Ultimate Fan of Magnum, PI

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Ultimate Fan of Magnum, PI

#76 Post by Doc Ibold »

And we can always assist, if you'd like!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#77 Post by J.J. Walters »

ConchRepublican wrote:They want me to be a "talking head" riffing on a few Magnum clips within a theme. Like "how to dress for success" or "How to get a long with coworkers". I'm supposed to get clips and themes soon and then need to work up what I want to say about it. This could be a huge crash and burn!
Cool! Let's not see any "short shorts" though, ok. :)

Feel free to take/use any of the video clips on the Video page: http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Video.html . My personal favorite is still the opening scene from "Flashback". You couldn't go wrong with something like "Goodbye Ivan", "The Lemon Brawl" or "New Delhi is Lost!" either. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#78 Post by Doc Ibold »

The Lemon battle is always fun.

Getting chased by the lads.

Higgins running in some fashion is good.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#79 Post by ConchRepublican »

Thanks for the feedback and support guys! I'll let you know how things progress, I'm hoping to get my info soon so I can get working on what I want to say.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican

#80 Post by ConchRepublican »

J.J. Walters wrote:Cool! Let's not see any "short shorts" though, ok. :)
Worry not J.J.! I will be shorts-less!!!! Wait, that's not what I meant . . . .

Anyhoo . . . Dropped off the black Star Orchid and the purple Calla Lily at the dry cleaners today so I have a choice of the three iconic shirts. I'm leaning Star Orchid since Jungle Bird was already done, but we'll see.
J.J. Walters wrote:Feel free to take/use any of the video clips on the Video page: http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Video.html . My personal favorite is still the opening scene from "Flashback". You couldn't go wrong with something like "Goodbye Ivan", "The Lemon Brawl" or "New Delhi is Lost!" either. :)
Thank you very much J.J.! I appreciate the support! The producer said I may have a little influence on the clips, it'll depend on their themes and what they are going by. I really hope to get that info tomorrow as I'm a novice at this, I want as much prep time as I can get.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by Steve »

Let's hope the producers have enough sense to take some advice from "The Ultimate Fan" as I am betting they have little knowledge of the intricacies and nuances of the series.......Give em heck, Peter (just don't get booted!)..........

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Danno »

Dropped off the black Star Orchid and the purple Calla Lily at the dry cleaners today so I have a choice of the three iconic shirts. I'm leaning Star Orchid since Jungle Bird was already done, but we'll see.
Star Orchid for sure, Conch. I always thought that looked the coolest. 8)
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

ConchRepublican

#83 Post by ConchRepublican »

Well, that's a wrap!

I'll post tomorrow the themes they wanted me to work with but the title of the show was CoziTV - 10 Way to Improve Yourself. They basically wanted to have fun with clips from the Cozi syndicated shows and draw interest in them. Things like "How to get along with co-workers", "How to relax", "How to dress for success" .... things like that.

I think I did OK, but not as good as I wanted to. It's tough just sitting there with the camera and mike and a bunch of people behind the scenes watching you, being natural isn't easy. Thankfully Mrs. Conch was in the with me providing support - reinforcing themes we wanted to push, reminding me of my "talking points", checking the monitor so I wasn't over "jazz handing" my comments (she's Italian, I'm Irish, and I talk with my hands, go figure) and basically coaching me. Good work to my Wubbie!

The really cool thing? Cozi wants to run a Magnum Marathon in March. I was talking to the programming director and she seemed interested in doing a "live from Flemingo Key" during the marathon as kinda of a link for the shows. The producer of my segment seconded that a Magnum Marathon with Cozi needs to have me involved. Now THAT is what I'm talking about!! I'll let you know how this progresses in the case we want to have a meet up at my place if this actually happens!

Thanks again for all the support you guys have provided, especially Doc, it really helped me focus and try to get my feelings of the show out there.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#84 Post by Doc Ibold »

Nice work!

Can't wait to see it! Do you know when it'll be aired?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Steve »

No Jazz Hands!!! We leave! But seriously, you will, as always, do us proud.
If they do indeed do a "Live from Flemingo Key" during the marathon any chance of having a few uninvited guests?

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Stelth »

Really cool Conch! I'm looking forward to your show.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by 308GUY »

Congrats on the new "show"!

Can't imagine the pressure you had to be under...we know you did great though, if they hadn't liked what they got from you the first time around, they never would have asked for more.

Maybe (dreaming here..) it'll work into a slot where you "host" the night's episode/s with banter/commentary, you know, like Elvira used to do with the horror flics? Broadcasting from your Tiki Bar, or similar set, hell, they could set up a makeshift "guesthouse" interior, that'd be cool! Like I said, just a little daydream. (Can you see a set of ceramic/wooden/resin/whatever "lads" in the background? :magnum:

Don't forget to post a link to the footage when it's available for those of us who don't get Cozi.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican

#88 Post by ConchRepublican »

Good morning guys!

OK, the morning after and I'm feeling a little better about things. I was my first time on a set, in a studio, with a camera on me and me having the respond, wittily if possible, on the fly, so there's a learning curve.

