Oahu MPI MaP

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#16 Post by rubber chicken »

Looks like it was bought by a new owner (who also owns the house to the north) in late 2006. The sale amount was $3,245,000 which suggests the Tokyo couple who bought the home in 2001 for $2,485,000 made a nice profit of $760,000 in five years.

edit - I meant to also say that the address is listed as private on the Oahu property site, so I doubt people can visit.

n.magnum
Lieutenant

#17 Post by n.magnum »

I went to the Anderson estate AKA Robin Masters Estate and it is in bad shape. One side note is there is some people there renovating. Maybe for the movie....who knows. One suggestion go on low tide. I had to go twice because the water was so high the first time! Also there is a lot of people there fishing. I took lots of pics, I'll try to put them up soon.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#18 Post by golfmobile »

RC,

Aren't Google pictures (i.e., what we see with GE) about two years old anyway? So gates could have been put up to restrict this area since GE's satellite access took the pictures? That could explain why you don't see any with GE.

n.magnum,

We've heard that the estate looks rather shabby, mostly because the cyclone fence along the beach line has gotten so rotted, rusting, and falling down. Where were the workers doing renovation? Other recent pictures on the 'net from other fans show the fence as really poor condition and the boathouse really looking abandoned.

When the water is high (high tide), couldn't you still swim around to the Anderson part of the beach, if you can't walk around without getting wet?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

n.magnum
Lieutenant

#19 Post by n.magnum »

The workers were working on the balcony where Higgins stands sometimes. It had tarps on it. The fence was rotting and the boat house was abandoned. Oh you can swim even if the tide is high but it was much more enjoyable to walk around and you can see the rocks in the tidal pool better. plus when the water is calm it is so beautiful and clear! From the water looking at the estate there was a ladder on the side of the house as well. Don't know what they were working on. I found dog tracks on the other side of the fence where Magnum breaks in during the pilot and there was a man working by the front almost out of site.

Nate

Olivier
Rear Admiral

Re: Oahu MPI MaP

#20 Post by Olivier »

golfmobile wrote:Who’s doing the map of all the locations? I remember its being discussed on several threads, none of which can I find right now.
6 Years ago I found these two maps on internet. Of course they' re not perfect but maybe it's interesting for someone :

And do not forget this awesome page : http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/On_Location.html

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#21 Post by ConchRepublican »

My first thought was "it looks like TC has a heck of a commute to work." Then I thought . . . . wouldn't he fly back and forth most of the time?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#22 Post by golfmobile »

Well, he had the van painted in the same colors as the heli. And he did a lot of stuff with the kids and baseball, etc., so he drove a lot. I would think, from a practical standpoint, he would need to leave the heli at the heliport at the pier. I don't why they used that house for filming TC's house -- they never referred to it as being far, far away from everything else, so that didn't contribute to any plot. Surely there were other houses they could use. If they used it only because of the line about how the helicopters flew over the pass looking like Vietnam (Did You See the Sunrise?, talking with Nuzo)), well, no other time did any geographical limitations or realities interfere with whatever story line was being followed. It was really impractical to have his house way out in the boonies like that. But it was rarely referred to and rarely visited. I can't remember any other time than DYSTS. I'm sure others can, but that doesn't seem like a very practical place. They ALL had to go there to film that DYSTS scene! Was any other filming location that was supposed to be something constantly used/occupied so inaccessible?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#23 Post by Doc Ibold »

golfmobile wrote:Well, he had the van painted in the same colors as the heli. And he did a lot of stuff with the kids and baseball, etc., so he drove a lot. I would think, from a practical standpoint, he would need to leave the heli at the heliport at the pier. I don't why they used that house for filming TC's house -- they never referred to it as being far, far away from everything else, so that didn't contribute to any plot. Surely there were other houses they could use. If they used it only because of the line about how the helicopters flew over the pass looking like Vietnam (Did You See the Sunrise?, talking with Nuzo)), well, no other time did any geographical limitations or realities interfere with whatever story line was being followed. It was really impractical to have his house way out in the boonies like that. But it was rarely referred to and rarely visited. I can't remember any other time than DYSTS. I'm sure others can, but that doesn't seem like a very practical place. They ALL had to go there to film that DYSTS scene! Was any other filming location that was supposed to be something constantly used/occupied so inaccessible?

golf
Hey Golf, it was seen in "Paradise Blues", "Missing Melody" and "The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company", along with "DYSTS"

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#24 Post by golfmobile »

Doc,

Thanks!

Was there any inference that TC's home was FAR, FAR away from everything else? Was the house shown in those other episodes the same house that was used in DYSTS? For some reason, I keep thinking there was some reference somewhere to his moving from one place to another. Is my mind just making that up?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

VM02
Rear Admiral

#25 Post by VM02 »

Has it struck anyone that TCs house would have been awfully expensive?
Perhaps he played a few years in the NFL after Grambling?
Or he comes from money?
Or his helicopter business is ALOT better than the show makes it out to be.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#26 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I get the feeling that, from a few episodes, TC seems to do pretty well. I think he is probably very smart with his money.
Last edited by IKnowWhatYoureThinking on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:My first thought was "it looks like TC has a heck of a commute to work." Then I thought . . . . wouldn't he fly back and forth most of the time?
I wonder if there was ever a map in Bellisario's mind of where everything is located in the world of the show. Robin's Nest was supposedly on the North Shore, was it ever mentioned where the ever changing Club was actually located on Oahu, I would think Rick would live in that same area. And who know where Island Hoppers was supposedly located, some of the early episodes showed it near the Marina on the west end of Waikiki which would make sense for tourist activity. The problem is that we all know thru research where all the actual locations are and not the locations in the world of Magnum, pi..........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

golfmobile wrote:Was there any inference that TC's home was FAR, FAR away from everything else? Was the house shown in those other episodes the same house that was used in DYSTS? For some reason, I keep thinking there was some reference somewhere to his moving from one place to another. Is my mind just making that up?
Yes, the outside of T.C.'s house was seen very briefly in "Paradise Blues" and "Missing Melody" as an "establishing shot". It's the same house that was used in "Did You See the Sunrise?". Here is the "establishing shot" from "Paradise Blues"....

I don't think we saw an outside shot in "The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company". It was just the indoor set, which was different from the earlier ones. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the only time the real house was used for filming was for "Did You See the Sunrise?".

And yeah, Rick appears to be the only one who had a short commute to work! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#29 Post by ConchRepublican »

ConchRepublican wrote:My first thought was "it looks like TC has a heck of a commute to work." Then I thought . . . . wouldn't he fly back and forth most of the time?
THEN I thought, "Conch, you putz, did they really care where the house was in real life? In the MPI-verse it could be at the top of the range right behind the pier. All that matters is that they liked the place. Remember, distance has little to do with space, and cream donuts."
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

VM02
Rear Admiral

#30 Post by VM02 »

What a great set of characters:

Ex Navy Seal who lives off the generosity of a world class writer and shuns authority.
Lifelong British Army Solider in the employ of the same world class writer who worships authority.
Nightclub manager who has ties to the Mob.
All American Football player now Millionare businessman who coaches little league on the side. (from TCs house on this thread)

Wow! I'd love to have been in the work meeting where they dreamed this all up. (of course, we know it sort of evolved over the years.)