Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#106 Post by Sam »

Good job as usual RC,

I'm just now checking out the new version,nice additions.

I noticed the Surfrider and the beach scenes are just a short way from the Lost camp.

This well keep me busy for some time..Thanks you for the update.

Say..................When can we expect the release of 1.5. :) :)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#107 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks guys, I hope you enjoy it. (And I hope more than three people are looking at the new locations! :) )

J.J. Walters wrote:- "Surfrider Club" (from "Wave Goodbye"). Any idea what this building is? It's in a completely isolated spot on the North Shore. I assume it's private property.
Actually it's Bishop Estate land. It's mostly used by the police for recreation (and was used for Lost filming too as Sam mentioned). Aerial photos show the building was built between 1971 and 1975, and 1975 is when the police started using the land. The building may be used by the police as a shelter house, like the kind of recreational house found in parks. Or it could be used for storage by the police / fire department, they seem to park firetrucks next to it (seen here). Or it may not be used at all anymore. It might not be in the best condition. This is all conjecture though.
J.J. Walters wrote:- Boyhood home of Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV (from "Going Home")! Seriously, how in the world did you find this?? It's in the middle of a giant sea of houses!
Rick Romer was nice enough to mention that the house was in Manoa, although I had a suspicion that there was a good chance it was in that valley. It feels like a Manoa / College Hills type home, and in the show there are glimpses of the ridges on either side of the house. Aside from that, it's just a bit of searching. :)

Sam wrote:Say..................When can we expect the release of 1.5. :) :)
I'm not sure yet. Sometime in the future I'll name a date, and at that point I suggest you add three to six months. :P

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by Steve »

Much to my wife's dismay, I can get lost looking up different locations for hours. Absolutely top notch work RC! I just wish the "Day N' Dark" was still a convenience store as I always wanted to walk into the place on my next trip and ask for a pickled egg......Alas, I don't think the folks at the clinic or whatever is in the building now would enjoys the joke............

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#109 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Awesome update. Impressive as always.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#110 Post by rubber chicken »

Thanks, I appreciate your comments!

I was also disappointed that the "Day N' Dark" has changed. Much in Magnum's world is different now, but fortunately many places also appear much as they did at the time. The Safeway in Hawaii Kai is one example. I wonder if they carry pickled eggs... ;) It was be a trip if a Magnum fan went there, asked for a pickled egg, and they acted perfectly normal and fished one out of a nearby jar! It still wouldn't be quite the same though. :?

KMunroe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#111 Post by KMunroe »

Fantastic guide! I'm a filming location hunter myself, and really appreciate all the work that went into this.

I run a site called the Townsend Agency, which is like the you guys of Charlie's Angels. One major feature of my site is filming locations, and as you know, CA did several episodes in Hawaii. How lucky that most shows eventually visit Hawaii and end up using many of the same locations! I've tracked things from CA to the Rockford Files to Magnum and your site has been really helpful in nailing down a couple of locations (like Sunhala, which was used as the Angels' office in every HI episode!)

I was wondering if some observant folks here might be willing to help me out, and see if you recognize a location or two from Magnum? (And if you have any desire for CA screenshots of your Magnum locations, I'd be glad to share some.)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#112 Post by Pahonu »

Nice site!

I noticed in the location guide the Malibu Creek State Park is listed. They also filmed an episode at the Malibu Lagoon State Park on Pacific Coast Highway. Specifically it was at the historic Adamson House located on the property. Unfortunately, I don't remember the episode, but I recognized clearly the entrance courtyard to the estate. It has a white wall surrounding the courtyard with stone pavers set irregularly in the grass. The entrance has a large tower with bottle-glass windows next to the front door. I have provided a link to their website. Maybe you will recognize the scene and episode.

http://www.adamsonhouse.org/

http://www.adamsonhouse.org/Tour/Exteri ... front.html

KMunroe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#113 Post by KMunroe »

Hey, thanks! That's actually one I've been looking for.

And funny you replied, since a question I wanted to ask was about Pahonu. I see on the MM! page for the estate, it's listed as appearing in an episode of CA called Island Angels. I'm looking through that episode right now, and (though I'm no expert) I'm not convinced that's it. But, it must be on the page for a reason.. know anything about this?

These are some screens of the location used in Island Angels. I'm wondering if it's the Kahala Hilton since there's a golf course nearby, but it's been so remodeled that I'm not sure what to think, and was hoping to defer to some expert here.

