1%

Total votes: 109

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Skin Deep (1.6)

#106 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Sam wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Sam wrote:Hi Ivan... the address is 3065 Diamond Head Road.
Thanks Sam! I actually just got back from O'ahu and it turns out I drove past this property a few times (even walked close to it) without even knowing it :( Had I known I certainly would have taken a peek over the gate to see what the premises looks like. Looking at this pic online https://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_h/ISe ... 000000.jpg (above the outlined in red property) it looks like a pretty large place with quite a few of these similar looking brown pitched roof houses on the grounds. It looks like all these houses are on the same estate grounds.
Hi Ivan... the house you have outlined is not the house..It is the brown pitched roof house and the house next door with the solar panels was also used in an episode.

This is the address of the other house..

Lanihau Estate (3101 Diamond Head Rd.) - "Icepick's home (2nd one)*" (ID'd by rubber chicken)

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Season ... right.html
Sam, yes I stated above that it's not the outlined house - it's the house above the outlined one. The outlined house isn't something I did - I found it online.

Looking from above it looks like all those houses with the brown pitched roofs are on the same property and are part of the same address, but looking at Google Street View I see that there are at least 3 different gates that allow entrance onto those grounds with those pitched-roof homes. The first gate (a brown wooden gate) has the 3065 address on it, the second gate (with grayish paneling) has the 3101 on it, and the third gate (also with grayish paneling), which is closest to the Makalei Beach Park, has no address on it. So I guess these are 3 separate private residences? I somehow assumed these were a cluster of homes all belonging to one owner. In fact when you see Magnum and Rick arrive in the Ferrari at Lisa's residence in The Woman on the Beach (after he goes through the gate) there seems to be a sort of winding path (almost like at Robin's Nest) that Magnum drives down until he parks in front of Lisa's house. You can see one of the other pitched-roof houses there too (just behind where Magnum parks the Ferrari) and I don't see any kind of fence or divider so it looks like it's all one property. The premises looks very spacious, like it's more than just the 3065 address. More like the entire area of all those pitched-roof houses. Or maybe I can't quite make out the geography. I can't tell exactly which of those pitched-roof houses is Lisa's house/Erin's house.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by Sam »

Hi Ivan,
Oops it was late and I mis-read your post... the house you're looking for is 3065 Diamond Head Road,of the two houses it's the house without the solar panels.
Take a look at rubber chickens guide he lays it out which houses were used in which episodes.

http://magnum-mania.com/A_Rubber_Chicken_Guide.html

Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Hi Sam,

I pulled up RubberChicken's GoogleEarth Magnum locations and zoomed in on the Alexander Estate below:

Then I zoomed in specifically on the Erin Wolfe/Lisa Page home below:

So I see 4 red X's here. I have 2 questions about this:

1. These X's are spread across different sections of the house. Is this significant? As in these 4 episodes were filmed in these different sections of the house? Or are they just spread out that way for legibility's sake? The front door to Lisa's home and to Erin's home is definitely the same and scenes are even shot in the same room inside.
2. Is this in fact all one house? I'm assuming it is.

I have to say that watching Magnum pulling up to Lisa's house the geography is still confusing when I look at these screenshots. I don't see that path that leads from the gate to Lisa's house in the screenshots.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by Sam »

Calling Rubber Girl.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: So I see 4 red X's here. I have 2 questions about this:

1. These X's are spread across different sections of the house. Is this significant? As in these 4 episodes were filmed in these different sections of the house? Or are they just spread out that way for legibility's sake? The front door to Lisa's home and to Erin's home is definitely the same and scenes are even shot in the same room inside.

I have to say that watching Magnum pulling up to Lisa's house the geography is still confusing when I look at these screenshots. I don't see that path that leads from the gate to Lisa's house in the screenshots.
Hi Ivan!

