The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2866 Post by Pahonu »

To The Regiment wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:16 pm I saw some recent photos of the boat house on Instagram. Magnum10K resposted them. Looks like it's being carefully, thoroughly renovated. Wonder if they will convert it into TM's guest house in the process?

Best,
To The Regiment
That’s good news to hear that it’s being restored. I would wager it’s going to be used similarly to its original function. It’s proximity to the water is it’s asset. It couldn’t be built there now if it had been torn down. It will probably used to store all kinds of water-related equipment below, and above have the covered lanai to enjoy the views. The upstairs interior space is just a single small room and a bathroom. The guest house set would never fit in the small space. It could possibly be used as a guest room with the bathroom attached.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2867 Post by eagle »

To The Regiment wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:16 pm I saw some recent photos of the boat house on Instagram. Magnum10K resposted them. Looks like it's being carefully, thoroughly renovated. Wonder if they will convert it into TM's guest house in the process?
Do you have a link to those? I'd love to see them. Hopefully they don't require an IG/FB account.

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#2868 Post by To The Regiment »

eagle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:22 pm
Do you have a link to those? I'd love to see them. Hopefully they don't require an IG/FB account.
Unfortunately, no. Magnum10K only reposted them on his Instagram story, which is only visible for 24 hours. It appeared to be in the early/mid stages of reconstruction with lots of work left to do.

Best,
To The Regiment

robicurp
Lieutenant Commander

#2869 Post by robicurp »

Here's a link to some photos I took of the estate while I was there in August of this year. The boat house was definitely being worked on, though the new seawall now blocks its access to the water.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fuw7S2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Pahonu

#2870 Post by Pahonu »

robicurp wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:52 pm Here's a link to some photos I took of the estate while I was there in August of this year. The boat house was definitely being worked on, though the new seawall now blocks its access to the water.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fuw7S2 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Thank you! One of the linked photos shows the neighboring Shriners property and a set of stairs in their sea wall. I’m surprised there isn’t a similar one at Pahonu at either the boathouse or the old beach gate area. We’ll have to wait and see what kind of access they provide. I would be stunned if none is built.

NotthatRick
Admiral

#2871 Post by NotthatRick »

Sad to see.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#2872 Post by erock308 »

"This is a rich mans estate, not a military outpost in 'nam"
Well it's certainly looking like the latter... :cry:
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Elroy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2873 Post by Elroy »

It's a shame. It has always been Higgins' headquarters and an impregnable fortress for me. Really very sad.

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#2874 Post by erock308 »

Next they will be installing the Hitchcock Stun Fence.... :higgins:
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#2875 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hi everyone,

The fact that the seawall is continuous up to the property line and without any other access (especially in front of the boathouse) seems to indicate that the latter will have another function...Technical room for pool, summer kitchen, leisure terrace ?
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

Pahonu

#2876 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:34 pm Hi everyone,

The fact that the seawall is continuous up to the property line and without any other access (especially in front of the boathouse) seems to indicate that the latter will have another function...Technical room for pool, summer kitchen, leisure terrace ?
Great to hear from you again GM. It certainly won’t be easy to move anything from the boathouse over the new sea wall to the beach! I think that it remains simply because it is the closest structure to the beach allowed by current code and the terrace level will still have beautiful views over the sea wall, perhaps the best on the property… or a leisure terrace as you said. It’s original function of storing water-related equipment isn’t going to happen. Realistically, there will be no beach there much of the time and any stairs over the sea wall will likely be submerged most of the time. What the lower storage area will be used for is an interesting question. A pool mechanical space is a good call. Some kind of outdoor kitchen on the terrace or inside on that level is also a good idea.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#2877 Post by Gorilla Mask »

to be sure, it is also a real pleasure to get again on the air... Thanks friend !

that is a pity. The climatic changes forbade today sea access...

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2878 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Is there any electricity out there at the boat house? It’s a good point about grandfathering in the structure based in its location. It’s probably what saved it. What people do sometimes here is rebuild a structure from the inside under the guise of “renovating” when you would never be able to get a structure built in a location under current building codes. Lots of potential. No way to get plumbing out there I expect. Are the homes out there on septic systems?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#2879 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:22 pm Is there any electricity out there at the boat house? It’s a good point about grandfathering in the structure based in its location. It’s probably what saved it. What people do sometimes here is rebuild a structure from the inside under the guise of “renovating” when you would never be able to get a structure built in a location under current building codes. Lots of potential. No way to get plumbing out there I expect. Are the homes out there on septic systems?
Hi Styles,

Here is a little point of answer:

https://ibb.co/XpNzd1D

Yes there was electricity, which potential and strength, no idea. Certainly more to the standards, that said... Concerning plumbing, no hit.

Maybe another fourm member stored a phot of the boat hangar below ? Pahonu ? (still our master reference ! :D )

Pahonu

#2880 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:22 pm Is there any electricity out there at the boat house? It’s a good point about grandfathering in the structure based in its location. It’s probably what saved it. What people do sometimes here is rebuild a structure from the inside under the guise of “renovating” when you would never be able to get a structure built in a location under current building codes. Lots of potential. No way to get plumbing out there I expect. Are the homes out there on septic systems?
Not only is there electricity, there’s a full bathroom in the boathouse. It’s upstairs on the side facing the Shriners property and the plumbing vent is visible in some photos. I don’t know if the property has a septic field or is public utility. That’s probably in the public records somewhere but I never had any reason to check into it.

You’re absolutely right about the location being “grandfathered in”. The structure is far outside the current buildable area. That adds great value to it. By way of comparison, a few years ago I recall a real estate listing in Laguna Beach, CA south of where I live, specifically highlighting the fact that the property included a beach level storage “garage”. The beachfront properties in the area are almost all on bluffs above the sand with stairs down to the beach. Sometimes these stairs are 30 to 50 feet above the sand or more. Having a place to store kayaks, paddle boards, jet skis, etc… right at beach level was a great asset. These structures are not allowed anymore and this property having such a feature was rare. The home, which was a medium size property with four bedrooms, not a large estate, was listed in the $5 million range. :shock: