The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

9NExtUpT
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2326 Post by 9NExtUpT »

willhclark wrote:So sad that Robins nest was torn down. Eve Anderson refused to get the property listed as a historic place. Heard her say she wanted to pay her taxes. Being registered as a historic place would have abated property taxes which she evidently wanted to pay.
midnightx wrote:It appears Eve let the home, particularly its interior, fall into disrepair. One wonders what that would have done to any attempt to have the property listed as a historic place.
So, basically, she wanted to fund coercive government at the cost of having her own roof fall in? Please tell me there's some kind of subtlety to her decision, something I'm not getting, and that it's not just another case of virtue signalling gone haywire. (What's next, welcoming in fighting-age male "refugees" who go on form rape gangs, as in Europe?)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2327 Post by Steve »

Does having a property listed in the Historic Register even preclude someone from paying property taxes? I lived in a loft in Chicago that was on the Historic Register as a former Shoe Factory building from the late 1800's and if they weren't paying property taxes they sure weren't giving us a break on the rent!

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#2328 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

I don’t like to talk politics on here, but she is a long time Republican. I think someone has their wires crossed.
Faith and Begorrah!

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2329 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:Does having a property listed in the Historic Register even preclude someone from paying property taxes? I lived in a loft in Chicago that was on the Historic Register as a former Shoe Factory building from the late 1800's and if they weren't paying property taxes they sure weren't giving us a break on the rent!
Hi Steve! :D

For Hawaii at least, the answer is yes, yes, yes and Y-E-S, yes! Well, it doesn't preclude them, but as I was researching the Alexander Estate, which is now divided into 3065 Diamond Head Rd. (1/3 of the original estate) & 3011 (2/3 of the original estate) to answer Ivan's questions (http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 302#p57288) I learned that the owners of 3065 which is on the registry, only paid $150 dollars in property tax this year. The owners of 3011, which is not on the registry, paid over $13,500! 3011 was even built before 3065, 1931 and 1937 respectively if I remember correctly.

I also want to point out that no one here knows why Eve did or did not choose to put Pahonu on the registry, probably never will, and it's a mute point, folks. :D

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2330 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Hi RG, it's me Crazy Ivan again! :D

Quick question about the aforementioned Haumaulu and Lanihau (what else, right? lol)... Any idea why Haumalu was registered as a historic property but Lanihau wasn't?? Especially since both used to be all one property/address.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2331 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:Hi RG, it's me Crazy Ivan again! :D

Quick question about the aforementioned Haumaulu and Lanihau (what else, right? lol)... Any idea why Haumalu was registered as a historic property but Lanihau wasn't?? Especially since both used to be all one property/address.
Haha you're not Krazy, Ivan! It's all very interesting! :D

However, your guess is as good as mine. Without hearing the answer directly from the owners of Lanihau, both current and past, I don't think we'll know for sure. I just read through the National Register of Historic Places nomination form for Haumalu and I understand the architectural and social historical reasons why they put the home on the registry, but Lanihau would certainly also qualify based on the same reasoning. As I mentioned before, Lanihau is actually older and was the part-time residence of the Alexanders. Haumalu was built by the Alexanders for their daughter & family. Maybe over the years too many alterations were made to Lanihau? Looking at the county records, I see there has been demolition, upgrades, additions, a pool, and of course the new building right along Diamond Head Rd. Or maybe it's simply because the owners didn't want to put it on the registry for some reason? Maybe the answer is addressed somewhere but I can't find it. We may never know why... just like Pahonu.

Unrelated, but this was noted on the nomination form... "The house originally had carved doors, which were unfortunately stolen while the house was unoccupied." I hope they're not referring to those gorgeous carved wood & glass front pocket doors but I found this and sadly, they appear to be just solid glass/wood frame now. :(

Fleet Admiral

#2332 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Or maybe it's simply because the owners didn't want to put it on the registry for some reason? Maybe the answer is addressed somewhere but I can't find it. We may never know why... just like Pahonu.
Maybe like Eve Anderson, they just wanted to pay taxes! :lol: Crazy, I know.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2333 Post by Pahonu »

I think this might be helpful in understanding the owner's decisions about these properties.

The Mills Act, which I'm familiar with through a friend's 1920's era home in a historic high-rise, was passed in the 1970's here in California and offers substantially lowered property tax rates for historically designated buildings in the state. However, with that designation comes some very strict regulations on exterior alterations to the structure. For example, my friend wanted to replace the windows facing the major street for sound deadening purposes. The double-paned replacement units had to be custom made to match as nothing even close to similar is in stock today. He only replaced the two in the bedroom rather than all six on that façade as each unit was about $3k installed. They work great, but that was the associated cost.

It is a powerful financial incentive for protecting the built environment, but it is totally by choice. Many people weigh the savings in taxes against the extra cost of restoring and maintaining the structure to that strict standard. It's a basic cost/benefit analysis, and of course, our passion for the show drives our feelings about Pahonu, not the financial realities.

I've attached a link to the property I mentioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Riviera

Fleet Admiral

#2334 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote:I think this might be helpful in understanding the owner's decisions about these properties.

The Mills Act, which I'm familiar with through a friend's 1920's era home in a historic high-rise, was passed in the 1970's here in California and offers substantially lowered property tax rates for historically designated buildings in the state. However, with that designation comes some very strict regulations on exterior alterations to the structure. For example, my friend wanted to replace the windows facing the major street for sound deadening purposes. The double-paned replacement units had to be custom made to match as nothing even close to similar is in stock today. He only replaced the two in the bedroom rather than all six on that façade as each unit was about $3k installed. They work great, but that was the associated cost.

It is a powerful financial incentive for protecting the built environment, but it is totally by choice. Many people weigh the savings in taxes against the extra cost of restoring and maintaining the structure to that strict standard. It's a basic cost/benefit analysis, and of course, our passion for the show drives our feelings about Pahonu, not the financial realities.

Thanks for that info. I suppose that makes sense.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2335 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Pahonu wrote:I think this might be helpful in understanding the owner's decisions about these properties.

Thanks and in my experience, registering a historical building as such only for the tax benefits mostly backfires in the long run.
I guess that if Mrs. Anderson would have registered Pahonu as a historic site, it would have been recquired to put an important amount of money first to bring the house into considerable shape.

Fleet Admiral

#2336 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I have a question about the front gate at the Anderson Estate (Robin's Nest). When did that turtle that's there now appear on the gate? As I watch the episodes I see 2 symbols (can't make out what they are) on both parts of the gate - a circular symbol on the right gate and on the left gate. Anyone know what those are? At some point these 2 things got replaced with a turtle in the center of the gate. Actually it might even be a new gate - probably is. In any case did this happen after the show ended? I haven't seen most of the later season episodes so I'm not sure what the gate looks like there.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2337 Post by Steve »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:I have a question about the front gate at the Anderson Estate (Robin's Nest). When did that turtle that's there now appear on the gate? As I watch the episodes I see 2 symbols (can't make out what they are) on both parts of the gate - a circular symbol on the right gate and on the left gate. Anyone know what those are? At some point these 2 things got replaced with a turtle in the center of the gate. Actually it might even be a new gate - probably is. In any case did this happen after the show ended? I haven't seen most of the later season episodes so I'm not sure what the gate looks like there.
I have always thought that the Turtle symbol was always there, they just put a crest with an "M" (for Robin Masters) over the top of it for filming....

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2338 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Steve wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:I have a question about the front gate at the Anderson Estate (Robin's Nest). When did that turtle that's there now appear on the gate? As I watch the episodes I see 2 symbols (can't make out what they are) on both parts of the gate - a circular symbol on the right gate and on the left gate. Anyone know what those are? At some point these 2 things got replaced with a turtle in the center of the gate. Actually it might even be a new gate - probably is. In any case did this happen after the show ended? I haven't seen most of the later season episodes so I'm not sure what the gate looks like there.
I have always thought that the Turtle symbol was always there, they just put a crest with an "M" (for Robin Masters) over the top of it for filming....
I'm not sure when the single turtle gate was installed. For the show it was a double rolling/sliding gate with the split in the middle (remember the Lads getting their heads almost caught?), and there was an "RM" crest on each side. I'm not sure what was really on Pahonu's double gates when they weren't filming... maybe nothing.

From the inside...

Today's gate appears to be a single gate...

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#2339 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

... and the beautiful wave pattern on the top (which I have just discovered...) is not there on the new gate.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2340 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Ouch! :(