property/seawall article

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: property/seawall article

#31 Post by Pahonu »

Gorilla Mask wrote:Again, concerning the Beach main access, here is a shot from 2.19 "Double Jeopardy":

https://ibb.co/ZWng2rh

Indeed, you can see that the upper steps are barely covered by sand.

Compared to this:

https://ibb.co/b78wk7B

and this (from the recent article):

https://ibb.co/zJzckd1

the sand depleting (around 4-5 feet is quite obvious. :?
Great pictures for comparison, thanks! Very often in Magnum you couldn’t see the beach steps at all as the sand was heavily deposited. Often they were partially covered as you show. The last photo is such a dramatic change. I’ve been a forum member for over 10 years and when I first joined and people showed their photos of Pahonu from visits, it was showing some erosion. People talked about how the ledge that Magnum sat on often was higher off the sand by a foot or two. Now it’s 5 to 6 feet up like wall. Most of that sand erosion has happened since then. I mentioned accelerating erosion...

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by K Hale »

I did a bunch of comparison shots and posted them in one of the threads here last year. I’m too lazy to try to find the post again, but let me link to the same thing that I did on Facebook. This should be publicly viewable: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2200540 ... 170300183/
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hats of K Hale ! it is self explanatory ! :D
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote:
Here’s some information about her:

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... &start=135

https://ibb.co/SRnF7zv

I messed some stuff up. Her first husband, Moses Grossman was the dentist. She later remarried and became Wall.

Having an estate of that size necessitated having servants. First, because of its shear size and second, it was not the primary residence. Having servants was still relatively common for the well to do into the 20’s. The decline began during the Great Depression and after WWII, became far less common.

Edit:

Just read that second husband Ormond Wall was a dental surgeon and that Moses Grossman, the dentist, had been in the islands since the monarchy, before it became a territory of the US in 1893. The real money seemed to be on Julia’s side from her Chicago family.

Here’s the environmental study for the sea wall permit request. It is looong but it is packed with information!!!

http://oeqc2.doh.hawaii.gov/Doc_Library ... Repair.pdf
That's a wealth of info there on Eve Anderson and her parents and grandparents. I enjoyed reading it, Pahonu. Thanks! Do we know if she ever married? It doesn't sound like it. That explains all the free time she had on her hands and all the adventures she's been on - skiiing across glaciers, kayaking from Moloakai to O'ahu, swimming to Rabbit Island, doing the Triathlon, tennis, golf, climbing coconut palms, sheesh - she's a regular Jane Bond!!! :lol:

Pahonu

#35 Post by Pahonu »

Yeah, thanks KHale!

In the shot with Lynn Moody the sand looks almost flat all the way to the gate. You can also see clearly the step up to the grass level of the lawn. I’ve always wondered why the design was that way. It would seem much simpler to continue the lawn to the sea wall and have steps down from there to the sand. The Shriners Club next door does that as do pretty much every set of steps to the sand that I’ve seen along the coast near me. Instead, the sand with the steps under slopes up to the gate and inside is a depression like a sandbox in the lawn. It also has the two curving walls on each side of the gate steps leading into the lawn. It’s really a stepped ramp by definition. It appears each step is quite wide and also slopes a bit. It’s a unique design for sure.

Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Looking at the comparison pics that KHale posted on FB, if you look at the one with Bibi Kiamani (Lynne Moody) or the one with Higgins playing his PacMan, and then you look at the comparison pics you'll see the seawall to their right (where it curves on the beach) has what looks like an additional slab of concrete jutting out and what looks like a drain. I assumed this would be the drain that goes from Kalanianaole Hwy and empties any runoff water onto the beach. You only see this extra slab with the drain in the present-day pics, not those from the show. Was it really all under the sand back then and now completely exposed? If so, how did the water empty out? Wouldn't the drain have gotten clogged by the sand? Or would the water just seep into the sand? It just doesn't make sense that the drain would be covered by the sand like that for decades. You'd expect the drain to be in a place where it wouldn't be obstructed like this.

