I’m starting to like it

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

I’m starting to like it

#1 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Well, I’m an old school kinda guys and I’m averse to some changes. I’m well on my way to being a curmudgeon as I head into the back nine of my forties. It’s taken me some time to watch some of the episodes of the new show (it’s on Amazon Prime and we just got access to that).

I’ve just hit episode three of the first season and...I’m actually starting to like it! The casting isn’t bothering me and the little nods to the original series (Coops, Luther, etc) feel like a wink from the producers. They’re talking to me on another level. Sort of like the animated kids movies that have some jokes that kids would never get but they keep the adults interested.

Maybe it’s because I watched the latest episode with my eleven year old, and he really liked it...

Just thought I’d pop in to say I’m coming around. This is made for today and like it or not, it’s not 1982 anymore...lol
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: I’m starting to like it

#2 Post by Laohu »

Hi Styles ,
Glad you are enjoying season 1 there are a lot Easter eggs in the show so have fun trying to spot them . I think the show gets better after season one .It took awhile for the writers to figure it all out it seemed that they tried to write it like Hawaii 50 to start with . They really have a great cast it is enjoyable watching them grow into the roles .

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:08 pm Well, I’m an old school kinda guys and I’m averse to some changes. I’m well on my way to being a curmudgeon as I head into the back nine of my forties. It’s taken me some time to watch some of the episodes of the new show (it’s on Amazon Prime and we just got access to that).

I’ve just hit episode three of the first season and...I’m actually starting to like it! The casting isn’t bothering me and the little nods to the original series (Coops, Luther, etc) feel like a wink from the producers. They’re talking to me on another level. Sort of like the animated kids movies that have some jokes that kids would never get but they keep the adults interested.

Maybe it’s because I watched the latest episode with my eleven year old, and he really liked it...

Just thought I’d pop in to say I’m coming around. This is made for today and like it or not, it’s not 1982 anymore...lol
Hey now!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:36 pm
Hey now!
Haha. Not that I actually believe it. But sometimes I have to get with the times.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:55 pm
Hey now!
Haha. Not that I actually believe it. But sometimes I have to get with the times.
CoziTV Superfan spot

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by T.Q. »

ConchRepublican wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:59 pm
Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:55 pm
Hey now!
I tried to revoke his Magnum PI fan card but met resistance.

Perhaps a permanent ban? :lol: :lol: :lol:

DOH! Just saw you deputized him. Kinda hard to ban him now. :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Can I put him in my bamboo cage?? Huh? Huh?? Can I? Can I? :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by T.Q. »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:29 pm Can I put him in my bamboo cage?? Huh? Huh?? Can I? Can I? :D
Be careful.

What do we really know about Bitchley?

Might be dangerous.

:P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Styles Bitchley

#9 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Well...I'm up to Episode 6 of Season 1 and I'm still liking it. Sure, it's not a show that is going to capture my soul like the original series, but it's fun watching someone have fun with a premise that I know so well. It follows a normal process for me, which is to reject change at first, but remain open to changing my mind. I think it's a good way to live life. Sometimes I change, sometimes I don't. In this case, it's only adding to my Magnum fan experience. Again, it may have more to do with my kid enjoying it. Watching him makes me rethink my stick-in-the-mud attitude. ;-)

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

The only good that comes out of watching Mini-MAGpi is it hastens the building of my bamboo cages.

Styles Bitchley

#11 Post by Styles Bitchley »

All jokes aside, is there a general understanding that trolling this section of the forum is acceptable behaviour? I'm not sure it accomplishes anything other than discouraging people from participating...

- J.Q.H.

ConchRepublican

#12 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:50 pm All jokes aside, is there a general understanding that trolling this section of the forum is acceptable behaviour? I'm not sure it accomplishes anything other than discouraging people from participating...
Hey, we've been good for a while! :D

But I understand, which Is why I usually give it a wide berth . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#13 Post by Pahonu »

Trolls should tread carefully, now that Styles has been deputized. He has the POWER! :lol: :lol: :lol:

To The Regiment
Vice Admiral

#14 Post by To The Regiment »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:50 pm All jokes aside, is there a general understanding that trolling this section of the forum is acceptable behaviour? I'm not sure it accomplishes anything other than discouraging people from participating...
I'm curious about the level of participation on this site from "newer" fans of the Magnum reboot. I spend far too much time scrolling through Instagram (don't we all?) and follow several Magnum hashtags and fan accounts on there. It seems there is a huge divide between fans who actively post Magnum-related content on social media. Diehard fans of the original Magnum, PI seem to skew more male and middle age. Not surprisingly, many of them post a lot of gun content and several are military veterans. @jackcarrusa and @thevintage1911 are just two examples (Give them a look). On the other hand, most of the content I see posted related to the Magnum reboot comes from younger females. A good deal of that content is devoted to the "love story" between Juliet Higgins and Magnum, or "Miggy" as they're now called by these fans. For example: @magnumandhiggypi2018 , @you2higgybaby and @magxhiggy, and on and on. So I wonder, how many of these new, active fans of the reboot are participating on Magnum Mania?

Best,
To The Regiment

Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

To The Regiment wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:30 pm
I'm curious about the level of participation on this site from "newer" fans of the Magnum reboot. I spend far too much time scrolling through Instagram (don't we all?) and follow several Magnum hashtags and fan accounts on there. It seems there is a huge divide between fans who actively post Magnum-related content on social media. Diehard fans of the original Magnum, PI seem to skew more male and middle age. Not surprisingly, many of them post a lot of gun content and several are military veterans. @jackcarrusa and @thevintage1911 are just two examples (Give them a look). On the other hand, most of the content I see posted related to the Magnum reboot comes from younger females. A good deal of that content is devoted to the "love story" between Juliet Higgins and Magnum, or "Miggy" as they're now called by these fans. For example: @magnumandhiggypi2018 , @you2higgybaby and @magxhiggy, and on and on. So I wonder, how many of these new, active fans of the reboot are participating on Magnum Mania?

Best,
To The Regiment
I'm sure the female fans are fawning over Jay Hernandez. I bet it's the same women (mostly middle aged) that were obsessed with Alex O'Loughlin on the fake Five-0. Some of them were downright rabid - they got jealous of any woman who his character dated on the show. Seriously! Like they couldn't separate reality from make-believe. As if they had a realistic chance of being with him in real life. Totally weird. Probably those same women are now fawning over MiniMag. For them it was never about the show or the stories. It was just obsessing over the lead actor. I think that's what separates the fans of these shallow reboots from those of the original show.

Seriously... if you ask me about episodes of the MPI reboot all I can say is there was the one with Carl Weathers, there was one with Ben Vereen, there was the one with Cindi Lauper. Aside from that I don't remember anything else about those episodes. Compare this to the original show. You'll never hear me say "oh that's the one with Robert Loggia" or "the one with the Ferrers and the Lockharts" or "the one with Erin Gray" or "the one with Ted Danson". Why? Because the guest stars were just one aspect of the episodes. There was much more there than that. Each episode was its own identifiable entity with a distinct flavor and feel and story. When I think of "Skin Deep" I don't think "oh yeah the one with Ian McShane". First and foremost I think of Erin Wolfe and her apparently blowing her head off, then the great reveal that she's alive on an island - shades of the film noir classic LAURA. Also Magnum's Vietnam flashbacks. McShane is just another part of this fascinating tale. You don't get this with the reboot. It all feels generic, PC, all gloss and no character, each one indistinguishable from the next. All you remember is Carl Weathers popped up. That's not the sign of a good show.