappointed with it but I remember you liking "Image of Fear" and "Flight of the Jewels" so I expected those 2 to be above "Woe Fat".
I guess nobody's perfect. :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1615 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:36 pm
T.Q. wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:49 pm

2. Image of Fear
4. Use a Gun, Go to Hell
5. Labyrinth
6. Woe to Wo Fat
8. Voice of Terror
9. A Shallow Grave
10. School for Assassins
11. The Golden Noose
12. A Bird in Hand...
13. Clash of Shadows
16. For Old Times Sake
17. Sign of the Ram
18. The Kahuna

1. Though the Heavens
2. Labyrinth
3. Woe to Wo Fat
4. Image of Fear
7. A Shallow Grave
8. Voice of Terror
9. The Golden Noose
10. The Kahuna
Hey, our top 5 are almost identical. :) He have the same 4 in there, except for "Woe to Wo Fat". I have "Use a Gun, Go To Hell" instead which you didn't care for. Actually I'm surprised that you have "Woe to Wo Fat" so high. You said you were kinda disappointed with it but I remember you liking "Image of Fear" and "Flight of the Jewels" so I expected those 2 to be above "Woe Fat".
I guess nobody's perfect. :lol:
Rethought it a bit.

When I was going through the list I really saw how generally weak the season was. Decided the episode deserved a bit more love than I gave it.

Eliminate Jack Lord playing the scientist, and the ridiculousness of Wo Fat not recognizing him impersonating the scientist, and it was still a good episode for season 12.

Disappointing as a Finale.

Fleet Admiral

#1616 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Well, T.Q. It's been a great run chatting here with you, and now that you are an official Five-O fan I invite you to round 2 of... (drum roll.... drum roll....) Hawaii Five-O!! :lol:

Here we go again....

Ah, those wonderful beginnings where everything was crisp and fresh. Fresh young faces, fresh stories, fresh ambiance. Fresh and brand new on-location shooting away from Hollyweird. Ah, to be back in 1968 again. :) Sigh....

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1617 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:07 pm Well, T.Q. It's been a great run chatting here with you, and now that you are an official Five-O fan I invite you to round 2 of... (drum roll.... drum roll....) Hawaii Five-O!! :lol:

Here we go again....
Ah, those wonderful beginnings where everything was crisp and fresh. Fresh young faces, fresh stories, fresh ambiance. Fresh and brand new on-location shooting away from Hollyweird. Ah, to be back in 1968 again. :) Sigh....

Haha.

I gotta move on with my life.

Rewatch 2032. :lol:

Pahonu

#1618 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:07 pm Well, T.Q. It's been a great run chatting here with you, and now that you are an official Five-O fan I invite you to round 2 of... (drum roll.... drum roll....) Hawaii Five-O!! :lol:

Here we go again....

Here’s something most people don’t realize. Hollywood film and TV productions don’t often film on location in the actual Hollywood neighborhood where it all started, though they did in the past. They film even less on the world famous Hollywood Blvd. unless they have to. The neighborhood is too crowded, full of tourists, and difficult to get filming permits because parking is at a premium. Bringing in a cast and crew that might number well over a hundred for a series, or a few hundred for a film is logistically a nightmare.

Instead they shoot in lots of other neighborhoods around LA like downtown, San Pedro, Westwood, or Griffith Park. Much of the beach filming is done in Malibu or Santa Monica which are separate cities. Most of the studio soundstages aren’t even in Hollywood anymore. Paramount is, but Warners and Disney are in Burbank to the north along with Universal, and Columbia is in Culver City to the south. As long as filming is in the TMZ, or thirty mile zone from Hollywood, the producers and the unions are generally happy.

One part of “Hollywood” that remains in the neighborhood are the many celebrities who have homes secluded behind walls on the winding streets in the Hollywood Hills above the boulevard.

Hollywood Boulevard is where you go to see real Hollyweird!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1619 Post by Sam »

Not Sunset?? To me that's always been the weird.

Pahonu

#1620 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:29 am Not Sunset?? To me that's always been the weird.
Nah, Sunset has all the clubs and nightlife, The Roxy, The Viper Room, and Whisky A Go Go. It’s a great evening scene. Hollywood has the Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theatre forecourt, drawing huge numbers of tourists all day. The tourists draw all the buskers and characters in costume for photos. I’ve seen lots more “entertainment” on the street there.