40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#781 Post by 308GUY »

eagle wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:21 pm Oh man, Fig Newtons! That reminds me... my wife does a weekly Walmart order on Fridays. The other day I was thinking that I needed to add Fig Newtons to it... and I'm going to do that right now!

I have brandy, but the only brandy I have is slivovitz, plum brandy from Europe. I'll probably stick with water.
Fig Newtons are great! :lol:

I have some "cognac"....but generally don't use it except for "special occasions", so I was buying "Raynol" a french brandy that was pretty good for the price (around $14/bottle/750ML) but the state of OH "delisted" it, and now you can't get it anywhere in the state, and where it can be bought, won't ship it! So I've been getting Paul Masson Grande Amber VSOP, which is not bad, again, for the price (about $12/bottle/750ML) most the time I "ruin" it by mixing black cherry "sparkling water", and it makes a very pleasant tasting drink for the evenings, or whatever. The straight brandy will serve to warm you up on cold days/nights, without getting you too tipsy. Course there's always the single malt from Glenlivet if it's "real" cold!LOL :lol:

T.Q. ......thanks, that's how it'll be for me! Not sure I could even stop watching right in the middle like that anyway! Great to "live in the past" sometimes....right? I like it anyway.....much better than our current "reality"! (If you knew what my "reality" was like...you'd probably understand better and possibly feel the same way...but I DO deal with what needs dealt with......daily.)

Have a great night maniacs! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#782 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I viewed "Did You See the Sunrise?" last night at 8pm since it was Thursday night that the show aired 40 years ago on CBS. Along with the first episode of CHEERS at 9pm on NBC - "Give Me a Ring Sometime". I watched that one too, after MPI. :)

Interesting note about "Sunrise" as the episode begins there is mention of the Queen's birthday party which Higgins is preparing for. I believe this would be the Queen Mother? Not Elizabeth II. Since there is another episode that specifically mentions the Queen Mother.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#783 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:13 pm I viewed "Did You See the Sunrise?" last night at 8pm since it was Thursday night that the show aired 40 years ago on CBS. Along with the first episode of CHEERS at 9pm on NBC - "Give Me a Ring Sometime". I watched that one too, after MPI. :)

Interesting note about "Sunrise" as the episode begins there is mention of the Queen's birthday party which Higgins is preparing for. I believe this would be the Queen Mother? Not Elizabeth II. Since there is another episode that specifically mentions the Queen Mother.
Wow. Technically watched early.

NO SPOILERS! :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#784 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:26 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:13 pm I viewed "Did You See the Sunrise?" last night at 8pm since it was Thursday night that the show aired 40 years ago on CBS. Along with the first episode of CHEERS at 9pm on NBC - "Give Me a Ring Sometime". I watched that one too, after MPI. :)

Wow. Technically watched early.

NO SPOILERS! :lol:
I'm sticking to my schedule of watching it on the actual day it aired (Thursday) which is only a day early this year anyway. Friday was Knight Rider at 9pm on NBC. So that's what I'm watching tonight - the episode "Deadly Maneuvers" (aired 10/1/82).

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#785 Post by 308GUY »

What a great episode. Not hard to understand why it's listed by many as one of the top favorites.

Could have actually been expanded in some areas, and in my opinion, is another instance of one that could have easily been a movie for the big screen...but to be done "right" (IMHO) it would have to have been 2-3 hours long!

At any rate, another one in the books for this years watch party. :magnum: :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#786 Post by T.Q. »

308GUY wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:07 am What a great episode. Not hard to understand why it's listed by many as one of the top favorites.

Could have actually been expanded in some areas, and in my opinion, is another instance of one that could have easily been a movie for the big screen...but to be done "right" (IMHO) it would have to have been 2-3 hours long!

At any rate, another one in the books for this years watch party. :magnum: :geek:
Who's still with us?

Numbers have dropped off for the watch party. :cry:

Yes, I try to imagine what viewers thought in 1982 (nothing you don't see all the time these days with the shock moments). Read somewhere this was water cooler talk around US/Canada on this day 40 years ago.

Epic TV.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#787 Post by eagle »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:55 pm Who's still with us?