Pahonu

#37 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
Here’s some information about her:

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... &start=135

https://ibb.co/SRnF7zv

I messed some stuff up. Her first husband, Moses Grossman was the dentist. She later remarried and became Wall.

Having an estate of that size necessitated having servants. First, because of its shear size and second, it was not the primary residence. Having servants was still relatively common for the well to do into the 20’s. The decline began during the Great Depression and after WWII, became far less common.

Edit:

Just read that second husband Ormond Wall was a dental surgeon and that Moses Grossman, the dentist, had been in the islands since the monarchy, before it became a territory of the US in 1893. The real money seemed to be on Julia’s side from her Chicago family.

Here’s the environmental study for the sea wall permit request. It is looong but it is packed with information!!!

http://oeqc2.doh.hawaii.gov/Doc_Library ... Repair.pdf
That's a wealth of info there on Eve Anderson and her parents and grandparents. I enjoyed reading it, Pahonu. Thanks! Do we know if she ever married? It doesn't sound like it. That explains all the free time she had on her hands and all the adventures she's been on - skiiing across glaciers, kayaking from Moloakai to O'ahu, swimming to Rabbit Island, doing the Triathlon, tennis, golf, climbing coconut palms, sheesh - she's a regular Jane Bond!!! :lol:
She definitely was adventurous. I know nothing about her marital status, unfortunately.

Pahonu

#38 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Looking at the comparison pics that KHale posted on FB, if you look at the one with Bibi Kiamani (Lynne Moody) or the one with Higgins playing his PacMan, and then you look at the comparison pics you'll see the seawall to their right (where it curves on the beach) has what looks like an additional slab of concrete jutting out and what looks like a drain. I assumed this would be the drain that goes from Kalanianaole Hwy and empties any runoff water onto the beach. You only see this extra slab with the drain in the present-day pics, not those from the show. Was it really all under the sand back then and now completely exposed? If so, how did the water empty out? Wouldn't the drain have gotten clogged by the sand? Or would the water just seep into the sand? It just doesn't make sense that the drain would be covered by the sand like that for decades. You'd expect the drain to be in a place where it wouldn't be obstructed like this.
That is indeed the drain from the highway that runs through the estate and empties in the sand. Sand is very porous unlike soil or even aggregate and stone dust that’s laid under pavers. Sand won’t lock together and compact the same way. Think about wet sand on the beach. If you press your foot in it, the sand will push out the water and as it’s compacted, but as the pressure is removed, the water flows back in. It would work fine with the drain located there. Much of the water would simply percolate down through it. I believe the top of it can be seen in some episodes but it doesn’t look obviously like a drain and nothing like recent pictures.

Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Looking at the comparison pics that KHale posted on FB, if you look at the one with Bibi Kiamani (Lynne Moody) or the one with Higgins playing his PacMan, and then you look at the comparison pics you'll see the seawall to their right (where it curves on the beach) has what looks like an additional slab of concrete jutting out and what looks like a drain. I assumed this would be the drain that goes from Kalanianaole Hwy and empties any runoff water onto the beach. You only see this extra slab with the drain in the present-day pics, not those from the show. Was it really all under the sand back then and now completely exposed? If so, how did the water empty out? Wouldn't the drain have gotten clogged by the sand? Or would the water just seep into the sand? It just doesn't make sense that the drain would be covered by the sand like that for decades. You'd expect the drain to be in a place where it wouldn't be obstructed like this.
That is indeed the drain from the highway that runs through the estate and empties in the sand. Sand is very porous unlike soil or even aggregate and stone dust that’s laid under pavers. Sand won’t lock together and compact the same way. Think about wet sand on the beach. If you press your foot in it, the sand will push out the water and as it’s compacted, but as the pressure is removed, the water flows back in. It would work fine with the drain located there. Much of the water would simply percolate down through it. I believe the top of it can be seen in some episodes but it doesn’t look obviously like a drain and nothing like recent pictures.
That is interesting, thanks. It still seems weird to have a drain outlet buried under a beach of sand for decades. I just can't image it's the most effective way of having water run off. But what do I know? I wonder if when that piping was first laid there if that drain outlet actually wasn't under sand? Or was it designed that way, to always be under all that beach sand?

