The Trailer

For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnom
Lieutenant

Re: The Trailer

#91 Post by Magnom »

First I have to say that I have not been here for a long time. I have just seen the re-boot and I hate it, it is not something that I would watch.
Steve :)

"It don`t mean nothing"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#92 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kevster wrote: Or in my case, Xfinity and Fresh-Made Cider Doughnuts. ;-)

But I think blaming Conch might be well-advised anyway. The Sunday morning after streaming a Buffett concert may require more than one Bloody Mary, after all...
Guilty as charged .... Flemingo Key has no webcam as of yet, how'd you know?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by Kevster »

ConchRepublican wrote:

But I think blaming Conch might be well-advised anyway. The Sunday morning after streaming a Buffett concert may require more than one Bloody Mary, after all...
You referenced it on FB. I checked out Radio Margaritaville because of your post, but JB wasn't on at the time I checked RM.

Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays makes regular appearances on the rotation around here. Yea, I'm also a fan.

I live in coastal Florida, half way between Orlando and Miami, and your love for Buffett just reminded me that I'd written down a couple cool JB stories for a FB post years ago. I just confirmed they're saved on my PC. Since I did save them, here ya' go.

First one... If you remember after 9-11, the news coverage talked a lot about "The Wall" between law enforcement and intelligence, and how that could have prevented the attack. Well, at that time, "The Wall" was a single individual who made the choices. in the 1990's, a friend of mine who was then a U.S. Attorney, was "The Wall" for a couple of years (couple years before 9/11). That's a pretty noteworthy position, which opened doors to pretty interesting circles years later when my friend lived here in Florida. With that set up: My friend graduated from law school in Miami in the early to mid-70's. He lived on a boat in Miami while attending school, and a fair number of boats there at this marina were also "live-aboards." Right at the entrance to my friend's "gangway" was a hose and hose bib for people at the marina to use. Well, one morning, my buddy gets up late, races out and off his boat only to get tripped up in the uncoiled hose that had just been thrown down in a pile. The way he described it, he almost went in the water, and ended up a little scraped up. Of course, he gets up really pissed, while this other guy starts yelling out to him asking if he was okay and apologizing for not coiling the hose. My friend, who's slightly above average height and quite thin, just absolutely rips into the guy. Despite a pretty salty and nasty verbal barrage, the guy never retaliated... He just apologized the whole time. A day or so later, somebody on a neighboring boat asks my friend if he knew who he was yelling at the other morning. My friend says, "No." The neighbor tells him that it was Jimmy Buffett, who was staying on a boat while recording at Criteria in Miami. Well, my friend wanted to apologize for getting so irate, but especially once he found out who he'd yelled at. As it worked out, my friend never saw J.B. again. Decades later, he's at some party in Palm Beach (several years post-9/11), and Jimmy Buffett was there. He goes over and manages to introduce himself, and does so by mentioning the event and apologizing to JB in the process. Jimmy remembered it vividly!!!! JB felt so bad and was so surprised at how irate my friend got. Before my friend walked away, several people snapped photos (including my friend's wife). My friend got a signed photo of the two of them from JB about three-weeks later. On the photo, "Sorry I didn't coil the hose... Jimmy Buffet." My friend had it hung proudly on the wall of his den along with pictures of him with two different presidents.

Quick P.S.: The thing is, my friend didn't give out his personal address. JB had to make a real point of getting the address of then ACTIVE U.S. Attorney.

Second one.... I lived in Jupiter, FL growing up. Twenty miles north of Palm Beach. In 1980-1981, I was out fishing with my father in the Jupiter Inlet while some friends of mine were surfing at the Inlet Park just south of the Inlet. If I wasn't fishing, I would have been with them. Well, the parking lot went right to the dune there (all the seagrapes that grow on the dune had been trashed by Hurricane David in 1979, allowing people in the parking lot to pull right up to the dune and see over it to the water...). So, my friends are walking back to where their families are and cutting through the parking lot with their boards when they hear a guitar and someone singing on the opposite side of a van backed at an angle to the dune. Now, this van wasn't close to the actual beach access (showers and bathroom area), so it wasn't too close to where most of the people were.... When my friends heard the singing, somebody said, "Boy, that sounds like Buffett." Even though most of my friends weren't into Buffett, somebody obviously knew the voice well enough. So, my friends walk around to the other side of the van, and it actually was Jimmy Buffett!!!!. It was JB in a chair, noodling on an acoustic guitar, writing on a note pad, with a small cooler beside him, and he was supposed to be as nice as he could be to these 12-13 year old guys. The first thing he did was ask them to keep their voices down. He said he like to "come up this way to write" and he wouldn't be able to write if too many people were coming around. So, he talked with them a couple minutes about the surfing scene, and offered each of them (three of them) an autograph on paper he tore out of the back of his notebook in exchange for them keeping it a secret. After that, they went on down and got drinks from their family while "sworn to secrecy." The van he was there for couple more hours before it/he left. Starting that evening, they told me, some other friends, family, neighbors, and anybody else who would listen. They proudly showed off their autographs to everyone. The little local paper ran a story a few weeks later about it, complete with a picture of the guys with their surfboards. Well, after that, we never heard about JB coming around to write anymore... Imagine that.

There you go. Personally, I have Burt Reynolds stories, but I was SO CLOSE to having a cool "first-hind" Jimmy Buffett story!!! Also... My dad and I didn't catch ANYTHING the day I missed meeting JB. OF COURSE!!!

So, it's definitely not Magnum oriented, but it's in a semi-related vibe... LOL.
Trust Me!!!

karolis
Admiral

#94 Post by karolis »

I haven't watched "The Last Page" episode of the second season recently (will be watching it today or tomorrow), but according to Episode Guide notes list (#6), Magnum's call sign in Vietnam was "White Knight". Maybe Lenkov really put some work analysing the original.

ConchRepublican

#95 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kevster wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:

You referenced it on FB. I checked out Radio Margaritaville because of your post, but JB wasn't on at the time I checked RM.

Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays makes regular appearances on the rotation around here. Yea, I'm also a fan.

I live in coastal Florida, half way between Orlando and Miami, and your love for Buffett just reminded me that I'd written down a couple cool JB stories for a FB post years ago. I just confirmed they're saved on my PC. Since I did save them, here ya' go.

First one... If you remember after 9-11, the news coverage talked a lot about "The Wall" between law enforcement and intelligence, and how that could have prevented the attack. Well, at that time, "The Wall" was a single individual who made the choices. in the 1990's, a friend of mine who was then a U.S. Attorney, was "The Wall" for a couple of years (couple years before 9/11). That's a pretty noteworthy position, which opened doors to pretty interesting circles years later when my friend lived here in Florida. With that set up: My friend graduated from law school in Miami in the early to mid-70's. He lived on a boat in Miami while attending school, and a fair number of boats there at this marina were also "live-aboards." Right at the entrance to my friend's "gangway" was a hose and hose bib for people at the marina to use. Well, one morning, my buddy gets up late, races out and off his boat only to get tripped up in the uncoiled hose that had just been thrown down in a pile. The way he described it, he almost went in the water, and ended up a little scraped up. Of course, he gets up really pissed, while this other guy starts yelling out to him asking if he was okay and apologizing for not coiling the hose. My friend, who's slightly above average height and quite thin, just absolutely rips into the guy. Despite a pretty salty and nasty verbal barrage, the guy never retaliated... He just apologized the whole time. A day or so later, somebody on a neighboring boat asks my friend if he knew who he was yelling at the other morning. My friend says, "No." The neighbor tells him that it was Jimmy Buffett, who was staying on a boat while recording at Criteria in Miami. Well, my friend wanted to apologize for getting so irate, but especially once he found out who he'd yelled at. As it worked out, my friend never saw J.B. again. Decades later, he's at some party in Palm Beach (several years post-9/11), and Jimmy Buffett was there. He goes over and manages to introduce himself, and does so by mentioning the event and apologizing to JB in the process. Jimmy remembered it vividly!!!! JB felt so bad and was so surprised at how irate my friend got. Before my friend walked away, several people snapped photos (including my friend's wife). My friend got a signed photo of the two of them from JB about three-weeks later. On the photo, "Sorry I didn't coil the hose... Jimmy Buffet." My friend had it hung proudly on the wall of his den along with pictures of him with two different presidents.

Quick P.S.: The thing is, my friend didn't give out his personal address. JB had to make a real point of getting the address of then ACTIVE U.S. Attorney.

Second one.... I lived in Jupiter, FL growing up. Twenty miles north of Palm Beach. In 1980-1981, I was out fishing with my father in the Jupiter Inlet while some friends of mine were surfing at the Inlet Park just south of the Inlet. If I wasn't fishing, I would have been with them. Well, the parking lot went right to the dune there (all the seagrapes that grow on the dune had been trashed by Hurricane David in 1979, allowing people in the parking lot to pull right up to the dune and see over it to the water...). So, my friends are walking back to where their families are and cutting through the parking lot with their boards when they hear a guitar and someone singing on the opposite side of a van backed at an angle to the dune. Now, this van wasn't close to the actual beach access (showers and bathroom area), so it wasn't too close to where most of the people were.... When my friends heard the singing, somebody said, "Boy, that sounds like Buffett." Even though most of my friends weren't into Buffett, somebody obviously knew the voice well enough. So, my friends walk around to the other side of the van, and it actually was Jimmy Buffett!!!!. It was JB in a chair, noodling on an acoustic guitar, writing on a note pad, with a small cooler beside him, and he was supposed to be as nice as he could be to these 12-13 year old guys. The first thing he did was ask them to keep their voices down. He said he like to "come up this way to write" and he wouldn't be able to write if too many people were coming around. So, he talked with them a couple minutes about the surfing scene, and offered each of them (three of them) an autograph on paper he tore out of the back of his notebook in exchange for them keeping it a secret. After that, they went on down and got drinks from their family while "sworn to secrecy." The van he was there for couple more hours before it/he left. Starting that evening, they told me, some other friends, family, neighbors, and anybody else who would listen. They proudly showed off their autographs to everyone. The little local paper ran a story a few weeks later about it, complete with a picture of the guys with their surfboards. Well, after that, we never heard about JB coming around to write anymore... Imagine that.

There you go. Personally, I have Burt Reynolds stories, but I was SO CLOSE to having a cool "first-hind" Jimmy Buffett story!!! Also... My dad and I didn't catch ANYTHING the day I missed meeting JB. OF COURSE!!!

So, it's definitely not Magnum oriented, but it's in a semi-related vibe... LOL.
Those are GREAT Buffett stories! Reinforces what I have heard about him being a nice guy as well.

My video feed wasn't working well most of the show but we caught the tail end. I watched most of Live By the Bay instead. :-)
CoziTV Superfan spot

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by KENJI »

karolis wrote:I haven't watched "The Last Page" episode of the second season recently (will be watching it today or tomorrow), but according to Episode Guide notes list (#6), Magnum's call sign in Vietnam was "White Knight". Maybe Lenkov really put some work analysing the original.
You're right there karolis, nice find!
I'll give Lenkov a point for that one. :wink:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:
karolis wrote:I haven't watched "The Last Page" episode of the second season recently (will be watching it today or tomorrow), but according to Episode Guide notes list (#6), Magnum's call sign in Vietnam was "White Knight". Maybe Lenkov really put some work analysing the original.
That was a great find. So far Lenkov has surprised me with his use of some of the "icons" of the original: the team ring, the 308GTS, the original Island Hoppers paint scheme, the war time flashbacks, the Magnum/Higgins complicated relationship, the humor, Zeus and Apollo, the surf ski, "An Estate", a mysterious and probably never seen Robin Masters, the original theme music and, did we determine if they were drinking Coops or was it Coors? He has done much more in a 3 minute trailer than he ever did in the Hawaii Five-O reboot that just kept the names and a very rare shot of the original Mercury in Steve's garage........

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#98 Post by Core 4 »

Steve wrote:
KENJI wrote:
That was a great find. So far Lenkov has surprised me with his use of some of the "icons" of the original: the team ring, the 308GTS, the original Island Hoppers paint scheme, the war time flashbacks, the Magnum/Higgins complicated relationship, the humor, Zeus and Apollo, the surf ski, "An Estate", a mysterious and probably never seen Robin Masters, the original theme music and, did we determine if they were drinking Coops or was it Coors? He has done much more in a 3 minute trailer than he ever did in the Hawaii Five-O reboot that just kept the names and a very rare shot of the original Mercury in Steve's garage........
And Detroit Tigers cap. ;)

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by 308GUY »

Kevster:

This has nothing to do with this topic, and I apologize in advance for posting it here, but couldn't help it when I read your story about JB & Criteria.

Reason being, I too was involved in music back in the 70's and stayed on a house boat docked at a marina in MB. It belonged to a retired CG officer named Hartinelle, and he was financing a week long recording session for us at Criteria studio's in MB. We spent the nights going over our material and our days in the studio putting down tracks. Worked with a couple producers (Ron & Howie Albert) and got to meet Eric Clapton while there.

I just found it extremely amusing that JB stayed on a boat while he was doing sessions at Criteria!

That's all...just reminded me of some good times in my own past.

The "reboot"....I've already put forth some thoughts I had on the subject, but I'd like to add that I never meant to make any "disparaging" remarks about the youth of today, or to suggest or imply that they are "shallow", only that they grew up with a different view of the world than those of us whose youth has long passed, and it takes something different to grab their interest than it does mine. After all....we were ALL "youngsters" at one point...right?....and the youth of today will become the "oldsters" of tomorrow, provided the ones calling the shots now don't blow the whole thing up first! I never meant that young folks couldn't appreciate the depth of a good story or not understand deeper relationships....but something has to get them interested enough to take a longer look. Ok, I should shut up now.....but before I do....I feel compelled to add:

Do I LIKE where the "new" MPI looks like it's headed...not so far...but it's what we got right now....if it doesn't "make it" in the market place, there will likely never be another attempt made to commercialize it again, at least not in my lifetime. Time will tell....it always does. If we are not willing/able to "roll with the punches", or adapt to change, then we are doomed to perish.

As far as the characters...well....nothing and nobody can EVER replace what or who we loved in the original. Since that's not possible....what's left? Leave it in the archives and let it fade into history. A new show, even a bad one, will spark new interest, even if it dies a horrible death, and that will create new fans of the original and give a new appreciation to what we already know is the best tv that's ever been made! :magnum: Not sure about "Shiggins"...but they didn't ask me...so we take what the "smart" people decided on, or we ignore the whole mess. Rick and TC...I don't really have a problem with the choices, but not much to go on at this juncture. TM...yea...well...maybe they're going after the Latino audience? It IS larger than you might think. And as far as "measurements"....maybe the "hero" doesn't have to be the tallest man in the room? We've been inundated with "tall - dark - & handsome" for as long as I can remember being alive, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, James Stewart, Rock Hudson, etc., etc., etc.,...we LIKE TALL heroes! Now you get into all that bit about what a "real man" is....it's one who takes care of business and does what he has to do. In reality, it actually has nothing to do with his height, or weight, or looks...but we're talking about ENTERTAINMENT...and what we've come to acknowledge as "desirable" Subjective, in my opinion, but I'm not here to argue with anybody. I just wanted to say that this incarnation of Magnum is geared more toward the younger set. If it's not to their liking...it will go away...I promise! I always remember that "cartoons" (you know...for the "kids"...) are made by the supposed ADULTS!

I could go on, but this is not the time or place, and there'd really be no point....would there? :geek:

I think it's great that we have a place to discuss this stuff...but let's wait and see what develops before we send it to the shredder? :magnum:
Last edited by 308GUY on Sun May 20, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#100 Post by Nikita70 »

Have they announced a date for the pilot premiere?

Core 4
Vice Admiral

#101 Post by Core 4 »

No. But it will probably be September 24.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote:And as far as "measurements"....maybe the "hero" doesn't have to be the tallest man in the room? We've been inundated with "tall - dark - & handsome" for as long as I can remember being alive, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, James Stewart, Rock Hudson, etc., etc., etc.,...we LIKE TALL heroes! Now you get into all that bit about what a "real man" is....it's one who takes care of business and does what he has to do. In reality, it actually has nothing to do with his height, or weight, or looks...but we're talking about ENTERTAINMENT...and what we've come to acknowledge as "desirable" Subjective, in my opinion, but I'm not here to argue with anybody.
I've done my fair share of joking about Jay Hernandez's height but I'm doing so because of the choice of the actor. I simply do not think Jay Hernandez is right for the role of TM. And now that I've seen the trailer and the actor interviews, to me he also comes across as too cocky. It has nothing at all to do with tall men or heroes or our society. It's a tv role and I think he is a bad choice.

ConchRepublican

#103 Post by ConchRepublican »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
perfectlykevin wrote:Anyone else having difficulty seeing the trailer. Went back to watch it and it is an "error." Oddly, it is across all sights I'm trying to view it.
Conch?....... Conch?!?!....... WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE INTERNET?!?!

For what it's worth, CBS turned off the comments on the trailer and as for "likes":

Thumbs up - 755
Thumbs down - 527

I'm thinking the suits are a bit concerned with it's reception.
CoziTV Superfan spot

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#104 Post by eagle »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:I've done my fair share of joking about Jay Hernandez's height but I'm doing so because of the choice of the actor. I simply do not think Jay Hernandez is right for the role of TM. And now that I've seen the trailer and the actor interviews, to me he also comes across as too cocky. It has nothing at all to do with tall men or heroes or our society. It's a tv role and I think he is a bad choice.
Hey, RG, I've been thinking the same thing. The special sauce seems to be missing from the reboot -- but then I don't think anyone could remake that special sauce. TC and Rick seem to be okay (they may or may not be "good"; time will tell), but Higgins and Magnum just both seem wrong to me. My thinking is that it's the "Fast & Furious" coming out in the reboot, and F&F isn't what made the original an excellent show. It is, however, what many viewers today seem to want.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by T.Q. »

Steve wrote:Also posted earlier by Core4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADAeeJclFIU&t=20s
GARBAGE!

More downvotes than upvotes on vid.

2nd last scene with cliff? Laughable Hollywood garbage.

#NotMyMagnum
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.