Season 3 Episode 1: Double Jeopardy (3.1)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

Perfect
17%
One of the Best
No votes
Excellent
25%
Very Good
25%
Pretty Good
8%
Decent
8%
Average at Best
No votes
Not So Good
No votes
Pretty Bad
No votes
Just Awful
8%
Refuse to Watch
8%

Total votes: 12

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 3 Episode 1: Double Jeopardy (3.1)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Magnum and Higgins' new clients hire them to find their missing brother, leading to Higgins being shot and TC abducted when a secret case of revenge is revealed during the investigation.
Last edited by KENJI on Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 3 Episode 1: Double Jeopardy (3.1)

#2 Post by KENJI »

The original show had an episode with the same title......I believe it was in season 2.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Laohu »

GUEST CAST:
Kimee Balmilero (Dr. Noelani Cunha)
Shawn Garnett (Flippa)
Jay Ali (Dr. Ethan Shah)
Paola Nunez (Helen)
Brian Letscher (Bruce)
Kap Te’o-Tafiti (Shota)
Juan-Pablo Veizaga (Max Martinez)
Andrea Johnson (Anesthesiologist)
Nikol Luoma (Nurse)
Andre West (Dr. Alan Healy)
Keola Simpson (HPD Sergeant)

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Laohu »

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KENJI »

A sneak peek at this episode......spoiler inside so you've been warned. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=025fGOnPHPA

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

A very quick teaser for Season 3..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nupxs9E5EJE

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

Higgins suggestion of changing the Ferrari plates from Robin-2 to Higgins-2 actually happens in this episode. I can't say I like it, but I'm sure the plates will return to the originals soon enough.
Magnum is definitely out of sorts with Dr. Ethan Shaw asking her out on a date.
He even tried to have a deep conversation with Higgins after leaving the hospital, but she basically blew it off by changing the subject. At least she changed her mind on evicting him out of the guest house....as if that was going to happen.
I did smile when Higgins called Thomas a Wally when he was putting her in the Ferrari after being shot.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Laohu »

Very solid season opener . The cast has really grow comfortable in there roles and the writers have done a great job of scaling Gordon’s role back . Really looking forward to see where they go from here .

Amian
Admiral

#9 Post by Amian »

Good episode, though would have liked a little more sleuthing instead of exegesis after the fact. Main point of this episode is the Magnum/Higgins relationship and I think the episode did a nice job with this. Magnum getting serious and Higgins getting silly (on meds and later when deflecting Magnum in the car) is a nice reversal.

Also, Rick carries a gun like that? Not an expert, but surely that can't be legal, can it? Anyone with more knowledge on the model want to chime in?

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Laohu »

Hi Amian ,
It is mentioned that Gordon does confiscate the rifle from Rick . Knowing this I would say that Rick does not have all the proper paper work to own the rifle . I would not go as far as saying that no one is allowed to own one , each state has it’s own laws .

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KENJI »

I was surprised when Thomas covers the cost of the blown Ferrari tires by pawning the Rolex that his father gave him. Higgins was surprised too, saying you loved that watch (something like that) and Thomas blew it off saying something like he'll get it back when they get paid from another case. I'm betting Higgins gets his watch back for him.....maybe it will be a Christmas present. .....time will tell.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KENJI »

Amian wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:24 pm Good episode, though would have liked a little more sleuthing instead of exegesis after the fact. Main point of this episode is the Magnum/Higgins relationship and I think the episode did a nice job with this. Magnum getting serious and Higgins getting silly (on meds and later when deflecting Magnum in the car) is a nice reversal.

Also, Rick carries a gun like that? Not an expert, but surely that can't be legal, can it? Anyone with more knowledge on the model want to chime in?
A good trivia question would be.....What did Rick nickname his sniper rifle?

Answer:

Betty

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Laohu »

KENJI wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:12 am I was surprised when Thomas covers the cost of the blown Ferrari tires by pawning the Rolex that his father gave him. Higgins was surprised too, saying you loved that watch (something like that) and Thomas blew it off saying something like he'll get it back when they get paid from another case. I'm betting Higgins gets his watch back for him.....maybe it will be a Christmas present. .....time will tell.

Hi Kenji ,
I think you are right about Higgins getting the watch back for Magnum . Scene would be something like Magnum finally gets the money to get it out of hock but only to find out that it has been sold already when he tries to buy it back . Later we find out that Higgins is the one who bought it because she was afraid that someone else would buy it before Magnum had enough money to get it back . I don’t think Christmas will figure it to it because of all the filming delays and uncertainties they have had this year Maybe a birthday? .

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

KENJI wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:42 am Higgins suggestion of changing the Ferrari plates from Robin-2 to Higgins-2 actually happens in this episode. I can't say I like it, but I'm sure the plates will return to the originals soon enough.
Magnum is definitely out of sorts with Dr. Ethan Shaw asking her out on a date.
He even tried to have a deep conversation with Higgins after leaving the hospital, but she basically blew it off by changing the subject. At least she changed her mind on evicting him out of the guest house....as if that was going to happen.
I did smile when Higgins called Thomas a Wally when he was putting her in the Ferrari after being shot.
The new season couldn't help but be better with the exit of the old producer. It was also the right move to elevate Higgins to co-star status, she has as many lines if not more than Jay's Magnum.
I like'd the Wally bit as well, there should be more of that as if you deleted her accent there isn't a lot about her that signals she isn't American if one just tuned in. An upper class highly educated
aristo should be markedly different in a definite English way in how she deports herself, in contrast to Magnum's crew. Like Classic Higgins, pained disdain for Magnum's shenanigans couldn't
help but show up in her reactions all the time.
Classic Magnum fans, this remake is no longer the train wreck it was when this series started. If you can just put the original Magnum out of your mind and accept this version as a light weight
friday night diversion, it's perfectly acceptable. Jay suffered by comparison to Selleck as anyone would, so the producers junked the original dynamic, it's now a Hawaiian Eye like detective
agency show, with a little 77 Sunset Strip thrown in. Two lead private investigators and their helpers. Give it another shot, I think you might change your mind about putting the whole
production on a slow boat to China.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by KENJI »

Laohu wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:37 am
KENJI wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:12 am I was surprised when Thomas covers the cost of the blown Ferrari tires by pawning the Rolex that his father gave him. Higgins was surprised too, saying you loved that watch (something like that) and Thomas blew it off saying something like he'll get it back when they get paid from another case. I'm betting Higgins gets his watch back for him.....maybe it will be a Christmas present. .....time will tell.

Hi Kenji ,
I think you are right about Higgins getting the watch back for Magnum . Scene would be something like Magnum finally gets the money to get it out of hock but only to find out that it has been sold already when he tries to buy it back . Later we find out that Higgins is the one who bought it because she was afraid that someone else would buy it before Magnum had enough money to get it back . I don’t think Christmas will figure it to it because of all the filming delays and uncertainties they have had this year Maybe a birthday? .
Hi Laohu,

Boy they didn't waste any time getting his watch back (S3E2)......too bad they didn't stretch it out a few more episodes.....anyways the return of the watch scene was still good, bringing the two characters a little closer (even with Higgins dating Ethan). In the first few seasons we saw Higgins watching from the sidelines as Magnum was the one dating Abbey etc.. Now it appears Magnum will be doing the watching. I'm sure something will be up with Ethan or he gets killed and Magnum will be there for Higgins bringing the two that much closer. This story line they are stretching out and milking for as long as they can which makes sense.