Change of heart - Magnum Reboot is better than no Magnum!

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KingKamehameha
Ensign

Change of heart - Magnum Reboot is better than no Magnum!

#1 Post by KingKamehameha »

Well my fellow Magnum fans, after revisiting season one I have had a change of heart about the Magnum reboot. I had my own ideas about how it should have been done - as a tie in to the original show where Magnum's daughter Lilly would have taken up the family business after her own stint in the Navy. She could have been a graduate of the Naval Academy, etc. I would have loved for the producers to have bought the old Eve Anderson estate, a.k.a. Robbins Nest. But I guess trying to come up with another story line idea for a helicopter pilot and a club manager wingman to replace T.C. and Rick would have been difficult. It would have been ridiculous for them to be the children of the original T.C. and Rick. Not to mention how do you come up with another Higgins? Although it would have been funny for a new Higgins to have been the child of one of Jonathan's four illegitimate half-brothers.

Anyway, I still don't think that the Magnum reboot is great, and I'm still skeptical about casting Jay Hernandez as Magnum (too old, short), but I'm enjoying the scenery, plots, and cameos. So maybe the reboot is better than no new Magnum at all!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Re: Change of heart - Magnum Reboot is better than no Magnum

#2 Post by T.Q. »

KingKamehameha wrote:Well my fellow Magnum fans, after revisiting season one I have had a change of heart about the Magnum reboot. I had my own ideas about how it should have been done - as a tie in to the original show where Magnum's daughter Lilly would have taken up the family business after her own stint in the Navy. She could have been a graduate of the Naval Academy, etc. I would have loved for the producers to have bought the old Eve Anderson estate, a.k.a. Robbins Nest. But I guess trying to come up with another story line idea for a helicopter pilot and a club manager wingman to replace T.C. and Rick would have been difficult. It would have been ridiculous for them to be the children of the original T.C. and Rick. Not to mention how do you come up with another Higgins? Although it would have been funny for a new Higgins to have been the child of one of Jonathan's four illegitimate half-brothers.

Anyway, I still don't think that the Magnum reboot is great, and I'm still skeptical about casting Jay Hernandez as Magnum (too old, short), but I'm enjoying the scenery, plots, and cameos. So maybe the reboot is better than no new Magnum at all!
Removed for political correctness and lack of humour.

:P
Last edited by T.Q. on Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

And you feel being bullied around by Lahonu and me.
Time for a reality-check.....

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by T.Q. »

Bondtoys.de wrote:And you feel being bullied around by Lahonu and me.
Time for a reality-check.....
Except I'm just being a silly goofball and joking around.

You're as serious as a heart attack.

At least Lahonu can joke around a bit.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Very funny labeling other people mentally ill when they have different opinions.

That could well be all a matter of taste, if you would not be crying crocodile tears and feel being bullied (like pitbulls) and namecalled by the slightest remark from me and Laohu - in the last case when I universally used the term „moaners“.

You are pretty agressive all way round and then your excuse is „I was joking“ while taking the slightest word from us totally seriously while your „jokes“ are moving more and more to the nasty and offensive side - just to please the other haters of the reboot.

You are a quite hateful man and I seriously feel sorry for you!

Happy Thanksgiving!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

Hi Guys,

I think it's time for a ceasefire and we start acting more Magnum-like. This type of negative back and forth that is directed at one another isn't what this site is about, for the most part we try and keep our comments civil, constructive/positive when possible and of course we can agree to disagree on things, but we don't need to go after one another and yes, sometimes it's best to say nothing for the better of others or even this site. We've always been proud of our great bunch on the best site, but unfortunately, we are starting to get a black smudge on our reputation which is a real shame. :oops: I'll always be an original MM fan and still feel it's superior to the reboot -pure magic what Selleck and the gang pulled off and I'm sure some prefer the reboot better, that's there opinion and they're entitled to it. By watching the reboot it doesn't mean anyone is being disloyal to the original either.
I'm all for being silly or goofy which is very Magnum-like, but that comes at your own expense not at someone else's. I would like to see more members come onboard and make comments, but if we are going to attack one another it will scare them off. Lets be honest, the number of members that chime in on a regular basis here are very few. The original show was done a looong time ago and we've talked/covered almost every topic imaginable. The Reboot Section actually gives our site a much needed shot in the arm with new members, different topics, opinions etc., etc.. I'm sure some of the younger viewers of the reboot are now watching the original which also strengthens the original show fan base - a win-win. I agree with some of KK's comments and also agree the Hawaiian scenery and the cars are still worthy of a look on occasion. I enjoy comparing parts of the two shows even though they are not the same and like finding the few Easter eggs/similarities that are hidden in there too. The writers still need to tighten it up as many of the plots are predictable, boring or even way over the top, but some of them or parts of them have been decent enough, still not OMG quality though. Having said that, some of the characters are pulling their weight and delivering a decent to good performance, while others not so much. To be fair, even the original show had a few weak stories, characters etc. that could've been better. :shock: I'm sure some will disagree and that's okay too.

So what do you think?
Any chance we can all try and get along and buff this smudge out of the MM paint job before it turns into a bloody gouge?? :wink:

:D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by T.Q. »

KENJI wrote:Hi Guys,

I think it's time for a ceasefire and we start acting more Magnum-like. This type of negative back and forth that is directed at one another isn't what this site is about, for the most part we try and keep our comments civil, constructive/positive when possible and of course we can agree to disagree on things, but we don't need to go after one another and yes, sometimes it's best to say nothing for the better of others or even this site. We've always been proud of our great bunch on the best site, but unfortunately, we are starting to get a black smudge on our reputation which is a real shame. :oops: I'll always be an original MM fan and still feel it's superior to the reboot -pure magic what Selleck and the gang pulled off and I'm sure some prefer the reboot better, that's there opinion and they're entitled to it. By watching the reboot it doesn't mean anyone is being disloyal to the original either.
I'm all for being silly or goofy which is very Magnum-like, but that comes at your own expense not at someone else's. I would like to see more members come onboard and make comments, but if we are going to attack one another it will scare them off. Lets be honest, the number of members that chime in on a regular basis here are very few. The original show was done a looong time ago and we've talked/covered almost every topic imaginable. The Reboot Section actually gives our site a much needed shot in the arm with new members, different topics, opinions etc., etc.. I'm sure some of the younger viewers of the reboot are now watching the original which also strengthens the original show fan base - a win-win. I agree with some of KK's comments and also agree the Hawaiian scenery and the cars are still worthy of a look on occasion. I enjoy comparing parts of the two shows even though they are not the same and like finding the few Easter eggs/similarities that are hidden in there too. The writers still need to tighten it up as many of the plots are predictable, boring or even way over the top, but some of them or parts of them have been decent enough, still not OMG quality though. Having said that, some of the characters are pulling their weight and delivering a decent to good performance, while others not so much. To be fair, even the original show had a few weak stories, characters etc. that could've been better. :shock: I'm sure some will disagree and that's okay too.

So what do you think?
Any chance we can all try and get along and buff this smudge out of the MM paint job before it turns into a bloody gouge?? :wink:

I'll stop jokin' around then. Sheesh.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Thanks Kenji,

Just to be clear:
Noone demands that anybody finds the reboot better than the original ( and I don‘t think that the reboot is better).

But people who enjoy the reboot should not be constantly mocked and attacked - just like it has happened in virtually every reboot topic

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by T.Q. »

Bondtoys.de wrote:Thanks Kenji,

Just to be clear:
Noone demands that anybody finds the reboot better than the original ( and I don‘t think that the reboot is better).

But people who enjoy the reboot should not be constantly mocked and attacked - just like it has happened in virtually every reboot topic

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI = The voice of reason :higgins:

I've commented both pro and con on the reboot.

