The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Canada Jones
Lieutenant

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2851 Post by Canada Jones »

Thanks Pahonu! I would love to see that photo. I am kicking myself for not ringing the front gate buzzer to see if I could have taken some pictures on the estate. Has anyone ever tried and been allowed? best
Canada

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2852 Post by Pahonu »

Canada Jones wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:22 am Thanks Pahonu! I would love to see that photo. I am kicking myself for not ringing the front gate buzzer to see if I could have taken some pictures on the estate. Has anyone ever tried and been allowed? best
Canada
I was looking back through this thread and beginning at page 115 there are several posts that have the real estate photos attached, but the links are all broken. I have them saved somewhere on my laptop and will try to repost the boathouse interior picture for you.

I’m not aware of anyone who has been inside the grounds other than the friend of Bondtoys I mentioned when the estate was for sale, and Styles Bitchley, who went just inside the front gate.

Did you get a chance to view the model?

Canada Jones
Lieutenant

#2853 Post by Canada Jones »

Thanks so much! The model is excellent although I am having a terrible time controlling the movement! I will get it. I wonder how hard that would be to turn into a 3 D model?
I really appreciate your helpfulness!
Canada

Pahonu

#2854 Post by Pahonu »

Canada Jones wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:29 pm Thanks so much! The model is excellent although I am having a terrible time controlling the movement! I will get it. I wonder how hard that would be to turn into a 3 D model?
Canada
If you’re referring to a physical model made by hand, I would guess many dozens of hours, perhaps a hundred or more if you want to include landscaping. If you mean a 3D printed model then I would guess less than 24 hours based on the printer we have in our drafting room. However, that would come after many hours converting the SketchUp model to AutoCAD, and it would be quite small, and lack a lot of detail. Our limit is about 10 inches square. Breaking it down into components to make it larger would take weeks to accomplish.

Pahonu

#2855 Post by Pahonu »

Canada Jones wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:22 am Thanks Pahonu! I would love to see that photo. I am kicking myself for not ringing the front gate buzzer to see if I could have taken some pictures on the estate. Has anyone ever tried and been allowed? best
Canada
I found the photos from the real estate listing. Here’s the boathouse lanai and small upstairs room. The lanai is about twice the size. No pictures from the storage area below.

https://ibb.co/JCQpTjF
https://ibb.co/mBLQyB4

Here’s some other photos from the former forum member who’s friend toured the property when it was for sale. It was all overgrown outside and the exterior trim was in very poor shape from neglect. The interiors were not shown but were reported as damaged from water infiltration from roof leaks, as well as door and window leaks.

https://ibb.co/8zzDKm4
https://ibb.co/f1NBZtt
https://ibb.co/3MPV1LL
https://ibb.co/njJ21bX
https://ibb.co/kHKNWM6

Here’s the boathouse from the same time. The size of the lanai compared to the closed space is evident.

https://ibb.co/RPcxzm0

Canada Jones
Lieutenant

#2856 Post by Canada Jones »

Pahonu! You are genuinely fabulous! Thanks so much. The inside photos of the boathouse are great and wow, that space is small. I was able to figure out the Sketchup drawing you did. Also great. That really is a very small space in the upstairs boathouse.

Thanks also for your comments about the 3D Printing and yes I understand what you mean about size and detail. I 3D Printed Oahu a few years ago and it came out ok. Lots of detail in the file and so it looked pretty good. But it was also quite small. I used 2 different colors - did the water blue and the island green. Worked pretty well. And, yes I can see that the issue with the great walk through you made is the landscape for sure. Although I was thinking it would be great to print the buildings separately and the make your own model diorama. I have been modeling scenery for some model trains and I think I could do ok.

Can I also say, as a complete aside, that swimming the tidal pool was a dream come true. I loved that place. So great. I really hope we don't loose access once ex President Obama and his security team move in.
best
Canada

Pahonu

#2857 Post by Pahonu »

Canada Jones wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:19 am Pahonu! You are genuinely fabulous! Thanks so much. The inside photos of the boathouse are great and wow, that space is small. I was able to figure out the Sketchup drawing you did. Also great. That really is a very small space in the upstairs boathouse.

Thanks also for your comments about the 3D Printing and yes I understand what you mean about size and detail. I 3D Printed Oahu a few years ago and it came out ok. Lots of detail in the file and so it looked pretty good. But it was also quite small. I used 2 different colors - did the water blue and the island green. Worked pretty well. And, yes I can see that the issue with the great walk through you made is the landscape for sure. Although I was thinking it would be great to print the buildings separately and the make your own model diorama. I have been modeling scenery for some model trains and I think I could do ok.

Can I also say, as a complete aside, that swimming the tidal pool was a dream come true. I loved that place. So great. I really hope we don't loose access once ex President Obama and his security team move in.
best
Canada
Feel free to use the model if you want to print the buildings and make your own diorama. :magnum:

Capa150
Lieutenant Commander

#2858 Post by Capa150 »

Canada Jones wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:29 pm Thanks so much! The model is excellent although I am having a terrible time controlling the movement! I will get it. I wonder how hard that would be to turn into a 3 D model?
Canada
Check out my Minecraft (Java) model, which is available for download. The movement system in Minecraft is similar to many 3d first-person view games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9ET0BKPZWw

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2859 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Canada Jones wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:19 am Pahonu! You are genuinely fabulous! Thanks so much. The inside photos of the boathouse are great and wow, that space is small. I was able to figure out the Sketchup drawing you did. Also great. That really is a very small space in the upstairs boathouse.

best
Canada
Can you share a photo of the Oahu model? I’m having trouble picturing it.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2860 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 am
Canada
I’m not aware of anyone who has been inside the grounds other than the friend of Bondtoys I mentioned when the estate was for sale, and Styles Bitchley, who went just inside the front gate.
Yeah. I didn’t get to see much. When I visited the estate the fron gate was sitting there wide open! So I walked through. Just far enough to get a few photos, maybe thirty feet or so. I suppose I could have kept going, but I was aware that this is actually someone’s home. I think the photos are here somewhere. I’ll see if I can find them.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

jno
Captain

#2861 Post by jno »

Some superb pics on here, thanks to all those for their efforts.

Canada Jones
Lieutenant

#2862 Post by Canada Jones »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:58 pm
Pahonu wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 am
Canada
Yeah. I didn’t get to see much. When I visited the estate the fron gate was sitting there wide open! So I walked through. Just far enough to get a few photos, maybe thirty feet or so. I suppose I could have kept going, but I was aware that this is actually someone’s home. I think the photos are here somewhere. I’ll see if I can find them.
This is very helpful because I am been thinking I should have buzzed to see if they would let me take some pictures. Like you though, out of respect for the fact that it is someone's house, I did not. There were also a fair number of No Trespassing signs, plus there was a green tarp on the gate (I think from tearing down the house) to block the view. My real hope is that when President Obama moves in they do not close out access to the tidal pool. I may have mentioned in another post - there is a person living in a van and a tent across the street from this property under the beautiful large tree. I wonder how long they will be allowed to stay when the new owners move in.
Thanks for your comments.
Canada

Capa150
Lieutenant Commander

#2863 Post by Capa150 »

Was readin' the paper today ... this first home reminds me of the Robin Masters estate:

https://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2021/ ... -JOHX.html

Pahonu

#2864 Post by Pahonu »

Capa150 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:27 pm Was readin' the paper today ... this first home reminds me of the Robin Masters estate:

https://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2021/ ... -JOHX.html
I agree. They had it in the LA Times as well. The home is Spanish Colonial Revival architecture, like Pahonu, but with the far more common terracotta tile roof. It was popular in the west, including Hawaii in the 20’s and early 30’s when both these homes were built.

Here’s a link to a similar home, now a museum, that is right on the coast like Pahonu. It’s called the Adamson house and it’s located in Malibu at Surfrider Beach, made famous in Gidget and other surf films.

http://www.adamsonhouse.org/

The similarities are many. There’s a gatehouse by the highway, PCH, with a curving drive to the main house garage courtyard. In this case it’s partially a walled courtyard. There’s also a small boathouse facing the Malibu Lagoon on the west side. It has a terrace on top, but no interior room. It also has a pool house, similar to Pahonu’s bath house, with changing rooms and showers. In this case, it accesses the salt water swimming pool and the beach. There is no tidal pool, but rather spectacular waves great for surfing. There’s a slat house for propagating plants, which Pahonu once had and even a small guest house which is really just a bedroom and bath. There is no tennis court, but it is located right between the beach and the mountains like Pahonu, the Santa Monica Mountains in this case. I’ve visited several times.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6RDuE1gKS-k

To The Regiment
Admiral

#2865 Post by To The Regiment »

I saw some recent photos of the boat house on Instagram. Magnum10K resposted them. Looks like it's being carefully, thoroughly renovated. Wonder if they will convert it into TM's guest house in the process?

Best,
To The Regiment