Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mano
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#61 Post by Mano »

You could be correct, you have certainly done alot of research. I took a few days off work and drove all around those areas on my dirt bike, I initially thought of Koko Head, but did not find the road you are talking about. If you can tell me how to get to it I will check it out when I return from Iraq this summer.

I found the road to the nike missle site and followed it for a ways (I know I shouldn't have, but hey Magnum would of.) In one section the road looked exactly like screen shot 5 and 6. I did not have my camera. I have tried to climb up to the site twice "the legal way" via the ridge trail above Sea Life Park, but started to late once and was rained out the
next. Perhaps I will try again.

One of the fun things about watching Magnum is figuring out where he is.As you know it often does not make sence. I've been in Hawaii for 22 years, it is amazing how much it has changed. It is possible that they used shots from Koko head and the access road. Based on my visual recon I still think that I found the correct place, however you have put enough doubt in my mind that more research is needed,

Thanks for your help. This is fun stuff

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#62 Post by rubber chicken »

I'd love to see any results of your real life investigation, it still could be the Kamehame ridge road. Probably the best thing to look for would be fence, although that could have been replaced with a new one. Also, to the upper left of the left end of the fence there appears to be one or two antennas (I think that's what they are) sticking up over the next small ridge. I'm thinking that those are on the building seen here, which appears to be in the approximately correct location for them to be in. The camera does seem to be about 15 feet or more in the air, so that could complicate trying to match up the view on foot or bike.

To get to it, it looks like if you're going east on Kalanianole Highway (72) and turn right into the Hanuma Bay entrance road, the Koko Head access road is an immediate sharp right turn. Here's the three roads in google maps satellite view, with the access road being the narrow one in between 72 & Hanauma Bay Rd. This access road also appears to be gated, like you mentioned for the Kamehame access road, but it is used as a hiking trail.

Below is a better quality screencapture, and another screencapture from Google Earth of what I'm thinking is the same approximate view. Again, I'd love to hear of anything more you find out.

Image Image

You mentioned the locations often not making sense... one of my favorites is The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii. Magnum and the girl are being chased on foot through the banana fields, and then they escape and come out right above TC's Island Hopper's pier, just a thin section between the cliff and the highway! And it's about 10 miles from where they were in real life. But it worked fine on screen, and that's what's important. :)
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mano
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#63 Post by Mano »

Thanks for the information, I didn't know that there was a paved road there. I tried to find an access to that ridge from the Poipu side, but didn't find one. I'll take pictures next time!

Lt. Dupree
Lieutenant

#64 Post by Lt. Dupree »

Have driven on that road for "Higgens" (double) and second unit. Pretty sure that RC is correct. The only other road it could be is the one for the s'east lighthouse.. But that does not fit. However, the terrain and picture fits RC's designation.

The area is near Hanuama Bay. The area was also close enough to the studio and light on traffic. Most of the tourism is dedicated to promoting Waikiki and/or the North Shore -- even though Sandy Beach and Hanauma get a great deal of visitors. So, the Hanauma/Sandy/Koko Head area made economic sense.

There was a day we used the area. I put on a grey sports jacket, a moustache, slick-back hair, and hopped into a Jag. Bruce Shirley (second unit) directed me: "Ok Andy. Drive down the hill...no no no!!! Don't put on the brakes (to avoid the crossing mongoose). Ok cut. Let's shoot that again..."

Lt. Dupree
Lieutenant

#65 Post by Lt. Dupree »

BTW, I also taught summer Phy Sci in 86-87 around the corner at Kaiser (as in hospitals, shipbuilding, etc.) High School. RC has terrific geo skills. He knows the streets, turn-offs, and highways well.

'Blow hole' is another nearby attraction. Blow hole is kinda tourist/X-gen spot where the underwater levels rise rapidly through a peep hole atop some lava, thereby producing a whale-like spurt of ocean water. Some people like to experiment by challenging the tides and waves via an entry point and exiting below. I only recommend this for the 'Evil Knievel' types.

Also, nearby is the Koko Head Shopping Center. There you can find a Hawaii local food mart called 'Foodland'. It was one of the more expensive food stores. Zippy's serves chilli and 'loco moco' -- a sort of hamburger patty with gravy combo (eggs, rice, etc.) The dish makes the term 'cholesterol' look like a fresh fruit basket.

I think Shirley was onset one day at Sandy's -- in that leopard bikini. What is she doing nowadays?

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#66 Post by Operation Chessboard »

I just wanted to thank Rubber Chicken for all of his effforts in this endeavor. I finally downloaded Google Earth this past weekend and was able to view RC's project. Quite simply, it is awesome! And I don't use that word lightly. Outstanding job, RC. I'll be traveling to Oahu in 2010 and will use your Magnum locations file as a blueprint to plan my vacation around. This is very impressive stuff. Thanks again!

TankTop44
Commander

#67 Post by TankTop44 »

Wow, what impressive work. I am trying to go through all of the listing and put some on a map I have. I may hang the map at work with my favorite locations and poi!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Sam »

A bump for the new folks.Welcome aboard.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Sam »

Bump

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Sam »

Bump

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Sam »

Bump bump bump and a bump.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#72 Post by rubber chicken »

Rubber Chicken Guide to Magnum P.I. Filming Locations, version 1.3

Well the new version of the the location guide is finally finished, and it's just in time too, because I've exhausted my entire repertoire of excuses. First I want to apologize for the number of times I said this new version would be out soon, only to find out later that I was a no good liar. The problem was that each time I said it would be done I would go to finish the one particular placemark that was holding everything up - The Alexander Estate - and in working on it I'd discover new leads that needed to be followed up on, and new details that needed to be double checked, and so on and so forth. I was continually nearing the finish but it kept moving further away. It was very discouraging, and I'd often find myself moving on to an easier placemark or doing something else entirely.

But the good thing about my taking so long to update, is that there are 62 new placemarks in this version. That's far more than has been in any previous update, and it now brings the total placemark count to nearly 450. There have also been a number of smaller details added that are listed below. There's still no shortage of places I know of that need to be added. I hope to update in a more timely fashion in the future with a smaller number of new placemarks.

In this update there's two new general locations that I've found very interesting. The first is the Alexander Estate, made up of two neighboring beachside homes located below Diamond Head. For 50 years (1936 to 1986) they were a contiguous property and owned by the same family. And as you can see below, the homes appeared in at least six episodes, which puts the Alexander Estate behind only the Walker Estate in the number of times it was used to depict character's homes. Even more fascinating are the two placemarks located on Ford Island, including the incredibly historic (and now demolished) Hangar 6, believed to have been the oldest aircraft hangar in Hawaii, built in 1922. It was heavily damaged on December 7th, 1941, but was soon repaired and served an important role in WWII. Much more information in the placemarks.

Hope everyone enjoys the new locations! Here's what's new:

Added Placemarks

Alexander Estate: Lanihau & Haumalu -- (located in the "Secondary Locations" folder)
1.6 - David Norman & Erin Wolfe
2.3 - Lisa Page
3.7 - Marion (& Taft) Danforth (1936), Drew Danforth (1982)
7.21 - Icepick
8.5 - Icepick
8.5 - William & Victoria Keyes (2)
8.10 - Connie Northrop

1.4 - Mano
1.10 - Diane Pauley -- (Walker Estate)
1.10 - driving Kiki home
1.11 - CITY AND COUNTY MORGUE
1.11 - "I'm looking for a man named Makua."
1.11 - "Honolulu General" - Rick is really sick.
1.12 - "... I ain't lookin' for no more brothers."
1.12 - "Sir, he's gone underneath us." (pov)
1.12 - TC drops off Joey Santino
1.12 - "... an instant replay of our first meeting in Saigon."
1.12 - T.C.'s bird on the chopping block -- (Ford Island!)
1.12 - drug smugglers apprehended -- (historic Hangar 6, Ford Island!)
1.16 - "... I took it. And I'm ashamed."
1.18 - camera panning SE to NW
1.18 - Magnum crossing bridge with Waimea Falls in background
2.8 - "... even if you didn't kill her, I hate dealers."
2.17 - Jack Metro (the Sandal King)
2.17 - Eleanor Greeley (possible location)
3.1 - "Lieutenant MacReynolds reporting as ordered, sir."
3.2 - "There's a tan sedan following us."
3.2 - Ivan leaves Bulgarian Consulate
3.2 - "The military flew T.C. to Walter Reed..."
3.7 - funeral of Taft Danforth
3.7 - "One wretchedly impoverished outfit."
3.9 - Phil Lewis, Tri-Island Insurance
3.10 - chasing attempted hit and run driver
3.15 - driving Willie home
3.15 - fictional home of Theresa "Willie" Henderson
3.15 - foster home of Theresa "Willie" Henderson
3.15 - "That's all I got. Books and basketball."
3.19 - Margaret Chase (check overlay box)
3.23 - Dunguaire Castle (establishing shot)
4.18 - RIP Sir Alec Ramsey, knighted veteran of Her Majesty's Service
4.19 - "... a fencing operation in a warehouse on Kaliawa..."
4.19 - office of Carol Baldwin
4.19 - Emily Jackson
5.3 - Magnum spots Mac
5.7 - testifying in court
5.20 - Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, Carol Baldwin, 301
6.2 - driving past Sir Winston Churchill
6.4 - Sam & Lauren Henderson
6.14 - gazebo at Agatha Chumley's home
7.3 - (Jack, &) Mrs. Wilkins
7.3 - "Century Motel. Room 12." (Jack Wilkins)
7.5 - "We're talking about a human life here."
7.6 - reporter questioned, body found
7.6 - Milton "The Ripper" Collins
7.10 - "Kapu. The forbidden island."
7.10 - Higgins stands in for Agatha as tour guide at "the museum"
7.10 - the cove away from the village
7.11 - Evelyn Perry, cousin of Tina Calvin
7.18 - "She was my granddaughter!"
7.18 - Laura Doheny O'Hara - born June 14, 1979, died December 29, 1986
8.5 - William & Victoria Keyes (1)

Corrected & Completed
5.7 - Ann Carrington (check overlay box)

Notable Placemark Updates
Many links have been added concerning (real life) Gensiro Kawamoto, the Japanese real estate investor billionaire. They can be found in the second link section of three placemarks (all located at the same house):
6.4 - Sam & Lauren Henderson
7.9, 2 - Arthur Houston
7.17 - John Costa (& Linda Lee Ellison)

2.20 - Edward Kanfer, 1947 - 1971 & 2.20 - Taylor Hurst, 1942 - 1982 -- added "a page about a visit to the cemetery" link
5.2 - Agatha Chumley, & 8.5 - Queen Emma Summer Palace -- added 1929 aerial photo of Nuuanu Valley link

7.20 - Aunt Sullivan turns wrong way into alleyway -- added Lost Virtual Tour link
6.17 - Driscoll gets away -- added photo link and Lost Virtual Tour link
6.17 - "Mokupuni Hotel" -- added Lost link

added to Library of Congress links to:
2.6 - meeting with Colonel Buck Greene on Falls of Clyde
3.8 - "... one of the most prestigious public schools in all of England." -- [--> the "Bishop Hall" link]
3.11 - USS Arizona Memorial
5.1 & 5.2 - Diane & Diedre Dupres (sharon stone)
6.19 - The Palace of King Fernando Mongueo
8.5 - Queen Emma Summer Palace
2.13 (The South of France) & 6.19 (Palace of King) -- [--> in the "to be organized" folder]
3.5 - beach Pillbox

Here's the new .kmz file: Magnum P.I. locations 1.3.kmz

For those who haven't used a .kmz file before, refer to either the instructions in the page which James has made, or in my original post.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#73 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, what an update rubber chicken! 62 new placemarks!? Incredible! :)

Thank you for persevering through the difficult ones. Your attention to detail and the quality of your writing and research is highly admirable. It truly is amazing what you've been able to put together with this project. It's a work of art!

I'm going to need a couple more days to go through all this new info! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

PhatCat
Admiral

#74 Post by PhatCat »

An amazing resource! Thanks for all your hard work, RC.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#75 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

RC is better than GPS!