I'll continue to watch, in fact, I've been recording each episode since the beginning...you know...for "posterity". Right now I'm trying to find some way of getting last weeks episode (2-9) recorded, because the "new" disc I had in my recorder set with the timer, had some sort of "glitch" in it and it didn't record. I'm using DVD-R discs, so once it's recoreded on, that's it...can't erase and re-record. I've been putting two episodes on each disc, and the quality is very good, at least on the equipment I have available. I think the error code was E6.."This disc cannot be recorded on"...but no explanation beyond that. The disc was brand spanking new, taken straight out of the case the stack of them came in, and I had no problems with any before this one. Now I'm missing that episode, and will just have to watch for it to be reshown, but that's about a 90/10 shot the way I see it. I don't have a DVR or even a cable box...I have a Roku tv ($99!) and a Magnavox VCR/DVD player/recorder. Anyway, that's not the point of my post, but it does illustrate my interest in both versions of one of the greatest TV series ever created/made. I still don't like the way the new show is set up, don't care for Hernandez as TM, or Higgins being a woman, among other things...but like everyone here...I didn't have a vote, and Lenkov did not call me to ask me what I thought! :lol: It is what it is, if you don't like it, just don't watch it. Turning the channel or the set off, has always worked for me...but I guess I'm too easy.

The thing I did want to point out is that even though the reboot target audience is far removed from the original, and probably IS better to those it was aimed at...some of them seem to forget, or not be cognizant of the fact that...without the original...there would BE no "reboot". It's like children having no regard or respect for their parents, even though they (the children) would not exist without them (the parents).

I've seen/observed the same thing in the music world going back to the 60's. People say how lame and outdated the Beatles are...BUT most of the groups that came after them, especially immediately after....probably would not have existed had they not been inspired, motivated by the"originals" The Beatles. The Beatles themselves gave credit to all the people they grew up with and admired and emulated...Chuck Berry, Elvis, Little Richard, Muddy Waters..etc., etc., etc.. They openly realized and admitted that without those who came before them, they likely would not be who/what they were.

So like some of the Beatles songs, which have been covered too many times to count, by too many artists to name, there are going to be people, (mostly younger folk who want to think "they" are "original") who like the cover versions better than what the Beatles came up with...BUT the fact remains, the originals came from where they did, and the covers would not exist had they not!

So all I'm saying is, what I've said before, Tom Selleck IS Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV, and everybody else in the role, who comes after him is just playing the part, and I think the people who like the reboot better should at least acknowledge that and give credit where credit is due. Nothing wrong with liking the "new" version better, if that's your preference, but let's never foget, that without the original, there would BE no "reboot".

Ok...I participated...good - bad - or indifferent. Heading back to my cave now. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

I haven‘t seen anybody being ignorant or disrespectful to the original show.
And so far, I have to see somebody who writes that he prefers the reboot over the original Magnum P.I.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by KENJI »

T.Q. wrote:
KENJI wrote:Hi Guys,

So what do you think?

I'll stop jokin' around then. Sheesh.

Hi TQ,

I think your gifs are great (including this one -well done) and you're definitely entitled to your opinion about the reboot. I just think we can agree to disagree on certain topics like the reboot without going down the personal road which can be a slippery slope. Not trying to be a party pooper, just want the MM party to continue without it turning into a verbal fist fight where we no longer want to get together a chat.
I agree, a sense of humor is important and very Magnum-like, if you wouldn't mind directing it at the show or even yourself then I think everyone can get along a bit better. Keep the gifs coming-love them and also keep us posted on the ratings too!!
Group hug gang, huddle in!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Laohu »

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hey Laohu,

I always read and enjoy your posts and particularly love your shared passion and attention to detail regarding the Aloha shirts on the new show.
In Kenji's defense I believe his attempt to get all concerned to take a step back and move past the rancour that has developed is absolutely genuine. Being self critical in hindsight I should have said something constructive earlier. But to be honest I was in denial and hoping this serious disagreement between members would just blow over.

For me personally this site has always been a pleasent distraction and I hope it can be so again.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:Image

Laohu, at least we have a little fun teasing each other back-n-forth.

I feel bad anyone else thinks there are "serious" disagreements here.

Usually it's just... I make a joke... bondtoys gets personally offended somehow... and so-on and so-on and so-on. :P