For all the haters of the new show

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

Re: For all the haters of the new show

#91 Post by Laohu »

Going to have to disagree with you on that T.Q. the Lily Magnum idea would have been done at ABC . TS is not likely to indorse that idea or guest star in it on any network but CBS . TS has already stated He does not want to see a old Magnum . That idea died in development might have been ok if it had been made 10 to 15 years ago but time wise I think sadly the idea is now dated .

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by K Hale »

What’s wrong with old Magnum? I would love old Magnum. We all get old, if we’re lucky.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Laohu »

You would have to ask TS he as closer to it then us maybe he considers it something he did when he was young now he has out grown out of the role ? Just trying to give you a answer but I think his fans want to see him do Magnum more then he wants to do Magnum . He has been there done that got the Hawaiian shirt in the Smithsonian to prove it . Magnum was good to him it was a part of his life , a good part of his life.He will always be tied to it but it was just one role that he played of many .

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by K Hale »

Well of course he can do whatever he wants. I’m just saying there’s nothing wrong with somebody growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by T.Q. »

Laohu wrote:Going to have to disagree with you on that T.Q. the Lily Magnum idea would have been done at ABC . TS is not likely to indorse that idea or guest star in it on any network but CBS . TS has already stated He does not want to see a old Magnum . That idea died in development might have been ok if it had been made 10 to 15 years ago but time wise I think sadly the idea is now dated .
My comment was related to bondtoys saying original Magnum fans wouldn’t like it and he “prefer[s] the reboot like it is now over anything remotely connected to that suggestion”.

I don’t think the idea is dated.

Lily would be late-30s?

And Tom*, Larry and Roger could have theoretically participated.

Guess we’ll never know.

* CBS doesn’t own Tom Selleck. Many actors guest spot on shows on other networks.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by Laohu »

As close as I can figure Lily would be would be 38 or 39 . While it would not be unreasonable I think the concept works better when she is like 28 or 29 .
I don’t think I would use the words owned by CBS . I would think of it as loyal to CBS it is kind of like his home base . They have a long relationship that has been beneficial to them both if he was behind the Lily Magnum project he could of come out in favor of it when they were trying to get it made . A more resonable take is he did not like it and let it die in development with out his support .

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#97 Post by Pahonu »

I believe Universal owned/owns the rights to Magnum, p.i. The original series was declined by ABC and Glen Larson brought Bellisario aboard and took it to CBS. I don't know how this fits into the arguments about CBS or Selleck approving or disapproving of the new show but the bottom line is they don't control the rights. I also think the previous idea of a show revolving around Lily was with a different network who declined to purchase it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Selleck was approached out of respect only, it seems, and he respectfully kept out of the way. Realistically, however, he could have done nothing to stop it. Just some things to consider.

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by Laohu »

As far as I can tell Universal own the rights to Magnum PI not sure if they own it completely or not . Larson and or Bellisario might have a piece of it . Universal is owed by Comcast who is owed by NBC .
Selleck was brought in for his stamp of approval at CBS out of respect and was given say if it would go into production which he did so at that point it does seem like he could of stopped it . If CBS wanted to make it anyway yes they could of but if they were going to do it no matter what TS said then you really run the risk of making TS mad for no reason . Just make it and be done with it why bring him in in the first place . From Selleck’s comments it seems that Lenkov passion for the project won him over .
CBS waited 30 years to remake the show , Selleck is still on the network with a show that has run longer then Magnum did . Selleck is proud of the Magnum he made He understand that whatever the new show does will not change that . No reason to be petty about it not really going to affect his life in a negative way if they make the new show and might even affect some of his friends and fellow coworkers in a positive way .

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Selleck was approached out of respect only, it seems, and he respectfully kept out of the way. Realistically, however, he could have done nothing to stop it.
I agree. There was nothing he could do and he knew it. They asked him because they knew what he had said about previous attempts and they knew the entertainment press would question him about it. It was a preventative measure. His answer is very tepid imo.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#100 Post by ConchRepublican »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
Selleck was approached out of respect only, it seems, and he respectfully kept out of the way. Realistically, however, he could have done nothing to stop it.
I agree. There was nothing he could do and he knew it. They asked him because they knew what he had said about previous attempts and they knew the entertainment press would question him about it. It was a preventative measure. His answer is very tepid imo.

CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by Laohu »

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by Reef monkey »

K Hale wrote:What’s wrong with old Magnum? I would love old Magnum. We all get old, if we’re lucky.
Magnum could drive a Ferarri-branded Rascal! Imagine the chase scenes!

https://youtu.be/csuZHyW-iGI?t=22
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Laohu »

Reef monkey if old Magnum will use the Rascel then Old T.C. will have to back him him up with Air support with one of these.

https://youtu.be/u4ZfqqRKtCM

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by 308GUY »

Not meaning to "stir the pot" or anything like it...but had sort of an "epiphany" concerning my own personal perspective on the show and the "reboot"...

Much has been said, both pro and con...and I've been on both sides at different times....but it finally hit me why the new show bothered me in the first place.

It wasn't the casting in general..and it wasn't even Hernandez in the lead role...or his stature or lack of "chops" or that Higgins is now "Shiggins"....it's what I think a few others have maintained all along.

Tom Selleck IS Thomas Sullivan Magnum IV....Jay...and or anybody else who ever plays the part is doing just that...PLAYING the part!

I saw it as being like Abraham Lincoln....only Abe was Abe....but there have been many who've PLAYED Abe...on stage...on tv...in the movies...school plays...just about anywhere the "character" has appeared.....but only ABE was ABE! Only Tom Selleck is Thomas Magnum!

So...for ME.....I'm ok with that....NOBODY will EVER "BE" Thomas Magnum other than Tom Selleck.

As of now...it's a fact....not much OTHER than b**ch and moan about it we can do..except refuse to watch if that's our choice...but there it is...it's OUR choice.

I choose to watch and marvel at what DB, GL, TS, JH, REM, and LM CREATED! The legacy lives on...hopefully there will be other iterations in the future....all BASED on what our guys created and nurtured to an incredible level....so good...all of us just can't get past it....but like life itself...it goes on with us and without us.

But I do enjoy the show being back on the air...and garnering interest in the characters...the stories...the history...the exposure to "paradise"..I just like the fact that Magnum PI is STILL ON THE TELLY! :geek: :lol: 8)
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

croixdelorraine
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#105 Post by croixdelorraine »

NitroNick50 wrote:FFS, if you don't like the show, stop watching. I, for one, enjoy the new show. That said, I was a HUGE fan of the original, watched it every Thurs. night when I could. Magnum, Simon&Simon and Hill Street Blues. It was my only real television night, except for Monday Night Football, of course.

The thing is, I never expected an exact copy of the original and while I had some doubts, I gave it a chance and I enjoy it.

Just for the haters, I hope it lasts for 6 or 7 seasons.
I haven't seen the new show yet, as work and family time constraints have left me with little free time. But I have no problem with the idea. It's a reboot. It's not supposed to be the original. We have the original; eight seasons that many of us often watch from beginning to end when we can. One can't expect a carbon copy. It's not the eighties anymore, and neither are the target demographic of the same culture and outlook as us older folks. If the show is entertaining, I will applaud it as a good show. Besides, who knows how many younger people the sequel has interested in watching the original? My wife (seven years my junior) has expressed interest in watching it "to see why like it so much," though that type of show isn't really up her alley.