40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#121 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:40 am
Pahonu wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:21 pm The mobsters here seem to be the most inept on the planet and the schtick gets old pretty quickly for me. I don’t have any problem looking at the actress but I don’t find her particularly compelling either. I’m definitely struggling to find “whimsical”! :shock: :lol:
Whimsical - Playful or fanciful, especially in a humorous way

I kinda consider it a purposely non-serious playful episode.
I agree with non-serious and that’s not bad. I guess I just don’t find it very funny so it doesn’t seem particularly playful, but if it makes you laugh then it’s an appropriate adjective. :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by T.Q. »

I've always kinda taken Victor DiGorgio and his lame henchmen as being a bit of a parody.

Maybe not.

If it was meant to be a serious episode then I take it back. :P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#123 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:25 pm I've always kinda taken Victor DiGorgio and his lame henchmen as being a bit of a parody.

Maybe not.

If it was meant to be a serious episode then I take it back. :P
I sure hope it wasn’t meant to be a serious episode. :shock:

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by eagle »

I'm going to have to go and rewatch that episode. I've had the show on, and finished season 1 last night. Related, I had to force myself to watch The Black Orchid -- it is not one of my favorites. Once I get about 1/3 of the way through, it gets a lot better for me, but the first part ... ugh. The Orchid just grates on me.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

It's definitely not a good episode though I still prefer it to "Adelaide". I'm afraid dog beats horse in this round. :D My favorite part though is definitely the jungle trek and running into the marijuana growers. There's nothing like that in "Adelaide" which is why this episode is better. Plus I kinda like that raspy voice of Michael V. Gazzo. It's very unique! Yeah he's annoying yet there's something about that voice of his. I guess he's just parodying his Frankie Pentangeli from GODFATHER II.

Pahonu

#126 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:44 pm It's definitely not a good episode though I still prefer it to "Adelaide". I'm afraid dog beats horse in this round. :D My favorite part though is definitely the jungle trek and running into the marijuana growers. There's nothing like that in "Adelaide" which is why this episode is better. Plus I kinda like that raspy voice of Michael V. Gazzo. It's very unique! Yeah he's annoying yet there's something about that voice of his. I guess he's just parodying his Frankie Pentangeli from GODFATHER II.
I agree that he’s parodying his Godfather II character and he’s definitely got a unique voice. I really love that movie though, so maybe it just feels wrong to me to parody the role. The “jungle trek” is probably the most unique part of the episode, but his hoods are just so inept! I think Adelaide has not only the volleyball scenes, but the Vietnam connection that I like.

Pahonu

#127 Post by Pahonu »

I just finished watching the episode this morning. I think I might have put it off subconsciously. :lol: All the other episodes I watched sometime Friday evening. I’m really struggling to find something new to comment on. That hasn’t happened yet in this rewatch. I didn’t notice anything interesting regarding the photography. The only comment I have in terms of locations on the estate is that the scene with TC and his team building the dog run is the first to use the area under the big tree that has the benches around it. This is the same place as the horseshoe pitching spot. You can see one of the posts. In No Need to Know Magnum and the brigadier walk in the lawn closer to the beach gate. This spot is closer to the drive. I also always questioned why they built the run in that spot, when at episode end it’s in the courtyard for the lads. Perhaps they built it there and then moved it but why? Are there supposed to be two dog runs then? No big deal, but it doesn’t seem clear. That’s all I’ve got. :(

Pahonu

#128 Post by Pahonu »

It’s seems that this episode may have been the police showing up to end our watch party. :(

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#129 Post by T.Q. »

February 5th, 1981

[CBS 9:00] Magnum, P.I. [Reg]: Missing In Action
Season 1, episode 9

W: Craig Buck, Ken Pettus D: Robert Loggia
With Lance LeGault (Agent Newton), Francisco Lagueruela (Eric Tobin), Rebecca Holden (Laura Frasier), Patrick Bishop (Pat), Remi Abellira (Moki).

A new singer at the King Kamehameha Club who claims to have psychic visions hires Magnum to find her fiancee, a Marine who has been listed as MIA since the Vietnam War but who she now believes is nearby.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#130 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:20 pm February 5th, 1981

[CBS 9:00] Magnum, P.I. [Reg]: Missing In Action
Season 1, episode 9

W: Craig Buck, Ken Pettus D: Robert Loggia
With Lance LeGault (Agent Newton), Francisco Lagueruela (Eric Tobin), Rebecca Holden (Laura Frasier), Patrick Bishop (Pat), Remi Abellira (Moki).

A new singer at the King Kamehameha Club who claims to have psychic visions hires Magnum to find her fiancee, a Marine who has been listed as MIA since the Vietnam War but who she now believes is nearby.

Can't get over how gorgeous Rebecca was!! Always had a crush on her since her KNIGHT RIDER days. Always preferred her to Patricia McPherson (Bonnie). :)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#131 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:14 pm It’s seems that this episode may have been the police showing up to end our watch party. :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I watched it . . . it wasn't as bad as I remembered, but still a weak spot for season 1. I understand they wanted something lighthearted and I guess there was some kind of Benji momentum in the early 80s which trickled over into Magnum, but overall this episode doesn't age well.

As usual, even a weak episode has the plus of the give and take between Thomas and Higgins which is always good for at least a chuckle or two. One of my fave's in this one you Maniacs (I believe it was golfmobile or K Hale?) turned into a gif, Higgins turning to Magnum saying "No, no, no!".

I also found it kind of funny that Thomas looks the other way when it comes to Rick's "contacts", but was going to report on the "growers of medicinal herb" if you will. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:35 pm I understand they wanted something lighthearted and I guess there was some kind of Benji momentum in the early 80s which trickled over into Magnum
Didn't "OH! HEAVENLY DOG" with Chevy Chase (anyone remember that one?) come out around this time in 1980?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#133 Post by ConchRepublican »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:18 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:35 pm I understand they wanted something lighthearted and I guess there was some kind of Benji momentum in the early 80s which trickled over into Magnum
Didn't "OH! HEAVENLY DOG" with Chevy Chase (anyone remember that one?) come out around this time in 1980?
Yes it did, 1980 . . . and I didn't realize, until I looked it up, that it was a Benji movie.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:08 am
Yes it did, 1980 . . . and I didn't realize, until I looked it up, that it was a Benji movie.
I'm not even sure what a Benji movie is. I know there was a movie in the 70s called BENJI. Is it the same dog in all these movies?

Pahonu

#135 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:58 pm
ConchRepublican wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:08 am
I'm not even sure what a Benji movie is. I know there was a movie in the 70s called BENJI. Is it the same dog in all these movies?

I quick search turned up all this. :shock:

I remember seeing the first two as a kid but had no idea about all the rest.

Films
Benji (1974)
Hawmps! (1976; cameo)
For the Love of Benji (1977)
The Double McGuffin (1979; cameo)
Oh! Heavenly Dog (1980)
Benji the Hunted (1987)
Benji: Off the Leash! (2004)
Benji (2018)

Television
Benji's Very Own Christmas Story (1978)
Benji at Work (1980 - short)
Benji Takes a Dive at Marineland (1981 - short)
Benji, Zax & the Alien Prince (1983 - series)