The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Robin Masters Estate (Pahonu)

#2431 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Great photos, K.Hale and Ivan! It's great to finally see photos of you two. (I was imagining Nuzo saying to TC, "What must we do?" and TC gritting his teeth and shouting, "Kill IVAN!" :P )

I like the description of the beach being "sacred ground". It's also nice to know that "The Estate" has some of the same problems I have on my "estate" here: tourists and fisherman ruining the solitude of the place, beach erosion causing loss of sand, rust happening everywhere, and never-ending maintenance required on house and overgrown trees. If I was rich like Robin Masters, I'd hire a guy like Higgins to take care of it and a guy like Magnum for security. (but no way am I getting the security guy a Ferrari)

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2432 Post by Sam »

Pahonu wrote:Great pics K Hale and Ivan. Thanks for that! Did anyone notice the loss of sand at the boat house gate? That's quite a drop off from the ramp to the sand!
Hi Pahonu..... the two things I noticed in that photo.. the sand erosion at the gate and the ghost of Higgins wearing the yellow hat and yellow rain slicker.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2433 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Sam wrote:
Pahonu wrote:Great pics K Hale and Ivan. Thanks for that! Did anyone notice the loss of sand at the boat house gate? That's quite a drop off from the ramp to the sand!
Hi Pahonu..... the two things I noticed in that photo.. the sand erosion at the gate and the ghost of Higgins wearing the yellow hat and yellow rain slicker.
I saw him too, Sam! :shock:

ImageImage

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2434 Post by K Hale »

Oh my. :shock:

He must have known I was there...
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2435 Post by K Hale »

Also forgot to mention, while I was in the tidal pool on the left -- not the Pahonu tidal pool but the other one -- I was stung by a jellyfish. This was on my second visit to the estate, September 11, and the jellyfish danger period was September 3-6. I suppose it could've been one left behind? Or perhaps even a dead one floating below the surface? I never saw the jellyfish, but I definitely felt the sting. Back of my left hand, across the inside of my left forearm, and across the front of my thighs. Fortunately I had some Benadryl cream with me which made it feel a lot better within an hour or so.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#2436 Post by Sam »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Sam wrote:
I saw him too, Sam! :shock:

ImageImage
Thanks RG... the only thing I can say is chicken skin. I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw that..
The ghost tours are big business on Oahu.

https://mysteries-of-hawaii.com

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2437 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:Also forgot to mention, while I was in the tidal pool on the left -- not the Pahonu tidal pool but the other one -- I was stung by a jellyfish. This was on my second visit to the estate, September 11, and the jellyfish danger period was September 3-6. I suppose it could've been one left behind? Or perhaps even a dead one floating below the surface? I never saw the jellyfish, but I definitely felt the sting. Back of my left hand, across the inside of my left forearm, and across the front of my thighs. Fortunately I had some Benadryl cream with me which made it feel a lot better within an hour or so.
I feel your pain K Hale. I've been stung on the inside of my thigh and also my calf. Did you have all the red lines on your forearm, like spider veins? The forearm area is probably pretty sensitive! My wife got stung on the back of her hand once and it seemed to be more painful for her in that area. I didn't see the jellyfish either time, nor did my wife. You're in the club now. :wink:

You haven't lived until you've had a sting ray barb in your foot! LOL :lol: I had to pull one out once after stepping on one, and my whole foot went numb. The lifeguards had me put my foot in a bucket of hot water. It helped, but I had a black spot under my skin for several years where the barbs had broken off. It eventually disappeared. I did see the shadow of the stingray disappear when I was stung that time.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#2438 Post by K Hale »

Pahonu wrote:
K Hale wrote:Also forgot to mention, while I was in the tidal pool on the left -- not the Pahonu tidal pool but the other one -- I was stung by a jellyfish. This was on my second visit to the estate, September 11, and the jellyfish danger period was September 3-6. I suppose it could've been one left behind? Or perhaps even a dead one floating below the surface? I never saw the jellyfish, but I definitely felt the sting. Back of my left hand, across the inside of my left forearm, and across the front of my thighs. Fortunately I had some Benadryl cream with me which made it feel a lot better within an hour or so.
I feel your pain K Hale. I've been stung on the inside of my thigh and also my calf. Did you have all the red lines on your forearm, like spider veins? The forearm area is probably pretty sensitive! My wife got stung on the back of her hand once and it seemed to be more painful for her in that area. I didn't see the jellyfish either time, nor did my wife. You're in the club now. :wink:

You haven't lived until you've had a sting ray barb in your foot! LOL :lol: I had to pull one out once after stepping on one, and my whole foot went numb. The lifeguards had me put my foot in a bucket of hot water. It helped, but I had a black spot under my skin for several years where the barbs had broken off. It eventually disappeared. I did see the shadow of the stingray disappear when I was stung that time.
The back of my hand was the worst. Inside my forearm was pretty bad but the hand pain lingered longest, a day or so. Then got itchy.

Did the stingray incident happen in Hawaii?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#2439 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

K Hale wrote:Also forgot to mention, while I was in the tidal pool on the left -- not the Pahonu tidal pool but the other one -- I was stung by a jellyfish.
Oh good - another problem I share with "The Estate", but our jellyfish season is late June to end of July and the stings are very mild (slight itching and burning) and only last 20 minutes at the most.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#2440 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

No jellyfish stings for me in the tidal pool (and I was there on 2 different days) but I got a bad one down here at the Jersey shore some years back. I'm very familiar with the terrible itching and the horrible spider veins that appear as a result, especially on the inside of my forearm. That's the worst!

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#2441 Post by Kevster »

As a Florida resident, there are two different kinds of "sea lice" that I've seen in my life. The first was a nuisance that used to eat the cut bait when my father and I would fish.

The second is relatively common, and these are baby jellyfish that people would get impacted by at the beach. Since they are miniscule, they are not potent. However, they also can go EVERYWHERE when you swim amongst them. So, instead of bad stings, you have widespread mild ant bites.

Did I note EVERYWHERE.

Try that sometime...
Trust Me!!!

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#2442 Post by Majordomo »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Over the summer I was lax in checking the status of any permit info for Pahonu, and I apparently missed a major update! :shock: An application for subdivision was submitted for two lots and the development of two homes.

However, there was a letter of deferral mailed to the owner, so I did some digging to try to find out why. Turns out that during an archaeological inventory survey, there was a discovery of a single location of human skeletal remains found on the property, believed to be Native Hawaiian, and "preservation in place" is being explored. Preservation in place means the remains would stay on the property and the owner will have to somehow build around the location.

I'll be posting some screen caps in a bit...
I wonder what the "Waimanalo Paradise Provate Residence Project" could even be?
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#2443 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Majordomo wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:Over the summer I was lax in checking the status of any permit info for Pahonu, and I apparently missed a major update! :shock: An application for subdivision was submitted for two lots and the development of two homes.

However, there was a letter of deferral mailed to the owner, so I did some digging to try to find out why. Turns out that during an archaeological inventory survey, there was a discovery of a single location of human skeletal remains found on the property, believed to be Native Hawaiian, and "preservation in place" is being explored. Preservation in place means the remains would stay on the property and the owner will have to somehow build around the location.

I'll be posting some screen caps in a bit...
I wonder what the "Waimanalo Paradise Provate Residence Project" could even be?
Hi Majordomo :D

So far all I can dig up is that it's being divided into two lots and two homes.

I've been thinking about what this means...

1) Is it for investment purposes only... build & sell?
2) Will the owner keep one & sell one?
3) Will the owner keep both? If it's Obama or Nesbitt, maybe one house for each?

Knowing Obama's history and love for Oahu, I find it VERY telling that he hasn't purchased a home there yet. How long has he been out of office now? We know he has the money to have a residence there. I think it's another clue that the owner is truly Obama... or he & Nesbitt purchased Pahonu together to build their vacation homes side by side.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#2444 Post by Pahonu »

K Hale wrote:
Pahonu wrote:

The back of my hand was the worst. Inside my forearm was pretty bad but the hand pain lingered longest, a day or so. Then got itchy.

Did the stingray incident happen in Hawaii?
Nope, the stingray was here in Long Beach where I live. There is a power plant just inland that uses the water of the San Gabriel River to cool it. It's raised the temperature at the river mouth by a few degrees. The rays like the warmer water. Seal Beach, the city on the other side of the river, calls the area "Ray Bay" for obvious reasons. The warmer water has even led to a family of sea turtles living in the area. I've seen them from the bike path that runs along the river. Pretty cool.

The jellyfish stings were in Newport Beach while body surfing, and La Jolla when I was snorkling.

Rands
Rear Admiral

#2445 Post by Rands »

K Hale: Thank you for the photos. I was just viewing this thread to see if anyone had a current photo or two. Like all, the destruction of the Estate is something hard to fathom, and I'm so happy I was able to be there a few times before it was destroyed. Mrs. Rands and I will be there next month, outside our usual Veteran's Day pilgrimage. I'll try to get over to the Estate and see it for myself. Hopefully, my camera will do it's usual job, and make me look like I know what I'm actually doing, so I can post a photo or two.