Misc. MPI Newspaper Articles

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Misc. MPI Newspaper Articles

#31 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Hi Rembrandt's Girl,
Thanks for sharing these articles. I wonder if anyone might explain Roger Mosley's remark that "there's nothing here for me as a black person".
Is it because there is racism directed at mainlanders of any background by native Hawaiians?
If Hawaiian tourists visited my state they wouldn't be greeted with disdain and rudeness merely because they were islanders.
More than a few times when I have speculated about visiting the islands people have urged me not to and related to me ugly stories of racist behavior directed at them.
Nor does the term "Haole" when hurled at a innocent tourist sound at all friendly to me.
I would never use such a demeaning term about my fellow Americans just because they happen to hail from the other 49 states. Sounds cowardly to boot to me, if you mean to insult a man do it plainly and not hide behind the local argot.
It doesn't make sense to me for a economy based so much on tourism to insult the punters providing one with a living.
However I have never been to the islands and would appreciate being clued in as to what the situation is. Perhaps Mosley is one of those people who feel ill at ease in different cultures(I on the other hand embrace them) and the fault lies in himself, not with the Hawaiians, thus he would have cheated himself of a worthwhile experience.
Hi Dobie!

I didn't get the feeling that Roger was referring to his treatment in Hawaii by locals. I don't know for sure of course, but my interpretation is that he was referring more to him being black in the tv/film industry. It also sounds like he was untrusting of why people were being kind to him...that they just wanted something from him. He also preferred to be at home with his family than in Hawaii. That's my take.

To answer your question about Hawaii and racism (I'm a haole), my experience has been 99.9% positive as a visitor to the islands of Oahu, Maui and Lanai. Most of the time as tourists we had interactions with people in the service industry and you're right...tourism is by far their number one economy, and they bend over backwards for the tourist. Nothing but fantastic treatment...over and above.

But on occasion we've had interactions with actual locals and again, very positive, friendly, and kind. They call it the "Aloha Spirit" there. You may've heard that no one honks their car horn in Hawaii...it's considered rude and just not done. When renting a house on one visit to the north shore of Oahu (which is pretty rural) the neighbors brought us mangoes off their tree and we had a nice long talk about how they bought their land and built their home there. One day we were driving by Pahonu so I made a brief visit to the tidal pool...you can't just drive by and not stop! Well, the tide was almost in so I dashed down for a quick fix, and a local (he looked a lot like Charlie from "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" :shock: ) was sitting near the parking lot and he saw me wade down there, and when I returned he smiled a huge grin at me and said, "Did you get your picture?" :D We sometimes strike up conversations with locals to learn more about life there and they're always so happy to talk to us, they're kind when we've had to ask directions, they're nice in line at the grocery store, etc. etc.

Have I ever felt unwelcome? We got stink-eye only twice in many visits to the Islands...both times when we were off the beaten path in very rural Maui. So it can happen. Some native Hawaiians don't like what has happened to Hawaii. They are unhappy that the white man took their land from them, and/or they don't like how tourism has changed Hawaii of yesteryear. For more background visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_ ... y_movement. If you lived there this movement will be in the news on occasion etc., but as a visitor you won't experience any evidence that it even exists.

I don't know what happened with your friends but from my experience, I would strongly encourage you to go and please don't let this concern dissuade you from visiting Hawaii. :D

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

What I got from Roger's article was that it was racism towards African-Americans in the industry in general (although I can certainly imagine the other possibility as well), which while since improved, his remarks can easily apply today, sadly. :(

Hawaii is a very different place from California, though my family's been lucky to have met some great people in both places. They also have large Asian populations, so my Chinese mom and easygoing, open white dad might have something to do with that. :wink: He's always loved how calm and serene the islands are, and thankfully has never been the "Ugly American" tourist the natives understandably hate.

Hawaii's racial history and political makeup is rather unique amongst the states, so it's possible there were less opportunities for Roger to fit in that way the way he did back in California, like if a person from Delaware or Washington state went to live in South Carolina. From what I gathered, he seemed to soften towards his role on the show later on, and it's great he gave back time and work to the islands and kids like T.C. did. :)

Shame the Equalizer crossover never happened, it would've provided a Hands of a Murderer "preunion" between Edward Woodward and John Hillerman. :P Wonder why it never came to fruition, I assume the former show was cancelled?

