The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2296 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:The Brady Bunch house is apparently worthy of restoring back "to its 1970s glory" and there were plans to "renovate the interior to make it resemble the set of the TV programme".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45092361

WHY NOT THE ROBIN MASTERS' ESTATE??!

Once again, DAMN YOU, MARTY NESBITT!!!
I belong to a 1980s group on Facebook, and it has been flooded with news about this house. Every time I see it pop up, and all the teeth gnashing that goes along with it, I want to scream. How about an ACTUAL historic property that is ALSO a cultural icon??
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#2297 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:I belong to a 1980s group on Facebook, and it has been flooded with news about this house.
What does this "1980's group" do? Does it have any political objectives to overthrow society and return everything to the 1980's? If so, mark me down for a contribution.

Actually, there is no period for me called, "the 1980's" - because I always break it up into "early 80's" and "late 80's". The two periods are quite different. The early 80's were like a continuation (and improvement) of the 70's, with new technology that held hope for the future of society. The late 80's felt like something went wrong - crime and degeneracy increased, technology became more evil, rap music got popular (and sadly wasn't a fad) and hairstyles became ridiculous. (I summarized a bit there, but you get the idea.)

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#2298 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

Faith and Begorrah!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2299 Post by K Hale »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
K Hale wrote:I belong to a 1980s group on Facebook, and it has been flooded with news about this house.
What does this "1980's group" do? Does it have any political objectives to overthrow society and return everything to the 1980's? If so, mark me down for a contribution.

Actually, there is no period for me called, "the 1980's" - because I always break it up into "early 80's" and "late 80's". The two periods are quite different. The early 80's were like a continuation (and improvement) of the 70's, with new technology that held hope for the future of society. The late 80's felt like something went wrong - crime and degeneracy increased, technology became more evil, rap music got popular (and sadly wasn't a fad) and hairstyles became ridiculous. (I summarized a bit there, but you get the idea.)
It's about 50% nostalgia and 50% people my age acting like old farts talking about how everything is terrible now. I'm sometimes tempted to drop it but then someone starts reminiscing about Trapper Keepers or BMX bikes and I get sucked in again.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#2300 Post by perfectlykevin »

I'm curious if anyone has any new pics of the Estate? I'm wondering what is going on. I keep visiting Google Earth and doing a fly over. At least it is still there for the time being.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2301 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I'll be there 1st October and will try to snap some pics.

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#2302 Post by perfectlykevin »

Awesome thanks!! I won't be able to make it for at least another year :(

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#2303 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

perfectlykevin wrote:I'm curious if anyone has any new pics of the Estate? I'm wondering what is going on. I keep visiting Google Earth and doing a fly over. At least it is still there for the time being.
Zoom in

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmJ23upA4Ke ... _copy_link
Faith and Begorrah!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2304 Post by K Hale »

Fr. Paddy McGuinness wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:I'm curious if anyone has any new pics of the Estate? I'm wondering what is going on. I keep visiting Google Earth and doing a fly over. At least it is still there for the time being.
Zoom in

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmJ23upA4Ke ... _copy_link
That picture showed up on Facebook. A surprising number of commenters did not know what it was.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#2305 Post by perfectlykevin »

I saw that pic awhile back, looks like the demolition is largely out of the way. I was curious if anything has happened since then

robbie308
Lieutenant

#2306 Post by robbie308 »

Another picture which I saw on Instagram recently:

Here is the link to the complete post
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmch3HXnwvu/

Still such a sad view...
:cry:
"Oh – my – god!"

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#2307 Post by Kevster »

The gatehouse still stands. How about the "guest" / boathouse?
Trust Me!!!

NotthatRick
Admiral

#2308 Post by NotthatRick »

Sad, indeed. :(

midnightx
Commander

#2309 Post by midnightx »

Kevster wrote:The gatehouse still stands. How about the "guest" / boathouse?
The gatehouse seemed to be the structure in the best condition; perhaps it will remain permanently standing on the property. It will be interesting to see what Nesbitt ultimately does with the property. Will anyone be surprised if a new estate is erected?

knight8882
Lieutenant

#2310 Post by knight8882 »

As long as the gatehouse and boathouse still stand, and the fact that the original foundation of the main house is still there, I will continue to hold out some hope that the main house will be recreated and the other buildings restored, instead of the land divided up into lots and redeveloped.
Magnum, remember what I told you about Robin Masters?

I lied.