Also I noticed even when I was there how chipped that "lip" of the top of the seawall is. You know, where Magnum used to sit. In the old pics that "lip" is quite pronounced and gives that wall a nice look. Now pieces of the lip are missing or chipped or badly damaged. Wonder if the weather elements/water caused that? I mean it's concrete so I can't imagine weather/water doing that kind of damage in some 3+ decades time. But I can't think of another explanation. Vandalism? I doubt it.

Pahonu

#40 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
That is interesting, thanks. It still seems weird to have a drain outlet buried under a beach of sand for decades. I just can't image it's the most effective way of having water run off. But what do I know? I wonder if when that piping was first laid there if that drain outlet actually wasn't under sand? Or was it designed that way, to always be under all that beach sand?

Also I noticed even when I was there how chipped that "lip" of the top of the seawall is. You know, where Magnum used to sit. In the old pics that "lip" is quite pronounced and gives that wall a nice look. Now pieces of the lip are missing or chipped or badly damaged. Wonder if the weather elements/water caused that? I mean it's concrete so I can't imagine weather/water doing that kind of damage in some 3+ decades time. But I can't think of another explanation. Vandalism? I doubt it.
Concrete is porous and will absorb water if not sealed or otherwise protected. It’s likely caused by the rebar inside rusting from water infiltration, seawater making it worse. That causes the rebar to expand and blow out the concrete near the surface or in areas of thinner concrete like the lip. It’s also called spalling. Here’s some information:

https://www.robsonforensic.com/articles ... t-article/

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#41 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote:Concrete is porous and will absorb water if not sealed or otherwise protected. It’s likely caused by the rebar inside rusting from water infiltration, seawater making it worse. That causes the rebar to expand and blow out the concrete near the surface or in areas of thinner concrete like the lip. It’s also called spalling. Here’s some information:

Your knowledge of building and design never ceases to amaze me.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#42 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Pahonu wrote:Concrete is porous and will absorb water if not sealed or otherwise protected. It’s likely caused by the rebar inside rusting from water infiltration, seawater making it worse. That causes the rebar to expand and blow out the concrete near the surface or in areas of thinner concrete like the lip. It’s also called spalling. Here’s some information:

Your knowledge of building and design never ceases to amaze me.
Good to hear from you Styles! It’s been a little while. My father and most of his friends were in the trades and now I teach in an architecture and engineering academy at my high school. It was almost inevitable just by absorption! :lol:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by K Hale »

This is a set of my photos from my visit last February. If you scroll down, you get a good shot of the drain, plus a huge piece of rebar bending out from the seawall over by the guest house. Looks like it was pulled out. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2200540 ... 610710183/
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Good to hear from you Styles! It’s been a little while. My father and most of his friends were in the trades and now I teach in an architecture and engineering academy at my high school. It was almost inevitable just by absorption! :lol:
I'm around. It's been a busy summer working from home and being home camp counsellor for my kids! Even when I'm not here, I'm here in spirit! This article is a pretty interesting read, btw.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#45 Post by Pahonu »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Pahonu wrote: Good to hear from you Styles! It’s been a little while. My father and most of his friends were in the trades and now I teach in an architecture and engineering academy at my high school. It was almost inevitable just by absorption! :lol:
I'm around. It's been a busy summer working from home and being home camp counsellor for my kids! Even when I'm not here, I'm here in spirit! This article is a pretty interesting read, btw.
All I can say positively about the pandemic and quarantine is: so glad I have adult children! :lol: