Magnum hawaiian shirts

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#16 Post by ConchRepublican »

only looking wrote:what size did you order and how does it fit on you? Really wanting to order asap but need help determining size thinking LG. I usually wear an XL in regular shirts, but those shirts seem to be bigger in cut..so Im thinking LG
I went XL. I'm a little over 6' and weigh 228 (down 5 and aiming for 2-teens by spring!).

I prefer a little loose over tight, especially at 42. Plus, these shirts can shrink a little.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by perfectlykevin »

Steve wrote:If you have those two, you have a great start. You might want to also pickup the black and purple "Paradise Found" Jungle Bird shirt and you probably have the big three. Then there is this one that he seemed to wear quite a bit as well, but I don't know what brand it is........
And don't laugh, but I would love to pick this smock up as a memento of one of those quirky episodes that I just loved......"pickled egg please"

LOL! I crack up everytime I see that episode. I can hear TC so clearly......"pickled egg please" :D

Maybe this is one that has to be fan created, like the Island Hoppers t's etc. ?

Kev

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#18 Post by ConchRepublican »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Conch thanks for the coupon codes. I think this thread needs a pin because of that!
My pleasure!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Cutter
Lieutenant

#19 Post by Cutter »

This is great...I have wanted this shirt for a while. Now if Puma would only make the correct easy riders.

For those questioning size I am 6-01, 165 and have other paradise found shirts that are a large. They are not tight and feel just right to me...maybe a little on the big side but not much at all.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by only looking »

ok..Im 5'!!' and weigh 205..no fat...43/44" chest..34 waist with that being said..LG or XL? anyone? :D
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Cutter
Lieutenant

#21 Post by Cutter »

I think you could do a large...i own the jungle bird at the large size and I was at 200 a few years ago before giving up sweets. Never been fat and had that waist size back then.

only looking
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by only looking »

Cutter wrote:I think you could do a large...i own the jungle bird at the large size and I was at 200 a few years ago before giving up sweets. Never been fat and had that waist size back then.
Did you still have room to move..dont like it being too snug..like the extra room to move. Have 2 other jungle shirts (both off ebay and they are 22 to 23" arm pit to arm pit )and they fit but are a tad snugger than I like..no size tag so Im guessing medium so I'm guessing you're right with the size lag...Thanks for the info..helped alot!!
It made me do it Higgins!!!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Danno »

In the ground floor shop window at the Waikiki Outrigger!

Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#24 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Dan wrote:In the ground floor shop window at the Waikiki Outrigger!
Another Magnum Mania live report from Honolulu via Dan.

Cheers mate!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#25 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Dan wrote:In the ground floor shop window at the Waikiki Outrigger!
Another Magnum Mania live report from Honolulu via Dan.

Cheers mate!
price?
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

Cutter
Lieutenant

#26 Post by Cutter »

FYI.....I got mine and a large is HUGE....easily an XL any other time. I had to give it the hot water/ dryer treatment and it has shrunk nicely to fit me.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Danno »

Back home in Sydney now, Styles. :cry:

Donuts, I think it was $50 or so...

It's obviously far cheaper online but I wanted to wait to buy them while I was on Oahu for the 'I bought this in Hawaii' factor. The lady I bought it off knew the owner of Paradise Found and we had a chat about how one of the original shirts is in the Smithsonian and what other shirts Selleck liked etc, etc.

Apparently the jungle bird shirt is very popular with the Japanese tourists...

I bought the red jungle bird shirt and the black star orchid.
Did Magnum actually ever wear the black background star orchid shirt? I know he had a green one and a dark blue one, but the black background?

I usually wear a size 39-40 jacket- size small fitted me pretty well.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by steveadl »

Ha Dan, when I went to Outrigger in November they were sold out! They had the small picture of TS wearing the red shirt though.

So instead (thanks to someone on MagnumMania) my wife and I walked over to Bailey's Antiques & Aloha Shirts on Kapahula Ave and I bought the XL of both the red Paradise Found 'Birds of Paradise' shirt above and the dark blue one with the flowers he wears in many episodes (the name escapes me). Would thoroughly recommend anyone wanting to buy one in person to check out his store, a nice walk that gets you a bit out of Waikiki into the normal Honolulu.

http://alohashirts.com From memory I think they were $50 each. They had original shirts there as well for $2k+ but I gave them a miss (though if there was an original Birds of Paradise I would have been very tempted). :D For those interested, looks like he can organise online sales as well.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Danno »

Yeah, Steve- I saw that post from a while back and was ready to walk over to Aloha Shirts, but luckily enough stumbled on them at the Outrigger (did you have dinner at Dukes?)

So are we saying there are three main shirts Magnum wore?

1. Jungle Bird (Red background)
2. Star Orchid (What background, black?)
3. Calla-Lilly (Purple background)

http://magnum-mania.com/Lists/Magnum_Gear.html

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by steveadl »

No didn't get to Dukes. Had a great time over there though, swimming in the tidal pool outside the estate was fun! :D

Yeah that's the other one I got - Star Orchid. I'd call it black, but then apparently I'm colour blind so my wife says. :lol: