Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
No votes
9.0 (Excellent)
No votes
8.5 (Very Good)
6%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
6%
7.5 (Decent)
18%
7.0 (Average at Best)
6%
6.5 (Not So Good)
12%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
18%
5.0 (Just Awful)
18%
0.0 (Refuse to Watch)
18%

Total votes: 17

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season 1 Episode 3: The Woman Who Never Died (1.3)

#91 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I never even knew this was a 'thing' with the fairer sex and that Selleck is passe in favor of Jay's boyish teen look.
LOL! You didn't know it because it's a media myth! Mr. Hernandez looks like a doofus compared to this: Image Thomas Magnum in his shorts and Aloha shirts looked more like a grown man than Jay will ever look. I've never understood people making fun of TM's appearance and I suspect it mostly comes from jealous men. The man was GORGEOUS, period. TS is still a handsome man, but in the 1980s he was sex on legs (and we got to see almost all of his legs). :wink:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: I made a similar error on the Afghan Magnum Mania Board, the guy in charge there, Conch ibn ben Republic East,
put a Fatwa out on me. :D
Dobie, is this the guy?

RG, you crack me up!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by eagle »

K Hale wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Is K Hale a reference to a Magnum character, I don't recall the episode off hand.
It's my first initial and last name. :wink:
I can't do that. My name is so unique that there are literally only 2 people in the country with my name, and only a few hundred with my last name.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#94 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: I made a similar error on the Afghan Magnum Mania Board, the guy in charge there, Conch ibn ben Republic East,
put a Fatwa out on me. :D
Dobie, is this the guy?

That's him! :D
Thanks Rembrandt's Girl, I got a big kick out of that.

"I'm an occasional drinker. The kind that goes out for a beer and winds up in Singapore with
a full beard"...Philip Marlowe
Lewanai!

May the offspring of a thousand flies make nest in your armpits!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
I never even knew this was a 'thing' with the fairer sex and that Selleck is passe in favor of Jay's boyish teen look.
LOL! You didn't know it because it's a media myth! Mr. Hernandez looks like a doofus compared to this: Image Thomas Magnum in his shorts and Aloha shirts looked more like a grown man than Jay will ever look. I've never understood people making fun of TM's appearance and I suspect it mostly comes from jealous men. The man was GORGEOUS, period. TS is still a handsome man, but in the 1980s he was sex on legs (and we got to see almost all of his legs). :wink:
MagnumsLeftShoulder,
So your a female too? A Magnumette? Rembrandts Girl, K Hale as well. Who'd a thought you guys had your own sort of, coven here? Just kidding, ladies.
MagnumsLeftShoulder, I enjoy reading the posts from the female viewpoint, like the above. I hope you guys don't hold back because there are so many males here. For instance, until the recent COZI-TV commercials commenting on Magnum's shorts, I never knew that was a "thing", that as you say Selleck "was sex on legs", which made me laugh but now when I watch Magnum I am going "ew" at all the rear shots that as a regular guy I didn't notice before.
And now it turns out that "Higgie Baby" is eye candy for the ladies. Who knew? Are you guys swooning as well over Lt. Tanaka and his allure of mystery?
Do Scrung-o 's rakish ways and soul of the Libertine make him the louche of your dreams? Actually I am not sure what a louche is, but I think it fits.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

So your a female too?
Yes. :D
I hope you guys don't hold back because there are so many males here.
LOL! I don't. :wink:
And now it turns out that "Higgie Baby" is eye candy for the ladies.
Nope, not for me. :higgins: Actually, outside of Thomas, the show had a dearth of male "eye candy." :(

One more note, Magnum, P.I. was always a great commercial for Levi's (and I'm not the type to check out male or any other type of posteriors), but the Levi's were and still are a classic look. :magnum:

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by K Hale »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Who'd a thought you guys had your own sort of, coven here? Just kidding, ladies.
Haha! If you like, we'll let you be the next player in the center of the pentagram! :D
Of course not! The guys don't hold back, why should we?
For instance, until the recent COZI-TV commercials commenting on Magnum's shorts, I never knew that was a "thing", that as you say Selleck "was sex on legs", which made me laugh but now when I watch Magnum I am going "ew" at all the rear shots that as a regular guy I didn't notice before.
You didn't realize Selleck was a sex symbol? That surprises me.
And now it turns out that "Higgie Baby" is eye candy for the ladies. Who knew? Are you guys swooning as well over Lt. Tanaka and his allure of mystery?
Do Scrung-o 's rakish ways and soul of the Libertine make him the louche of your dreams? Actually I am not sure what a louche is, but I think it fits.
No. Other than Selleck and Hillerman, the other guys are just kinda there.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#98 Post by K Hale »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:
And now it turns out that "Higgie Baby" is eye candy for the ladies.
Nope, not for me. :higgins:
Hey, more for me! :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Who'd a thought you guys had your own sort of, coven here? Just kidding, ladies.
Haha! If you like, we'll let you be the next player in the center of the pentagram! :D
Of course not! The guys don't hold back, why should we?
For instance, until the recent COZI-TV commercials commenting on Magnum's shorts, I never knew that was a "thing", that as you say Selleck "was sex on legs", which made me laugh but now when I watch Magnum I am going "ew" at all the rear shots that as a regular guy I didn't notice before.
You didn't realize Selleck was a sex symbol? That surprises me.
No. Other than Selleck and Hillerman, the other guys are just kinda there.
Hi K Hale,
"Center of the pentagram"? LOL maybe next time. Yes I realize Selleck is a sex symbol, but he has that Duke Wayne vibe. Selleck's Magnum is someone you'd gladly have for a buddy or to have your back in a fight, but if your wife makes a salacious remark about his legs or says she wants to shag John Wayne when you are watching Stagecoach it wrecks the illusion, not out of jealousy, it's just, well, 'ew'.
However it is okay for men to point out Perdita Weeks attributes.

