40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#571 Post by charybdis1966 »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:24 am
What a blast having an old timer along for the ride! Great to see your posts again! I’ve really got to find time for this week’s episode!
It is quite astonishing how time flies - it’s a decade long gap since the start of my initial bout of posting; I can’t believe it was that long ago.

I’ve got the season 3 dvd on the way too so that’s me sorted for another year here !

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#572 Post by T.Q. »

February 4th, 1982

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
Italian Ice
Season 2, episode 15

With Ann Dusenberry (Katrina Tremaine), Jean Claudio (Marchesi DeComo), Lenny Montana (Marchesi's bodyguard), Mimi Rogers (Margo Perina), Lilyan Chauvin (Maria), Wallace Merck (Segundo), Mark Tuinei (Samoan Student).

After Magnum daringly rescues a beautiful young woman -- the daughter of a friend of Robin's -- from a mobster's villa in Sicily, the girl comes to stay on the Masters estate and causes trouble for Magnum.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#573 Post by T.Q. »

P.S. I love this episode and had a crush on Ann Dusenberry.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#574 Post by 308GUY »

She played a great "crazy"! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#575 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:40 pm P.S. I love this episode and had a crush on Ann Dusenberry.

She reminded me of a girlfriend I once dated. :lol: Probably why we didn't end up together! :shock: Wheew.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#576 Post by charybdis1966 »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:30 pm Image

February 4th, 1982

Italian Ice
Season 2, episode 15

With Ann Dusenberry (Katrina Tremaine), Jean Claudio (Marchesi DeComo), Lenny Montana (Marchesi's bodyguard), Mimi Rogers (Margo Perina), Lilyan Chauvin (Maria), Wallace Merck (Segundo), Mark Tuinei (Samoan Student).

After Magnum daringly rescues a beautiful young woman -- the daughter of a friend of Robin's -- from a mobster's villa in Sicily, the girl comes to stay on the Masters estate and causes trouble for Magnum.
Decent episode with the odd left turn plot-wise here and there.
When I saw this in the 80's I remember wondering what TM saw in Margo (I found her a bit dull looking and school ma'am like) while the younger blonder Katrina looked much more appealing to me.
However as the story unfolded I noticed brat-like characteristics that then became indicators of more unhinged behaviour as Katrina's jealousy grew.
Enjoyed the 4th wall break when the female college student was admiring the Ferrari.
Bonus points for this episode for the cricket plot point - it took me back to thoughts of my club cricket playing days back in the 1990's.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#577 Post by Pahonu »

charybdis1966 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:12 am
T.Q. wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:30 pm Image

February 4th, 1982

Italian Ice
Season 2, episode 15

When I saw this in the 80's I remember wondering what TM saw in Margo (I found her a bit dull looking and school ma'am like) while the younger blonder Katrina looked much more appealing to me.
However as the story unfolded I noticed brat-like characteristics that then became indicators of more unhinged behaviour as Katrina's jealousy grew.
Enjoyed the 4th wall break when the female college student was admiring the Ferrari.
Bonus points for this episode for the cricket plot point - it took me back to thoughts of my club cricket playing days back in the 1990's.
Mimi Rogers, who played Margo, was married to Tom Cruise in the 80’s, so someone found her appealing. :wink:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#578 Post by charybdis1966 »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:05 pm [

Mimi Rogers, who played Margo, was married to Tom Cruise in the 80’s, so someone found her appealing. :wink:

That was 15 year old me talking, although I have always preferred blondes. :)

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#579 Post by eagle »

I just finished Try to Remember, and I agree with some the other commenters -- it is a great episode, one of my favorites. Now for Italian Ice.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#580 Post by T.Q. »

February 11, 1982

One More Summer
Season 2, episode 16

With David Wilson (Dorsey Bramlett), Pat Morita (Jack Metro), Paul Tinder (Delbert Nolton), Louise Sorel (Eleanor Greeley), Dick Butkus (Clarence), Bill Edwards (Coach Bell), Gus Rethwisch (Clyde Sromosky), Robert Cain (Dr. Harvey), Kimber Hinkson (April Ann Metro), Jerry Schmeer (Walt Chambers).

Professional quarterback Dorsey Bramlett, who was the backup for Magnum at the U.S. Naval Academy, believes that someone is trying to kill him so he asks Thomas to be his bodyguard.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#581 Post by eagle »

eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:14 am I just finished Try to Remember, and I agree with some the other commenters -- it is a great episode, one of my favorites. Now for Italian Ice.
I finished "Italian Ice" the other day. I enjoy this episode, especially the final scene, where Magnum gives Higgins the answer to the crossword. :magnum: :higgins:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#582 Post by charybdis1966 »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:18 pm Image

February 11, 1982

One More Summer
Season 2, episode 16

With David Wilson (Dorsey Bramlett), Pat Morita (Jack Metro), Paul Tinder (Delbert Nolton), Louise Sorel (Eleanor Greeley), Dick Butkus (Clarence), Bill Edwards (Coach Bell), Gus Rethwisch (Clyde Sromosky), Robert Cain (Dr. Harvey), Kimber Hinkson (April Ann Metro), Jerry Schmeer (Walt Chambers).

Professional quarterback Dorsey Bramlett, who was the backup for Magnum at the U.S. Naval Academy, believes that someone is trying to kill him so he asks Thomas to be his bodyguard.
I quite like this episode despite the panning it gets from most on this forum.

You need light-hearted (for the main part) episodes like this to balance out the more serious ones in any season and rewatching it recently I enjoyed Higgins' barbs about American football ("Win it for the dipper(?)" and "I don't see the necessity for all the padding").

Eleanor's playfulness in the locker room made me smile and it showed that TM was a modest gent for the most part(no doubt part of Tom Selleck showing through in his portrayal of Magnum).

So, in theory I shouldn't really like this at all (I have zero knowledge/like of american football) but it's a fun 50+ minutes in my mind.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#583 Post by T.Q. »

charybdis1966 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:33 pm
I quite like this episode despite the panning it gets from most on this forum.
I like this episode too.

Don't get the overall distaste for it.

7/10

Fleet Admiral

#584 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I hate this episode!! Boooooooring!!

Out of all the episodes that I have seen so far (season 1 thru half of season 4) this one is by far the worst! Yep, even worse than "Mixed Doubles" or "Two Birds of a Feather". I'm not a fan of the NFL or football in general. Super Bowl Sunday is coming up and I wouldn't even know it if someone hadn't said something at work. Don't even know who's playing, don't care. I know it's not the Eagles. :lol: But it's not the game of football that turns me off about this episode. I just find it boring where not much of anything happens.

The best thing about this episode is this shot. Love it! But that's it.

Fleet Admiral

#585 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Oh wait, I did see a few episodes from season 7, including the stinker "Solo Flight". The one where Magnum talks to a fly for the duration of the episode!! :shock: So that one is probably worse than "One More Summer". But that ain't saying much...