7.5 (Decent) 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 73
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:49 pm 
Founding Father

This is the official MM thread for The Eighth Part of the Village (3.4). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/14/1982
A Pandora's box is opened when Magnum realizes that the crate of books he picked up at the docks actually contains a Japanese stowaway.

Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:23 pm 
Master Flub Spotter

This was always one of my favorite episodes from season 3. This episode has a clever plot involving the evil sister (Mioshi) impersonating the good sister (Asani) in order to lure her father to the estate so the evil sister can assassinate him in a power grab. TC and Rick are also integrated well into this episode.

This episode also includes a scene which takes place on the balcony of the estate’s main house, which offers a rare look at the grounds below. I may be mistaken, but I don’t recall any other scenes shot from this balcony. This balcony offers a beautiful vantage point, I’m surprised it wasn’t used more. The scene on the balcony takes place right after Magnum and TC search Roy Chambers’ apartment and get interrupted by the apartment manager.

This episode also has a time-line flub involving Higgins. In the scene right after Magnum falls into the water at the dock, the camera cuts to a shot of the estate at night and then Higgins and Mioshi (posing as Asani) having dinner. Higgins is telling her how he and her father met during WWII. Higgins says “It was 1942, Summer, I’d been transferred from the North African campaign to New Guinea and attached to the Australian 7th Division…” He goes on to say that after 6 months his unit stumbled upon Sato and his men. I believe Higgins was supposedly in North Africa in August 1942. In October 1942, Higgins was taking supplies to Chinese Guerillas in the Himalayas (J. Digger Doyle). If Higgins was transferred to New Guinea in the Summer (August) of 1942, and was there with the 7th Division for 6 months before meeting Sato and his men, then he could not have been in the Himalayas in October 1942.

Not a flub, but interesting nonetheless. The preview at the beginning of the episode includes a deleted scene from the episode. The scene that is in the preview but not the episode shows Magnum standing between two large metal rectangular containers (while at the warehouse) and the forklift coming right at him and he says “I’m standing here. Hello”, then the preview cuts to the next scene. The scene that we see in the episode is of Magnum walking into the warehouse turning right, then left, and then we see him hanging from the forklift. I don’t usually pay too much attention to the previews of the episodes, but I don’t recall seeing a scene in the previews that wasn’t in the actual episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:51 pm 
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I don’t recall seeing a scene in the previews that wasn’t in the actual episode.

Two times I saw a short scene in the "preview at the end" (I don't know the english name of this) that wasn' t in the episode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 am 
Master Flub Spotter

Olivier wrote:
Quote:
I don’t recall seeing a scene in the previews that wasn’t in the actual episode.

Two times I saw a short scene in the "preview at the end" (I don't know the english name of this) that wasn' t in the episode.

That's interesting Olivier. I'll have to pay more attention. I usually just skip over the previews.

P.S. Your english is very good. No need to apologize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:51 pm 
Founding Father

IslandHopper wrote:
Not a flub, but interesting nonetheless. The preview at the beginning of the episode includes a deleted scene from the episode. The scene that is in the preview but not the episode shows Magnum standing between two large metal rectangular containers (while at the warehouse) and the forklift coming right at him and he says “I’m standing here. Hello”, then the preview cuts to the next scene. The scene that we see in the episode is of Magnum walking into the warehouse turning right, then left, and then we see him hanging from the forklift. I don’t usually pay too much attention to the previews of the episodes, but I don’t recall seeing a scene in the previews that wasn’t in the actual episode.

Great find IH! This is a first for me, too. Great clip. Not sure why they didn't use it.

"I'm standing right here. Hello."

:lol:

Oliver, "Kapu" added a brief shot to the end credits showing Magnum and Mano in a canoe. And then, of course, there was the bloopers and outtakes in the end credits of "The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:04 pm 
Resident Clutterbuck

"Thicker Than Blood" also includes a scene that isn't in the episode, where Magnum explains that he and Rick, "Just want to talk to our buddy." Technically, this would probably be considered more of an extended scene than a deleted one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:09 pm 
Captain

In the episode with Sharon Stone, I noticed in the preview showing Magnum and Sharon Stone in the shower, that if you look very closely you see Tom Selleck is wearing shorts. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:43 pm 
Fleet Admiral

In one of the voice-overs near the beginning of this episode, Magnum refers to himself as "Thomas Sullivan Magnum." I said, "Hey, that's the first time the show has mentioned his middle name," and Hubby said, "No, I think T.C. called him 'Thomas Sullivan Magnum' a couple of episodes ago."

Can anyone verify either theory, and/or prove us both wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:28 am 
Master Flub Spotter

Carol the Dabbler wrote:
In one of the voice-overs near the beginning of this episode, Magnum refers to himself as "Thomas Sullivan Magnum." I said, "Hey, that's the first time the show has mentioned his middle name," and Hubby said, "No, I think T.C. called him 'Thomas Sullivan Magnum' a couple of episodes ago."

Can anyone verify either theory, and/or prove us both wrong?

In "Memories Are Forever" (Season 2) we see Magnum's middle name on his drivers license, or at least an abbreviated version (Sull).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:21 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Oh, you're right, Hopper. Maybe my reaction that "Eighth Part of the Village" was the first time was because it was the first (?) time that his middle name was spoken. But "Memories Are Forever" obviously established that his middle name is Sullivan (or selected portions thereof) -- unless it was snuck in somewhere even earlier.

I'm thinking that "they" probably gave Magnum three names right from the beginning, so they wouldn't accidentally say his middle name was "Oliver" in one episode (initials T.O.M. :D ) and "Jasper" in another.