Aerial - Entrance - Bar - Pool - Interior - Interior

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by Sam »

Welcome aboard KMunroe.

I'm pretty sure that your pics are from the "Turtle Bay Resort"

http://www.turtlebayresort.com/

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#115 Post by Pahonu »

KMunroe wrote:I see on the MM! page for the estate, it's listed as appearing in an episode of CA called Island Angels. I'm looking through that episode right now, and (though I'm no expert) I'm not convinced that's it. But, it must be on the page for a reason.. know anything about this?
I've honestly never seen that episode before, so I couldn't say. There ar many photos of the estate on the website, and it has a very distinct look, at least for Hawaii. It is Spanish Colonial Revival architecture which is quite uncommon in the islands. Further, the characteristic terracotta tile roof is black, which is even more unusual. I'm sure you could recognize it if you saw it.

I don't know who posted that information originally, but we have been known to be wrong. It is a constant process of uncovering the details about these programs. I chose Pahonu as amy screen name because I am creating a 3D model of the estate which cab be viewed by downloading the free Google Sketchup program online and contacting James, the site admistrator, for a copy of the model. It is a work in progress.

Glad I could help you identify a location. It's not my strong suit really.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#116 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hello KMunroe, welcome! Love your Charlie's Angels website! Another iconic television show! :)

Thanks for the kind words about rubber chicken's MPI filming location guide! I know he appreciates it!
KMunroe wrote:Hey, thanks! That's actually one I've been looking for.

And funny you replied, since a question I wanted to ask was about Pahonu. I see on the MM! page for the estate, it's listed as appearing in an episode of CA called Island Angels. I'm looking through that episode right now, and (though I'm no expert) I'm not convinced that's it. But, it must be on the page for a reason.. know anything about this?
I may have been wrong about the "Island Angels" episode. I can't seem to find anything in my emails (or in this forum) about it. I can't even remember how or why it's there! Maybe I'm mixing it up with one of the other Hawaiian Angels episodes? "Waikiki Angels", "Angels of the Deep", "Hula Angels", "To See an Angel Die", perhaps? Do you recall seeing the Estate ("Pahonu") in any of these episodes?

In any event, I've removed the reference from the page pending further evidence. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#117 Post by rubber chicken »

Hi there KMunroe, it's been a few days since I've visited the forums, so I'm responding a bit late... That's a fantastic site you've created. I admire the quality and attention to detail, and can appreciate the amount of work that has gone into it!

I'm looking forward to seeing your Charlie's Angels google earth guide when I can find the time (probably this weekend).

I agree with Sam that the location you provided screencaps of is the Turtle Bay Resort. Compare this with the aerial, this with the bar and pool caps, and the hexagonal pool-house type structure is seen in that link and also in google maps and bing maps to the left of the pool. The interiors are harder to confirm, but this shows large circular columns similar to the ones in the interior caps. There must be more photos of the interior on the web, but anyway it's likely that they shot it all at the same place. (But I haven't seen the episode...)

As James has listed on the On Location page, the Turtle Bay Resort was used in two Magnum P.I. episodes (that I haven't added to the guide yet). The pool area is seen at about 27:11 in From Moscow to Maui and possibly the same front entrance is seen at 21:38 in Mixed Doubles.

If you'd like to give us a shot at identifying more Oahu locations, you could maybe make a new thread in the Other TV Shows forum and post some more photos or link to them on your site. :)

KMunroe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#118 Post by KMunroe »

Wow, I hoped you guys would be helpful, but dang! You certainly know your stuff. I really appreciate your quick help, kind comments and warm welcome. What a great forum. Thank you all, and I'll be sure to credit you on my site when I add these locations.

J.J. - I just did a quick check, and I don't think I recognize Pahonu anywhere on CA. Maybe it's possible that you meant Sunhala, which appears in all 6 Hawaiian episodes and bears a little similarity to Pahonu's courtyard area?

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#119 Post by Mavrick »

Ok not to shift gears here too much I don"t know much about Locations and stuff But I do live in the Norfolk Va Tidewater area and if you guys want I can go out and get some Pictures and other stuff if want me two But I don"t know if you guys would like to se stuff like that or not but if you do let me know what you would like to see and I will try and find those locations for ya
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#120 Post by rubber chicken »

I haven't searched for any of those locations, but you're welcome to do your own searching Mavrick.