Magnum P.I. the movie

For discussions about the long-rumored MPI movie

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Steve »

Mano wrote:I was at a picnick at "Robins Nest" last summer. The estate was looking better than in past years. EA told me that she had not been approached about using the her home for a magnum movie. I can't visualize a magnum movie any place else.

I can't imagine making a magnum movie without the original cast. With Hillermans failing health he could never do the part again (unless it was like Jim Backus in the last Gilligan movie). EA told me she couldn't imagine a Magum movie without Higggins. I must agree.

Lots of movies are pitched and fail, I hope this is one of them.
You do know, Mano that you have to tell us more about the picnic, meeting Eve Anderson, what all you were able to see on The Estate and if you have any pictures. Most of us have never actually gotten past the Tidal Pool area.......What a great day that must have been!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#17 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mano wrote:I was at a picnick at "Robins Nest" last summer. . . . .

More, more, more, tell us more, you lucky SOB!!!!! :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#18 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Mano wrote:I was at a picnick at "Robins Nest" last summer. The estate was looking better than in past years. EA told me that she had not been approached about using the her home for a magnum movie. I can't visualize a magnum movie any place else.

I can't imagine making a magnum movie without the original cast. With Hillermans failing health he could never do the part again (unless it was like Jim Backus in the last Gilligan movie). EA told me she couldn't imagine a Magum movie without Higggins. I must agree.

Lots of movies are pitched and fail, I hope this is one of them.
Yes, we must know more about the picnic! Sounds like you have a great in to the estate.

Mano
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#19 Post by Mano »

The owner of the estate has been active in community affairs for years. At one time she was the Waimanalo representative to the state house of representatives. She opens the grounds to elementary school groups to picnic on the lawn, use the playground and swim in the tidal pool. She is a very nice woman who interacts with the children and doesn’t mind talking story about Magnum. However she is leery about tourists coming on her property. The past few years I have volunteered to chaperone my daughter’s class on these outings. My wife makes fun of me for being so excited to spend the day there (she doesn’t understand us Magnum fanatics).
I don’t have access to any pictures right now, but I thought that the estate was looking pretty good this summer. However I must admit that those of us who live close to the beach in Hawaii may have lower standards than “mainlanders”. The sea air accelerates oxidation exponentially, anything with a nail or screw in it bleeds rust. Unpainted wood soaks up moisture and rots.
The trip to the estate was one of the highlights of last year. The grounds were beautiful, the ocean was perfect and while I watched my daughter play with her friends I could imagine hanging out with the Magnum gang. Overall, not a bad way to spend a day.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#20 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Sounds great. You are very fortunate to be able to do that, and it is very generous of her to open the estate.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Aloha Chief Mano! Welcome to the site! How are things on the "forbidden island" these days? ;)

Thanks for the info on the estate. Glad to hear that it is looking in better shape!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

ConchRepublican

#22 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mano wrote:The owner of the estate has been active in community affairs for years. At one time she was the Waimanalo representative to the state house of representatives. She opens the grounds to elementary school groups to picnic on the lawn, use the playground and swim in the tidal pool. She is a very nice woman who interacts with the children and doesn’t mind talking story about Magnum. However she is leery about tourists coming on her property. The past few years I have volunteered to chaperone my daughter’s class on these outings. My wife makes fun of me for being so excited to spend the day there (she doesn’t understand us Magnum fanatics).
I don’t have access to any pictures right now, but I thought that the estate was looking pretty good this summer. However I must admit that those of us who live close to the beach in Hawaii may have lower standards than “mainlanders”. The sea air accelerates oxidation exponentially, anything with a nail or screw in it bleeds rust. Unpainted wood soaks up moisture and rots.
The trip to the estate was one of the highlights of last year. The grounds were beautiful, the ocean was perfect and while I watched my daughter play with her friends I could imagine hanging out with the Magnum gang. Overall, not a bad way to spend a day.
You are the Man-o!!!!!!
CoziTV Superfan spot

Mano
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#23 Post by Mano »

James J. Walters wrote:Aloha Chief Mano! Welcome to the site! How are things on the "forbidden island" these days? ;)

I am currently on a small "desert" island in the middle of Iraq. I would consider paddling home, but there are to many sharks offshore. I'll have to wait for TC to rescue me in his blackhawk.

ConchRepublican

#24 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mano wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:Aloha Chief Mano! Welcome to the site! How are things on the "forbidden island" these days? ;)
I am currently on a small "desert" island in the middle of Iraq. I would consider paddling home, but there are to many sharks offshore. I'll have to wait for TC to rescue me in his blackhawk.
Wow . . . thank you for your service!

You're not one of the guys who did the Iraq version of the Magnum, PI intro on YouTube, are you?
CoziTV Superfan spot

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Frodoleader »

Stay safe Mano!!!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#26 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Mano thanks for your service and stay safe! If I can help you get anything let me know!

Mano
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#27 Post by Mano »

ConchRepublican wrote:
You're not one of the guys who did the Iraq version of the Magnum, PI intro on YouTube, are you?
No, I wish I was that creative. I'm sure it was fun to make.
I will be visiting the base where it was filmed in a few weeks.

One of my goals is to see all the places where MPI was filmed. I searched for months to figure out where the driving scene on the opening credits was filmed. I may be one of the few Magnum fans who has been to the place where Ramadi PI was filmed.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#28 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Rawson Marshall Thurber is going to be the director of the movie, with Matthew McConuaghey as Magnum, Steve Zahn as Rick, Tyrese Gibson as T.C. and William H. Macy as Higgins. The movie will be released in 2011. (this is all the info).

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#29 Post by Agatha »

Tom Selleck talked a bit about the movie in an interview that he did with someone from TV Guide about Jesse Stone: Thin Ice. Not a lot of time and not sure about how these things work but what he seemed to be saying is that he doesn't know what the status of the movie is because everytime they get started on it, the studio changes hands and they have to start over. He's not in favor of a "reunion" show per se...wants it to be a good script and a class act...but wants the original characters so there will be a reunion flavor to it. He seemed pleased about the fact that anytime the public is polled, "we" want him to play Magnum.

I know I'm not remembering this well. I wish I was as good at videos and links as some of you are. So mostly this is an FYI that there is a new interview in which the movie is discussed. I'll let you check it out if you're interested.

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#30 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

He mentioned it one the Regis show as well. Pretty much echoed what you said Agatha.