Sam PMed me to help out with your questions. (And gosh Sam, the entire summer went by and I wasn't called Rubber Girl once! :wink: )

The red X's never used to be part of RC's guide... his links have become broken, and the large red X's have replaced links to photographs, if we're remembering correctly. I PMed JJ about it a few months ago, and he reached out to RC but I don't know if JJ ever heard back from him. As I told JJ, I'm willing to do whatever grunt work is necessary to get the links fixed.

To answer your second question, yes, 3065 is all one house "Haumalu". Next door at 3101 is "Lanihau" (which has two gates as you pointed out). They used to be all one property but was divided into separate properties sometime after the sale in 1986.

Hopefully the screen cap below will help about TM & Rick driving onto the property... they drive along the property line, then park, and the house you can see behind them is the back of 2823 Coconut Ave.

Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote: So I see 4 red X's here. I have 2 questions about this:

Hi Ivan!

Sam PMed me to help out with your questions. (And gosh Sam, the entire summer went by and I wasn't called Rubber Girl once! :wink: )

The red X's never used to be part of RC's guide... his links have become broken, and the large red X's have replaced links to photographs, if we're remembering correctly. I PMed JJ about it a few months ago, and he reached out to RC but I don't know if JJ ever heard back from him. As I told JJ, I'm willing to do whatever grunt work is necessary to get the links fixed.

To answer your second question, yes, 3065 is all one house "Haumalu". Next door at 3101 is "Lanihou" (which has two gates as you pointed out). They used to be all one property but was divided into separate properties sometime after the sale in 1986.

Hopefully the screen cap below will help about TM & Rick driving onto the property... they drive along the property line, then park, and the house you can see behind them is the back of 2823 Coconut Ave.

Thanks, Rembrandt's Girl (or is it Rubber's Girl :wink: ?)

I still have some more questions though:

1. So does 3065 ("Haumalu") consist of 2 houses? In your screen cap I see the house closest to Diamond Head Rd (with one side of the roof having solar panels) labeled as 3065 but Erin's/Lisa's house is the house further back (without the solar panels). So are they both "Haumalu"? Both address 3065?

2. Your red line I'm assuming is the property line and driveway along which Magnum drives and then parks in front of Lisa's house, the second house without the solar panels. But there's a slight problem here because that driveway seems to be a straight line from the front gate to Lisa's house. But in the episode when Magnum goes through the gate and is on the property he then makes a right turn towards Lisa's house. It's almost as if he entered through the second or maybe third gate which I guess would be the 3101 address.

3. When Magnum parks the Ferrari in front of Lisa's house the house behind the Ferrari has the same brown color pitched roof as Lisa's house which doesn't match any of the roofs that are on Coconut Ave. That's why I thought the house behind the Ferrari has to be one of those other houses on the Haumalu and Lanihau grounds. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Now that I look at Street View again I think the house that you have labeled as 3065 (the one closest to Diamond Head Rd.) is actually 3101 because the gray gate (which is the second gate) that leads directly to this house is labeled 3101 when I look at it in Street View. So maybe this house is not part of Haumalu, just the Erin/Lisa house is Haumalu/3065 Diamond Head Rd.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Thanks, Rembrandt's Girl (or is it Rubber's Girl :wink: ?)
Haha! Okie dokie Ivan, I read your questions below and you forced me to dig deeper! :wink: And so sorry for the delay in responding, I use imgur for my pics and they were doing maintenance this week and I wasn't able to upload pics for the last 24 hours. :evil: Anyway...
IvanTheTerrible wrote: I still have some more questions though:

1. So does 3065 ("Haumalu") consist of 2 houses? In your screen cap I see the house closest to Diamond Head Rd (with one side of the roof having solar panels) labeled as 3065 but Erin's/Lisa's house is the house further back (without the solar panels). So are they both "Haumalu"? Both address 3065?
Sorry for the confusion... the "3065 Diamond Head Road" location label on the pic I posted is actually Google maps' label, not mine, and they plunked it in that location. Please ignore it.

To answer your question, today 3065 is only one house and property (Lisa's house/Haumalu). Next door is 3101 (Lanihau) which has multiple structures. Here are their GIS maps to help show the property lines, in orange...

