Magnum's NFL team

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

Magnum's NFL team

#1 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Does the show ever reveal which one he supported/followed?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by KENJI »

Great question....................At the college level he supported NAVY which everyone knows, but I can't think of an episode that states a specific NFL team. I'm thinking it might be the Detroit Lions, as he loves the Tigers, but who knows.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

I don't believe he ever stated what his favorite NFL team is. The New Jersey Blazers perhaps? Or maybe the Lions, the poor guy. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#4 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I'd say the Lions or, since he was from Northern Virginia, he could have been a Redskins fan. It is even more possible he didn't have a favorite team as people of his generation loved baseball like we love football in present day.

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by .45caliber »

New Jersey Blazers? Was that a UFL team?

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Lt Tanaka »

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, that was the team Magnum and T.C. briefly played for in "One More Summer". They exist only in Magnum's world. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

Ah, If it were only my beloved Lions, but I don't see that being the case. I'll go out on a limb and say he was a Colts fan growing up.

But, in the Magnaverse... I can't see Magnum being a huge Blazers fan with the lumps he took from the infamous "Ski", and the fact that the owners wife tried to kill him.

:wink:

I wonder if the writers knew someone named Ski, as this is the second time a character of this name has popped up (The first being in "Don't Eat The Snow In Hawaii", played by the late Jeff MacKay.

Fascinating...

Jean-Claude Fornier
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Jean-Claude Fornier »

In my point of view, Magnum should support an NFL team like Green Bay Packers (near Detroit) playing passing football rather than rushing football, and giving a huge role to the quarterback (Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers ...) rather than the running backs. Magnum was quarterback during an episode and during one or two others, he's training with TC, still as a qb.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MagnumILWU »

In the era Magnum would have grown-up in, football was a running and defensive game! The Quarterback was the 'field general', but the team did not rely on his passing to win games! The Detroit Lions won 3 NFL championships in the 1950's, so did the Cleveland Browns. But I like to think Magnum became a Johnny Unitas fan, and rooted for the Baltimore Colts!
"pickled egg please"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#11 Post by Doc Ibold »

MagnumILWU wrote:In the era Magnum would have grown-up in, football was a running and defensive game! The Quarterback was the 'field general', but the team did not rely on his passing to win games! The Detroit Lions won 3 NFL championships in the 1950's, so did the Cleveland Browns. But I like to think Magnum became a Johnny Unitas fan, and rooted for the Baltimore Colts!
Agreed, with his background in Tidewater, it just makes sense.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MagnumILWU »

http://youtu.be/yPXoLNsfVis Magnum throwing the football!
"pickled egg please"