Here are the basic ideas they were working with:

COZI 10 STEPS TO A NEW YOU - FOCUS POINTS FOR THEMES

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
● DO SOMETHING SPONTANEOUS/MEMORABLE/IMPACTFUL
● LEARN A SKILL
● DON'T LET OBSTACLES GET IN YOUR WAY
● HANDING OUT DRINKS GOES A LONG WAY
● GET SOMEONE'S NAME CORRECT
● ALWAYS GREAT TO TOUCH SOMEONE, RUB YOUR HANDS ON THEIR FACE / CHEST HAIR
● ALWAYS HAVE AN OPENING LINE / PLAN
● BE SURE TO GOOGLE YOUR BOSS / KNOW WHAT YOUR BOSS LOOKS LIKE
● DON'T BE RUDE / NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU WILL MEET AN ANGEL
● BE VERY EAGER / SHOW INTEREST
● OWN FRIVOLOUS FLASHY THINGS
● CHIVALRY ISN'T DEAD / NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE/FRIENDLY GESTURES/COMPLIMENTS GO A LONG WAY
● TRY NOT TO BE OFFENSIVE / MAKE AN ENTRANCE / FRIENDLY GESTURES

HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT
● DON'T GET STUCK IN A NUTRITIONAL RUT / MIX IT UP / VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE
● NOTHING BEATS REGULAR EXERCISE
● DOING EVERYTHING IN SLOW MOTION REALLY BURNS CALORIES
● RUNNING ON SAND HELPS A LOT
● BUILD A SUPPORT GROUP/GET INSPIRED BY WORKING OUT WITH FRIENDS
● DON’T SKIP BREAKFAST
● MAKING BEAUTIFUL BODIES OUT OF BLUBBER
● REPLACE YOUR BODY WITH BIONIC PARTS - THEY WEIGH LESS

HOW TO DRESS FOR SUCCESS (OR IN SOME CASES UNDRESS FOR SUCCESS)
● LEISURE SUITS (HAVEN’T GOTTEN THE SUCCESS THEY DESERVE, BUT DON’T WORK FOR EVERYONE!)
● THE PERFECT ACCESSORY: CHEST HAIR GOES WITH EVERYTHING
● NEVER DRESS BETTER THAN YOUR GIRLFRIEND
● LESS IS MORE
● DISGUISES CAN WORK - ESPECIALLY IF YOU’RE INTO FANTASY
● ITS ALL ABOUT THE PROPS
● FASHION CHOICES DEPEND ON IF YOU WANT TO STAND OUT OR BLEND IN
● JUST DRESS LIKE RICARDO MONTALBAN!

HOW TO BE HAPPY
● BE SPONTANEOUS / PLAYFUL
● START FRESH / UNCLUTTER YOUR LIFE
● LEARN WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY / COMMIT TO SOMETHING
● LAUGH / SING / PLAY
● HELP / TEACH SOMETHING

HOW TO BE CONFIDENT
● IMPRESS PEOPLE
● DRESS THE PART
● TAKE A CHANCE / DO SOMETHING / ANYTHING! (GOOD OR BAD)

PROTECT YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS
● USE WEAPONS (VERY TONGUE IN CHEEK)
● LEARN A SKILL (WRESTLING, KICKBOXING, SHOOTING, THROWING THINGS)
● KNOW WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO DO BEFORE YOU DO IT
● EVERYONE NEEDS A FRIEND, WE’RE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR EACH OTHER

RELAX
● SING
● GET OUT AND HAVE SOME FUN
● LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP
● LAY DOWN, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO PAY

GET ALONG WITH YOUR CO-WORKERS
● TAKE AN INTEREST IN PEOPLE AT WORK
● BE OPEN AND HONEST
● WATCH OUT FOR THEM / HAVE THEIR BACK / HELP THEM WHEN THEY NEED IT
● STICK UP FOR THEM / BE SUPPORTIVE
● SHARE INTERESTS (BIKING, CAR-POOLING, DRINKING)
● DEVELOP STRONG BONDS

MAKE MORE MONEY
● DEVELOP A TALENT (THATS IN DEMAND: MUSICIAN, PROSTITUTE, MASTER OF DISGUISE) (VERY TONGUE IN CHEEK)
● OVER CHARGE FOR YOUR SERVICES
● ELIMINATE THE COMPETITION
● LEARN TO GAMBLE
● BE A CRIMINAL (VERY TONGUE IN CHEEK)
● INVEST IN THE BASICS (OIL, TRANSPORTATION, CLOTHING, NOTHING HI TECH)

FIND MEANING IN LIFE
● BREAK THE ROUTINE / TRY SOMETHING NEW / TAKE LESSONS
● LEARN WHATS IMPORTANT / WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF (OR DON’T)
● HAVE GOALS (NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL)

I know what you're thinking . . . you have clips in your head to match almost all of these themes, that's because you're a Maniac like me. They had different ones to work with that aren't what you're thinking (well, except for Higgins doing sit-ups while Magnum drinks a beer) and some I saw for the first time while sitting in that white fluffy Cozi chair and had to roll with things on the spot.

I did make a suggestion or two - like dressing for success with a white dinner jacket and jeans from No Need to Know - but they have their job to do so sometimes the input can be more distracting than helpful.

BTW - for the exercise one with Higgins? I did go with the idea "Magnum maybe 33, reliving 23, but when you're training someone who's 63, and you're drinking a beer, keep in mind 43 isn't that far away . . ." things like that is what they were looking for.
Last edited by ConchRepublican on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoziTV Superfan spot

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#89 Post by J.J. Walters »

I don't know how you did it Conch. No way I could have sat there in the studio, under those hot lights, with all those strangers, with cameras pointed at you, and come up with something funny/witty on the fly! I'd have to be reading off a teleprompter, and even then it wouldn't be good.

I'm in awe that you were able to do this, without any previous experience! You guys in NYC are different breed, man. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by Steve »

J.J. Walters wrote:I don't know how you did it Conch. No way I could have sat there in the studio, under those hot lights, with all those strangers, with cameras pointed at you, and come up with something funny/witty on the fly! I'd have to be reading off a teleprompter, and even then it wouldn't be good.

I'm in awe that you were able to do this, without any previous experience! You guys in NYC are different breed, man. :)
Yep, I was thinking the same thing JJ...I am pretty sure I would have been shown the way out the door(hopefully after hitting the honey wagon)