3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 111

karolis
Admiral

Re: Texas Lightning (2.18)

#46 Post by karolis »

It was nice to hear TM telling "No Need to Now?" when JL didn't want to explain what her mission was for an agency (26:17 mark, when TM and JL were climbing rocks). It reminded of the Season 1 episode "No Need to Know".

At 23:55 mark, top left you can seen a plane going up in the background:

When i saw Seth Sakai i immediately recognised him from previous episodes. Apparently he was in a few later ones two.

Funny looking TM double can be seen here from behind:

Here's my Season Two's Top up to this episode:

1. Tropical Madness (loved this one)
2-3. Memories Are Forever (1 & 2)
4. Italian Ice
5. Try to Remember
6. The Woman on the Beach
7. The Jororo Kill
8. Computer Date
9. Dead Man’s Channel
10. Wave Goodbye
11. Texas Lightning
12. Ghost Writer
13. The Sixth Position
14. From Moscow to Maui
15. One More Summer
16. The Taking of Dick McWilliams
17. Billy Joe Bob
18. Mad Buck Gibson

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Little Garwood »

I just saw an old CBS advert for this episode, and it sent me back to this thread. I'd completely forgotten my "Texas Lightning" episode review of a few years ago. In fact, I tend to forget this episode exists! :oops: I gave it a "Decent" rating, and I don't dislike it at all; there's somethng about this adventure that causes it to slip from my memory.
K Hale wrote: Several people have mentioned the drinking scene and how the grief was not well conveyed. It was definitely played for laughs (unlike "Limbo" which I have a really hard time watching) but I suppose that was because we knew Magnum wasn't dead here so why waste all that emotion on a brief scene when the guys are about to go out and search for him anyway. Plus only Rick seems to really be grieving; Higgins does not believe Magnum is dead and TC seems unconvinced either way.
Excellent point, and one I neglected to make in my previous post. The scene features every character behaving as we would expect.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Can someone explain to me the ending in the hospital? So I assume Magnum took out the microfilm or whatever he was looking for in her purse while she was sleeping. Then when they were saying their good-byes he gave her a chance to come clean and hand over the microfilm to him willingly which she didn't. Did she still think she had it with her at that point? Then when she leaves and the nurse hands TM some small case it's never explained what that is. The nurse mentions something about Jeannie playing around with some pieces that I guess were in that case? I didn't get that. Or was that case supposed to contain the microfilm? And if so then what did TM remove from her purse earlier?

What did I miss?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by 308GUY »

You didn't miss anything.

Yes that case housed the microfilm...till TM discovered and "liberated" it.

They were both waiting for the other to say they had it...and neither did.

She left the compact with the nurse with instruction to give it to TM if she left alone, which would mean neither came clean.

Trust.....it's a fragile thing....and yet can be the strongest bond between humans that exists.....yet so very easily fractured at times.

There's one idiot's version anyway! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

308GUY wrote:You didn't miss anything.

Yes that case housed the microfilm...till TM discovered and "liberated" it.

They were both waiting for the other to say they had it...and neither did.

She left the compact with the nurse with instruction to give it to TM if she left alone, which would mean neither came clean.

Trust.....it's a fragile thing....and yet can be the strongest bond between humans that exists.....yet so very easily fractured at times.

There's one idiot's version anyway! :magnum:
So, if I understand this correctly, Jeannie gave TM the empty compact (via the nurse) knowing that he had already removed the microfilm from it earlier while she was sleeping?

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by 308GUY »

ITT:
That's my understanding/interpretation.

That was her way of letting him know...she knew he had found it, and was waiting for him to tell her...that's why he took out after her when he realized what had transpired.

As I said...just one idiot's perspective.....I'm sure if you ask 10 people the same question...you'd likely get at least 9 different answers....just human nature and we all tend to see things based on our own experiences..not necessarily logic and/or facts.

Your results may vary.... :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

308GUY wrote:ITT:
That's my understanding/interpretation.

That was her way of letting him know...she knew he had found it, and was waiting for him to tell her...that's why he took out after her when he realized what had transpired.

As I said...just one idiot's perspective.....I'm sure if you ask 10 people the same question...you'd likely get at least 9 different answers....just human nature and we all tend to see things based on our own experiences..not necessarily logic and/or facts.

Your results may vary.... :higgins:
I suppose you're right that the ending is open to multiple interpretations but somehow I can't help but think there's something not quite right with the way it's written.

Ok, she knows he found the microchip. So she waits for him to tell her that he found it? Why? What will this prove? That he's upfront with her? Ok, but how does this change anything? I mean he has every right to take that microchip away from her because she's a spy, and worse as Higgins mentions, she's working for the Russians. She's lucky he didn't have her arrested. But whatever, so if he had confessed to her that he snuck into her purse and stole the microchip what supposedly would have happened? She would have fallen into his arms and abandoned the spy life? But because he didn't confess to her she lets him know that she knows what he did and then runs away, presumably to continue being a spy? I know sometimes as grown-ups we can be complicated creatures, but it just seems like Jeannie's logic here is seriously flawed. She asked TM to leave with her but it seems to me that if she REALLY wanted this to happen she'd be the one to come clean and say "here, I'm returning this microchip and turning over a new leaf, now come with me". Why would TM leave with her knowing she's a Russian spy and isn't saying anything about giving up the microchip? She even could have told him that she knows he took the chip and that she's okay with it. Then perhaps TM's reaction would have been different. But the onus of proving one's trust is definitely all on her in this case. I don't see that TM has to prove anything. He's just a guy trying to do the right thing. She's the spy.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by ENSHealy »

2.18 TEXAS LIGHTNING
Hawaiian shirts:
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Shirtless: .5 shirt open for no apparent reason after sleeping overnight on the island.
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations: 1 the tux instead of a birthday present
Famous guest stars:
Higgins Organizations:
Magnumometer: 3.5

Potential magnumania usernames: Paulo Polo, Baron von Klaus

Magnumometer moments: https://vimeo.com/373813185

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Higgins: I've contemplated Magnum's death. Theoretically, of course, given the almost inevitable consequences of his sordid occupation. And I know, however desolated I would be, I would also experience a certain...a certain catharsis that is singularly missing.
TC: Uh, run that by me again, Higgy baby, only this time in English.
Higgins: I don't believe Magnum's dead.

