Episode ratings.

Comments, questions, suggestions, criticism... anything at all about the website. This is also the place for member introductions

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#16 Post by Shermy »

I like the rating legend you've added (ie. "Not So Good"; etc), which goes a long way towards separating a 7 from an 8. After all, when you're trying to rate a hundred items like this, you can quickly find yourself just handing out numbers at random. It's looking good, though. It'll be cool to comment on episodes as we revisit them on dvd.

Incidentally, I knew I had seen this system used somewhere. I finally remembered this Twilight Zone site:

http://twilightzonewor.9.forumer.com/in ... howforum=4

This may be helpful in seeing this approach in action, or whether or not it's something worth pursuing.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool, thanks Shermy!
Shermy wrote:It'll be cool to comment on episodes as we revisit them on dvd.
Yeah, exactly. It's orderly and efficient. And like you said, the threads can lie dormant (for years maybe) and then one day someone will say, "Hey, I'd like to write something about Wave Goodbye". And there they will find it, in it's proper place. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Waltstasz
Admiral

#18 Post by Waltstasz »

Nice work! I think you took the best approach possible. Now I just have to start voting!! :shock:
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#19 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks Walt!

Just make sure you're clicking on the right button. You only get one vote per episode! Pressure, pressure. ;)

One thing I just noticed, which is annoying -- There is no way to "lock" the threads in place, even for "sticky" threads. A thread reply will always shoot to the top of the forum. I was hoping to be able to keep the episodes in sequential order, but there is no way to control that. No real biggie, though.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#20 Post by Shermy »

If possible, you might want to lock the sub-boards, so that no new threads can be started in them. Otherwise, people might start posting general questions in the middle of all the episodes.

And how do you think Higgins would react to that?! :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shermy wrote:If possible, you might want to lock the sub-boards, so that no new threads can be started in them. Otherwise, people might start posting general questions in the middle of all the episodes.
They should already be setup like that -- No 'New' posts allowed, only replies.

Actually, can you test that out for me Sherm? The rule doesn't apply to Mods or Admins.

Thanks

grundle
Admiral

#22 Post by grundle »

I rated all the episodes from the first 2 seasons.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#23 Post by Shermy »

James J. Walters wrote:They should already be setup like that -- No 'New' posts allowed, only replies.
You're right, it's already done. (If you try to create a new thread, it informs you that only Moderators can do so.)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Cool, thanks grundle and Shermy. I appreciate it!

I've made one additional change to the 'Episodes' forum threads. I changed the OP text for all episode threads to this:
This is the official MM thread for Episode Name ([episode number]). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread will also be directly linked in the episode page, in the Episode Guide.

Note: No 'new' threads are allowed in the 'Episodes' forums -- only 'replies' to the existing episode threads are allowed.

Thanks!
:idea:

I'm gonna add a section to each episode in the Episode Guide, which, in addition to the new 'Episode Community Rating', will also have a link-back to the corresponding episode thread in the MM forums.

I'm also gonna remove the lame 'Mini Reviews' that I did for several episodes in the Episode Guide and post them in the MM Episode Forum, instead.

This works out great, because I really wanted the Episode Guide to be as neutral as possible (with minor 'personal' touches here and there). This, and the upcoming 'Episode Community Rating', will also make the Guide have a real sense of community and collaboration, which I think is just really, really cool!

Don't ya just love how I'm making this up as I go along ... real professional, huh! :roll:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Final update:

The episode community rating & feeback system is complete!

Each episode in the Episode Guide has been updated with a 'community rating' and a link-back to the forum episode page & poll. I've also added borders to the rating in the guide.

So far, for Seasons 1-6 each episode has 3 or 4 votes (some have 5). The ratings are rounded up/down to .5 increments. Seasons 7-8 have no votes yet and will retain their 'default' rating (i.e. my initial rating) until at least two votes appear in the poll. I won't register my "official" vote until I watch the episodes again on DVD. ;)

Not a bad start. As we get more votes, I'll update the pages accordingly. Also, I've updated 'Top 40 Episodes' page with the new results -- a couple of episodes climbed in, a couple jumped out, many position changes. And I temporarily dropped the 'Bottom of the Barrel' page. Community votes so far bumped up all four entries I had in there - Murder 101, Mixed Doubles, Adelaide & The Taking of Dick McWilliams. Gonna have to wait until more votes are in before a general consensus can be reached as to which episodes are the clear stinkers. ;)

Thanks again to all!