Season 1 Episode 18: A Kiss Before Dying (1.18)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
23%
8.5 (Very Good)
31%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
15%
7.5 (Decent)
8%
7.0 (Average at Best)
No votes
6.5 (Not So Good)
No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
No votes
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
23%

Total votes: 13

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Season 1 Episode 18: A Kiss Before Dying (1.18)

#1 Post by KENJI »

Just a title at this time.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 18: A Kiss Before Dying (1.18)

#2 Post by Laohu »

Magnum P.I. - Episode 1.18 - A Kiss Before Dying - Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at February 25, 2019 1 Comment
MAGNUM P.I.

Press Release

WHEN THE DOBERMANS DIG UP WHAT APPEARS TO BE A HUMAN BONE, MAGNUM AND HIGGINS HELP KATSUMOTO INVESTIGATE THE MURDER OF HIS FORMER MENTOR, ON “MAGNUM P.I.,” MONDAY, MARCH 11

Roger E. Mosley, Who Portrayed T.C. on the Original “Magnum P.I.,” Guest Stars

“A Kiss Before Dying” – When the Dobermans dig up what appears to be a human bone, Magnum and Higgins help Katsumoto investigate the murder of his former mentor, on MAGNUM P.I., Monday, March 11 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Roger E. Mosley, who portrayed T.C. on the original “Magnum P.I.,” guest stars as Booky, a Vietnam veteran and barber who offers sage advice and a great haircut

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Here is a sneak peek of this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wUZo-4n0qs

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KENJI »

It was good to see Roger again!
We even see a much younger pic of him on the wall that we are all used to seeing....the TRUE TC....nice to see they did that.
He did great in his small role, but they could've ditched the small dance scene.
There was mention of Icepick in this episode, maybe we are getting closer to seeing him in person.
Quite a few pics of Rabbit Island in this episode. The opening scene has Magnum rowing on the estate beach and we can see Rabbit Island clear as day..........no sign of the tidal pool though. :wink: I think it's the first time they've tried to position the estate that close to Rabbit Island and the original estate location. They usually show Chinaman's Hat. Also nice to see no automatic gun fire in this episode!! Finding the cell phone in the grave was a bit too convenient and easy to find. Magnum and Gordie are getting along more and Katsumoto even gives his friend's HPD badge to him as a way of saying thanks.
Last edited by KENJI on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Laohu »

Kanji I think we have already seen Icepick . Rick goes to visit him in Jail after his girlfriend poker game gets robbed.

I agree with you about finding the cell phone making it to easy to tell you the truth I thought it was going to end up being the kids father who did it . Having Roger on the show was great I hope he shows up again from time to time . I enjoyed the episode I think they are starting to move away from all the automatic weapons fire and let the plot drive the story . I still think they need to work on the pacing of the story , feels like they have to solve it to fast at the end because they only have a hour . Looking forward to next weeks show .

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KENJI »

Laohu wrote:Kanji I think we have already seen Icepick . Rick goes to visit him in Jail after his girlfriend poker game gets robbed.

I agree with you about finding the cell phone making it to easy to tell you the truth I thought it was going to end up being the kids father who did it . Having Roger on the show was great I hope he shows up again from time to time . I enjoyed the episode I think they are starting to move away from all the automatic weapons fire and let the plot drive the story . I still think they need to work on the pacing of the story , feels like they have to solve it to fast at the end because they only have a hour . Looking forward to next weeks show .
You are absolutely right about seeing Icepick.....I completely forgot about him in that episode! :oops:
I agree they rush things to keep it within the one hour and need to pace it out better.
I would like to see more of Roger too....fingers crossed!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KingKC »

I liked this one. They are getting better. I definitely liked Roger M. as the barber. He brought back the past quite well. I guess the new Rick and TC will be do-gooders or the knights in shining armor to save whoever is in trouble at the climax of the episode or both. I wish they would show Rick in a job and more of T.C. and his tourist business, though. At least there were no outrageous action stunts and automatic weaponry scenes.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Laohu »

I think the writers are learning to write for the actors and characters that they have . To start with they tried to make it to much like Hawaii 50 . Big gun battles and big explosions are the norm .
I think we might have to wait until season two to see where Rick works . My theory is that building another big set is not in the budget for this year after all they spent a small fortune in the pilot and flying a helicopter around is not cheap . Just a theory but hoping we get to see it at some point to .

