Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#196 Post by terryfromkerry »

Loved this show in the '80's. In the past several weeks I have been able to re-visit the first 4 episodes of Season 1. Good stories, great humour, nostalgic '80's feel, nice chemistry between Jameson Parker & Gerald McRaney & awesome stunts. The 4th episode featured a helicopter & car chase. At one point in the chase the under carriage of the 'copter made contact with the car being pursued. Such a dangerous and potentially life ending stunt. It reminded me of the massive risks professional stunt men / women took regularly back in that era.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#197 Post by Little Garwood »

youtu.be/mQyVwZKbVX8

“On location with 'Simon & Simon' in 1986 at Santa Fe Depot and Balboa Park in San Diego”
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

jno
Captain

#198 Post by jno »

Thanks for posting that Little Garwood. 8)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#199 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yes! Thanks Little Gar! Anyone know what episode they were shooting?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#200 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 pm Yes! Thanks Little Gar! Anyone know what episode they were shooting?
I’m not 100% certain, but I believe one of them is The Case of Don Diablo from season 6.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#201 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:27 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 pm Yes! Thanks Little Gar! Anyone know what episode they were shooting?
I’m not 100% certain, but I believe one of them is The Case of Don Diablo from season 6.
Confirmed! Watched The Case of Don Diablo recently, an episode I’d rate a 7/10.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#202 Post by Little Garwood »

For years I’ve toyed with the idea of doing Simon & Simon episode reviews with the same kind of obsessive detail others here have done for Magnum, P.I..

For this, I wanted to focus on Simon & Simon seasons 5-8, which I don’t know as well as the first four seasons. I came up with a review template:

Season and Episode Number:
Episode Title:
Original Airdate:
Writer:
Director:
Synopsis:

Guest Cast:
Review/Observations:
Rating (1-10 stars):
Simon Back Story: Details of the characters’ past cases—both those from actual episodes and ones we never see but are referenced—characters’ personal back story and family history.
Memorable Dialogue:
Undercover Shtick: The Simons’ often funny routines when trying to sneak in somewhere. This was more common in season 1-4, but they still do the occasional act in these later years.
Notable Use of Music: Episode underscore and use of pop songs (rare, but there are instances)
1980s-ness: Things that stand out as well as the more obscure ‘80s references, culture, and fashions.
San Diego References: S&S is set in San Diego, but not often filmed there, so attempts to remind the viewer of San Diego will be noted.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#203 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I love you for this. Please proceed, amigo!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#204 Post by Little Garwood »

Thanks, Styles! Let me know when my droney style becomes too unbearable to read! On second thought, don’t! :wink:

The season 5 reviews will (hopefully) be posted every Thursday—In the tradition of Simon & Simon’s after-Magnum time slot!

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#205 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Season 5 probably has my all-time favorite episode - "Quint is Out". RIP William Smith. He really worked Rick over in that one. But my two favorite seasons are 2 and 3. I think those had the most number of my favorite episodes. 4 was also good but not as good as 2 and 3. And 5 was less good than 4. And 6 probably less so than 5, though it still had some good ones like "Judgment Call" (with Dan Blocker's son Dirk playing the obsessed dude) and "The Cop Who Came to Dinner". I think it went off the rails once Tim Reid left. Plus they took it down some weird dark paths which didn't suit the show at all. I actually made a point of watching the "Sudden Storm" episode (where Cecelia is raped) some few years back because I heard it was an excellent latter day S&S episode. I found it creepy but not in a good way. Something about it just felt off. I'm just not sure something like this works on a show like S&S. I remember an episode of HUNTER where McCall is raped by a diplomat from another country and Hunter has to help her get through it while also seek revenge against the perp. But there it totally works because it's HUNTER - a gritty cop show. But on S&S it somehow doesn't work and feels too bizarre. There was also the episode "May the Road Rise Up" which I heard was another excellent later episode but I don't think it left any impression on me at all. Something about some antique car and the Simons' father. But I don't recall anything else about it.

They should have pulled the plug at the end of season 6. Though to be fair even 6 seasons seems too much for that show. I'm surprised it went past season 4. It's just not that great a show. MPI definitely had something more special going for it. S&S seems like a second-rate MPI. In fact it was MPI that saved it from cancellation after the 1st season (the few episodes that I saw from that season were pretty poor). I think "Trapdoors" was the only passable one.

Styles Bitchley

#206 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I saw it as a totally different show, than a second rate MPI. I’d accept that criticism for Matt Houston, but S&S? Nah. Totally different feel. But there were fewer memorable episodes - i agree with that.

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#207 Post by Little Garwood »

S&S “works for me” :wink: in that I thought the brilliant chemistry between the two lead actors made even the most inane of plots watchable—same goes for MPI; it was those characters that made the series so enjoyable to me. There are only so many storylines to cover, but nuanced character interactions are infinite.

I will say that the darker tone took me some time to getting used to—those episodes were most likely influenced by the imo-it-hasn’t-aged-well-at-all Miami Vice—but I feel those S&S episodes are mostly well rendered.

Just my opinion, like IvanTheTerrible’s post was his opinion, though some might confuse it for “fact” the way he argues it. :lol:

Hunter was “a gritty cop show” the way The Munsters was “chilling gothic horror” and Gilligan’s Island was a “nailbiting struggle for survival in a hostile environment.” :lol:

Just my opinion.

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#208 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:23 pm
Hunter was “a gritty cop show” the way The Munsters was “chilling gothic horror” and Gilligan’s Island was a “nailbiting struggle for survival in a hostile environment.” :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s all. Carry on!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#209 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:23 pm S&S “works for me” :wink: in that I thought the brilliant chemistry between the two lead actors made even the most inane of plots watchable—same goes for MPI; it was those characters that made the series so enjoyable to me. There are only so many storylines to cover, but nuanced character interactions are infinite.

I will say that the darker tone took me some time to getting used to—those episodes were most likely influenced by the imo-it-hasn’t-aged-well-at-all Miami Vice—but I feel those S&S episodes are mostly well rendered.

Just my opinion, like IvanTheTerrible’s post was his opinion, though some might confuse it for “fact” the way he argues it. :lol:
I guess your mileage may vary. Rick and A.J. didn't do much for me. Their "interactions" weren't all that memorable. It sure wasn't TM and Higgy-baby. And the whole mismatched pair thing (one is neat, the other a slob) was already done, and done better, on THE ODD COUPLE a decade earlier. I guess I prefer Rick's cowboy way to A.J.'s office yuppie type but neither ever clicked with me. Plus I just never got a brothers vibe from them. It's like one of them was switched at birth.
Well, I for one sat on the edge of my seat to see if today would be the day they would get rescued. :D

I don't know what you'd call a "gritty cop show". I've heard of THE SHIELD and THE WIRE. Maybe those apply. But for 80s television HUNTER was pretty darn gritty. Hunter would blow the baddie away at the end Dirty Harry style, at a time when such a thing wasn't done on TV. That's why they almost axed the show for being too violent.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#210 Post by Little Garwood »

I respect your viewpoint re: Simon & Simon, and even though you dislike the show, a bumped thread is a bumped thread! :wink:

~Tom Selleck