Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1336 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:56 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:25 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:13 am Hi Guys,
Just an aside, perhaps many of you knew the following but it's the first I heard.
Kam Fong(Chin Ho Kelly) was a cop in Honolulu before he became an actor.
And he was at work in the Pearl Harbor shipyards on Dec. 7, 1941 when the Japanese attacked.
I have yet to find any in depth interview with Fong, it would be interesting to get his take on
how the police were portrayed on the show, and what exactly happened to him on Dec. 7.
Jack Lord and his wife gave big donations to charity their whole lives. Countless kids in
need in Hawaii benefited from their generous natures. When Jack died he left a $40 million
estate to his wife, and according to both of their wishes, when she passed everything they
owned went to charities.
Yes I think it's pretty well known that he was with the HPD before he became an actor. In fact the moment he walked into the casting room and Leonard Freeman saw him he exclaimed "That's my Chin Ho!". Lenny said he just looked like a cop, exactly the type he was looking for. It's also well documented (don't know if you read this too) that he suffered a devastating tragedy in 1944 when 2 B-25 bombers collided in mid-air right over his Honolulu home, destroying the house and killing his wife, their 4-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son. I can't even begin to imagine his loss! :cry: How do you pick up the pieces after something like that???? He later remarried and had 2 sons and 2 daughters, one of those sons being Dennis Chun who of course played Duke on the new Five-0 reboot.
Wow. Very interesting.
Didn't know Dennis Chun was his son. Very cool. I like him.
Hi Ivan,
Kam Fong always seems sad to me, especially his eyes. He might briefly smile or laugh but his default mode was sadness. Now we know why, losing his family that way.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1337 Post by T.Q. »

Number One with a Bullet

Two parter... with a name like that... I was excited.

Turns out I was singin' the blues. :lol:

It was just okay. Slow moving. Kinda boring.

Very cool having Yvonne Elliman guest star. Enjoyed the music (The Hawaiian song in the Church was great). Even the old Disco. Nostalgic.

And the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWlvYpJ5pRo

Otherwise, I didn't like the episode much. Dragged and wasn't very exciting.

5/10

MPI: Nehemiah Persoff, Jimmy Borges, Winston Char

I think the thugs were:
1. The Hawaiian with the Afro in "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" although don't see him in credits.
2. Walter Omori (who we've discussed before) that never gets credited for any of his appearances for some reason.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1338 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Just an aside, perhaps many of you knew the following but it's the first I heard.

And he was at work in the Pearl Harbor shipyards on Dec. 7, 1941 when the Japanese attacked.

I have yet to find any in depth interview with Fong, it would be interesting to get his take on
how the police were portrayed on the show, and what exactly happened to him on Dec. 7.

Jack Lord and his wife gave big donations to charity their whole lives. Countless kids in
need in Hawaii benefited from their generous natures. When Jack died he left a $40 million
estate to his wife, and according to both of their wishes, when she passed everything they
owned went to charities.
Yes I think it's pretty well known that he was with the HPD before he became an actor. In fact the moment he walked into the casting room and Leonard Freeman saw him he exclaimed "That's my Chin Ho!". Lenny said he just looked like a cop, exactly the type he was looking for. It's also well documented (don't know if you read this too) that he suffered a devastating tragedy in 1944 when 2 B-25 bombers collided in mid-air right over his Honolulu home, destroying the house and killing his wife, their 4-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son. I can't even begin to imagine his loss! :cry: How do you pick up the pieces after something like that???? He later remarried and had 2 sons and 2 daughters, one of those sons being Dennis Chun who of course played Duke on the new Five-0 reboot.
Wow. Very interesting.

Yep, and Dennis Chun even appeared a few times on the old Five-O (much younger then - only in his 20s) usually uncredited. Although I think there was at least 1 or maybe 2 episodes where he did receive credit.

EDIT: I see that Dennis was also in an episode of MPI.

Fleet Admiral

#1339 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:44 am
owned went to charities.
Wow. Very interesting.
Hi Ivan,
Kam Fong always seems sad to me, especially his eyes. He might briefly smile or laugh but his default mode was sadness. Now we know why, losing his family that way.
You might have something there, Dobie. I think tragedy of that magnitude never really leaves you, even if you were able to pick up the pieces and find "happiness" again. It's all in the eyes. The eyes don't lie.

Though if you watched clips of Kam Fong in the 90s (especially at the Five-O reunion in 1996) he acted extremely gregarious and outgoing and joking left and right, totally unlike his Chin Ho character. In fact his laughter and personality were very infectious! I think he was needling Zulu about something. :lol: He seemed genuinely happy. You can find those clips on YouTube I'm sure or over on Mike Quigley's extensive Five-O page: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/mahalo-report.htm

Fleet Admiral

#1340 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:03 pm Number One with a Bullet

Two parter... with a name like that... I was excited.

Turns out I was singin' the blues. :lol:

It was just okay. Slow moving. Kinda boring.

Very cool having Yvonne Elliman guest star. Enjoyed the music (The Hawaiian song in the Church was great). Even the old Disco. Nostalgic.

And the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWlvYpJ5pRo

Otherwise, I didn't like the episode much. Dragged and wasn't very exciting.

