Kid-Friendly Episodes

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Kid-Friendly Episodes

#1 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I was in the mood for watching an episode of Magnum over the weekend but I was looking after my four-year-old son. So I started brainstorming about what episodes would be appropriate for a kid that age (i.e., light storyline and little to no violence).

I settled on The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u and it was a hit!

Can anyone else think of any others?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Little Garwood »

Legend of the Lost Art maybe?

The Legacy of Garwood Huddle...it even has a little kid in it!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by rasgards »

Sorry to say I've brainwashed all my daughters since they were young. They watch all of them :shock:
Ras G

Styles Bitchley

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

rasgards wrote:Sorry to say I've brainwashed all my daughters since they were young. They watch all of them :shock:
:lol: I think my wife would string me up if I rolled out Did you See the Sun Rise or Death and Taxes!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
rasgards wrote:Sorry to say I've brainwashed all my daughters since they were young. They watch all of them :shock:
:lol: I think my wife would string me up if I rolled out Did you See the Sun Rise or Death and Taxes!
Yeah, but Junior Bitchley would be the coolest tot in daycare when he recites TM's speech to Ivan or attempts the "Hotel Dick" jump! :lol: :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#6 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Paper War could be a good one.

Styles Bitchley

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Paper War could be a good one.
Good call!

- J.Q.H.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#8 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'm thinking I may watch that tonight with my step daughter since H50 didn't record this week.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#9 Post by Pahonu »

I remember watching the Ironman episode from season one with my kids when they were about 5 and 6. They don't seem to have been traumatized by it in any way. :) They've seen many episode now that they're 9 and 10. It's also the only complete episode my wife has ever watched as she competes in triathalons of shorter distance so I convinced her to take a look.. She was annoyed by Marcia Wallace. It might have traumtized her because she's never watched another one!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Braddah Kimo »

That ep wherein magnum ends up on a remote island called Kapu. Dick Jensen is the chief. Kids may like it, as they hopefully would learn from magnum's aggressive behavious stuff like respect the host culture and people of another land when yer a guest.. etc.. (what not to d learned from people who do stuff what not should be done... kinda thang)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

"The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u" would probably be the best one. It even has some Woody Woodpecker in it! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley

#12 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks for the tips guys. I just realized my four year old is an honorary member of the forum as he appears (as a baby) in my avatar.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#13 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Okay, so Paper War was so-so for my wee lad. I never realized how long the dialogue scenes between Magnum and Higgins in the elevator were. I love those scenes, but for a for year old...fast forward!

I think I'll try out Beauty Knows No Pain next.

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Skipped Beauty Knows no Pain this weekend and instead took in Old Acquaintance with the wee lad. Great one!

It's funny, when watching on my own, I find this episode a bit tedious (not the flipper episode again!). However, watching with my kid gives me a new perspective. Great ending!

Anybody ever notice how unimaginative the title of this episode is? Am I missing some hidden meaning in the phrase "old acquaintance" or is it just the fact that the Mag catches up with an old acquaintance???

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, Goldie is the "old acquaintance" from high school. Although it is somewhat strange since she was obviously more than just an acquaintance as Rick and T.C. joke about in the guesthouse. She helped him with his homework, but constantly annoyed him. She burned down the goalposts in an act of protest against the violence of football during the school's homecoming game! She was obviously more than mere acquaintance! But maybe those memories are too painful for Magnum, so for his own well-being he forces himself to remember her as just an "acquaintance", hence the title. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!