Keep up these fantastic articles, Rembrandt's Girl! (And if you got any more on the other Rembrandt's Girl, I'd love to see 'em! :wink: )

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Well said, chickinthemiddle!

Regarding The Equalizer question, I wondered too and almost posted this when I posted that crossover article. Here's a copy/paste of what I found:

"After season one, Universal execs requested that McCall team up with Thomas Magnum, the mustachioed private investigator played by Tom Selleck on CBS’s venerable Magnum, P.I., also a Universal production. The Equalizer writer/producer Coleman Luck wrote a script for the crossover, which was eventually scrapped and re-written as Beyond Control, the thirteenth episode in season two. While we never got to see Robert McCall and Jonathan Quayle Higgins III (John Hillerman) trade barbs on the beach in Hawaii, Woodward and Hillerman would team up in Victorian Era England for the 1990 CBS TV movie Hands of a Murderer as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson."

thechickinthemiddle wrote:Keep up these fantastic articles, Rembrandt's Girl! (And if you got any more on the other Rembrandt's Girl, I'd love to see 'em! :wink: )
I've seen Carol mentioned here & there but I've never done searches about her appearances on MPI, but I'd be happy to! :D

This leads me to a question for everyone...I've come across a gazillion little blurbs that were mentioned in the papers about the show & cast during its run. Are you guys interested in reading any little tidbit or just the main larger articles like I've been posting? I've been enjoying the small stuff because it gives glimpses into the day-to-day...but that's me.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:Keep up these fantastic articles, Rembrandt's Girl! (And if you got any more on the other Rembrandt's Girl, I'd love to see 'em! :wink: )
Here ya' go! Sorry about the poor quality in the right margin. :(

Honolulu Advertiser, January 12, 1984...

And here's one of the "tidbit articles" I mentioned above...to me they're a fun glimpse into the day-to-day during MPI's run.

Honolulu Advertiser, January 17, 1984, "Dave Donnelly's Hawaii" gossip column...

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by 308GUY »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:This leads me to a question for everyone...I've come across a gazillion little blurbs that were mentioned in the papers about the show & cast during its run. Are you guys interested in reading any little tidbit or just the main larger articles like I've been posting? I've been enjoying the small stuff because it gives glimpses into the day-to-day...but that's me.
It's NOT just you.

My vote is to post anything and everything YOU find interesting and/or entertaining pertaining to the show, the people, the locations, the studio, everything related or associated to/with it.

If the pieces you run across are what you consider too "small" or insignificant to post for their own merit, maybe create a collage page of smaller mentions that all tie together? Just a suggestion.

I for one, am thoroughly enjoying each and every thing you've posted thus far. :magnum:

Keep em' comin'! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

First of all Rembrandt's Girl, thank you so much! :D :D :D You went above and beyond! I've always been curious as to how she and Magnum met. :) Even though quite a few articles had been written at the time about Ceebs' 80s "rebirth" as it was, this is by far the best I've read so far. ^-^

And I really like the tidbit articles too, even though TS probably wasn't too fond of the more invasive reporters on the scene. :P Like with John Hillerman, it's kinda funny to see the people we know as one thing do stuff we take for granted. And the day-to-day aspect adds to the camaraderie we've already seen in the articles prior. :) You've got my vote! :)

As for poor tank top girl, seeing she and Tom were dating at the time, it's possible that's indeed Jillie that was spotted. Hey, it happens to the best of us!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by KENJI »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
KENJI wrote:
A fun article there RG.
I noticed the reporter butchered poor Nancy's maiden name DeCarl to Dicarla.....unless DeCarl has something to do with her stage name and Dicarla is her actual maiden name (guessing here) Does anyone know for sure?
I did some research on Nancy's last name, and as you already posted, her imdb filmography has her listed as Nancy Ann DeCarl on Death Valley Days in 1957 when she was 9. I couldn't find any information about her birth name though, sorry. Here's a little more about Nancy:

She was first runner up in the Miss Teen USA pageant when she was 15.

In 1971 she married Ron Samuels, the Hollywood personal manager/producer. He managed the careers of Jaclyn Smith, Lindsay Wagner, Lynda Carter, and others. I don't know when Nancy & Ron divorced, but he married Lynda Carter in '77 (divorced in '82).

Just for fun, here's a quick snippet of Nancy when she was 10 on Hitcock's Suspicion tv series: https://youtu.be/Czwo31mAlNg?t=43m53s
Hi RG,
Thanks for finding this interesting info on Nancy!
The youtube clip was a big bonus!

