40th Anniversary Watch Party

For all non-episode specific topics about the show, including MPI-related "tie-ins"

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: 40th Anniversary Watch Party

#391 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:57 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:06 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:59 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:40 pm
Good but not as good as the season opener "William Joseph Robert".
That, my friend, is a true dad joke. And I strongly disagree.
And I am a dad! :D
I also disagree, both with dad jokes and the quality of Billy Joe Bob. :lol: The cowboy justice was way over the top, almost to the point of absurdity. He rigs a noose from a tree and has him stand on chair while pointing his six shooter from out of his cowboy holster. Seems a bit silly to me.
Yeah, but that's kinda the point. MPI was mostly light-hearted entertainment, not to be taken too seriously. Five-O it wasn't. Billy Joe Bob was never meant to be Buford Pusser from WALKING TALL. It's a comedic version of cowboy justice.
I agree, MPI was more light hearted and more entertaining. Selleck’s self-deprecating style was central to that quality and why we are all here still discussing the show, I think. Hawaii Five-O was straight drama and lacked that balance. It was well done, and I enjoy many episodes, but Jack Lord crossed over to overly self-important on many occasions. I think it was a true flaw in the series.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#392 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:52 am
I agree, MPI was more light hearted
True.
and more entertaining.
Not true.
Selleck’s self-deprecating style was central to that quality and why we are all here still discussing the show, I think.
True.
Hawaii Five-O was straight drama and lacked that balance.
It did not need that balance. It was a crime of the week show and nobody did it better. Anything else would have been a distraction.
It was well done, and I enjoy many episodes,
True.
but Jack Lord crossed over to overly self-important on many occasions. I think it was a true flaw in the series.
Whoa... not true. The show had a total of zero flaws.

Good night. :lol:

Fleet Admiral

#393 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:56 pm I did not make the connection to raiders of the lost ark here (but I can't unsee it now). The female lead looks a lot like the actress from raiders (I noticed it last night before this message board filled in the obvious fact that the characters are both named Marion).

Based on timing - Raiders would have still been in theaters when this aired (movies had much longer theater life back then) - people would see movies multiple times in the theater - video rentals/vcrs were still a few years from the mainstream - once it was gone from the theater it was anyone's guess when it would be on tv.
I'm sorry but I don't see any resemblance between Karen Allen and Wendy Girard. Nor is there anything RAIDERS-ish about the episode. Unless you want to compare seeking a sunken treasure with seeking the Ark. But I think that's a stretch. It seems like the name "Marion" is just a coincidence. But if in fact they borrowed that name from RAIDERS (because it was the hottest thing out there at the time) then that's fine but I think that's where the similarities end. If they actually tried to spoof RAIDERS with this episode then that would be a different story - then "Marion" would certainly be a wink at the audience. But here it's just a name.

Pahonu

#394 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:04 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:52 am
I agree, MPI was more light hearted
True.
and more entertaining.
Not true.
Selleck’s self-deprecating style was central to that quality and why we are all here still discussing the show, I think.
True.
Hawaii Five-O was straight drama and lacked that balance.
It did not need that balance. It was a crime of the week show and nobody did it better. Anything else would have been a distraction.
It was well done, and I enjoy many episodes,
True.
but Jack Lord crossed over to overly self-important on many occasions. I think it was a true flaw in the series.
Whoa... not true. The show had a total of zero flaws.

Good night. :lol:
“The show had a total of zero flaws” :lol: :lol: :lol:
Finally some humor with Five-O!

To The Regiment
Admiral

#395 Post by To The Regiment »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:19 am
SeamanWolfe wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:56 pm I did not make the connection to raiders of the lost ark here (but I can't unsee it now). The female lead looks a lot like the actress from raiders (I noticed it last night before this message board filled in the obvious fact that the characters are both named Marion).

Based on timing - Raiders would have still been in theaters when this aired (movies had much longer theater life back then) - people would see movies multiple times in the theater - video rentals/vcrs were still a few years from the mainstream - once it was gone from the theater it was anyone's guess when it would be on tv.
I'm sorry but I don't see any resemblance between Karen Allen and Wendy Girard. Nor is there anything RAIDERS-ish about the episode. Unless you want to compare seeking a sunken treasure with seeking the Ark. But I think that's a stretch. It seems like the name "Marion" is just a coincidence. But if in fact they borrowed that name from RAIDERS (because it was the hottest thing out there at the time) then that's fine but I think that's where the similarities end. If they actually tried to spoof RAIDERS with this episode then that would be a different story - then "Marion" would certainly be a wink at the audience. But here it's just a name.
Actually...there are more similarities than just the name "Marion." In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Marion's father was an archaeologist. Indy went searching for him in Nepal, only to discover that Abner Ravenwood was dead. In Deadman's Channel, Marion's father is also a missing archaeologist who turns up dead. Both archaeologists were searching for artifacts that changed history. And both had dark-haired daughters named Marion, who are dressed in similar clothes/colors when they are first introduced. Coincidence?

Best,
To The Regiment

Fleet Admiral

#396 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

To The Regiment wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:18 pm And both had dark-haired daughters named Marion, who are dressed in similar clothes/colors when they are first introduced. Coincidence?

Best,
To The Regiment
Actually Wendy Girard was a brunette (lighter brown) which would account for more than 50% of the female population I'm sure. And as I recall Karen Allen had darker hair. Though you might have to provide screencaps of how both were dressed because I can't recall specific similarities in clothing. I recall a white dress on Karen Allen that kept getting torn. Can't remember anything like that on Girard.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#397 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Interesting that Wendy has a pretty extensive filmography. Mostly TV, but she was also in Annie Hall!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#398 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:58 pm
To The Regiment wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:18 pm And both had dark-haired daughters named Marion, who are dressed in similar clothes/colors when they are first introduced. Coincidence?

Best,
To The Regiment
Actually Wendy Girard was a brunette (lighter brown) which would account for more than 50% of the female population I'm sure. And as I recall Karen Allen had darker hair. Though you might have to provide screencaps of how both were dressed because I can't recall specific similarities in clothing. I recall a white dress on Karen Allen that kept getting torn. Can't remember anything like that on Girard.
Brunette doesn’t mean lighter brown and I’ve never heard of it used in that way until now.

Definition of brunette noun from the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary:
brunette noun
/bruˈnɛt/
a woman with dark brown hair

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... h/brunette

https://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/brunette

Some dictionaries say brown hair, some say dark brown hair. None say light brown. Both Marions would be considered brunettes.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#399 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:08 pm “The show had a total of zero flaws” :lol: :lol: :lol:
My thoughts exactly.

Serious question: I have never seen either Hawaii 5-0 show; should I watch either?

To The Regiment
Admiral

#400 Post by To The Regiment »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Best,
To The Regiment
Brunette doesn’t mean lighter brown and I’ve never heard of it used in that way until now.

brunette noun
/bruˈnɛt/

Some dictionaries say brown hair, some say dark brown hair. None say light brown. Both Marions would be considered brunettes.
That is correct, Pahonu. In my profession, I have always deferred to Merriam-Webster. It states a brunette is "a person having brown hair" and "of a dark brown color."

I also ended my previous post with a question, "Coincidence?" I'll leave it up to those more qualified than me to decide. However, I think the similarities are striking:
  • Two female characters, both named Marion
  • Both are caucasian, brunette, with similar age and features
  • Both have fathers who are archaeologists
  • Both fathers are eccentric professors
  • Both fathers devoted their lives to searching for mythical relics
  • Both fathers died during their search for the mythical relics
  • The episode and the movie both premiered in 1981
  • Selleck's connection to Raiders was no secret to the Magnum crew/writers
But...it could all be just one, big happy coincidence.

Best,
To The Regiment

Styles Bitchley

#401 Post by Styles Bitchley »

To The Regiment wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 am
I also ended my previous post with a question, "Coincidence?" I'll leave it up to those more qualified than me to decide. However, I think the similarities are striking:

Best,
To The Regiment
I think there's some middle ground here. I don't think the episode was meant to be a sly nod to Raiders. The coincidences just aren't obvious enough. I've watched both the film and the episode countless times and never noticed. If they meant it to be they'd have had to do something rather obvious (a knowing fourth wall break by TM would have been perfectly appropriate). Nevertheless, the list of coincidences is striking and I'd say that Diane Frolov either knowingly or unknowingly borrowed some of these elements for inspiration. Songwriters often do this accidentally without realizing that lick was in the back of their head after hearing it somewhere else. And some do it on purpose too! ;-)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Pahonu

#402 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:22 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:08 pm “The show had a total of zero flaws” :lol: :lol: :lol:
My thoughts exactly.

Serious question: I have never seen either Hawaii 5-0 show; should I watch either?
The original Hawaii Five-O is a well done police procedural, and was so for many seasons. There are many episodes I remember fondly. I think the series suffered in its final few seasons from the problem TS was specifically trying to avoid on Magnum when he wanted it ended after seven seasons. H5-O went on too long and it’s final seasons were more misses than hits. All of the supporting cast had left and Jack Lord tried to continue with a new cast. I can understand why, and find Jack Lord to be a good actor, but no where near enough to continue alone on the series. The subsequent cancellation in 1980 bears witness to this. My joking comment was that the show has essentially zero sense of humor and I think that was largely from Lord’s lack of self-deprication. That is not to say that shows need to have some humor, but a weekly series lasting 12 years can appear overly self-important if lacking any levity. I would recommend that you give the original series a viewing, at least for the first half, and maybe a season or two more.

I can’t speak much to the new series because I watched just a few episodes and lost interest. That may be the total of my review!
Last edited by Pahonu on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#403 Post by Pahonu »

To The Regiment wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 am
Pahonu wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Best,
To The Regiment

brunette noun
/bruˈnɛt/

That is correct, Pahonu. In my profession, I have always deferred to Merriam-Webster. It states a brunette is "a person having brown hair" and "of a dark brown color."

Best,
To The Regiment
I agree that the coincidences are many and your list is impressive. I would also agree with Styles’ analysis that these are probably less an intentional nod to Raiders than a subconscious use of what were suddenly very popular elements in filmmaking in 1981. Steven Spielberg had approached George Lucas about doing a James Bond-type film. Lucas said he would like to try something based more on the adventure serials from his childhood, long forgotten, rather than Bond. Raiders was the story he came up with. I think many screenwriters were influenced subsequently by this new, but really old, source of inspiration. Bellisario, himself developed Tales of the Gold Monkey along these lines.

Styles Bitchley

#404 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:11 am. Bellisario, himself developed Tales of the Gold Monkey along these lines.
Good point!

So, it’s Thursday. Is Magnum on tonight?

- J.Q.H.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#405 Post by T.Q. »

October 22, 1981

[CBS 8:00] Magnum, P.I.
The Woman On The Beach
Season 2, episode 3

With Judith Chapman (Sara Clifford), Jack Hogan (Henry Ellison), Kenneth Mars (Joseph), Rebecca Clemons (Librarian).

Rick meets a woman dressed in white at the King Kamehameha Club but when they go for a walk on the beach, the woman disappears.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.