The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#286 Post by J.J. Walters »

You guys are amazing! Wonderful work all around! :)

I couldn't resist creating a special page for pictures of the Anderson Estate, of how it's looked over the years...

http://magnum-mania.com/Pics/Pahonu.html

Special thanks to rubber chicken for capturing these high-quality images.

Question for you guys - can anybody identify any of the flora (plants, bushes, trees, etc.) that are on the estate? In particular, the bushes that are in between the windows of the main house (ocean side)?

Thanks!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#287 Post by Pahonu »

McGarrett went through the door from the courtyard in the first picture with the fireplace to his immediate left as he entered. The wall facing him across the room has the two pairs of french doors looking toward the ocean. The one with the arrow in the second picture is one of them and also the one to its immediate left. The one to the immediate left might actually be a window with some tilework below it, but it has full length shutters like all the other pairs of doors. on the seawall side.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#288 Post by J.J. Walters »

For fun, I checked out a couple of other TV shows that filmed episodes in Oahu (to see if the estate was used). By "checked out" I mean, I watched them online for free. ;)

I Dream of Jeannie - "The Second Greatest Con Artist in the World" (1967)

No Anderson Estate, but it does have Milton Berle... The writers failed for a way to work Barbara Eden into a bikini, which is a shame.

Hart to Hart - "Murder in Paradise" (1981)

No Anderson Estate, but there is a neat scene filmed at the Byodo-In Temple.

Brian Keith had a show filmed in Oahu for a couple of years in the early '70s (Little People). I wonder if the estate was used in one of those episodes?

What about Cameron Mitchell's short-lived series The Beachcomber (with Sebastian Cabot) in the early '60s?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#289 Post by Steve »

So my fine research department......... who is going to check out that "Very Special", three part Brady Bunch from 1972 entltled Hawaii Bound.
If memory serves me, there was even an evil Ki involved in the show.............

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#290 Post by Jeffrey »

I have no information for you guys. I just want to say that the ''investegation'' you guys are doing is simply: GREAT! Keep up the good work.
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#291 Post by Little Garwood »

J.J. Walters wrote:Question for you guys - can anybody identify any of the flora (plants, bushes, trees, etc.) that are on the estate? In particular, the bushes that are in between the windows of the main house (ocean side)?

Thanks!
If you're referring to the image immediately above your post...those look like Sea Grape, but I've never seen them done that way. Here in Florida they're often in tree or hedge form.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#292 Post by rubber chicken »

I've wanted to find a list somewhere of all the tv shows that filmed on Oahu in the 1970s and 80s, and even the 60s, but I'm not sure one exists. I enjoy seeing all the island locations almost as much as I enjoy seeing the estate.

There were also two Barnaby Jones episodes in Hawaii in 1979 - Nightmare in Hawaii. The first season is coming out this month, and the Hawaii episode was in season eight, so it will be a some time before it's available.

The Jeffersons went to Hawaii in their seventh season for four episodes in 1980. Season six came out in early 2007, but season seven still isn't available.

I'll get The Brady Bunch episodes, but may not post about them if there isn't much interesting to say. I saw them a long time ago, but don't remember much except that evil tiki and also a cave. It's possible that was all that was worth remembering. :)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#293 Post by Sam »

Here is a list from IMDB with Title's and locations listed in Honolulu,Oahu and Hawaii.

http://as2h.com/126650

Found a 1974 McCloud..

When McCloud and Clifford wind up together at a police convention in Hawaii, Clifford promptly looks up an old girlfriend who's now married to the Mob, and the Mob seizes the opportunity to throw Clifford in jail on a murder frame (to keep him from testifying back home).

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#294 Post by Steve »

Fascinating list. I see that the original "very special" three parter of the Brady Bunch in Hawaii just wasn't enough, there is also from 2005, "The Brady Bunch Cast back in Hawaii". Now, join those up with "You're Invited to Mary-Kate & Ashley's Hawaiian Beach Party" and of course that classic from 1992 "Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian Style" and you have a wonderfull alternative to Sunday's Super Bowl.........NOT!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#295 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks Garwood!
rubber chicken wrote:I've wanted to find a list somewhere of all the tv shows that filmed on Oahu in the 1970s and 80s, and even the 60s, but I'm not sure one exists. I enjoy seeing all the island locations almost as much as I enjoy seeing the estate.

[snip]

I'll get The Brady Bunch episodes, but may not post about them if there isn't much interesting to say. I saw them a long time ago, but don't remember much except that evil tiki and also a cave. It's possible that was all that was worth remembering. :)
The list that I work off is from the Hawaii Film Studio...

http://www.hawaiifilmoffice.com/hawaii- ... roductions

Vincent Price was memorable in the "Brady Bunch Hawaii" episode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prFoj29WxH4
Steve wrote:Fascinating list. I see that the original "very special" three parter of the Brady Bunch in Hawaii just wasn't enough, there is also from 2005, "The Brady Bunch Cast back in Hawaii". Now, join those up with "You're Invited to Mary-Kate & Ashley's Hawaiian Beach Party" and of course that classic from 1992 "Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian Style" and you have a wonderfull alternative to Sunday's Super Bowl.........NOT!
Major Brady Bunch fan checking in... Steve, are you mocking The Brady Bunch? Huh? The Brady Bunch is one of the greatest shows of all-time! ALL-TIME!!..... Ok, maybe not one of the greatest of all-time, but it has a special place in my heart. I'm sure if I wasn't a kid in the '70s from a broken home (and hadn't watched it after school for years), I probably wouldn't hold it such high esteem. The Brady Bunch family was a dream to me.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#296 Post by Steve »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Major Brady Bunch fan checking in... Steve, are you mocking The Brady Bunch? Huh? The Brady Bunch is one of the greatest shows of all-time! ALL-TIME!!..... Ok, maybe not one of the greatest of all-time, but it has a special place in my heart. I'm sure if I wasn't a kid in the '70s from a broken home (and hadn't watched it after school for years), I probably wouldn't hold it such high esteem. The Brady Bunch family was a dream to me.
Okay, I admit I watched, especially for Marcia and Jan but truth be told I liked the cutting edge, rock and roll stylings of The Partridge Family just a tad more...........LOL!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#297 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I seem to remember a Growing Pains episode in Hawaii. Seems like every show did a Hawaii themed episode or two back in the day.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#298 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Now the need a CSI Hawaii to go with the fifty others that are on now. :D
Last edited by IKnowWhatYoureThinking on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#299 Post by Jeffrey »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:May the need a CSI Hawaii to go with the fifty others that are on now. :D
That would be nice indeed! :)
Maybe Rick Romer can get some work again then.
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#300 Post by J.J. Walters »

Steve wrote:Okay, I admit I watched, especially for Marcia and Jan but truth be told I liked the cutting edge, rock and roll stylings of The Partridge Family just a tad more...........LOL!
Hehe!

I never could get into The Partridge Family. I could never stomach those horrendous songs! I'm even a fan of 70s bubblegum pop (Bay City Rollers) and 70s soft pop (The Carpenters), but man, I just can't take David Cassidy and the Partridge Family!

Johnny Bravo owns the Partridge Family! :)