"Never give advice. A wise man doesn't need it and a fool won't take it"...Donald McDonald

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#100 Post by K Hale »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Yes I realize Selleck is a sex symbol, but he has that Duke Wayne vibe.
Ugh no! Bite your tongue, sir!
Selleck's Magnum is someone you'd gladly have for a buddy or to have your back in a fight, but if your wife makes a salacious remark about his legs or says she wants to shag John Wayne when you are watching Stagecoach it wrecks the illusion, not out of jealousy, it's just, well, 'ew'.
John Wayne? Really? :lol: Well, as I said, tastes do differ.

Weeks and Selleck are both nice-looking people. Not sure what you're getting at?
Last edited by K Hale on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Amian
Admiral

#101 Post by Amian »

The short shorts went out of style in the 90s and they haven't really come back since. They are now shorter than in the 90s, though.

It's interesting that Jay Hernandez's Magnum is the boyish one. I think his actual age is older than Tom Selleck's when he started the role. I don't know... they've both got good genes. Personally I aspire to have a rug on my chest, but alas, it's more threadbare than I'd like.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#102 Post by Majordomo »

I found this episode to be pretty good. I loved the Pahonu reference! I'm so glad Lenkov put it in there. I imagine that the original estate may have been demolished by the time they filmed this, so that gives even more weight to the endearment.

Ken Jeong as Luther Gillis will be interesting to see further developed. I bet the first episode fully dedicated to Luther and Magnum will be hilarious. It's definitely a whole different paradigm than Eugene Roche's original version. I just started rewatching season 4 of MPI and I had watched Luther Gillis: File #521 at lunch on Tuesday. That night I decided to watch this episode and lo and behold! There was Luther #2....I couldn't believe the coincidence! I was a little disappointed that the episode did not revolve around Luther more, but it was still a neat intro to the character.

The golf swings did look pretty bad. Unless golf is going to be a recurring theme in the show, I think I could have done without those scenes. Plus, I couldn't get over the fact that they could have simply teed off right in front of the manor (mansion?...house?) and aimed for the water.

And what's the deal with Tanaka getting promoted? Does that mean he will not be a regular on the show? Is this Detective Katsumoto character supposed to be the new regular? Does Tanaka's promotion mean he will start making appearances on the H50 show? What does it all mean?!?!?
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Steve »

Majordomo wrote:I found this episode to be pretty good. I loved the Pahonu reference! I'm so glad Lenkov put it in there. I imagine that the original estate may have been demolished by the time they filmed this, so that gives even more weight to the endearment.

Ken Jeong as Luther Gillis will be interesting to see further developed. I bet the first episode fully dedicated to Luther and Magnum will be hilarious. It's definitely a whole different paradigm than Eugene Roche's original version. I just started rewatching season 4 of MPI and I had watched Luther Gillis: File #521 at lunch on Tuesday. That night I decided to watch this episode and lo and behold! There was Luther #2....I couldn't believe the coincidence! I was a little disappointed that the episode did not revolve around Luther more, but it was still a neat intro to the character.
I thought Ken Jeong as Luther Gillis might be okay when I first heard about it but not after seeing this. It was either him, or the writing for the character that was way off and after thinking about it I would rather see Billy Gardell play Luther H. Gillis.........Just one of my random thoughts to keep the series moving forward....

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

K Hale wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Yes I realize Selleck is a sex symbol, but he has that Duke Wayne vibe.
Ugh no! Bite your tongue, sir!
Selleck's Magnum is someone you'd gladly have for a buddy or to have your back in a fight, but if your wife makes a salacious remark about his legs or says she wants to shag John Wayne when you are watching Stagecoach it wrecks the illusion, not out of jealousy, it's just, well, 'ew'.
John Wayne? Really? :lol: Well, as I said, tastes do differ.
Weeks and Selleck are both nice-looking people. Not sure what you're getting at?
Hi K Hale,
I was probably clumsy in my writing. What I meant was, I just naturally go "yuck" in response to someone verbally (as in COZI TV's latest commercials) celebrating a shot of Sellecks rear end in clinging wet shorts, then showing a bunch of other shots of same from other episodes of the series.
Now I understand there is nothing wrong with doing that, COZI just wants to remind female viewers of part of what they like about the show. I get it, Selleck is a good looking man. More power to you Tom. But if it was 1983 and you and me and MagnumsLeftShoulder are watching Magnum PI being filmed as Selleck emerges from the surf in front of us and you then both elbow me and go "oh baby", I instead just see a guy emerging from the water, not someone I want to date.
Now if it was Bo Derek in "10", now your talking.
Please, I'm begging you, can we put this 'behind' us now? :)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by K Hale »

I still have no idea why this subject has come up, but okay. :lol:
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!