In the "mourning" scene, Higgins admonishes Rick about spilling "cheap rye whiskey" on the sofa. But Rick and TC didn't bring it, as they appear to be drinking it from a decanter. So why would Higgins stock such stuff in the first place, and then be critical of his own stuff?

And about that signal fire...first, they appear to be on an island free of trees (despite what we later see during the helicopter chase) so where did all that wood come from? Second, if they ran out of gas in the boat, what is it that TM pours on the wood just before he lights it up? And third, there is very little smoke coming from that fire, and what there is dissipates almost immediately. There is no way the guys in the chopper would have spotted it. (TM did mention that JL should put some weeds on it to generate smoke, but she never does.)

All of this, however, is just minor quibbling, as it is an enjoyable episode. True, there isn't enough basis for the supposed anquish of their parting at the end, but the setup and last line is so damn good it doesn't matter.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ENSHealy wrote:2.18 TEXAS LIGHTNING
Hawaiian shirts:
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Shirtless: .5 shirt open for no apparent reason after sleeping overnight on the island.
Little Voice:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Famous guest stars:
Higgins Organizations:

Potential magnumania usernames: Paulo Polo, Baron von Klaus

Magnumometer moments: https://vimeo.com/373813185

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Higgins: I've contemplated Magnum's death. Theoretically, of course, given the almost inevitable consequences of his sordid occupation. And I know, however desolated I would be, I would also experience a certain...a certain catharsis that is singularly missing.
TC: Uh, run that by me again, Higgy baby, only this time in English.
Higgins: I don't believe Magnum's dead.

In the "mourning" scene, Higgins admonishes Rick about spilling "cheap rye whiskey" on the sofa. But Rick and TC didn't bring it, as they appear to be drinking it from a decanter. So why would Higgins stock such stuff in the first place, and then be critical of his own stuff?
And about that signal fire...first, they appear to be on an island free of trees (despite what we later see during the helicopter chase) so where did all that wood come from? Second, if they ran out of gas in the boat, what is it that TM pours on the wood just before he lights it up? And third, there is very little smoke coming from that fire, and what there is dissipates almost immediately. There is no way the guys in the chopper would have spotted it. (TM did mention that JL should put some weeds on it to generate smoke, but she never does.)
All of this, however, is just minor quibbling, as it is an enjoyable episode. True, there isn't enough basis for the supposed anquish of their parting at the end, but the setup and last line is so damn good it doesn't matter.
Hi ENSHealy,
Speaking for myself, but I am sure others feel the same way, I want to thank you for all these informative posts you share. Keep up the good work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Higgins: You're simply to be his "legman" as he describes it.
Luther Gillis: Yeah, yeah. The day I'm Tom Magnum's "legman" is the day I sit on the street corner selling pencils and drinking cheap pink out of a paper bag.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by terryfromkerry »

Yes indeed young Dobie, I completely agree and well said. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by ENSHealy »

Thanks guys, it's nice to have this forum to share with!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Gorilla Mask »

average episode for me: not a very memorable but not a trashed one too...

The good points:

- again a very subtle an laughtable scene in the Estate's Greenhouse: TM was totally 'led by the tip of the nose' during this one...
- a good choppers chase scene with some very good cameras shots... However, shotting down a Bell Jetranger with a mere rescue flare is a bit irrelevant;
- Tompson as a Villain is really cruel and frightening: would never play even Scabby Queen with such a person !
- The twisted an bitter ending is quite good: it should have been highlighted though.

The 'bad sides'

- The introducing airport scene seemed to me unrealistic (not a traveler to warn the dedicated security/airport police immediatly after the gun shots ?)
- IMO, Julie Sommars performance was poor and not very credible. It is emphasized in French by the dubbing voice which was perfectly... simpleton;
-Some pointeless catfighting between TM and Jeannie Lowry... quite boring at the end;
- The romance is too hasty and looked a little faked.

So a decent mark for me. 8)
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#58 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Just rewatched this one.

If I remember correctly between season 6 and 7 the summer reruns were some best of Magnum episodes and this one was included. Does anyone else remember this? The commercial was Tom Selleck saying CBS asked him to pick his favorite episodes and he had darts with him? I may have imagined it.

I felt this was one?p of he best episodes - not sure if it cracks the top 10, but the twist ending made it a home run for me.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by ENSHealy »

ENSHealy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 am 2.18 TEXAS LIGHTNING
Hawaiian shirts:
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Little Voice:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Famous guest stars:
Higgins Organizations:
Magnumometer update after 40th Anniversary party viewing:

EPISODE: 2.18 Texas Lightning

Famous guest stars:
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum: .5 shirt open for no apparent reason after sleeping overnight on the island.
OMG: 1
Higgins Organizations:
Gun Play: 1
Bullet wounds:
Body Count (by Magnum):
Little Voice:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Magnumometer: 6.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/373813185
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by ENSHealy »

They use the same escalator for another shooting in Season 7's Kapu:

https://vimeo.com/682247199

And of course the the mustachioed gunmen in both scenes appear in multiple episodes.

I guess they were implementing Reduce, Reuse, Recycle before it was cool.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence