40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#586 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:36 pm
Out of all the episodes that I have seen so far (season 1 thru half of season 4)
Still no progress.

You should be banned and confined to bamboo cage until you finish the series. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chop chop.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#587 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:45 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:36 pm
Out of all the episodes that I have seen so far (season 1 thru half of season 4)
Still no progress.

You should be banned and confined to bamboo cage until you finish the series. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chop chop.
Oh wait, I did see "No More Mr. Nice Guy" a few days ago. So some progress. :D

I thought it was ok. Nothing special though. TM is pissed at Carol for lying to him and using him, until she turns the tables and tells him she learned from him. That really gets under his skin and for a moment it looks like he's about to punch her! :lol: But we know our Tommy wouldn't do that. I love it when she says he probably put 20 extra pounds on poor Mac! :lol: :lol: She's right though. TM does use those around him. A lot. But for some reason he thinks what he does is "innocent". I've noticed that many hate Carol. I don't. I don't love her either. Just indifferent I guess. She doesn't bother me though.

One of these days (or years)... "Rembrandt's Girl". :D

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#588 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Had fun revisiting One Last Summer last night. I don't follow football, but I do tune into the Grey Cup and Superbowl just to be a part of the collective viewing experience. I like this episode. I thought David Wilson, who plays Dorsey was particularly good. The story has quite a few holes, but I don't really care. From what I remember, this episode has the distinction of being the only one (as far as I know) to have one of the guest stars join and comment on the magnum-mania forum. I've searched, however, but can't find his comments. Am I just going nuts? Jerry Schmeer, the guy who plays the nutty guy in the episode, made some comments many years ago.

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#589 Post by charybdis1966 »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:29 pm Had fun revisiting One Last Summer last night. I don't follow football, but I do tune into the Grey Cup and Superbowl just to be a part of the collective viewing experience. I like this episode. I thought David Wilson, who plays Dorsey was particularly good. The story has quite a few holes, but I don't really care. From what I remember, this episode has the distinction of being the only one (as far as I know) to have one of the guest stars join and comment on the magnum-mania forum. I've searched, however, but can't find his comments. Am I just going nuts? Jerry Schmeer, the guy who plays the nutty guy in the episode, made some comments many years ago.

I remember that guy too, it was just over 10 years ago - over here: https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... 2&start=30

His website was: http://jerryschmeer.homestead.com/rainbow.html

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#590 Post by Pahonu »

I remember too. Thanks for finding the comments. :magnum:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#591 Post by Styles Bitchley »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:37 pm
I remember that guy too, it was just over 10 years ago - over here: https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... 2&start=30

His website was: http://jerryschmeer.homestead.com/rainbow.html
Thank you!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#592 Post by eagle »

Unfortunately that link doesn’t work anymore; I posted a link to the piece from the internet archive in the episode thread. Interesting that this was his one and only acting job, at least according to IMDb.

Anyway, I got to watch it last night. I enjoy the episode, and I think it is terribly sad, partly because of the choice Dorsey makes at the end. It’s cool that Dick Butkus guest starred in this episode — and it occurred to me last night as I watched during the Super Bowl that this episode aired just a few weeks after the Super Bowl.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#593 Post by charybdis1966 »

eagle wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:39 pm Unfortunately that link doesn’t work anymore; I posted a link to the piece from the internet archive in the episode thread. Interesting that this was his one and only acting job, at least according to IMDb.

Anyway, I got to watch it last night. I enjoy the episode, and I think it is terribly sad, partly because of the choice Dorsey makes at the end. It’s cool that Dick Butkus guest starred in this episode — and it occurred to me last night as I watched during the Super Bowl that this episode aired just a few weeks after the Super Bowl.
Thanks Eagle, just for completeness the new link is here:
eagle wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:43 pm For those interested in reading Jerry's story, the link he posted no longer works, but the page is still found in the Internet Archive.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#594 Post by Mark de Croix »

Hi Guys!
Newbie here but hope you let me crash the party. Am I right that the next episode is The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club (2/19/81) for this Thursday?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#595 Post by charybdis1966 »

Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:49 am Hi Guys!
Newbie here but hope you let me crash the party. Am I right that the next episode is The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club (2/19/81) for this Thursday?
Hello there Mark,

T.Q. usually updates this page with the next episode in sequence which I believe is Texas Lightning.
T.Q. is the oracle in this respect so don’t take my word for it, however enjoy the party! 🎉

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#596 Post by Mark de Croix »

charybdis1966 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:47 am
Mark de Croix wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:49 am Hi Guys!
Hello there Mark,

T.Q. usually updates this page with the next episode in sequence which I believe is Texas Lightning.
T.Q. is the oracle in this respect so don’t take my word for it, however enjoy the party! 🎉
Thank you, charybdis1966. That episode sounds right and we're still early in this party. Gonna be great fun. :magnum: :magnum:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#597 Post by T.Q. »

February 18th, 1982

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
Texas Lightning

Season 2, episode 17

With Julie Sommars (Jeannie Lowry), Jack Hogan (Matt Thompson), Tony Brubaker (Eric), Vic Leon (Polo), Bob Whiting (Alex), Herbert Borsting (Baron), Ann Fernandez (Nurse), Todd Camenson (Ted), Seth Sakai (Chan), Danny Kamekona (John).

Magnum is hired by a world-class poker player to be her bodyguard while she plays high-stakes poker on a yacht.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#598 Post by T.Q. »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:32 pm Image

February 18th, 1982

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
Texas Lightning

Season 2, episode 17

With Julie Sommars (Jeannie Lowry), Jack Hogan (Matt Thompson), Tony Brubaker (Eric), Vic Leon (Polo), Bob Whiting (Alex), Herbert Borsting (Baron), Ann Fernandez (Nurse), Todd Camenson (Ted), Seth Sakai (Chan), Danny Kamekona (John).

Magnum is hired by a world-class poker player to be her bodyguard while she plays high-stakes poker on a yacht.
BUMP.

I posted too early.

I never loved this episode (it's okay) but, as per, the Magnum/Higgins and Higgins/Rick/T.C. moments are great.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#599 Post by charybdis1966 »

I found this episode a bit mediocre and not an especially interesting story, but strangely I found myself thinking that TS and the guest star looked uncomfortable filming in the rough conditions of the deserted island.
Perhaps the camaraderie shown by Rick, Higgins and TC was noteworthy but this is not one I’ll revisit much.
Maybe because I’ve no interest in card playing the core of the story left me indifferent, particularly during the gambling portion of the boat scenes.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#600 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:59 pm I found this episode a bit mediocre and not an especially interesting story, but strangely I found myself thinking that TS and the guest star looked uncomfortable filming in the rough conditions of the deserted island.
Perhaps the camaraderie shown by Rick, Higgins and TC was noteworthy but this is not one I’ll revisit much.
Maybe because I’ve no interest in card playing the core of the story left me indifferent, particularly during to the gambling portion of the boat scenes.
The most bizarre thing about this episode is the "relationship" between TM and Jeannie, especially at the end! :shock: That's the one thing I can't get over. For the duration of the episode they can't stand each other's guts, then all of a sudden at the end TM runs out after her almost teary-eyed. Like she was his one true love. You'd think she was Michelle or something. Where did this come from? Did we miss an extra 30-45 minutes (at least) where this love was shown to be blossoming??? There's just no explanation for any of this. It's like someone took the end of another episode and attached it to this episode. :?