As for my vote.....I'm interested in anything you can find (big or small) on the show.....so fire away. :D

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Thank you one and all! This is an awesome thread. I'm absolutely LOVING these newspaper clippings. Keep 'em coming....I'm salivating over each and every tidbit of info.

:magnum: :higgins:
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Sam »

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread or not but it is a two part transcript of an audio interview with Mosley.It doesn't address Mosley's first season issues but thought it interesting.

Bellisario has his taken on Mosley in the 2001 E! True Hollywood which was posted on the board but now gone.Does anyone know what happened to the video??

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... .magnum-pi

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... .magnum-pi

Keep them coming RG..Post it all....
Did you find a story from 1988 regarding a final Cast and Crew softball game in the park? I saw the article but we didn't go,,

Don't know if your findings get placed in the article section but the thread deserves a Sticky.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:
Bellisario has his taken on Mosley in the 2001 E! True Hollywood which was posted on the board but now gone.Does anyone know what happened to the video??

Did you find a story from 1988 regarding a final Cast and Crew softball game in the park? I saw the article but we didn't go,,
Sam, looks like the E! True Hollywood Story is still in the video section: http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Video.html I'll try to find something on the softball game...are you saying you had the chance to go? :shock:
Last edited by Rembrandt's Girl on Wed May 03, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Okie dokie, thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll post smaller blurbs as well as articles. :D

The following contains both...I started searching in 1979 and wrapped up for now in mid-July 1980.

Honolulu Advertiser, November 6, 1979...

Star-Bulletin, January 21, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, February 6, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, May 4, 1980...

Star-Bulletin, May 7, 1980...

Star-Bulletin, June 24, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, June 27, 1980...

Star-Bulletin, June 29, 1980...

Star-Bulletin, June 30, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, July 3, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, July 13, 1980...

Honolulu Advertiser, July 15, 1980...

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Great articles Rembrandt's Girl! :D The buzz for Magnum seemed to be huge, especially coming off the heels of Five-O's finale, but one can sense enough caution in these writers' voices that was eventually quelled by the show's success, likely exceeding everyone's expectations.

It's so easy to forget how many variety shows were already still being put on the air in 1980. That screeched to a halt soon after. :P On top of that, you can tell this was just before the MTV era because of the lesser concern with image. I mean, "Shnazz"? :lol: At the same time here in Canada, there were band names like Martha and the Muffins and Doug and the Slugs, both of which were somewhat serious adult bands and not children's entertainment bands. :P

Also, "lives in a houseboat on Hawaii"? :lol: Either that's a mistake on the part of the writer or a detail changed later in the production. I'm guessing TS was too tall for such a setting if the latter scenario was true. The sentence that follows, "That former gay club..." just piques my curiosity even more.

Keep up the great work! :magnum:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Sam »

Did you find a story from 1988 regarding a final Cast and Crew softball game in the park? I saw the article but we didn't go,,[/quote]
Sam, looks like the E! True Hollywood Story is still in the video section: http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Video.html I'll try to find something on the softball game...are you saying you had the chance to go? :shock:[/quote]

Sorry RG I wasn't clear..I was able to find the E link but I don't see a video...Does it work for you??

The softball game was in late March,I believe after the final filming..I don't know if I saw it in the Star Bulletin or a free giveaway paper from a street corner paper box..and yes we could have gone to the game,don't remember why we didn't go.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

thechickinthemiddle wrote: Also, "lives in a houseboat on Hawaii"? :lol: Either that's a mistake on the part of the writer or a detail changed later in the production. I'm guessing TS was too tall for such a setting if the latter scenario was true. The sentence that follows, "That former gay club..." just piques my curiosity even more.
Glad you liked them, chickinthemiddle!

I read a different article from about the same period (that I can't locate right now) that describes Magnum as living "above a boat house" or "in a converted boat house" so I think that reporter just goofed.

Here's the rest of the former gay club blurb. I know what you mean...I continually get sidetracked & find myself reading other articles totally unrelated to MPI! :roll:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:Sorry RG I wasn't clear..I was able to find the E link but I don't see a video...Does it work for you??

The softball game was in late March,I believe after the final filming..I don't know if I saw it in the Star Bulletin or a free giveaway paper from a street corner paper box..and yes we could have gone to the game,don't remember why we didn't go.
Ah gotcha...yep, the video worked for me. I found a number of articles about the softball game so stay tuned! :D