40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#226 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:28 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:28 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:16 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:25 pm

I don't think that all programming does this, but some really does. I think that the impressionability of kids via television was the impetus behind Sesame Street and the many other kids shows that followed. Think of all the after school specials we were exposed to in the '70s and '80s...they were designed to provide moral guidance. Lots of family-oriented sit coms were carefully crafted to provide these lessons, often with virtuous parents who taught lessons. Think of Steven and Elyse Keaton or Cliff and Clair Huxtable. Clearly some programming is designed to provide role models and heroes and some is not.
I absolutely agree. I was challenging other arguments, namely that content today somehow doesn’t provide any role models or focuses almost entirely on antiheroes. I think the increase in overall content means all types of stories are presented, whereas in the past many other points of view were not given a voice.
That's true. There sure are many, many options.
Absolutely, and I think that can lead many to feel overwhelmed by so many viewpoints. That’s not a criticism of any point of view, just a comment on individual’s many reactions to all the options.

This may be getting into the weeds a bit, but there is growing psychological literature drawing a connection between individual’s response to variety and complexity in general and their political inclinations. I’ve had several discussions on the topic with a colleague over the last few years, though not lately. Essentially, several recent psychological studies have shown that individuals who view new and unique experiences, such as trying a new foreign cuisine, as a negative and uncomfortable tend to fall on the more conservative side of the political spectrum. Individuals who find such exotic experiences more positive and enjoyable tend to lean more liberal. These studies don’t approach it from a political perspective but rather the lens of personal behavior traits that are very likely biologically motivated. I’m not too familiar with all the details but find the topic fascinating. I’ll have to get more specific details from my coworker, because I feel I’m not explaining this very well.
My experience has been that it has more to do with class than politics. Wherever I’ve been in the world, eating foreign / international cuisine is a marker of being a successful or well educated professional.

Yes, I think we’re thoroughly in the weeds!
To go further into the weeds :lol: yeah, the example of foreign cuisines may not have been the best! It had more to with the tendencies one might have to either seek out and enjoy new experiences, or to question and be cautious about the unfamiliar. Those tendencies showed some correlation with political conservatism or liberalism. Yeah, the foreign cuisine example was NOT a good one. :shock:

I do remember one component of one of the studies was pickiness toward food though. It has actually been described in psychological journals that part of the population has higher sensitivities to flavors and are much more cautious about trying unknown flavors. Because these new flavors are often perceived as unpleasant, the experience of trying new ones is viewed more negatively. I think the takeaway was that certain innate tendencies can affect whether people experience new and different things as more generally positive experiences or more negative experiences.

From a purely anecdotal view, I know people on both sides of that spectrum from myself, both the friend who’s up to try anything (sometimes stupidly!) and the friend who’s much more reluctant about those same things and takes a lot of convincing to try something. Now I just have to survey all of them about their political leanings and see how they correlate!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Pahonu on Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pahonu

#227 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 am
This may be getting into the weeds a bit, but there is growing psychological literature drawing a connection between individual’s response to variety and complexity in general and their political inclinations. I’ve had several discussions on the topic with a colleague over the last few years, though not lately. Essentially, several recent psychological studies have shown that individuals who view new and unique experiences, such as trying a new foreign cuisine, as a negative and uncomfortable tend to fall on the more conservative side of the political spectrum. Individuals who find such exotic experiences more positive and enjoyable tend to lean more liberal. These studies don’t approach it from a political perspective but rather the lens of personal behavior traits that are very likely biologically motivated. I’m not too familiar with all the details but find the topic fascinating. I’ll have to get more specific details from my coworker, because I feel I’m not explaining this very well.
LOL

Me conservative type. Me don't understand complek things. Me no like far-away food or them ways. Me just simple caveman. Me wish me was more soffisticatated.

:lol:
That’s not what I meant TQ. :lol:

Amian
Admiral

#228 Post by Amian »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:29 pmMy wife loves Breaking Bad and I watched the first few with her but couldn’t really get into it.

I said this in another post somewhere, but I think the reality is that today we have available to us so much more content, from so many more creators, that we are bound to see all kinds of topics and viewpoints. Many of these we may question or completely dislike, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing that there is so much to choose from. More voices is better in my view, and indeed in any democracy. In the past, networks were very limited in their content, and while they created some truly great programming, it was in a far narrower window.
Breaking Bad is really a morality play where one guy, Walter White, goes from perfectly virtuous to perfectly villainous. In that show, Jesse, the other main character, is more complicated. I quite liked Breaking Bad and thought it got better as it progressed, but I think the spinoff, Better Call Saul, is even better. Saul is that a flawed character who seems to maintain a moral core even if he's willing to bend particular rules.

When it comes to the massive amount of content out there now, I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of worthwhile stories. And I prefer the drip drop of weekly airings over the binge-release model. If there is a set time, I can sometimes make a ritual around it, but if it's always available on demand, it can turn into one of those deals where you take it for granted or put it off.

I've been trying to pop in the ol' season 1 DVD to keep up with everyone, but I'm not doing the best job. Still marvel at the immediate chemistry between Magnum and Higgins.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#229 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:41 am
See.

So it was too complicated for me after all.

:P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#230 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 am
LOL

Me conservative type. Me don't understand complek things. Me no like far-away food or them ways. Me just simple caveman. Me wish me was more soffisticatated.

