Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Magnum P.I. Filming Locations - A Rubber Chicken Guide

#166 Post by KENJI »

RC will be happy with that find RG!
Where the heck did you dig up the great pics of Tom?
Those need to go in the Behind the Scenes Pics Section! Any chance JJ? :D

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#167 Post by Sam »

Way to go Rubber Girl.. I looked and looked and could never even come close.I agree with Kenji and also to round it out it needs to be added to the episode guide..

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#168 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Thanks Levidale (welcome, by the way! :D ), Kenji & Sam (haha, "Rubber Girl" :lol: ). Kenji, I just found them from goofing around on the Internet. I just pm'ed JJ in case he doesn't read this.

On a side note, I also noticed that RC's guide's pics are no longer working. I don't know if they're actually linked to MM and the link is "broken" or if RC has them hosted elsewhere?

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#169 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Great detective work RG!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#170 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Styles Bitchley wrote:Great detective work RG!
Thanks, Styles! It was great fun! :D

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#171 Post by KENJI »

I propose that RG and Pahonu receive their own titles before posting 1,000 replies - always thought that should be the mark for your own title! Anyways there have be a few people who have gone out of their way to add some incredible content to our site, who have received a title before that mark such as Marlboro - The Baron of GIFs, Rubber Chicken - Master Location Sleuth just to name a few and I think RG and Pahonu easily fit in this category. Pahonu's SketchUps are mind blowing :shock: and RG continues to amazes us with what she discovers. :luther:
I'm sure everyone will agree, no question! What do you say JJ? Pahonu's title should be something like MM's Resident Architect and RG's MM Super Sleuth. Anyone else have a few suggestions? Hey, RG and Pahonu, what do you two want for titles(assuming JJ gives it the green light)? :wink: :D

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#172 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:I propose that RG and Pahonu receive their own titles before posting 1,000 replies - always thought that should be the mark for your own title! Anyways there have be a few people who have gone out of their way to add some incredible content to our site, who have received a title before that mark such as Marlboro - The Baron of GIFs, Rubber Chicken - Master Location Sleuth just to name a few and I think RG and Pahonu easily fit in this category. Pahonu's SketchUps are mind blowing :shock: and RG continues to amazes us with what she discovers. :luther:
I'm sure everyone will agree, no question! What do you say JJ? Pahonu's title should be something like MM's Resident Architect and RG's MM Super Sleuth. Anyone else have a few suggestions? Hey, RG and Pahonu, what do you two want for titles(assuming JJ gives it the green light)? :wink: :D
Thanks Kenji! Sounds great to me. :D

RG's a total super sleuth!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#173 Post by erock308 »

WOW! Great Pics!
Levidale wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Here's a newly discovered filming location as well as some on-set pics for TC's "12th Avenue Clubhouse" from "A Little Bit of Luck... A Little Bit of Grief". It's currently a strip mall but back then it was an empty lot, and the clubhouse was located just behind where the Snow Factory frozen dessert shop is today here...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Snow+ ... 57.8331874

If you google street view the location, you can see the house behind the clubhouse which is still there but the decorative brown detail on the house is now painted white.

Side view of the house behind the clubhouse, then...

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!
And front & side view now...

The apartment buildings across the street are still there, and that's the Century Center Condominium building in the distance.

Then...

And now...

Other on-set pics...

Thanks to Sam for the suggestion to try to find it. If there are other locations that R.C. hasn't found please let me know and I'd love to give it a shot. :D
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#174 Post by K Hale »

Is it possible to get this file onto my phone? I have the Google Earth app, but clicking on the file link on my phone, it tells me it can’t be downloaded.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#175 Post by rubber chicken »

Hi folks, a number of people have brought up the fact that the photos in the guide stopped working some time ago. This happened because the server the photos were hosted on went away. The good news is that the folks at Magnum Mania are now hosting the photos on the Magnum Mania server. This means the photos will now survive as long as this website does.

After the previous server went away I went through the long process of changing the url for each photo in the guide, and they've been working since then, but only for me since I was the one person who had the up to date google earth .kmz file. This happened long enough ago that I can't remember when it was. Perhaps last year or the year before. After that was completed I intended to finish a number of individual locations that I had left uncompleted for years. But that hasn't happened, so I'm going to release this version of the guide as is, with one location in visible progress. Many other locations were being worked on in a code editor but hadn't made it into the guide in any form yet. There are however 32 new locations that I believe are in the completed state as I intended.

Other than updating the photo links, I haven't worked on the guide in years, so I'm not 100% certain of the state of things. But I think things should be in order.

Here are some of the notes I kept, showing what's new in this version:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Added Placemarks (between 12-28-2010 & now ) - (version 1.6)
total of 33 new placemarks

In progress:
1.10_23.42 Wiki-Wiki Club knife fight

COMPLETED:
1.3 - Treasures of the Dove
1.6 - campsite of Erin Wolfe
1.15 - Fat Jack's, American Meals
1.16 - Magnum on guard, expecting an attack.
2.15 - Ferrari repair shop
2.16 - "I'd give just about anything to ride in one."
2.22 - City & County Police Dept. Impound Yard
3.11 - "dump" motel of Bridget Archer
3.11 - five minutes with Admiral Wheeler
3.18 - Enoka for Senate
3.18 - Oppenheimer Regal Tribolt lock
3.19 - "I've never hit a woman before."
3.19 - Rose's Cut Rate Warehouse
3.19 - driving away from Rose's
3.23 - disembarking Windsor Tours bus
3.23 - "Boxing, Ryans Gym, 2nd floor"
5.3 - "I'm looking for Lt. Cmdr. Hiller"
5.6 - Archie's Auto Sales, Used Cars
5.13 - Sally Ponting left standing at the altar
5.18 - Desmond & Laurie Crane
6.3 - Magnum and Goldie Morris driving
6.3 - Wailele Hotel: Goldie Morris, & also Mr. Wanda
6.6 - Sammy Garns and family
7.4 - Island Breeze warehouse, janitorial supplies
7.22 - Magnum hit in warehouse shootout
8.1 - showdown with Quang Ki
8.1 - "I can't go home, mom."
8.1 - Veterans Rehabilitation Hospital of the Pacific (entrance)
8.1 - VRHP, waiting room
8.1 - VRHP, basketball court
8.1 - VRHP, Magnum's room
8.1 - VRHP, exercise room

