The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#1996 Post by KENJI »

TSMIV wrote:
KENJI wrote:
SoCal Drone wrote:Here is a link to my dropbox with some Hi-Res stills taken at 12MP. This is all I'm really comfortable sharing right now because I've already gotten people complaining that I've violated the privacy of the residents of the guest house (I know......). Maybe at a later date I'll release some additional footage or photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lom4pcvokuy0 ... twg4a?dl=0

To answer previous questions; from what I understand, the demolition permit includes all of the structures on the estate with a preservation of the slabs to be used in future construction. So I don't think there are actually basements associated with this construction. Not knowing much about the island construction practices, I'd say it would be fairly difficult to actually have a basement that close to the ocean.
So far the permits only include the main house and bath house...fingers crossed there isn't a phase two on the demo front. Pahonu did have a basement, but it was located closer to the front entrance so a bit further away from the ocean. It would be interesting to see if they can still have a basement after the demolition. Current code might not allow for it now....time will tell.

You'll have to share some stories and pics of the 308 that ENSHealy mentioned you having!
What year do you have?

Hi FTA,

Sincere apologies for the delay in my response and many thanks for this - I really appreciate it! :D

Thank goodness that I can still access the tidal pool at Pahonu - the shock and trauma associated with the wanton destruction of the estate was bad enough! Rest assured that I will take plenty of pictures of the crime scene - in fact, I'm tempted to wrap the whole place in the 'police crime scene' tape that you see in all the TV cop shows!

Great tip regarding the tides at Pahonu - I mistimed the tides on my first visit and was virtually underwater.

Thanks again for your help and look out for my photos in a week or two :magnum:

Cheers

#1 Customer
My pleasure and no apologies needed TSMIV!

Yes it's a crime scene in our eyes.....too bad you weren't going just before the demo......we could've had you chained to the front gate with a SAVE PAHONU t-shirt on! :wink: Oh-well, it's done now! Looking forward to your pics and stories!!

Bon voyage,

FTA

ibemanthony
Ensign

#1997 Post by ibemanthony »

Hey everyone!

New member and poster, but a long-time reader and follower of the site and forum. I visited the site pretty heavily a few years ago when I decided to re-obsess myself with MPI. The episode section, the forum, and rubber chicken's guide were all invaluable when following along with the episodes so many years after originally watching the show on TV.

Very recently, I finally got myself back to Hawaii for a family vacation and had mentioned the idea of going to see Robin's Nest to my sister. She was thrilled with the idea, but as it goes with family vacations, the timing proved difficult. Luckily, on the last day of the trip, and after the rest of my family had already left the island, I got a notification that my flight was going to be pretty heavily delayed. This was my chance! With hours to kill, I rented a car and headed over to 41-505 Kalanianaole Highway. This was Saturday, April 7th.

As I crossed the street and started walking up to the property, you can imagine the dismay and heart-dropping sensation I felt when I finally found a small window through the thick trees in which to snap some photos. I couldn't believe it. She was gone. Reduced to rubble. If I had just come a few days before, like I had mentioned to my sister earlier in the week, I might have seen the Robin's Nest still standing. :(

I headed around to the tidal pool to wade in the water and take some more pics. Nothing really to see of the structure from the back because of the black construction fencing they put up (you can see it clearly in the drone footage). But I did take some photos of the boathouse, which of course, as you know, is in pretty bad shape. I did see someone coming in and out of the boathouse before I left, but I couldn't tell if they were a worker or what.

What's funny is that this forum was one of the first things I thought about when I saw the construction site and so now I'm finally back and able to post some pics here. There's not a lot to see in the photos (didn't have my nice camera with me) and you have to really zoom in on some of them, but you can see some of the main house still standing. It's basically in the same state that you see in the drone video. In fact, I was looking for myself in the drone footage because it looks like we were there the same day.

Anyway, I'm happy to finally be a part of the site and looking forward to more posts and updates!

Aloha!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QbseqMEldh5XiR9G3

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#1998 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome aboard ibemanthony.

Great pictures....sad...but great. Further documentation of the history of the estate.

Thanks for sharing. 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#1999 Post by ENSHealy »

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a Lego version of the estate being put together? I know folks have put together little MPI kits of TM, the Ferrari, Higgins and the lads, etc. but I wonder if anyone's ever taken on the estate as a whole? With all the great documentation Rembrandt's Girl has posted lately, it would be easier than ever.

A co-worker of mine who knows of my obsession mentioned the idea recently, and I have to say, it sounds like fun! Now that Pahonu is gone, it seems even more necessary!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2000 Post by eagle »

ENSHealy wrote:Has anyone ever seen or heard of a Lego version of the estate being put together? I know folks have put together little MPI kits of TM, the Ferrari, Higgins and the lads, etc. but I wonder if anyone's ever taken on the estate as a whole? With all the great documentation Rembrandt's Girl has posted lately, it would be easier than ever.

A co-worker of mine who knows of my obsession mentioned the idea recently, and I have to say, it sounds like fun! Now that Pahonu is gone, it seems even more necessary!
I have not heard of this, but it sounds like a great idea. I would absolutely buy this set!

It's too bad the other Magnum-related LEGO Ideas project submissions never got enough traction to come to market.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2001 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

ENSHealy wrote: With all the great documentation Rembrandt's Girl has posted lately, it would be easier than ever.
Thanks ENSHealy! I don't know if you've checked out MM member Pahonu's SketchUp model of Pahonu? The link to download it is here, at the bottom of the "About the Website" section http://magnum-mania.com/About/About_Website.html You also have to download a free version of SketchUp. I've checked it out again recently, but I always end up lost in the walls, or under the model, or out on Kalanianaole Hwy! :shock:

Has anyone tried to draw a 2D floorplan (other than the ones from the county website http://qpublic9.qpublic.net/hi_honolulu ... 0020070000) with labels of the rooms that we know are correct from research, Mary Worrall's real estate brochure, & what we've seen on MPI & H50? If so, can you please share? Or if it's already been posted in the past, can someone please point me in the right direction? Or maybe Pahonu's SketchUp has that capability and I haven't found how to convert it to 2D in the software? :? Thanks!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2002 Post by eagle »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Has anyone tried to draw a 2D floorplan (other than the ones from the county website http://qpublic9.qpublic.net/hi_honolulu ... 0020070000) with labels of the rooms that we know are correct from research, Mary Worrall's real estate brochure, & what we've seen on MPI & H50? If so, can you please share? Or if it's already been posted in the past, can someone please point me in the right direction? Or maybe Pahonu's SketchUp has that capability and I haven't found how to convert it to 2D in the software? :? Thanks!
I'd love to see a correct 2D floorplan with not only the room labels, but also pictures from the sales listing. What a great idea!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2003 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

eagle wrote: I'd love to see a correct 2D floorplan with not only the room labels, but also pictures from the sales listing. What a great idea!
Hi eagle! You've probably seen these in this thread? We copied them from a newpaper article that ran just after Pahonu sold. They got them from a sales brochure from Mary Worrall... in a news clip we could see Mary showing the brochure to a reporter. I know KENJI was trying to get his hands on an actual brochure that these photos came from but not sure if he was ever able to?

Duke of Perth
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2004 Post by Duke of Perth »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
eagle wrote: I'd love to see a correct 2D floorplan with not only the room labels, but also pictures from the sales listing. What a great idea!
Hi eagle! You've probably seen these in this thread? We copied them from a newpaper article that ran just after Pahonu sold. They got them from a sales brochure from Mary Worrall... in a news clip we could see Mary showing the brochure to a reporter. I know KENJI was trying to get his hands on an actual brochure that these photos came from but not sure if he was ever able to?

These are spectacular!! I'm a drafter/Designer by trade and have long thought about creating floorplans and a 3D model of the estate structures. I've been seeing so many good pictures on this site that I just might be able to pull it off.
"First drink is always to the regiment!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2005 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Duke of Perth wrote: These are spectacular!! I'm a drafter/Designer by trade and have long thought about creating floorplans and a 3D model of the estate structures. I've been seeing so many good pictures on this site that I just might be able to pull it off.
Hi Duke of Perth! Not sure if you saw the first part of that message but an MM member "Pahonu" has done a 3D model already. Here's a link to my post above: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 666#p54666 To be honest, I'm able to get around downstairs but when I try to go upstairs I end up in the tidal pool :wink:

A 2D plan would be wonderful! :D

Duke of Perth
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2006 Post by Duke of Perth »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Duke of Perth wrote: These are spectacular!! I'm a drafter/Designer by trade and have long thought about creating floorplans and a 3D model of the estate structures. I've been seeing so many good pictures on this site that I just might be able to pull it off.
Hi Duke of Perth! Not sure if you saw the first part of that message but an MM member "Pahonu" has done a 3D model already. Here's a link to my post above: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 666#p54666 To be honest, I'm able to get around downstairs but when I try to go upstairs I end up in the tidal pool :wink:

A 2D plan would be wonderful! :D
Yes, I did see that! I'll have to look at it when I get home, which won't be until after my 2 weeks on Oahu :magnum:

However, I want to create the plans/models for my own entertainment and because it's been a while since I've really spent time working on a detailed 3D rendering project. I need to brush up on my skills and this is a good excuse to do that.
"First drink is always to the regiment!"

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#2007 Post by eagle »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Yes, I've seen those pics, and they are great. Is there any chance that higher-resolution versions are available?

Should we contact Mary Worrall to ask if she has higher quality images and would be willing to share them?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2008 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

eagle wrote:
Should we contact Mary Worrall to ask if she has higher quality images and would be willing to share them?
Let's ask KENJI since I believe he contacted her?... KENJI? You there? :wink: I'll PM him to let him know we're asking.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2009 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
eagle wrote:
Let's ask KENJI since I believe he contacted her?... KENJI? You there? :wink: I'll PM him to let him know we're asking.
Hi gang, sorry I'm late to the meeting.....I suggest you don't bother her....I'm pretty sure she thinks we are a bit nuts anyways......I prefer obsessed. :wink: She has already dealt with a bunch of fans trying to get in for private viewings and was even offered cash for a tour which she obviously declined, so she isn't really sympathetic to our demands. She is very professional at what she does and her main concern is for her clients and their privacy, not us. The house was sold three years ago, the photos we already have are really good (thanks RG for posting them) and Eve/the new owner wouldn't approve of releasing anything else anyway.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2010 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Thanks KENJI! For some reason I had it in my mind that you contacted her about the pics... my mistake! :D