:lol:
Too funny!! :lol:

Now let's get back on track with positive role models of the 1980s!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#231 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:28 am

Or just go back to the watch party.

Not every random comment or opinion needs a rebuttal or a massive conversation/debate to ensue.

It is the Internets though. :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#232 Post by Styles Bitchley »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:12 pm

Not every random comment or opinion needs a rebuttal or a massive conversation/debate to ensue.

What’s the date for All Roads Lead to Floyd?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#233 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Yep that's what I meant. Positive role model of the 1980s = MAGNUM PI. :D

Come on, T.Q. You conservation type who don't understandify complek things. :wink:

Pahonu

#234 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:10 am
See.

Got me there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#235 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:15 pm

Come on, T.Q. You conservation type who don't understandify complek things. :wink:
We troglodytes have to stick together. :P

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#236 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 pm
T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:10 am
See.

Got me there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#237 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:55 pm

Me drag knuckles. Me knuckles hurt. Me boo boo.

Pahonu

#238 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:52 am
T.Q. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:55 pm

Me drag knuckles. Me knuckles hurt. Me boo boo.
Just don’t start throwing your boo boo! :lol:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#239 Post by ConchRepublican »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:40 am
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:45 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:28 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:16 pm

I absolutely agree. I was challenging other arguments, namely that content today somehow doesn’t provide any role models or focuses almost entirely on antiheroes. I think the increase in overall content means all types of stories are presented, whereas in the past many other points of view were not given a voice.
That's true. There sure are many, many options.
Absolutely, and I think that can lead many to feel overwhelmed by so many viewpoints. That’s not a criticism of any point of view, just a comment on individual’s many reactions to all the options.

My experience has been that it has more to do with class than politics. Wherever I’ve been in the world, eating foreign / international cuisine is a marker of being a successful or well educated professional.

Yes, I think we’re thoroughly in the weeds!
To go further into the weeds :lol: yeah, the example of foreign cuisines may not have been the best! It had more to with the tendencies one might have to either seek out and enjoy new experiences, or to question and be cautious about the unfamiliar. Those tendencies showed some correlation with political conservatism or liberalism. Yeah, the foreign cuisine example was NOT a good one. :shock:

I do remember one component of one of the studies was pickiness toward food though. It has actually been described in psychological journals that part of the population has higher sensitivities to flavors and are much more cautious about trying unknown flavors. Because these new flavors are often perceived as unpleasant, the experience of trying new ones is viewed more negatively. I think the takeaway was that certain innate tendencies can affect whether people experience new and different things as more generally positive experiences or more negative experiences.

From a purely anecdotal view, I know people on both sides of that spectrum from myself, both the friend who’s up to try anything (sometimes stupidly!) and the friend who’s much more reluctant about those same things and takes a lot of convincing to try something. Now I just have to survey all of them about their political leanings and see how they correlate!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
While I haven't caught up yet with this week's watch, I like where this discussion is going.

I do agree there seems to be a lack of "role model" type characters out there, at least of the Magnum type. Sure, we can point to Longmire or Justified, maybe even Burn Notice, to find those characters closer to traditional role models, but they also seem to represent a "fish out of water" feel as well, as if they stand apart from, current society.

They also aren't major network shows but on secondary services. But is it society doesn't want traditional heroes or Is it the loosening of restrictions and having the creative freedom to write more complicated characters? Even back when society was more "polite" there was always a draw to the complicated . . . pulp novels were all the rage and morally grey characters played out the readers fantasies. Think about Casablanca. Everyone loves Rick, yet he wasn't the hero, Lazlo was the real true hero who tried, and did achieve good things. Yet everyone wants to be Rick, the man who self proclaims "he sticks his neck out for nobody".

There's Sons of Anarchy . . . a show I loved yet my wife couldn't stand. These were not nice men, yet they had their own moral code, apart, outlaw, from society as a whole. Similar to The Godfather, yet many who love The Godfather won't see the parallels in SOA. Yet the biggest movies this century were based on either actual superheroes or a band of different peoples, often fantastic races, coming together to fight evil. So for every Dexter and Walter White, isn't there also an Aragorn or Steve Rogers?

I'm not sure ... a lot of people are #TeamCap yet would want to hangout with Tony Stark, or even Loki. It's interesting whether it's what the audience wants, or what the companies producing content want the audience to want.

I find very little on TV catches my attention anymore, between the unfunny "comedies", the overly dramatic medical soap operas, the endless virtue signaling and don't get me started on the reality shows . . . it's disappointing, but it makes shows I like stand out more. SEAL Team is still OK but Blue Bloods is winding down, Walking Dead is now just an obligation rather than Must See T.V. and Last Man Standing is fading.

Oh well, such is the life of one no longer in the target demo I guess . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#240 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:19 pm
Oh well, such is the life of one no longer in the target demo I guess . . .
So true. At our age, there's very little that can change our habits and have us trying something new (and advertisers know it).

All opinions about the new Magnum aside (we don't need to go traipsing off into the weeds again), does the 21st century Magnum bring up issues like honour and/or morality? It's not like our Magnum was completely virtuous (picking locks, stealing wine, not paying his friends back, breaking the speed limit), but he had a strong sense of real honour and it seemed important to the producers to make that clear.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.