The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#361 Post by J.J. Walters »

Your latest post is a thing of beauty rubber chicken! :)

What a great episode for the Anderson Estate; all kinds of wonderful shots! It's especially interesting and notable for all of the interior scenes. It's hard to say for certain from the screen shots, but it does appear that the indoor scenes are from the actual estate. They just don't have a "set feel" to them. The one with the swords and knives could be a set, but I have a feeling it's not.

Thanks again for posting this! Look forward to the next episode!
rubber chicken wrote:"Run run as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man." Or so he thought....
LMAO!! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#362 Post by steveadl »

J.J. Walters wrote:They just don't have a "set feel" to them. The one with the swords and knives could be a set, but I have a feeling it's not.
Chances are they're probably shots of the interior of the estate (as Eve seemed to let them film inside in the pre-Magnum days), but I would assume the H50 set decorators added their own touches for filming. eg. it may be the interior of the building, but the swords aren't Eve's etc.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#363 Post by Pahonu »

If you look through the zip file you can see a few details that show it is the actual interior. One is the valance over the curtains in front of the French doors. Thay have a particular shape and detailing that match pictures from the episode "The Second Shot". A second is the interior door detailing matches a scene from "Cloth of Gold". It's a little complex to explain, but I would wager it's the interior of the home. Good point about the set decorators though.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#364 Post by J.J. Walters »

No need to explain Pahonu. I believe you!
steveadl wrote:Chances are they're probably shots of the interior of the estate (as Eve seemed to let them film inside in the pre-Magnum days), but I would assume the H50 set decorators added their own touches for filming. eg. it may be the interior of the building, but the swords aren't Eve's etc.
You're probably right, but I'm sure she has some swords and guns lying around somewhere. How else is she supposed to drive away those crazy Magnum fans who are sneaking onto the estate trying to take pictures? ;)

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#365 Post by steveadl »

J.J. Walters wrote:
You're probably right, but I'm sure she has some swords and guns lying around somewhere. How else is she supposed to drive away those crazy Magnum fans who are sneaking onto the estate trying to take pictures? ;)
Ha, you're probably right! I was so tempted last year but couldn't bring myself to do it, respect and all that pfffft *sigh* :D

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#366 Post by 308GTS »

Wow, what a great find, to think that in 1971 or earlier they shot on such hallowed ground! Awesome.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#367 Post by rubber chicken »

Well here's Is This Any Way to Run a Paradise (4.13), airing on December 14th, 1971. I didn't expect to get to this one for awhile, but as Sam reminded me he already looked into this episode back on page 26 of this thread. When I saw that this was the next episode in my list, I neglected to look at my notes. :?

The estate is briefly seen in this episode, but only in stock footage from past Hawaii Five-O episodes.

From 28:58 to 29:02 the security guard and guard dog footage from The Gunrunner is seen (click for larger version):

If the shot were continued, the guard would take another step and "the Gunrunner's" wife would turn on the light seen in the screen shot below from The Gunrunner. But in Is This Any Way to Run a Paradise they cut to a shot of a different home before the guard takes that step.

When the show cuts to the different home, a man comes in the night and murders the owner of this different home. Then (presumably the next morning), the Anderson Estate reappears at 32:37, when McGarrett comes to investigate the murder. But what we actually see from 32:37 to 32:46 is stock footage from Sweet Terror, as Sam pointed out. In the car are four bad guys from Sweet Terror, not McGarrett as the show is implying. In fact, even when the show originally aired, a sharp eye could have noticed one person in the back seat wearing a light colored wide brimmed hat, when McGarrett should have been the lone person in the car.
Image Image

This is really getting down to the nitty gritty now, but I'm nothing if not a stickler for details. This stuff is important right? ;) From 32:45 to 32:52 the camera is in the car with McGarrett, and it looks almost identical to what's seen in Sweet Terror, but it's actually slightly different. I'm thinking that for some reason in Is This Any Way to Run a Paradise they chose to use footage that was an alternate take of the in car footage made for Sweet Terror. It's kind of neat really, as I think we're getting a bit of insight into how they made the show and how they selected which takes to use. I'd say they chose the right take the first time, for use in Sweet Terror. The mirror isn't in the way as much as it is in Is This Any Way to Run a Paradise (the mirror is there in Sweet Terror, just hardly visible in the screenshots). I wonder what Jack Lord thought of having to go back to the other end of the driveway to take another shot. Probably just a normal day of working in television for him.

Sweet Terror:
Image Image Image

Is This Any Way to Run a Paradise:
Image Image Image

If you're still reading this, we then get to 32:53 to 32:57, where McGarrett pulls up opposite the door used as the front door in Magnum P.I. This is the same footage that was used in Sweet Terror:

That's it for this episode. I wonder why they didn't make entirely new shots at the house they actually used for the murdered man. I guess since all this totals a mere 24 seconds, it wasn't a big deal, especially for a television show in 1971.

Next up will be Death's Name is Sam.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#368 Post by steveadl »

Makes me wonder back in the day (or even now watching reruns) when people were watching H50 whether they recognised the same estate being used in so many different episodes - each time with a different bad guy in it.

Perhaps every time the H50 boys busted the bad guys the place went back onto the market and just happened to be the house of choice for gangsters/drug runners/crime lords wanting to live in Hawaii. By the end of the series fans probably recognised the house as soon as it appeared on screen and thought "oops, the estate - this guy must be up to no good!" :lol:

Donuts ensucrats
Rear Admiral

#369 Post by Donuts ensucrats »

Look at this. a meeting at The estate last september

http://pug.meetup.com/256/photos/all_ph ... mId=718466
Mare de Déu Senyor!!!!!!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#370 Post by steveadl »

Donuts ensucrats wrote:Look at this. a meeting at The estate last september

hmmmm so apparently the blue tarp that has been on the ocean side lawn for ages is for volleyball?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#371 Post by Steve »

Donuts ensucrats wrote:Look at this. a meeting at The estate last september

Our own Styles made it to the inside gate during one of these Pug get togethers. From what I can tell from the pug lovers site, The Dowager Lady Anderson has graciously opened up The Estate to the pug lovers on a Sunday in September going back to 2005. They have rules posted on these occasions not to talk to Ms. Anderson about Magnum,pi. Of course, it doesn't say anything about not talking to her about the Hawaii 5-0 days if any of us can swing a visit during the September 2010 get together after somwehow aquiring a Pug and joining the group...........LOL!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#372 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL!

The Pug is the key to the sacred grounds of Pahonu! If you had time, you could train the Pug to run towards the main house on some secret command. You say out loud to your fellow Pug Lovers, "Oh Dear, Higgins has run away! Excuse me, I'll be right back.", and you run after him. You'd then have the perfect opportunity to check out the house up close. You could even get a chance to explore the rarely seen back (south) side of the main house. The Pug is the key! :)

rubber chicken - Thanks again for another great HF0 write up! Very interesting!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#373 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:The Dowager Lady Anderson
That one killed me, Steve! :lol:

Also, nice catch on the Pug convention donut man! When I dropped by as an uninvited guest, the Pug owners seemed to have free run over the Estate. I don't think it would be difficult for one of the guests to get some photos of mystery areas. Someone should befriend one of the Pug meet-up regulars and ask for a few photos.

By the way, I was there in April 2008, so September isn't necessarily the month. It's probably just random. I think one of the Pug owners told me they have a circuit of homes across Oahu that host Pug parties.

Here are some of the more interesting ones from that site for Estate (rather than Pug) watchers:

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#374 Post by Sam »

Hi Styles,

The Pug meetups at the estate are in Sept.First year was 2006.
http://pug.meetup.com/256/calendar/past_list/

I found your report from last June in the one of pug threads...Also,do you know where you posted your picture from the grounds??

When I dropped by the estate in April 2008, there was a dog show on as well. It wasn't just pugs though, all sorts of dogs. It was cool because the gates were open and there wasn't anyone standing 'guard'. I was able to get a good peek at the grounds, but didn't want to interrupt the party so I held back. My advice for getting a tour of Robin's Nest: bring fido.

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... c&start=10

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#375 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Sam wrote:do you know where you posted your picture from the grounds??
I can't remember where I posted it, but here it is again....

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.