Added Wallace Alexander photo links to:
Alexander Estate: Lanihau & Haumalu
(This placemark is located in the "Secondary Locations" folder in google earth. For the update look for the paragraph with the red "Update" below the photos on the webpage linked in the placemark.)

Added "historic photo" links to:
2.15 - Crouching Lion Inn
3.12 - Castle Memorial Hospital
5.8 - Magnum speaks with Mr. Gaylord
6.17 - Rick & TC arrive to visit Magnum

Added four links concerning Genshiro Kawamoto to these three placemarks:
6.4 - Sam & Lauren Henderson
7.9, 2 - Arthur Houston
7.17 - John Costa (& Linda Lee Ellison)

Changed "6.3 - hotel of Goldie Morris, and also Mr. Wanda" to "6.3 - Wailele Hotel: Goldie Morris, & also Mr. Wanda (establishing shot)" and added "6.3 - Wailele Hotel: Goldie Morris, & also Mr. Wanda" to split the establishing shot from the actual location where the Magnum and Goldie scenes took place.

1.11 - "I'm looking for a man named Makua."
Added "Edit: More Information"… link to forum post concerning the store.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the new .kmz file: Magnum P.I. locations 1.6.kmz

For those who haven't used a .kmz file before, refer to either the instructions in the page which James has made, or in my original post.

If someone could please change the 1.5 link to the new 1.6 link on the guide page, I would very much appreciate it! (I haven't been around enough to know who is doing this sort of thing nowadays.)

K Hale - I don't know the answer to your question regarding getting the file onto a phone, as I've never tried that. I know it worked for me on an iPad. Anyone else know the answer to this question?
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#176 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

WOO HOO!!! Yay, RC! Thank you so much for fixing the links, and for all the new locations! Wow, I can't wait to dive in and see what you've found! :luther:

Glad to have you back on the boards too!!! :D

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#177 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:WOO HOO!!! Yay, RC! Thank you so much for fixing the links, and for all the new locations! Wow, I can't wait to dive in and see what you've found! :luther:

Glad to have you back on the boards too!!! :D
You found the Wiki-Wiki Club, RC! I spent hours & hours looking for that street, and even looked in Wahiawa. Ugh! :roll: Funny coincidence it was on Cane Street. And it was even the same shops from "The Black Orchid". Sheesh!

Question for you... do you also think the actual brothel buildings are located there? After Judge Caine & TM's conversation they turn left just past the crosswalk into the alley which I've circled below. But the brothel/apartment building and the identical one behind it appear quite long, and I'm thinking they wouldn't fit there in reality. Plus there's even another building behind the two brothel buildings in the episode. We also know the baseball field was there during filming. What do you think, RC?

Image[/img]

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#178 Post by rubber chicken »

Sorry for the delay... The brothel location for the placemark "1.10 - Wiki-Wiki Club knife fight" (that I placed here) I'm confident is very close to the exact location. I see that this is one of the placemarks that I wasn't completely finished with, and since I couldn't find a high quality aerial photo of the old buildings I might have placed it there temporarily. Since the field property line probably hasn't changed, the placemark should probably be moved to the left off the grass and onto the present day parking lot, and maybe north 20 yards.

Magnum turns left like your image shows, but then he turns right again down a second alley, which is the brothel alley, heading south south east along the west side of the field fence line. As you know the alley he turns left into was in the middle here, and the building on the left was in the show, although it has now lost most of its north side, and the entire second floor. The building seen to the right of the alley in the show no longer exists, and was replaced by the building seen in street view. The old buildings south of the first alley had a rear alley along the fence line, seen in the next three photos:

Image Image Image.

In The Black Orchid, Magnum and Louise DeBolt Jackson also take a left into the first alley. The background building in the previous three photos with its tiny vent window and sloped back roof is seen in these three photos:

Image Image Image.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#179 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Thanks for the detailed explanation & screen caps, RC! I forgot the right turn they take into the second alley, the Wiki-Wiki Club alley, so I thought you were indicating that perhaps the brothel buildings were perpendicular to Cane Street instead of parallel. As I'm sure you can attest, on Oahu typically the apartment buildings are constructed perpendicular to the street, and this is unusual to have them run parallel... that's why I thought you were saying they were in the location I circled. I'm guessing in Wahiawa, where space isn't an issue as in Honolulu, they could freely build them parallel to the street. Unfortunately when I was searching I didn't even consider looking at any building that wasn't perpendicular. :roll:

Yay, I love that you found it and thanks again, RC! :D

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#180 Post by Gorilla Mask »

oups ! Discovering this thread is both a bit it frustrating and really exciting !

I thought that the 1.5 version in the website was the last one, so, for myself, i was beginning to complete it with my little means…

… however, it is obvious that RC is far more qualified than a little frenchy that never been in Oahu ! (sob) :cry: :wink:

Thanks RC for discovering Wiki wiki club place ! i spent some hours trying locating it on the maps but all has changed so much in forty years...
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."