The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#301 Post by rubber chicken »

Good lists there. Many shows to look into.

Looks like the season 4 McCloud episode doesn't have a dvd yet, but I've made a note of it.

Starsky and Hutch and The Six Million Dollar Man filmed in Hawaii but I'm unable to find the particular episode names.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#302 Post by rubber chicken »

To add to my previous post, I watched the Hart to Hart Oahu episode online, as well as an Eight is Enough Oahu episode. I plan to also watch the I Dream of Jeannie episode. (This whole topic is deviating from the Anderson Estate, but I thought I may as well continue in this thread.)

The Eight is Enough two part episode Fathers and other Strangers can be watched on youtube. Not the best quality, but good enough. I enjoyed the episode, but I watched the whole thing thinking that the aunt character was the same actress who played Carol Baldwin's biological mother in The Love That Lies. It turns out the aunt is played by Betty Buckley, not Eileen Brennan. In my defense, they did look quite similar. It would have been neat too, because in the Eight is Enough episode Betty Buckley's character takes the whole family to Oahu to reconcile with her father who had abandoned her and her brother when they were children. And of course in The Love That Lies, Eileen Brennan's character comes to Oahu to reconcile with the daughter she left so long ago.

They used the west coast of Oahu a number of times in the show, including the coves used in Rapture (6.11) and Kapu (7.10).

The Hart to Hart episode Murder in Paradise was fun to watch (on hulu), and had a number of interesting locations. To start, the Harts moor their boat in the Ala Wai Small Boat Harbor. They also go swimming in the harbor, on their way to the croquet match... (?)

The croquet match is played at this great location - Haiku Gardens. I was surprised that I don't remember this location being used on Magnum P.I. - it would have been perfect for one of Higgin's functions. Does anyone here remember it being used? It could possibly be in an episode I've only watched once in recent years. I kept wondering why Higgins wasn't attending this croquet match. It would have been perfect for him, and it would have been awesome if they had simply placed him casually in the background as a spectator or a referee. Maybe one quick line pertaining to the match, or not even a line, but just showing him going about one of his many duties in the high society of the Sandwich Islands. It would have made the worlds of both Magnum P.I. and Hart to Hart seem more real to have him appear very briefly in a seemingly accidental way.

Another great location is here, by an old fish pond. It would have been a great location for Magnum P.I. as well. (Unless it was used and I haven't seen it for a few years...)

In watching these old shows traveling to Oahu, I've noticed they almost always stay at The Royal Hawaiian, and almost always use the "wrong" side of the hotel as the entranceway. This side is the one that's almost always used, instead of the real life entrance seen here (the side facing left). I think the first side is what was used for the entrance when the hotel was originally built, and was used by the shows because it's more photogenic than the current entrance. It's funny though to see cars driving up to the hotel on walking paths, barely wide enough for a car to fit on...

Sanford and Son, with Lt. Tanaka driving on the walkway:

Charlie's Angels, barely enough room:

Eight is Enough - they were almost able to get two limousines to fit, but one had to drive and park on the grass:
Image Image

Hart to Hart - the real life entranceway:
Image Image
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun May 09, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#303 Post by J.J. Walters »

That's funny RC, I couldn't find the "Hawaii" Six Million Dollar Man episode either! Another blast-from-the-past TV show for me!
rubber chicken wrote:The Hart to Hart episode Murder in Paradise was fun to watch (on hulu), and had a number of interesting locations. To start, the Harts moor their boat in the Ala Wai Small Boat Harbor. They also go swimming in the harbor, on their way to the croquet match... (?)

The croquet match is played at this great location - Haiku Gardens. I was surprised that I don't remember this location being used on Magnum P.I. - it would have been perfect for one of Higgin's functions. Does anyone here remember it being used? It could possibly be in an episode I've only watched once in recent years. I kept wondering why Higgins wasn't attending this croquet match. It would have been perfect for him, and it would have been awesome if they had simply placed him casually in the background as a spectator or a referee. Maybe one quick line pertaining to the match, or not even a line, but just showing him going about one of his many duties in the high society of the Sandwich Islands. It would have made the worlds of both Magnum P.I. and Hart to Hart seem more real to have him appear very briefly in a seemingly accidental way.
What a great idea! Just having Hillerman in the background briefly would have been so, so cool. This was in '81, so you know he was just down the road. The episode even had a loose tie-in with Magnum after the croquet scene. Jonathan Hart pretends to be "5-0" to get into a house (the house at the fish pond, I believe). We know that 5-0 exists in the Magnuverse, therefore so must the Harts.... and Max. :)
rubber chicken wrote:In watching these old shows traveling to Oahu, I've noticed they almost always stay at The Royal Hawaiian, and almost always use the "wrong" side of the hotel as the entranceway. This side is the one that's almost always used, instead of the real life entrance seen here (the side facing left). I think the first side is what was used for the entrance when the hotel was originally built, and was used by the shows because it's more photogenic than the current entrance. It's funny though to see cars driving up to the hotel on walking paths, barely wide enough for a car to fit on...
I've noticed that, too. It's used all the time. It's gotta be great PR for the hotel!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#304 Post by Styles Bitchley »

RC, you never cease to amaze me. How on earth did you get such an intimate knowledge of Oahu? Did you live there at some point?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#305 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:Starsky and Hutch and The Six Million Dollar Man filmed in Hawaii but I'm unable to find the particular episode names.
I found the Six Million Dollar Man episode - "The Lost Island", Season Five, 1978. Several familiar Oahu-based actors are in this one - Kwan Hi Lim, Tommy Fujiwara, Keokeokalae Hughes.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#306 Post by rubber chicken »

Ahh, I saw The Lost Island episode title and thought that might be it, but there was no synopsis. I didn't think to look at the guest actors. Good idea!
J.J. Walters wrote:What a great idea! Just having Hillerman in the background briefly would have been so, so cool. This was in '81, so you know he was just down the road. The episode even had a loose tie-in with Magnum after the croquet scene. Jonathan Hart pretends to be "5-0" to get into a house (the house at the fish pond, I believe). We know that 5-0 exists in the Magnuverse, therefore so must the Harts.... and Max. :)
Yeah, the fish pond house. Not a very convincing act if you ask me. Never trust a policeman who shows you a business card in place of a badge, and takes your employers parrot in for questioning. :)

I forgot to mention two lines of dialog that are amusing to us Magnum fans. At one point Mrs. Hart says to Mr. Hart... "Darling, don't you think we should get a real live detective?" to which Mr. Hart responds... "Would we know one if we found one?" This is just after discovering a man they thought was a police detective was actually an impostor. Of course people often didn't believe Magnum was a private investigator. In addition to the glimpse of Higgins, in this episode they could have had a scene where the Harts briefly meet Magnum, but turn down his services because they think he's another impostor. :) Then they would go on with their own investigation, as seen in the rest of the episode. This is their show after all. :)
Styles Bitchley wrote:RC, you never cease to amaze me. How on earth did you get such an intimate knowledge of Oahu? Did you live there at some point?
I wish I'd lived on Oahu! But if I had I might not be as intrigued with the island as I am now. :) I've slowly built up my knowledge of the island from scratch, starting around the time I looked for that tree in Let Me Hear the Music. I like investigating locations in great detail, finding out everything the internet has to offer about them. The entire island is fascinating to me in so many ways. :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#307 Post by Styles Bitchley »

rubber chicken wrote:I wish I'd lived on Oahu! But if I had I might not be as intrigued with the island as I am now. :) I've slowly built up my knowledge of the island from scratch, starting around the time I looked for that tree in Let Me Hear the Music. I like investigating locations in great detail, finding out everything the internet has to offer about them. The entire island is fascinating to me in so many ways. :)
Well you certainly are a whiz-bang researcher!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#308 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:Ahh, I saw The Lost Island episode title and thought that might be it, but there was no synopsis. I didn't think to look at the guest actors. Good idea!
Here's a brief clip from the episode. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this scene looks like it takes place at Kapena Falls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVD9RvKlUfg
rubber chicken wrote:Yeah, the fish pond house. Not a very convincing act if you ask me. Never trust a policeman who shows you a business card in place of a badge, and takes your employers parrot in for questioning. :)

I forgot to mention two lines of dialog that are amusing to us Magnum fans. At one point Mrs. Hart says to Mr. Hart... "Darling, don't you think we should get a real live detective?" to which Mr. Hart responds... "Would we know one if we found one?" This is just after discovering a man they thought was a police detective was actually an impostor. Of course people often didn't believe Magnum was a private investigator. In addition to the glimpse of Higgins, in this episode they could have had a scene where the Harts briefly meet Magnum, but turn down his services because they think he's another impostor. :) Then they would go on with their own investigation, as seen in the rest of the episode. This is their show after all. :)
LOL!

Too funny! Yeah, they sure missed a great opportunity to hook up with the MPI crew. Of course, Hart to Hart was an ABC show. They probably didn't want to give free pub to Magnum P.I.!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#309 Post by rubber chicken »

J.J. Walters wrote:Here's a brief clip from the episode. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this scene looks like it takes place at Kapena Falls!
I'll take you up on your offer, because it's actually Waimea Falls on the North Shore. :P It looks like the bridge was rebuilt, and a tree was cut down, but compare with the scene from Beauty Knows No Pain...

Image Image

Image Image

J.J. Walters wrote:Too funny! Yeah, they sure missed a great opportunity to hook up with the MPI crew. Of course, Hart to Hart was an ABC show. They probably didn't want to give free pub to Magnum P.I.!
True, but they should have at least had Higgins at the croquet match. :)

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#310 Post by steveadl »

Nice one RC!

The bridge actually looks like it may be the same, you can see the wooden cross beams in the 70's version as well, there just seems to be some sort of bamboo along the frames of it back then.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#311 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:I'll take you up on your offer, because it's actually Waimea Falls on the North Shore. :P It looks like the bridge was rebuilt, and a tree was cut down, but compare with the scene from Beauty Knows No Pain...

Image Image

Image Image
God. That's about the 10th time I've mixed up Kapena Falls with Waimea Falls! I swear in those quick mid-range shots, they look the same.
rubber chicken wrote:I've slowly built up my knowledge of the island from scratch, starting around the time I looked for that tree in Let Me Hear the Music.
Amazing that it all started with a tree, one of the hardest darn things to identify a location from! After finding that place, everything else must have been a piece of cake, huh. Everything except nondescript houses in giant, homogeneous neighborhoods, that is. ;)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#312 Post by rubber chicken »

steveadl wrote:The bridge actually looks like it may be the same, you can see the wooden cross beams in the 70's version as well, there just seems to be some sort of bamboo along the frames of it back then.
Hmm, I think you're right steve. I wondered at the likelihood of the bridge being replaced by the time the Magnum episode was shot only 3+ years in the future. Looking again at the video, at the 20 second point the diagonal support beams are clearly visible at the end of the bridge. When I scanned back in the video to get a screen shot I didn't see that part again. Now I'm thinking the bamboo or vines on the top rails were added for the sake of the show, to make make it look more rustic. Thanks for correcting me!
J.J. Walters wrote:Amazing that it all started with a tree, one of the hardest darn things to identify a location from! After finding that place, everything else must have been a piece of cake, huh. Everything except nondescript houses in giant, homogeneous neighborhoods, that is. ;)
Hehe, yes, I certainly still have trouble finding some places. But for most locations it's worlds easier now that I've learned so much more about the island. Now finding the location is often the quickest part of making a placemark. But that isn't always the case, unfortunately. :?

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#313 Post by steveadl »

rubber chicken wrote:Now I'm thinking the bamboo or vines on the top rails were added for the sake of the show, to make make it look more rustic. Thanks for correcting me!
I'll relish the moment, I doubt it'll happen again judging by the knowledge you display around here! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#314 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:Hehe, yes, I certainly still have trouble finding some places.
No, the "nondescript houses..." example, I wasn't implying that you couldn't find them (you pretty much always do), I just meant that they, to me, seem to be harder to find (than even trees), yet you still do find them! It's absolutely amazing some of the stuff you've been able to find with virtual maps combined with research and sleuthing skills. ;)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#315 Post by rubber chicken »

Oh, I thought you were meaning the house of Tanaka's sister. :) I would have found that house too, in time, and then I'd wonder why I hadn't found it more quickly. I'm quite familiar with that feeling. :)