5/10

MPI: Nehemiah Persoff, Jimmy Borges, Winston Char

I think the thugs were:
1. The Hawaiian with the Afro in "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii" although don't see him in credits.
2. Walter Omori (who we've discussed before) that never gets credited for any of his appearances for some reason.
Yep, it's slow-moving alright. All about the mob moving in on the music industry. It's not exciting enough for a single episode but they turned it into a 2-parter. It's one I like to skip. The plus of course is all the disco music (for nostalgia's sake at least) and both Ross Martin and Nehemiah Persoff are great as the rival mafiosos. This is the first of four appearances for Ross Martin playing Tony Alika who is head of the Kumu (Hawaiian mafia that is anti-haole). I guess Cappy Pahoa (played by Manu Tupou earlier) has been ousted as head of the Kumu. He was more friendly with Five-O. Alika not so much. Ross Martin does some very good pidgin but then Martin was an expert at dialects and accents and all that good stuff. If you've ever seen him in THE WILD, WILD WEST then you know he could do just about any accent under the sun! Maybe he doesn't look very Hawaiian but I always liked his attempts at Hawaiian pidgin. Also Jack Lord and Persoff are great in that scene where McGarrett tells him what makes him tick and why he became a cop. Because of "bastards like him". Great scene!

I liked Yvonne Elliman too as well as her singing. She seemed like a really sweet character. James Darren was good too. As well as all the goons. I mean from an acting standpoint this episode is pretty good, it's just that I don't care all that much about the mob moving in on the music industry and this being a 2-parter. So yeah, not crazy about this one.

The church where Elliman was singing is the Cathedral of St. Andrew in Honolulu (next to the State Capitol Bldg and Iolani Palace) and you probably remember it from MPI. It's where TM and Michelle have their rendezvous in "Memories are Forever" and also where TM "marries" Katherine Cannon in "I Do?"

I see you posted a link to Don Ho's "Tiny Bubbles". Was that really in the episode? I just remember all the disco stuff by the Bee-Gees and Elliman's singing.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1341 Post by T.Q. »

No, the link is to Don Ho's "My Little Grass Shack".

It's the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a song Sally sings with McGarrett there.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#1342 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:06 pm No, the link is to Don Ho's "My Little Grass Shack".

Oh I see. The video says Tiny Bubbles but the song is "Little Grass Shack". Funny that's what Tony Alika says in a later episode when McG pays him a visit... he says "welcome to my leetle grass shack". :D

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1343 Post by Sam »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:06 pm No, the link is to Don Ho's "My Little Grass Shack".

Hey T.Q.
Here is a video from one of the HFO pages..

https://fiveohomepage.com/bullet/NOWAB-TV-sally.htm
If you click "here" and return to the main page..there are clips from the filming..

The club was located at 226 Lewers st..The ground floor is an ABC store.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1344 Post by T.Q. »

Sam wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:16 am

Hey T.Q.
Here is a video from one of the HFO pages..

https://fiveohomepage.com/bullet/NOWAB-TV-sally.htm
If you click "here" and return to the main page..there are clips from the filming..

The club was located at 226 Lewers st..The ground floor is an ABC store.
Excellent.

Cool seeing a few of those filming clips.

Thanks.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1345 Post by Sam »

Hi T.Q.

Here is a video from The Cellar/Captain Nemo's/Sally's..
Not much to see after the 3:30 mark..It does verify the location..Crazy crazy...Braddah Kimo appears at the 2:12 and 2:23 mark...Some of the old timers will remember him..

https://youtu.be/8Hwi93Y5Hxs

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1346 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Sam wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:14 am Hi T.Q.

Not much to see after the 3:30 mark..It does verify the location..Crazy crazy...Braddah Kimo appears at the 2:12 and 2:23 mark...Some of the old timers will remember him..

Braddah Kimo the legend, so that's what he looks like. I had always envisioned him as a gone to seed Pugsley Addams, living in his parents basement.
He just looks like some average person. So why did he pretend to be some kine Hawaiian "radical"? Did you hang out with him at The Cellar, or was he some well known
local figure?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1347 Post by T.Q. »

The Meighan Conspiracy

I liked this one.

Bit lighter episode with the music reflecting that.

Mr. Brady (Robert Reed) did a good job.

I like the 'battle of wits' episodes.

Arrogant criminal thinking they're so smart and McGarrett just a 'pussycat'. Always their downfall. :lol:

MPI: Bill Ogilvie

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1348 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:45 am

Braddah Kimo the legend, so that's what he looks like. I had always envisioned him as a gone to seed Pugsley Addams, living in his parents basement.
He just looks like some average person. So why did he pretend to be some kine Hawaiian "radical"? Did you hang out with him at The Cellar, or was he some well known
local figure?
I remember Kimo VERY well. We had more than a few conversations, but I don’t think he was a radical. I think he was arguing that the view many American visitors have of Hawaii as a paradise is not what many lifetime residents, Hawaiian or otherwise, feel about the circumstances for them on a day to day basis. He also commented frequently on assumptions non-locals would make that were inaccurate or flat out wrong.

That said, I think he wasn’t very tactful in his comments, but they were based on the feelings that many locals have for the tourist-based economy that exists there. Millions of visitors bring the state much revenue, but it comes with many downsides for those who live there and aren’t just on vacation. Hawaii isn’t unique in this way. Then there’s the land issue for native Hawaiians…. I won’t get into that here. :(

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1349 Post by Sam »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:45 am

local figure?
Hi Luther..
Bruddah Kimo was on a Google MPI forum prior to posting here...At onetime he worked for TikiTv as a reporter out and about recording local events..He also owned a tiki store in Socal.He posted to YouTube as kimonui.

https://youtu.be/yRNE2HrvuTg

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1350 Post by Sam »

Info on Captain Nemo's..Sally's club from Number one with a Bullet and a MPI connection.
This was Fred Piluso's first club purchase..He opened Scruples Beach Club in 1983 that was a hangout for the MPI cast and crew.

Piluso opened his first club, Captain Nemo's, beneath the Imperial Hawaii Hotel in the early 1970s 

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2002/0 ... ndex6.html