3065 - HAUMALU:

3101 - LANIHAU:

Originally however, it was all one property, and the address was 3101. I found a Honolulu Magazine article online from May of this year about Haumalu, and the current owners explain that they were only able to purchase 1/3 of the property, I assume due to price (?), and they thanked their current neighbor for purchasing the other 2/3. Looking at the county records, it looks like this took place in 1999, so when MPI was filming it was all one property. http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolul ... lu-Houses/

IvanTheTerrible wrote:2. Your red line I'm assuming is the property line and driveway along which Magnum drives and then parks in front of Lisa's house, the second house without the solar panels. But there's a slight problem here because that driveway seems to be a straight line from the front gate to Lisa's house. But in the episode when Magnum goes through the gate and is on the property he then makes a right turn towards Lisa's house. It's almost as if he entered through the second or maybe third gate which I guess would be the 3101 address.

3. When Magnum parks the Ferrari in front of Lisa's house the house behind the Ferrari has the same brown color pitched roof as Lisa's house which doesn't match any of the roofs that are on Coconut Ave. That's why I thought the house behind the Ferrari has to be one of those other houses on the Haumalu and Lanihau grounds. Any thoughts?
So, digging deeper, I read on the Historic Hawaii Foundation's website that Haumalu had a garage... "A separate garage housing 2-3 cars and bathroom was designed by Dickey at the same time as the main house with redwood siding and stained concrete floors." (https://historichawaii.org/2014/02/28/3 ... residence/) Here's a pic of the garage in 1975 from the historic aerial's website. You can pull it up yourself by just typing in the address and selecting the 1975 image on the left https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer. I've circled the garage, which has the dark shingled, double-pitched roof...

So, TM & Rick DID drive in through the 3101 gate (the "second" gate as you called it), then park in front of the old garage. Below I've circled the location where the old garage stood, which is no longer there, and a new structure is in the same location. Please ignore the red crosshairs... that's the address marker on the satellite image I used.

I hope this helps, Ivan! Sam & I had a great time bouncing ideas off each other & figuring this out, and I really loved reading all about the property and the owners. :D
Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Thanks a bunch, RG!! You and Sam are geniuses! :D Now it makes sense. So basically that property that is closest to Diamond Head Rd. did not exist then and in its place (or slightly to the side of it) stood the garage with the dark brown pitched roof, and if that's the case then it makes perfect sense that TM would drive through the second gate and make a turn right (with nothing in the way since the current house was not there then) and then park in front of the garage. Then walk along the path towards Lisa's house ("Haumalu"). Perfect! Now I can sleep soundly. :)

Also I had no idea about the historical aerial website. That's a great resource! Now I can look up a few of the old Five-O locations that have since changed and that have been vexing me. As I said I just got back from O'ahu so all this is still fresh on my mind. :)

Thanks also to that other link (historical houses) I just found a house ("Kuali'i") that was featured on Five-O and now I know where it's located. In fact I drove past it without even realizing it. Again you guys are awesome! Thanks!! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Thanks a bunch, RG!! You and Sam are geniuses! :D Now it makes sense. So basically that property that is closest to Diamond Head Rd. did not exist then and in its place (or slightly to the side of it) stood the garage with the dark brown pitched roof, and if that's the case then it makes perfect sense that TM would drive through the second gate and make a turn right (with nothing in the way since the current house was not there then) and then park in front of the garage. Then walk along the path towards Lisa's house ("Haumalu"). Perfect! Now I can sleep soundly. :)

Also I had no idea about the historical aerial website. That's a great resource! Now I can look up a few of the old Five-O locations that have since changed and that have been vexing me. As I said I just got back from O'ahu so all this is still fresh on my mind. :)

Thanks also to that other link (historical houses) I just found a house ("Kuali'i") that was featured on Five-O and now I know where it's located. In fact I drove past it without even realizing it. Again you guys are awesome! Thanks!! :D
Exactly, Ivan! :D

By the way, the historic aerials website is SO useful and I use is all the time for research about Hawaii. I also have subscriptions to both newspapers.com and ancestry, so I was able to learn so much more about the property and the owners. I even learned that Mrs. Alexander's home on the mainland (after Mr. Alexander passed) was just a stone's throw from my husband's childhood home. Small world. Almost forgot... the Honolulu County (Oahu) property records are invaluable: http://qpublic9.qpublic.net/hi_honolulu_search.php

If you ever need help on H50 locations I would suggest you first ask Sam because he is the absolute EXPERT on that, and if you guys need additional research I'd be happy to see what I can dig up with my subscriptions. :D

Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Thanks a bunch, RG!! You and Sam are geniuses! :D Now it makes sense. So basically that property that is closest to Diamond Head Rd. did not exist then and in its place (or slightly to the side of it) stood the garage with the dark brown pitched roof, and if that's the case then it makes perfect sense that TM would drive through the second gate and make a turn right (with nothing in the way since the current house was not there then) and then park in front of the garage. Then walk along the path towards Lisa's house ("Haumalu"). Perfect! Now I can sleep soundly. :)

Exactly, Ivan! :D

By the way, the historic aerials website is SO useful and I use is all the time for research about Hawaii. I also have subscriptions to both newspapers.com and ancestry, so I was able to learn so much more about the property and the owners. I even learned that Mrs. Alexander's home on the mainland (after Mr. Alexander passed) was just a stone's throw from my husband's childhood home. Small world. Almost forgot... the Honolulu County (Oahu) property records are invaluable: http://qpublic9.qpublic.net/hi_honolulu_search.php

If you ever need help on H50 locations I would suggest you first ask Sam because he is the absolute EXPERT on that, and if you guys need additional research I'd be happy to see what I can dig up with my subscriptions. :D
Thanks, RG! Much appreciated :)

#1 Buzzettes Fan
Lieutenant

#116 Post by #1 Buzzettes Fan »

This was a good solid episode. It feels like the introductions are over and we are settled in now. Well, except for the old theme song with it's jazzy riffs that I don't find appropriate.

I wanted to mention that the Paradise Found company name was also a title Magnum was thinking of using in The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company for his own venture. It is also the brand name of the Hawaiian shirts used in the show.

RIP to Robert Van Der Kar.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#117 Post by T.Q. »

Back on track.

Not one of my favourite episodes.

Erin’s over-the-top acting scenes in the episode have always been cringeworthy to me. I FFW them now.

Very simple, yet deep, ending about Vietnam flashbacks was always very memorable.

The 80s must have been more challenging to returning soldiers who felt it wasn’t manly to talk about their difficulties.

Always love the skeet shooting scene. Of course.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by K Hale »

T.Q. wrote:The 80s must have been more challenging to returning soldiers who felt it wasn’t manly to talk about their difficulties.
An unfortunate societal problem also seen in “Pleasure Principle.” It’s no wonder men commit suicide at a rate three times that of women. Things have started to improve but we still have a very long way to go to destigmatize mental health issues.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#119 Post by T.Q. »

K Hale wrote:
T.Q. wrote:The 80s must have been more challenging to returning soldiers who felt it wasn’t manly to talk about their difficulties.
An unfortunate societal problem also seen in “Pleasure Principle.” It’s no wonder men commit suicide at a rate three times that of women. Things have started to improve but we still have a very long way to go to destigmatize mental health issues.
Yes. Seems there’s an attack on masculinity these days... but glad there have been steps in putting aside the “man up” stuff when it comes to mental and emotional pain and more encouragement to get men to open up about their issues instead of suppressing them.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#120 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

T.Q. wrote:Always love the skeet shooting scene. Of course.
Whenever I hear about skeet shooting, I always think of "skeet surfin'".

youtu.be/af9N7UhTMA8

"Got a gun rack in my Chevy... for when the surf and the flak get heavy..."

T.Q. wrote:Yes. Seems there’s an attack on masculinity these days...
Yes, especially when they keep adding the word "toxic" in front of "masculinity".