Wave Goodbye Beach Bar

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Bathurstfan
Commander

Wave Goodbye Beach Bar

#1 Post by Bathurstfan »

Hey guys, I have never been able to work out where the beach bar is that was used in this episode, it appears it was down a dirt road. Any ideas where it is?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: Wave Goodbye Beach Bar

#2 Post by Sam »

Bathurstfan wrote:Hey guys, I have never been able to work out where the beach bar is that was used in this episode, it appears it was down a dirt road. Any ideas where it is?
Hi Bathurstfan.."Your wish for fish come true" You can find the location in Rubber Chickens guide.

http://magnum-mania.com/A_Rubber_Chicken_Guide.html

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

It's in Wai'alae Beach Park on the south shore.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Sam »

JJ..I think he's asking about the Surfrider Club but I could be wrong.

http://magnum-mania.com/images/2_8_g_full.jpg

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oops, wrong "beach bar"!

Yeah, the "Wave Goodbye" "Surfrider Club" was shot on the North Shore, near Haleiwa. It appears that it wasn't a real club, though. The exterior was built onto an existing building. The interior shots were more than likely filmed at the Hawaii Film Studio.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Gearhard »

I think the interior of the Surf Rider was filmed at Buzz's steakhouse at Kailua Beach.  I'm interested what others think.
Mahalo,
Glenn

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#7 Post by Hawaii Winds »

J.J. Walters wrote:Oops, wrong "beach bar"!

Yeah, the "Wave Goodbye" "Surfrider Club" was shot on the North Shore, near Haleiwa. It appears that it wasn't a real club, though. The exterior was built onto an existing building. The interior shots were more than likely filmed at the Hawaii Film Studio.

It looked like the North Shore....

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by Gearhard »

Has anyone here been to Buzz's Steakhouse at Kailua Beach? I agree that the exterior of the Surfrider is somewhere else and I don't question the North Shore/Haleiwa descriptions.

For the interior, the entrance door, the three sided bar, the salad bar to Magnum's right as he roughs up the bartender, the tables, the seating behind Rick and Tc when they come in to make a connection on the drug dealer, all look like Buzz's to me. It could be somewhere else, could be a sound stage, but really looks like a place that existed in the early 80's and is still there last I visited in 2019.

Any Windward Oahu residents here that want to offer their opinion?
Mahalo,
Glenn

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Looks like it may be possible. The bar looks about the right height and size, but it none of the details are the same. Of course, you'd expect renovations over the past forty years...

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

RustyPerroP.I.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#10 Post by RustyPerroP.I. »

Buzz's is the bar interior in "Wave Goodbye" I've been there before and it hasn't changed much other that the pictures on the wall. The times I've been I sat in seats Rick and TC sat in. When Gary comes in the scene to talk to Casey he is actually coming out of the restroom.
"It's good for my cold"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

RustyPerroP.I. wrote:Buzz's is the bar interior in "Wave Goodbye" I've been there before and it hasn't changed much other that the pictures on the wall. The times I've been I sat in seats Rick and TC sat in. When Gary comes in the scene to talk to Casey he is actually coming out of the restroom.
Thanks for confirming. Wonder if this is in Rubber Chicken's guide? I haven't looked at that in a long time. Wish it was a regular Google Map for quick reference.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Uh, was just skipping headlines and read at first „Goodbye Beach bar“

My heart almost stopped fearing to receive similar news about the loss of another iconic location after of Pahonu some time ago