For discussions about the new CBS Magnum P.I. reboot

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re: Ferrari

#91 Post by ENSHealy »

karolis wrote:Yesterday i found this video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmyziivWCCM

It features Jay Hernandez, Ferrari 488 and 308.
Despite JH's slight douchiness and his confirmation that the 308 is indeed gone for good in the new series, this was actually an enjoyable watch.

I disagree with every conclusion they came to, but still enjoyed it.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ENSHealy wrote:
karolis wrote:Yesterday i found this video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmyziivWCCM

It features Jay Hernandez, Ferrari 488 and 308.
Despite JH's slight douchiness and his confirmation that the 308 is indeed gone for good in the new series, this was actually an enjoyable watch.

I disagree with every conclusion they came to, but still enjoyed it.
I watched the video - pretty cool. What in particular did you disagree with? That the newer Ferrari handles better than the 308? I'm pretty sure that's a given. The 308 is definitely more iconic, no question about that. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's not easy to handle or comfortable to drive. Of course that doesn't mean I wouldn't almost die to take it out for a spin!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by ENSHealy »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:I watched the video - pretty cool. What in particular did you disagree with?
I just disagreed with them both preferring the 488, which of course they had to say, but it’s a soulless answer.

Also, I hated this concept:

MiniMag: "In the pilot the 308 gets demolished…it’s kinda like saying, we’re paying homage to the original…this is like the old school one, we drive it, it gets destroyed, we move on to this car, and this is my car, I’m setting the tone for future episodes."

It’s true, I just don’t like it. They didn't have to destroy it. I get it, they're breaking with the past, but they didn't have to drive it off a cliff, they could have kept it around so every once in a while MiniMag could drive while T.C. is tuning up the 488 and voiding the warranty.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by Steve »

I am of the thought that the 308 is one of the sexiest cars ever built. I see one and I don't think "old" I just think "wow!" Pininfarina got that body just right....The 488, as Juliette Higgins tells Little M, you're driving a big red tally whacker.........(although it is a Ferrari)......

Thomas_Magnum
Commander

#95 Post by Thomas_Magnum »

Checking the price of a USED 488... $250,000.00 +! The 308 was $60,000.00. That's in $114,000.00 ~ in today's dollars. Wow.
...and that, as they say, is the hell of it.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

ENSHealy wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:I watched the video - pretty cool. What in particular did you disagree with?
I just disagreed with them both preferring the 488, which of course they had to say, but it’s a soulless answer.

Also, I hated this concept:

MiniMag: "In the pilot the 308 gets demolished…it’s kinda like saying, we’re paying homage to the original…this is like the old school one, we drive it, it gets destroyed, we move on to this car, and this is my car, I’m setting the tone for future episodes."

It’s true, I just don’t like it. They didn't have to destroy it. I get it, they're breaking with the past, but they didn't have to drive it off a cliff, they could have kept it around so every once in a while MiniMag could drive while T.C. is tuning up the 488 and voiding the warranty.
I completely agree with you about the homaging/paying respects nonsense. How exactly does someone pay respect to something by destroying it?? :? We pay respect to the original show by destroying its iconic car. Brilliant! Even the Five-Zero reboot had enough sense to keep McGarrett's old Mercury and have the new guy take it out for a spin on a rare occasion. It's treated more as a collector's item in the reboot. MPI could have done the same thing. But no, let's smash it into pieces with a truck and then toss it over the cliff. Talk about a love letter to the original series, eh? :roll:

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#97 Post by KENJI »

In S1E6 we find out the code to the Ferrari car alarm is Aug.4th....Robin's birthday.