Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#526 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm Lol

Pretty rare to post seconds apart. :lol:

Something else I’ve never mentioned.

The little quick “Batman” music between scenes in some episodes. I like it.
Wow! :shock: Just a second apart!

When you say "Batman music" do you mean the rapid "fast-forward" (for lack of a better term) transition between scenes? It's interesting because I usually just take that for granted. Don't even notice it anymore. It's just such a part of the show. But now that you mention BATMAN I think I may have noticed it there too, but then I've never really sat down to watch an entire episode. Too "cornball" for me? :lol: Is it exactly the same music used on both shows?

When I was growing up I was a HUGE fan of BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES in the 90s. That was my after-school staple. Couldn't miss an episode! Never cared for any other Batman interpretation - not the 60s show, nor the Burton or Schumacher or Nolan films. There was only one Batman and that was Kevin Conroy and only one Joker - Mark Hamill! Same with the rest of the rogues gallery.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#527 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:46 am
T.Q. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:46 pm Lol

Pretty rare to post seconds apart. :lol:

Something else I’ve never mentioned.

The little quick “Batman” music between scenes in some episodes. I like it.
Wow! :shock: Just a second apart!

When you say "Batman music" do you mean the rapid "fast-forward" (for lack of a better term) transition between scenes? It's interesting because I usually just take that for granted. Don't even notice it anymore. It's just such a part of the show. But now that you mention BATMAN I think I may have noticed it there too, but then I've never really sat down to watch an entire episode. Too "cornball" for me? :lol: Is it exactly the same music used on both shows?

When I was growing up I was a HUGE fan of BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES in the 90s. That was my after-school staple. Couldn't miss an episode! Never cared for any other Batman interpretation - not the 60s show, nor the Burton or Schumacher or Nolan films. There was only one Batman and that was Kevin Conroy and only one Joker - Mark Hamill! Same with the rest of the rogues gallery.
When I first started teaching and coaching in ‘96 several of my basketball players talked about Batman: the Animated Series. Never saw it myself, but I do remember them talking about Mark Hamill voicing the Joker. I had watched the 60’s series reruns as a kid and the Tim Burton movie came out when I was in high school. I guess you’re a little younger than me if you watched it after school! :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#528 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:45 pm Skinhead

Solid episode.

Bold for its time.

Rape episodes of shows make me so uneasy because I have two girls.

The subject matter itself so disturbing. They did it well though.

Good twists and turns on the bad guy and the story.

I loved Kono’s righteous indignation at what he said about the rape. Again, very bold for its time.

I’m gonna miss the Big Hawaiian.
Oops, sorry. Missed this one. I thought you were slacking so I was in the middle of building a newer stronger bamboo cage.

Agreed, a powerful and disturbing episode. Very bold for its time, especially when you still had BEWITCHED, THE BRADY BUNCH, PARTRIDGE FAMILY running on the other channels. Of course you also had ALL IN THE FAMILY and MARY TYLER MOORE so TV was definitely changing. We've had a few edgy episodes on this show up to this point but this one was definitely the edgiest one yet!! As you say, I love Kono losing it and lunging at the skinhead. Might be his best moment in the entire show! He honestly wasn't used much (mostly just a "yes, boss" type) which I think he resented but hey that's how the show was written. It wasn't a very character-driven show, especially for the supporting cast. Basically it was a "crime of the week" show. Which no one did better, by the way. But the emphasis was always going to be on McGarrett and the rest were just relegated to doing his "bidding" LOL. Though to be fair Danno got a few episodes that were centered on him. Even Chin got 3 important ones (seasons 2, 5, 10). But not poor Kono. :( Ok, actually there was "The Ransom" in season 3 so maybe that one. But mostly he was used to break down doors. :|

Anyway, like I said earlier, season 4 is where the show got edgier as TV started to push the envelope as to what was acceptable. This episode is a prime example of this. There's another one coming up shortly about a transvestite. :shock: I won't say more. And you already saw the one where Vic Morrow was trying to "molest" John Ritter. :lol: Didn't Ritter call Morrow an "old queen"? Or is that from a later episode? :lol: Anyhoo, I digress. Did you notice that Lee Paul who played the skinhead actually played a very sensitive peacenik in the season 1 episode "Not That Much Different"? He's barely recognizable there because he has a head of curly hair, not bald like here. But it's the same guy. Loved the twist when we find out the truth about the skinhead's condition and who the real rapist was!!! Also Kwan Hi Lim as a very oily lawyer - well done! He was a judge in real life. Second appearance by Glenn Cannon as D.A. John Manicote.

Fleet Admiral

#529 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:15 am When I first started teaching and coaching in ‘96 several of my basketball players talked about Batman: the Animated Series. Never saw it myself, but I do remember them talking about Mark Hamill voicing the Joker. I had watched the 60’s series reruns as a kid and the Tim Burton movie came out when I was in high school. I guess you’re a little younger than me if you watched it after school! :lol:
Yep, a little younger. :) But I was in middle school/high school at that point. I still remember the first episode I saw - "I've Got Batman in My Basement" with the Penguin, voiced by actor/songwriter Paul Williams. The Penguin immediately became my favorite villain. Was chomping at the bit for years to see BATMAN RETURNS where Danny DeVito played the Penguin. When I finally saw it... massive disappointment. He was a monster, a freak in that one. Not the well-spoken, cultured villain that I loved from the animated series. The best thing about that movie was Christopher Walken but that's a given. Also really wanted to see the '89 BATMAN and Jack Nicholson's take on the Joker. When I got around to it... meh. Not a patch on the animated version and Hamill's voice!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#530 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:29 pm
Oops, sorry. Missed this one. I thought you were slacking so I was in the middle of building a newer stronger bamboo cage.

Agreed, a powerful and disturbing episode. Very bold for its time, especially when you still had BEWITCHED, THE BRADY BUNCH, PARTRIDGE FAMILY running on the other channels. Of course you also had ALL IN THE FAMILY and MARY TYLER MOORE so TV was definitely changing. We've had a few edgy episodes on this show up to this point but this one was definitely the edgiest one yet!! As you say, I love Kono losing it and lunging at the skinhead. Might be his best moment in the entire show! He honestly wasn't used much (mostly just a "yes, boss" type) which I think he resented but hey that's how the show was written. It wasn't a very character-driven show, especially for the supporting cast. Basically it was a "crime of the week" show. Which no one did better, by the way. But the emphasis was always going to be on McGarrett and the rest were just relegated to doing his "bidding" LOL. Though to be fair Danno got a few episodes that were centered on him. Even Chin got 3 important ones (seasons 2, 5, 10). But not poor Kono. :( Ok, actually there was "The Ransom" in season 3 so maybe that one. But mostly he was used to break down doors. :|

Anyway, like I said earlier, season 4 is where the show got edgier as TV started to push the envelope as to what was acceptable. This episode is a prime example of this. There's another one coming up shortly about a transvestite. :shock: I won't say more. And you already saw the one where Vic Morrow was trying to "molest" John Ritter. :lol: Didn't Ritter call Morrow an "old queen"? Or is that from a later episode? :lol: Anyhoo, I digress. Did you notice that Lee Paul who played the skinhead actually played a very sensitive peacenik in the season 1 episode "Not That Much Different"? He's barely recognizable there because he has a head of curly hair, not bald like here. But it's the same guy. Loved the twist when we find out the truth about the skinhead's condition and who the real rapist was!!! Also Kwan Hi Lim as a very oily lawyer - well done! He was a judge in real life. Second appearance by Glenn Cannon as D.A. John Manicote.
Enjoy your breakdowns.

Ever submit to IMDb?

Edit: Unless one of these guys is you.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0598142/re ... _=tt_ov_rt

They do some good reviews whoever those fans are.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#531 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:15 am When I first started teaching and coaching in ‘96 several of my basketball players talked about Batman: the Animated Series. Never saw it myself, but I do remember them talking about Mark Hamill voicing the Joker. I had watched the 60’s series reruns as a kid and the Tim Burton movie came out when I was in high school. I guess you’re a little younger than me if you watched it after school! :lol:
Yep, a little younger. :) But I was in middle school/high school at that point. I still remember the first episode I saw - "I've Got Batman in My Basement" with the Penguin, voiced by actor/songwriter Paul Williams. The Penguin immediately became my favorite villain. Was chomping at the bit for years to see BATMAN RETURNS where Danny DeVito played the Penguin. When I finally saw it... massive disappointment. He was a monster, a freak in that one. Not the well-spoken, cultured villain that I loved from the animated series. The best thing about that movie was Christopher Walken but that's a given. Also really wanted to see the '89 BATMAN and Jack Nicholson's take on the Joker. When I got around to it... meh. Not a patch on the animated version and Hamill's voice!
My players really liked it. That’s for sure, and they were mostly juniors and seniors on the varsity team. Sounds like it had some pretty good voice actors. I saw a documentary about Paul Williams several years ago. He was a local kid, growing up here in Long Beach. I kid you not, it was called Paul Williams: Still Alive, :lol: but it was pretty good actually. You’re into film music so you might enjoy it. He’s had an interesting life.

It also showed his expensive home in Alamitos Bay in the Naples Canals here. I had no idea he lived here and I had paddled through the canals a hundred times at least. He’s since moved, I believe. Vicki Lawrence lived there too and had a Niiice sailboat, like 70 feet! I did see her on it a couple of times. There were some others I forget. Naples is a small neighborhood in Long Beach that’s pretty private, on the water, and not far from LA and Hollywood. I can see why it might be appealing to celebrities who like boating, as opposed to the beaches of Malibu, or the Hollywood Hills.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples,_Long_Beach

Fleet Admiral

#532 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:42 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:29 pm

Enjoy your breakdowns.

Ever submit to IMDb?

Edit: Unless one of these guys is you.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0598142/re ... _=tt_ov_rt

They do some good reviews whoever those fans are.
Actually no I haven't written any IMDB reviews for Five-O or any other show. But I do have quite a few movie reviews out there. And yes I did enjoy reading those episode reviews after viewing an episode. That MartinHafer guy reviewed every episode of this show and MANNIX too and I think MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE and STAR TREK, a few STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO's and maybe some KOJAK's. I see his name a lot. Bottom line is he does a LOT of old TV show reviews!

Back when IMDB had discussion forums with threads like this site we did a watch-along of season 9 and then season 10 (this is when the DVD's for those seasons had come out) and wrote up our own reviews for each episode. I managed to save those on my local computer before all was lost. Saved the entire thread of all the reviews. But that's it.

Fleet Admiral

#533 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm My players really liked it. That’s for sure, and they were mostly juniors and seniors on the varsity team. Sounds like it had some pretty good voice actors. I saw a documentary about Paul Williams several years ago. He was a local kid, growing up here in Long Beach. I kid you not, it was called Paul Williams: Still Alive, :lol: but it was pretty good actually. You’re into film music so you might enjoy it. He’s had an interesting life.
I'm not surprised they loved it. It was a cartoon but with adult sensibilities. Actually it's hard to think of it as a cartoon because it certainly wasn't Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry. It was pretty groundbreaking art deco animation which revolutionized animation for the small screen. What's interesting is that you could watch it as a kid and then grow up and it still holds up extremely well. Things you didn't pick up on as a kid you pick up on as an adult. The whole thing had this 40s noir feel to it which will go over a kid's head. Some episodes were pretty chilling, maybe not too appropriate for some youngsters. And unlike regular cartoons which relied solely on voice actors who specialized in animated stuff, this show used actual character actors to do the voices - Mark Hamill, Paul Williams, John Glover, Michael Ansara, Adrienne Barbeau, Henry Silva, John Vernon, Ed Asner, David Warner, George Dzundza, Richard Moll, Roddy McDowall, Marilu Henner, Helen Slater, Adam West, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. and many others. The show attracted high caliber character actors which suited the parts they were given perfectly! I almost feel like sometimes the actors were chosen first and then the characterizations of the animated characters were molded to fit the actor's strengths. But we've digressed. :roll:

Interesting info on Paul Williams. I remember him well for playing the title role of "Stringer" in the season 11 Five-O episode. He did a very good job with that role. I'll always remember his schlubby appearance and short stature. A unique look he had! He was also Little Enos Burdette in SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT! :D

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#534 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I've only got season 2 of Hawaii Five-O, so I can't comment on later episodes. About 5 years ago, I ordered the whole box set, all seasons - from Amazon. That's when Amazon was still absolute crap in Canada. They told me after ordering, that they expected it to be available in two months. After waiting for two months, they said it would be available in one month. One month later, they said it should be available in three months! After that, they just cancelled the order and said it was unavailable. I said, "Well, f--k it!" and never bothered getting it. It's amazing how much Amazon has improved in Canada in the last year or so.

I think Hawaii Five-O has the same problem as other series, like The Streets of San Francisco - a little too much harsh realism. I think TV should be an escape from tedious reality, not submersion into it. I get enough realism in real life.

Fleet Admiral

#535 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 pm I've only got season 2 of Hawaii Five-O, so I can't comment on later episodes. About 5 years ago, I ordered the whole box set, all seasons - from Amazon. That's when Amazon was still absolute crap in Canada. They told me after ordering, that they expected it to be available in two months. After waiting for two months, they said it would be available in one month. One month later, they said it should be available in three months! After that, they just cancelled the order and said it was unavailable. I said, "Well, f--k it!" and never bothered getting it. It's amazing how much Amazon has improved in Canada in the last year or so.

I think Hawaii Five-O has the same problem as other series, like The Streets of San Francisco - a little too much harsh realism. I think TV should be an escape from tedious reality, not submersion into it. I get enough realism in real life.
Haha, that's funny because compared to the "harsh" shows today on cable (none of which I watch) stuff like Five-O and Streets of San Fran is like a walk in the park, a reminder of simpler times. I guess it's hard for me to call these shows harsh when stuff like Game of Thrones is out there, which literally wallows in pain and misery and darkness and despair. Even the way modern shows are photographed and filtered through this gray and depressing color grade. No thanks, man. Give me some bright natural colors of shows back in the day. Where I don't have to see decomposing corpses and other minutiae of the human anatomy and be in a catatonic state of depression for an hour as I suffer with the characters I'm watching. :?

Pahonu

#536 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:07 pm My players really liked it. That’s for sure, and they were mostly juniors and seniors on the varsity team. Sounds like it had some pretty good voice actors. I saw a documentary about Paul Williams several years ago. He was a local kid, growing up here in Long Beach. I kid you not, it was called Paul Williams: Still Alive, :lol: but it was pretty good actually. You’re into film music so you might enjoy it. He’s had an interesting life.
I'm not surprised they loved it. It was a cartoon but with adult sensibilities. Actually it's hard to think of it as a cartoon because it certainly wasn't Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry. It was pretty groundbreaking art deco animation which revolutionized animation for the small screen. What's interesting is that you could watch it as a kid and then grow up and it still holds up extremely well. Things you didn't pick up on as a kid you pick up on as an adult. The whole thing had this 40s noir feel to it which will go over a kid's head. Some episodes were pretty chilling, maybe not too appropriate for some youngsters. And unlike regular cartoons which relied solely on voice actors who specialized in animated stuff, this show used actual character actors to do the voices - Mark Hamill, Paul Williams, John Glover, Michael Ansara, Adrienne Barbeau, Henry Silva, John Vernon, Ed Asner, David Warner, George Dzundza, Richard Moll, Roddy McDowall, Marilu Henner, Helen Slater, Adam West, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. and many others. The show attracted high caliber character actors which suited the parts they were given perfectly! I almost feel like sometimes the actors were chosen first and then the characterizations of the animated characters were molded to fit the actor's strengths. But we've digressed. :roll:

Interesting info on Paul Williams. I remember him well for playing the title role of "Stringer" in the season 11 Five-O episode. He did a very good job with that role. I'll always remember his schlubby appearance and short stature. A unique look he had! He was also Little Enos Burdette in SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT! :D
That’s an impressive list of voice actors! I’m actually watching an episode of Police Story right now with Michael Ansara! It’s called Requiem for an Informer and it also has Marjoe Gortner. Ansara is also great in the Rockford episode Joey Blue Eyes.

I’ve never really gotten into any dramatic cartoons. I’ve got no real reason why that’s so. I love the old Looney Tunes and Merrie Melody shorts and some of the newer comedies like Family Guy. I guess I just think of cartoons as good for a laugh. I’m not limiting myself so maybe someday? I do enjoy film noir and neo-noir so maybe I’ll check out Batman.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#537 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:29 pm
Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 pm I think Hawaii Five-O has the same problem as other series, like The Streets of San Francisco - a little too much harsh realism. I think TV should be an escape from tedious reality, not submersion into it. I get enough realism in real life.
Haha, that's funny because compared to the "harsh" shows today on cable (none of which I watch) stuff like Five-O and Streets of San Fran is like a walk in the park, a reminder of simpler times. I guess it's hard for me to call these shows harsh when stuff like Game of Thrones is out there, which literally wallows in pain and misery and darkness and despair. Even the way modern shows are photographed and filtered through this gray and depressing color grade. No thanks, man. Give me some bright natural colors of shows back in the day. Where I don't have to see decomposing corpses and other minutiae of the human anatomy and be in a catatonic state of depression for an hour as I suffer with the characters I'm watching. :?
To me, TV is dead. It died with analogue broadcasts (and it was on its death bed long before). I've never even heard of any of the modern shows - except when I randomly see a Blu-ray cover, something like "Slutz - Season 8" and I think, "This awful crap went 8 seasons??" (...then I see the covers for Seasons 9 and 10)

When "Game of Thrones" was in its first season, I got the DVD set from the library to find out what all the hype was about. I couldn't get through the first episode. All I remember is a midget in bed with two topless bimbos. (...not that I mind topless bimbos, but the story was unbelievable rubbish, filled with propaganda)

Fleet Admiral

#538 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:34 pm All I remember is a midget in bed with two topless bimbos. (...not that I mind topless bimbos, but the story was unbelievable rubbish, filled with propaganda)
Too funny!! :lol: But unfortunately that's what passes for groundbreaking, history-making television these days - the thing that is supposedly attracting movie actors to leave the big screen and switch over to the small screen because "TV today is better than the movies". :roll: If you ask me both the small screen and the big screen are dead these days. On the small screen you have dark fantasy rubbish like this and on the big screen you have endless CGI rubbish and superheroes. How many Spidermans are we on now? Wasn't Tobey Maguire playing the part just like 10 years ago? We've had at least 2 other new actors since then. Don't you need to give it at least a few decades before attempting a reboot? And why do we care about any of this??? Ant-Man, Toad-Man, Fungus-Man. Let me know when they release Ivan-Man... might be interested.

Did you hear that they remade WALKER TEXAS RANGER starring one of those heartthrobs from those popular vampire shows? Sheesh! I hope Chuck Norris comes over and gives the guy a well-deserved roundhouse kick to the head. Oh, and Walker's brother (or is it cousin) is of course gay. Agenda alert!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#539 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:27 pmHow many Spidermans are we on now? Wasn't Tobey Maguire playing the part just like 10 years ago? We've had at least 2 other new actors since then. Don't you need to give it at least a few decades before attempting a reboot? And why do we care about any of this??? Ant-Man, Toad-Man, Fungus-Man. Let me know when they release Ivan-Man... might be interested.
Yeah, pretty soon we'll see "Zebra-Dude" and "She-Man". Then there will be the next generation of "gender-fluid" superheroes, with "body-positive" (fat) costumes, their "super powers" being the ability to "break the white male patriarchy" with a single "bitch-stare" while eating a super-size bag of Doritos.

I won't be watching.

Pahonu

#540 Post by Pahonu »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:07 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:27 pmHow many Spidermans are we on now? Wasn't Tobey Maguire playing the part just like 10 years ago? We've had at least 2 other new actors since then. Don't you need to give it at least a few decades before attempting a reboot? And why do we care about any of this??? Ant-Man, Toad-Man, Fungus-Man. Let me know when they release Ivan-Man... might be interested.
Yeah, pretty soon we'll see "Zebra-Dude" and "She-Man". Then there will be the next generation of "gender-fluid" superheroes, with "body-positive" (fat) costumes, their "super powers" being the ability to "break the white male patriarchy" with a single "bitch-stare" while eating a super-size bag of Doritos.

I won't be watching.

Dang guys! I don’t care for the super hero movies or hobbits or dragons either, but there’s still some interesting stuff out there. Kind of sound like the cranky old neighbor telling us to get off his lawn. You guys are both younger than me!... I think. :lol: There’s so much to choose from now. Way more than in the network years. Sure, a lot of it is repetitive and derivative, but honestly, there are a lot of shows from earlier that don’t hold up at all... and no one watches them anymore. That’s really the majority of the old shows. Take a look at TV listings from the 50’s and 60’s. There’s a lot of programming there that is long forgotten.

I’ve found some interesting things from the last 10 or 15 years during the pandemic. I was busy with other things (kids!) and missed them. I watched the whole series Chuck and enjoyed it. I’m watching Monk right now. I have some family in Portland and took a look at Portlandia. It’s weird but strangely accurate from my experiences being there.

I think it’s a net positive that there’s so much to choose from. Creators don’t have to completely cater to the masses as in past network shows. It means there’s probably lots of weird quirky stuff that we might not care for. If you stop looking completely though, you’ll miss the gems that exist. I just don’t believe there’s NOTHING of interest being created today. Humanity suddenly just lost the ability to create?!?!?