Rands
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Rands »

Like all, I was happy to see Roger Mosley on the screen. It took me a moment to recognize him, but after he spoke there was no doubt it was Roger. Will he have a recurring role on the reboot, only Lenkov knows.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

I agree with all that everyone has said, no automatic gun fire, I like the way they are developing TC into a big teddy bear with a heart and I am loving Steven Hill playing him (I suspect Roger does as well). I like the entire cast and find them charming and will never hate on them as they were put into an almost impossible situation.
The chemistry between Thomas, Juliette and Katsumoto is growing every week as the Lt. and Thomas find they sometimes need each other. Good job writers, I look forward to the April sweeps episodes.....
(Interesting how Kimee Balmilero seems to be appearing in as many Magnum PI episodes as she does in Hawaii 5-0)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Laohu wrote:Kanji I think we have already seen Icepick . Rick goes to visit him in Jail after his girlfriend poker game gets robbed.

Laohu,
You should be on the writing team, it would have been a better twist if the Dad was guilty. Everything in your post is spot on, especially "let the plot drive the show."
It looks like Higgins and Magnum are de facto team members now and any supposed distaste on Higgy Baby's part for Magnum's life style is gone, they suddenly
have a chemistry so maybe this is the way to go for this series.
Maybe, as some posters have said, it's better if the reboot is a homage to the original rather than an exact copy because it could only suffer by comparison, Jay
at best only a much smaller shadow of Selleck's Magnum. On that basis I don't loathe it anymore on sight and will now admit this last episode is decent entertainment.
Beaut scenery, the banter is much better, beguiling Perdita as always delivers in the acting department, no massive gunfight, and Roger made you smile at his turn as
a barber. Plus they are civilians after all, the war is over, the impact of the story lines honoring their service is lessened if they overwhelm the viewer with it non stop.
So it was nice to see a regular detective show. Hopefully the next episode in two weeks - which looks to be a remake of when an alone Selleck tread water in the ocean
with no boat in sight - improves even more.

---------------------------
“When you go down in deep water, you’re scared. You don’t know how scared you can be. Soon, you forget. But the reef never forgets. It just waits.”
...Gilbert Roland Beneath the 12 Mile Reef (1953)

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

"Where some jerk tells you to stand down"

"Hey - usually that's me"

:D

I agree, the series is getting more confident and overall is getting better.
I have also enjoyed that Juliet stayed away from the investigative work and I really hope that she will make it more difficult for Magnum to get his way.
I see some potential.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Laohu »

Did anyone catch the part where Katsumoto looks over at the steering wheel cluster to see how fast they going then complains about the speed . Magnum then tells him what gear there in the paddle shifts down to slow down .
I can’t really call this a blooper but in the the 488 there is a instrument panel on the passenger side that lets you know the speed and what gear the car is in . No reason to look at steering cluster to see how fast you are going it’s all right in front of you . I think after years of driving you tend to look for things where you are used to seeing them
It was just something that stuck out to me for some reason .

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Deleted
Last edited by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

Laohu wrote:Did anyone catch the part where Katsumoto looks over at the steering wheel cluster to see how fast they going then complains about the speed . Magnum then tells him what gear there in the paddle shifts down to slow down .
I can’t really call this a blooper but in the the 488 there is a instrument panel on the passenger side that lets you know the speed and what gear the car is in . No reason to look at steering cluster to see how fast you are going it’s all right in front of you . I think after years of driving you tend to look for things where you are used to seeing them
It was just something that stuck out to me for some reason .
As far as I am aware, the central instrument only displays the revs and the gear.

Both displays left and right can be personalized, usually the right display is used for the Satnav (but it can also be configured to display the speed) And also keep in mind, that the display is recessed to fight reflexions, so it may be not well visible from the passenger seat.