Witty Banter vs. Bickering

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

Witty Banter vs. Bickering

#1 Post by T.Q. »

I got really tired of the new H50 because of the bickering between McGarrett and Danno.

At first it was cute, then annoying, now it completely turns me off. Just too constant and over the top.

Perhaps it’s a modern day phenomenon. Where the gentle, witty, humour of shows like the real Magnum, P.I. has been replaced.

Oh, I realize Magnum and Higgins ‘bickered’ a lot but it served a purpose in character development (father/son, responsible/irresponsible, early foes to eventually become friends) and sort of usually ended with the scene. :magnum: :higgins:

Just seems bickering and sarcasm has taken over as a substitute for better more witty writing.

JMHO
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Re: Witty Banter vs. Bickering

#2 Post by Reef monkey »

I think it's supposed to represent "male bonding", that they bicker like brothers because they are so close and care for each other. The problem is, it comes across more as "bro culture", perpetuates an unhealthy idea that men should bust each others' balls to show their affection for each other instead of just being emotionally authentic with each other. It was a lazy was for Lenkov to sell the idea of Steve and Danny's "brotherhood", and he established it so early in the series, ahead of actually developing their relationship over time. In the original Magnum, the contentious relationship between Magnum and Higgins was painstakingly developed over several seasons, so in the first season Higgins was genuinely annoyed by Magnum's presence on the estate and wanted him off, but over time their repartee was part of their generational and cultural differences reacting with their bond. But now in the new Magnum, Lenkov jumps right into Shiggins doing favors for Magnum, like the bond is already established, in the pilot.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850