Yes, I try to imagine what viewers thought in 1982 (nothing you don't see all the time these days with the shock moments). Read somewhere this was water cooler talk around US/Canada on this day 40 years ago.

Epic TV.
I'm still here. I watched about half of the episode last night (so, basically, the first of the 2 episodes). I hope to finish tonight.

Fleet Admiral

#788 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:55 pm
308GUY wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:07 am What a great episode. Not hard to understand why it's listed by many as one of the top favorites.

Who's still with us?

Epic TV.
It is epic TV. Also I took special note of the helicopter flying scenes after TC drops off TM with the surf ski. There is some of the most beautiful flying shots of the heli during that prolonged scene where TC is just flying and singing some song ("Remember Pearl Harbor? The Alamo?"). Just majestic looking as it flies through those stunning cliffs and ridges! Epic movie quality shots! Then he hovers over the Valley of the Temples as he waits for clearance to fly further. I love it when old shows give us those moments where we can just breathe and slowly take it all in. Modern audience would find this superfluous and unnecessary. They're so used to quick cuts and edits. Can't let a scene just linger. Gotta move on to the next scene. I imagine they'd be scrolling on their phones during these flying shots because "nothing is happening". :roll: I just love old school television and movie-making.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#789 Post by Mark de Croix »

Great party! Thanks for the invite!! Before my comment, let me invite you all to test your sleuthing skill on the TMPI test:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 322982f3a4
The case is still unsolved!

My Impressions on S3EI:
● Great show. A bit more budget and it could have been a blockbuster movie!
● Loved the panoramic views of Hawaii--fantastic.
● Did you catch that the first utterances of Nuzo seemed foreign accented? Could have been foreshadowing for what would happen, or to prime the audience for his treachery.
Risky cultural imaging? Precisely when TC flies in front of the red Asian temple/shrine (Valley of the Temples), TC sings a WWII song referencing Pearl Harbor. The Valley of the Temples, I believe was constructed based on an actual shrine in Japan and commemorates Japanese American contributions to Hawaii. By the 1980s it's been two generations already after the Pearl Harbor bombing and people ought to be careful about referencing it in Hawaii considering the tragic treatment of Japanese Americans during the war.

Yet it is interesting foreshadowing because in TC's song, he says Pearl Harbor must be remembered as was the Alamo. He of course almost attacks the shrine later. Perfect foreshadowing but lots of questions arise such as, would an Hawaiian resident seem to harbor resentment toward Japan still in the 1980s? Would a military man not have received training to deal with the issue (or perhaps he was already out before he took up residence there)? Would any in the military in the 1980s harbor those war feelings against Japan still in the 1980s? Would/could this MPI segment trigger animosity toward Asians in the general population?
Note: At the very least MPI can be faulted for cultural insensitivity by this line and sentiment in this episode: "Same path the Japanese took in '41 when they bombed Pearl." Here "Japan" would have been more suitable than "Japanese" by lessening the spotlight on the ethnicity.
Use of the n-word. It really makes the scene powerful and real and fits the persona of a cruel Nazi-like Russian in charge. Would it be permissible? Or outside of rap music etc. would the word be permissible for contextual purpose in an everyday drama, etc.? BTW, for MPI TV reruns is the word bleeped out? On the other side, honky is used by TC, an epithet for Caucasians: Would/should it receive similar consideration?
Back to the Valley of the Temples: Would using it be appropriate as the meeting place for a Japanese prince as in this MPI episode? And why is it an admiral--not the state governor who meets him?
:magnum: :magnum:

Fleet Admiral

#790 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:29 pm ● Did you catch that the first utterances of Nuzo seemed foreign accented? Could have been foreshadowing for what would happen, or to prime the audience for his treachery.
Is that when they're swinging in bamboo cages or when Nuzo meets TC at the airfield? I didn't detect anything there. I thought I detected a slight foreign accent (very slight) towards the end just as he's getting ready to give TC the needle and before Ivan shows up to goad TC into killing him.
Note: At the very least MPI can be faulted for cultural insensitivity by this line and sentiment in this episode: "Same path the Japanese took in '41 when they bombed Pearl." Here "Japan" would have been more suitable than "Japanese" by lessening the spotlight on the ethnicity.
Oh please, enough with the political correctness. No one cares. Japan, Japanese, Jap, whatever... :roll:

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#791 Post by Mark de Croix »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 am
Mark de Croix wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:29 pm ● Did you catch that the first utterances of Nuzo seemed foreign accented? Could have been foreshadowing for what would happen, or to prime the audience for his treachery.
Is that when they're swinging in bamboo cages or when Nuzo meets TC at the airfield? I didn't detect anything there. I thought I detected a slight foreign accent (very slight) towards the end just as he's getting ready to give TC the needle and before Ivan shows up to goad TC into killing him.
Oh please, enough with the political correctness. No one cares. Japan, Japanese, Jap, whatever... :roll:
Foreign accent
When? The very first utterances by Nuzo in the show: The three escaped and approached the rice paddy. I felt an immediate reflex hearing him, thinking it odd a foreign GI.

>>Oh please, enough with the political correctness.
Nothing of the sort. It's called human decency. Google it.

>>No one cares. Japan, Japanese, Jap, whatever... :roll:
You're wrong. People care esp. those targeted. If you ever been to Hawaii and familiar with it, you would know that there are ethnic tensions. This is reality from which MPI tries to mirror.

An excellent MPI scene shows this in the episode about the voodoo kahuna and TM and TC go to the North Shore looking for him and our two heroes pulled up to rundown store. That scene encapsulates the ethnic tension on the island I'm talking about. It's real and MPI portrays that. For people who sling around ethnic slurs as you do, the import of such a scene might be beyond you.

I've been so impressed with the show's writing, that I'm holding them to a high standard. A TV show is not made in a vacuum; it plays to an audience. The fact is that the writers have a big challenge working for the audience between two time periods--the then and the now. It seems they may have slipped going back and both in time. It happens and so I noted it. :magnum: :magnum:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#792 Post by T.Q. »

Hope this thread doesn't become an analysis of a 40-yr-old show through the PC lense of 2022.

Mark de Croix
Fleet Admiral

#793 Post by Mark de Croix »

Exactly! PCism has exerted an unfortunate stifling of free speech in our colleges and universities as well as in the everyday lives of many. I hope anyone espousing PCism will desist for the good of the community. I'm glad PCism hasn't emerged here but it would be troubling if it did. Good reminder, TQ.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#794 Post by T.Q. »

Mark de Croix wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:46 pm Exactly! PCism has exerted an unfortunate stifling of free speech in our colleges and universities as well as in the everyday lives of many. I hope anyone espousing PCism will desist for the good of the community. I'm glad PCism hasn't emerged here but it would be troubling if it did. Good reminder, TQ.
Are you gaslighting us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#795 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mark de Croix wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:24 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 am
Foreign accent
When? The very first utterances by Nuzo in the show: The three escaped and approached the rice paddy. I felt an immediate reflex hearing him, thinking it odd a foreign GI.

>>Oh please, enough with the political correctness.
Nothing of the sort. It's called human decency. Google it.

>>No one cares. Japan, Japanese, Jap, whatever... :roll:
You're wrong. People care esp. those targeted. If you ever been to Hawaii and familiar with it, you would know that there are ethnic tensions. This is reality from which MPI tries to mirror.

An excellent MPI scene shows this in the episode about the voodoo kahuna and TM and TC go to the North Shore looking for him and our two heroes pulled up to rundown store. That scene encapsulates the ethnic tension on the island I'm talking about. It's real and MPI portrays that. For people who sling around ethnic slurs as you do, the import of such a scene might be beyond you.

I've been so impressed with the show's writing, that I'm holding them to a high standard. A TV show is not made in a vacuum; it plays to an audience. The fact is that the writers have a big challenge working for the audience between two time periods--the then and the now. It seems they may have slipped going back and both in time. It happens and so I noted it. :magnum: :magnum:
Riiiiiight. A couple of Vietnam combat vets talking about which path the Japanese took to attack Pearl in '41 are going to be dissecting whether to use "Japan" or "Japanese". Is this a serious question? I'm glad you weren't one of the writers on this show. This isn't a university student writing a history paper. This is how ordinary folks talk. That's what the show reflected and I'm glad it did. You're probably one of those who would like to go back and take old films and TV shows and "sanitize" them so that no one's feelings are hurt and everything is hunky-dory.